Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I'm curious. Does something about them turn you off or did you just simply not enjoy them? I do know a lot of people tend to shy away from them since the more overzealous fans (myself included :V) tend to treat them more favorably at the expense of most of the 3D games.

No, the games are perfectly fine. I just don't get the same kick out of them that most other people tend to do, and I mostly just like the 3D games more (minus Rush, I really love that game). I can see myself getting the game in the late future, but there's nothing that's giving me all the incentive to go out and buy it Day 1, y'know. I would never let a fanbase stop me from playing a game that I'll think I'd enjoy (I guess Forces may be a good example of that lol), even if there are some elitists/overzealous fans, my opinion on the game wouldn't really change.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Kintor said:

All it shows is that Sonic Team understands the popular aesthetic styles among people who like to create Sonic OCs and indeed any kind of anthropomorphic fan character. Which incidentally, the Sonic franchise has been influencing for years, thanks to the sheer size of the Sonic fanbase and the prominent place of Sonic games in popular culture. Things are just going full circle with Sonic Forces, as Sonic Team is now able to tap into that creative energy which has always existed around OCs.

I mean... and I don't mean this as a slight to anyone who did since everyone has their own personal levels of creativity.  But the people who EXCLUSIVELY used these creators to make characters?  Basically meant they wanted to take part with the whole OC thing but were too uncreative to come up with their own ideas.  Some creativity is still involved, but really it's the least creative way to make a character.  So really by saying Forces' own OC creator is "tapping into" something like this, one is only really saying it's tapping into the needs of those less creative fans to the full degree.

The most hardcore, passionate OC creators who design everything themselves are going to be forced to make compromises or just give in and design a new character within the limitations provided that won't feel nearly as much "theirs" as their own original ideas are.

Regardless though, moreso than either group, the target audience here is far more likely kids who have never designed an OC before.  Attracting anyone who took part in the ol' OC days and are now adult fans is kinda just a bonus.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, Kintor said:

All it shows is that Sonic Team understands the popular aesthetic styles among people who like to create Sonic OCs and indeed any kind of anthropomorphic fan character. 

Ah ok, so no need to do something original gotcha.

• Thumbs Up 6

6 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

So you're basically saying they embraced the bland designs instead of at least doing better if they really had to put a character creator in a main game.

By design the OC chosen for that trailer was something of an everyman, incorporating some common design themes that virtually all fans of OC characters can generally agree on. The remainder of the trailer then hinted at some of the more unique character options available, like that suit of armour. The idea is to encourage not to intimidate, this way anybody watching the trailer can feel they have a shot at creating a cool looking OC even if they've never drawn anything before.

The worst thing I can think to say about the design primarily featured in the trailer is that it uses the body type that 98% of the cast uses anyway.

If there's no other options for that sort of thing (which seems likely) then yeah that's a shame, but I'm not really surprised either.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Celestia said:

The worst thing I can think to say about the design primarily featured in the trailer is that it uses the body type that 98% of the cast uses anyway.

If there's no other options for that sort of thing (which seems likely) then yeah that's a shame, but I'm not really surprised either.

Didn't the stream on Thurday say there were more body type options tho?

Spoiler

SonicForces_Hero_Screen_02_1493934626.jpg

Risultati immagini per sonic forces oc

Spoilered for size, but the cgi character honestly looks better than any other option we've been shown so far. And we've been arguing about how bland it looked just going by the silouhette.

EDIT: I really can't get over how bad that pink cat looks.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Hero said:

Regardless, put yourself in Sega's position: Are you going to make a character creator with depth that few will appreciate, or would you focus on appealing to the majority of people by giving it just enough detail to satisfy the more common, average player? It makes sense. 

If I was in Sega's position I wouldn't be doing either.

But if I had to do one, I would've tried to make a better one than this.

• Thumbs Up 3

20 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

If your game had a character creator tool... you show off how advanced it is so people can create a wide diverse range of freaks. Not basic generic crap.

The purpose of the Custom Hero trailer wasn't to show off the full extent of the character creator but rather to simply annouce that Sonic OCs are now officially endorsed by Sega. This is why we got to see an everyman OC and only a hint at some of the customisation options. Further elaboaration can wait for another trailer, the idea itself was enough for the reveal.

29 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Look at any trailer which has a character creator in it. Saints row, Mass Effect, Wrestling games. They all show off their creators with a huge diverse range.

SEGA's marketing sucks generally speaking, so I could totally believe the creator is at least marginally more interesting than what they've shown off.

29 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Didn't the stream on Thurday say there were more body type options tho?

Case in point (maybe).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonikko said:

Mario has much more personality nowadays than Sonic. It always had personality in the first place, Sonic was just "coolest", in the West at least.

*Way past cool

• Thumbs Up 1

I've noticed something...

I really don't think it's Forces ITSELF being blasted on per-se.

I think the game is being tarnished by receptions not because of what it's doing, but WHO is doing it.

If it were the equivalent of Whitehead and his team making Forces, by and large I'd think most of what it's doing would be fairly energetically received as it's not what's in the game, it's the fear of the competency of what it's going for and those behind what it's going for.

The negativity toward Forces is misguided/perceived incorrectly I think. It's more of a "Why are these people still making the games?" rather than "Why is Sonic doing this?" basically.

Though that's something I could be wholeheartedly wrong about.

Think about BOOM and Big Red Button initially. Having new people behind Sonic is something that gives consumers a big sense of relief. If the product follows suit in the end, people are even more welcoming toward new folks behind the series, ala Mania.

Though the negative affect this has would be consumers developing even more of an intolerant mindset toward the products from those delivering the less favored titles.

So... Sticky situation. To put it frankly, Sonic Team is entering Big Red Button's shoes now.

• Thumbs Up 2

A character creator still wouldn't be necessary...

Sonic Team doesn't know what's up...hip...square...

4 minutes ago, Clewis said:

Correct.

People aren't impressed with Forces because it's not doing anything impressive, not because Sonic Team's at the helm. It's not like Colors and Generations got the same reception Forces is getting now. Those games still got a decent amount of praise despite Sonic Team's tarnished reputation.

Sadly the Colors title could still be considered a lucky fluke that happened to land at the ultimate time.

In regards to Generations, the praise was just initial for the most part. It didn't take long for its faults and shortness to become a big problem. Not on S4 levels mind you, but the acclaim didn't last, certainly not as long as Colors by any means which has taken until just recently to sour in folks mouths.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

No it is absolutely Forces itself that is being blasted, which should be very obvious to anyone who has read even a few pages of this thread.

"Initially" is the only point that RoL was given any leeway, yes, in part because BRB were an unknown element at the time. But as more actual footage started to drop and it became more and more clear what the game was, it didn't matter who was behind it. It was a shitty game, and BRB being a new team without the kind of baggage Sonic Team has had no effect on people judging the game. Likewise, that Forces is made by Sonic Team may have made people skeptical from the start, but if it actually looked good, people would acknowledge it. The problem is that it doesn't look good, regardless of who's responsible for it.

I think it DOES look good personally. The execution is the issue for me. I don't mind the game plays at all, deep down I love them, they're just not being done right. It's a matter of incompetence mixed with my own muddled opinions of those behind it, and this could be a likewise sentiment for many.

If you have issues with the execution, describe the gameplay as "not being done right", and call it "a matter of incompetence", I'm not sure under what measure you think it looks good. Ultimately though that's your opinion and you're free to have it. But don't go projecting your issues with Sonic Team onto everyone else without any kind of evidence. Many people throughout this thread have made it very clear that they have issues with what is in the game, down to making specific complaints about things in the game, so it should be very clear that this is not just an issue with hating on Sonic Team.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

If you have issues with the execution, describe the gameplay as "not being done right", and call it "a matter of incompetence", I'm not sure under what measure you think it looks good. Ultimately though that's your opinion and you're free to have it. But don't go projecting your issues with Sonic Team onto everyone else without any kind of evidence. Many people throughout this thread have made it very clear that they have issues with what is in the game, down to making specific complaints about things in the game, so it should be very clear that this is not just an issue with hating on Sonic Team.

Oh, believe me I'm aware. It's just one potential issue of the many that exist. In my own way it was my intention to defend Forces itself with the claim that the hate on the game itself could be stemming from other things and not so much the fault of the title alone.

Forces is stuck in a very... Complicated situation at the moment. There are issues with the execution of the game plays within it, issues with who's behind it, issues with what's in it, issues with WHERE is in it even, and to top it off, Mania is a thing that SEGA consistently screams being "Proudly Presenting" while Forces...

They seem... Scared of it... They WANT to get it out there and for it to sell enough to profit from, but... There's just something missing, even in the advertisement of the title.

27 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

In regards to Generations, the praise was just initial for the most part.

Are we not talking about initial reactions primarily? It's not like Forces has been released and people are giving their honest thoughts on the final product.

During the initial reveal periods for Colors and Generations people liked what they saw and gave it appropriate praise, despite Sonic Team's past screw ups. Hell, similar reactions were even given during Lost World's reveal (even though it looked completely different), because of how Sonic Team handled Colors and Generations.

Obviously the same can't be said about Forces, but it's not because people know Sonic Team's involved, it's because of the game itself. The past 400 pages haven't been spent primarily lambasting the game solely because Sonic Team's developing it, after all.

I mean, there's a reason Forces' initial teaser advertised that it was being developed by the same people who made Colors and Generations.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Clewis said:

Are we not talking about initial reactions primarily? It's not like Forces has been released and people are giving their honest thoughts on the final product.

During the initial reveal periods for Colors and Generations people liked what they saw and gave it appropriate praise, despite Sonic Team's past screw ups. Hell, similar reactions were even given during Lost World's reveal (even though it looked completely different), because of how Sonic Team handled Colors and Generations.

Obviously the same can't be said about Forces, but it's not because people know Sonic Team's involved, it's because of the game itself. The past 400 pages haven't been spent primarily lambasting the game solely because Sonic Team's developing it, after all.

I mean, there's a reason Forces' initial teaser advertised that it was being developed by the same people who made Colors and Generations.

I'm actually talking more about post-release and in consumers hands, not really during the advertising time-span. Though that IS included nonetheless.

It's like I said however, it seems like a combination of both. It's many things revolving the game itself, and those behind it aren't helping, especially with the most recent writer revelation causing a fiasco all its own.

13 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I'm actually talking more about post-release and in consumers hands, not really during the advertising time-span.

I'd still say the general reception towards those games are positive, even after release. Yeah, I've read recent posts on here and a few other places that explain how flawed both games are (and I agree with most of them), but it's not like people's views on the games have suddenly flipped to the point where they're now considered nothing more than mediocre schlock like Lost World.

Again:

17 minutes ago, Clewis said:

there's a reason Forces' initial teaser advertised that it was being developed by the same people who made Colors and Generations.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Clewis said:

I'd still say the general reception towards those games are positive, even after release. Yeah, I've read recent posts on here and a few other places that explain how flawed both games are (and I agree with most of them), but it's not people's views on the games have suddenly flipped to the point where they're now considered nothing more than mediocre schlock like Lost World.

Again:

As someone who enjoyed Unleashed it seems to me that game would be the bigger one to promote as having worked on. Though then again I suppose I'm one of the few who consider it far above and beyond Colors and Generations combined in terms of game play, plot and overall depth.

I haven't spent anywhere near as much time with Colors nor' Generations as I have with Unleashed, it's still the game I go back to as far as Modern titles go.

• Thumbs Up 1