Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

As someone who enjoyed Unleashed it seems to me that game would be the bigger one to promote as having worked on.

That's nice, but it doesn't change the general reception Unleashed currently holds compared to its two sequels, which makes it obvious as to why they would be promoted instead.

I'm going to stop now considering we've blatantly wandered off from the initial subject.

1 minute ago, Clewis said:

That's nice, but it doesn't change the general reception Unleashed currently holds compared to its two sequels, which makes it obvious as to why they would be promoted instead.

I'm going to stop now considering we've blatantly wandered off from the initial subject.

I won't deny the general reception revolving the whole "werehog" aspect of the game, but it would be nice if Forces offers the same depth, if not more-so ala various concepts from Unleashed such as various hubs, countless missions pertaining to these hubs, unlockables like clips, art, music...

The whole "werehog" thing aside, I do hope Forces takes note of everything else Unleashed did.

Saying we're bashing the game because it's developed by Sonic Team is nonsense. If the game looked good or at least proved that the team behind it had some understanding of the franchise they're working on, I wouldn't have cared about who's developing it. I just want a great 3D game, I want to see Sonic shine in 3D as much as he does in 2D.

I mean, this game is the first entry in the series that manages to piss off almost everyone, classic fans are upset, modern fans are upset (a lot of them). Who's it pleasing in the first place?

• Thumbs Up 9

Honestly, I just think Sonic Team isn't very confident in Forces, and I feel that could be a detriment to the game in the long run. Classic Sonic is back despite his novelty already wearing off and Mania making his presence in Forces redundant. Original the Character seems fine enough, it's new territory for the franchise so we'll have to see how it plays out.

But I feel like with all these playstyles the game could end up having a major lack of focus, with all three playstyles only being decent. This is, again, due to Sega's lack of confidence in one style and attempts to appeal to different parts of the fanbase. But rather than making one amazing playstyle, they choose to make three and they'll all be worn thin in the long run.

I still think Forces will be decent. But it'll be only that.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Sonikko said:

I mean, this game is the first entry in the series that manages to piss off almost everyone, classic fans are upset, modern fans are upset (a lot of them). Who's it pleasing in the first place?

Ironically, all of the fans.

4 hours ago, Sonikko said:

Saying we're bashing the game because it's developed by Sonic Team is nonsense. If the game looked good or at least proved that the team behind it had some understanding of the franchise they're working on, I wouldn't have cared about who's developing it. I just want a great 3D game, I want to see Sonic shine in 3D as much as he does in 2D.

New fans.

And you say this like nobody likes this game, come on, outside SSMB people are very interested in Forces.

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

New fans.

And you say this like nobody likes this game, come on, outside SSMB people are very interested in Forces.

SSMB is a minority as far as opinions on Forces go. Sure there are people outside of here who don't care for it. But the general public impressions have positive, if not optimistic overall

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's an interesting question...

Sonic Forces...

Do you consider it the next MAIN game in the series...

Or...

Is it a SPIN-OFF in your eyes?

Which would you prefer Sonic Forces fall under?

If it is made by the Sonic Team...it is count as a main game. Why bother considering it a spin-off for foreign element?

I barely understand why people still care about whether it's a main game, spin off, canon, non canon.
I find it increasingly more difficult to see the diffrence. The entire franchise is bouncing all over the place like mad.

Considering Sonic Mania, a low budget digital subgame made by a small team of relative indy developers is one of the most SONIC-ey Sonic games we had in a while is saying something. And the constant Meta Wink WInk atmosphere in and out of the games is making everything melt together in one giant soup as well.

Whatever man, at this point Sonic School house is just as legit as Sonic Forces far as far as I'm concerned.
I gave up on the idea of fighting for what's canon or "real" anymore, saves a lot of a headache. It's clear the team is way more focused on experimenting and finding some kind of magical super formula to re-invent Sonic with then having any kind of cohesive framework for the series.

• Thumbs Up 7

10 hours ago, Joseph Mello said:

New fans.

10 hours ago, ZinogreVolt said:

SSMB is a minority as far as opinions on Forces go. Sure there are people outside of here who don't care for it. But the general public impressions have positive, if not optimistic overall

They did lose my pre-order, and I'm sure many others won't buy this game at launch either, all longtime Sonic fans. It's the first time in 15+ years I won't buy a Sonic game day one. I can't be alone in this.

I didn't buy the Sonic Boom games at launch either, and we've seen how those went, I'm sure that if you take out old Sonic fans from the equation the fanbase is not that huge. By old I don't necessarily mean 2D Sonic fans, even people that came in during the early 2000s.

I have pre-ordered Mania twice, one collector's for the Switch, and I spent 100€ for that on Amazon.co.uk, proving that when the game is right I'm more than willing to support it. I also bought the Steam edition. I want to send a clear message to SEGA.

Besides, I'm scrolling through Youtube comments on the OC reveal trailer, and the majority are meme comments, or people saying "they don't know what they've unleashed". Even under positive comments people are spamming and saying that OCs are bad. 

On the modern gameplay trailer there are a couple of positive comments, 80% are comments of people bashing people bashing the game, and the rest are people actually bashing the game.

The classic trailer is full of negative comments.

I don't think this is positive reception guys. The same happened on NeoGAF and within my real life friends group, same reactions, not all necessarily Sonic fans.

I think it's fair to say that this game is not widely rated as awesome or good even.

I repeat what I've said countless times. I don't want a 1:1 recreation of Classic Sonic in 3D, even if I'd absolutely LOVE that, if a game looks good then I'll be happy with it. Forces doesn't. It's OK at best, if I really want to be optimist about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course people are going to poke fun at the idea of Sonic OCs actually being a thing in Forces given the incredible stigma surrounding them. But there are far fewer people outright opposed to the idea than people who think it's silly, but could be fun nontheless (myself included).

I mean, Forces might not have the level of hype surrounding Mania. But public interest in the game is cautiously optimistic at worst from what I've gauged, unless you want to argue semantics.

tl;dr There are more people going 'Don't screw it up Sega' than 'Wow, Sega screwed up.'

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, ZinogreVolt said:

Of course people are going to poke fun at the idea of Sonic OCs actually being a thing in Forces given the incredible stigma surrounding them. But there are far fewer people outright opposed to the idea than people who think it's silly, but could be fun nontheless (myself included).

I mean, Forces might not have the level of hype surrounding Mania. But public interest in the game is cautiously optimistic at worst from what I've gauged, unless you want to argue semantics.

tl;dr There are more people going 'Don't screw it up Sega' than 'Wow, Sega screwed up.'

I understand what you're saying, it's just that the majority of comments I've seen have been more on the negative side than the positive one. Even the neutral comments just sound like they're making fun of Sonic because memes. I don't know if those people are actually interested in the games or just like to poke fun at it.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

I understand what you're saying, it's just that the majority of comments I've seen have been more on the negative side than the positive one. Even the neutral comments just sound like they're making fun of Sonic because memes. I don't know if those people are actually interested in the games or just like to poke fun at it.

That's fair, I guess its really all dependant on who you talk to and where you hang out on the internet. Either way I guess it doesn't really matter as far as our own outlooks on the game are concerned.

• Thumbs Up 3

If we're still talking about views of Sonic Forces, I've seen a mixture of both. On YouTube, depending on which video you go on, it's either positive or negative. But on the neutral videos, like the OC trailer on the official Sonic the Hedgehog channel, for the most part I've seen positive. I find most of the negative comments scarcely in the positives or in videos talking about the game negatively. That's just what I see, though.

Tl;dr but the custom characters were what most of the Sonic fans wanted, nowadays they hate on everything SEGA does.

1 minute ago, JackIsInTheStadium said:

Tl;dr but the custom characters were what most of the Sonic fans wanted, nowadays they hate on everything SEGA does.

I wouldn't most fans did. Sure there were some, but that seems like an exaggeration. Same for the hate.

I'd say most fans aren't opposed to it, not that they wanted it per se.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

I wouldn't most fans did. Sure there were some, but that seems like an exaggeration. Same for the hate.

I'd say most fans aren't opposed to it, not that they wanted it per se.

Okay, I kinda made a mistake there, I didn't mean the fans Wanted it to actually happen, I meant that they were making Fan Characters cause that's what they like to do, and SEGA thought of making it a thing in the game they are making, which just makes the fans angry instead of happy, well there is at least some fans that is happy about this.

17 minutes ago, JackIsInTheStadium said:

9 minutes ago, JackIsInTheStadium said:

Okay, I kinda made a mistake there, I didn't mean the fans Wanted it to actually happen, I meant that they were making Fan Characters cause that's what they like to do, and SEGA thought of making it a thing in the game they are making, which just makes the fans angry instead of happy, well there is at least some fans that is happy about this.

I am not making fan characters, am I not allowed to say I don't like them or does that cancel my fan status?

I've given what I consider deep analysis of why I don't think Forces is going to be a good game, and what I don't like about it.

I'm just so tired of hearing that we hate on everything SEGA does. Almost nobody hated Generations because it was a great game, flawed for sure, but still great regardless.

Forces, at least what we've been shown of it, the things they've decided were good enough for us to make up our mind on the game, were bad at worst and mediocre at best. There's a reason the reception has been mixed, that did not happen with Generations because it was not an average game.

I understand that some of you are enthusiast about a new "3D" Sonic game, and you're free to be happy about it, but please don't dismiss the other's opinions just because it's different from yours.

I am not happy about the game because I think it's deeply flawed in its design, not because I hate SEGA or Sonic, I wouldn't be here otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

I am not making fan characters, am I not allowed to say I don't like them or does that cancel my fan status?

I've given what I consider deep analysis of why I don't think Forces is going to be a good game, and what I don't like about it.

I'm just so tired of hearing that we hate on everything SEGA does. Almost nobody hated Generations because it was a great game, flawed for sure, but still great regardless.

Forces, at least what we've been shown of it, the things they've decided were good enough for us to make up our mind on the game, were bad at worst and mediocre at best. There's a reason the reception has been mixed, that did not happen with Generations because it was not an average game.

I understand that some of you are enthusiast about a new "3D" Sonic game, and you're free to be happy about it, but please don't dismiss the other's opinions just because it's different from yours.

I am not happy about the game because I think it's deeply flawed in its design, not because I hate SEGA or Sonic, I wouldn't be here otherwise.

I did say Most Fans, I didn't say Every Fans, it doesn't mean you can be counted because you weren't like the Sonic Fans I mentioned that were like this, I made the post judging on people on YouTube.

It's new territory for the franchise so we'll have to see how well it plays out for the game. If it's one thing about custom characters though, it's that it's got people talking. Even with Forces' nonexistent marketing, the game still managed to cook up a ton of buzz with this news given how crazy the very idea is.

Edited by ZinogreVolt

I think the custom character mode would give the game a little more replay value. My first custom character would be a bird named "Wind Chime the sparrow."

Due to the lack of news recently, I thought I'd post this video.

I have been working on a Sonic Forces - Park Avenue Trailer.

Here it is: