Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

Sonic-Forces-Custom-Hero_05-16-17.jpg

Like it's 99% him already

Eh, I say the 2D picture is more cat and less wolf/dog(?).

Makes me wonder if the guy from the Custom Hero trailer is going to be the default OC when players boot up the character creator for the first time. Alternatively, I suppose that it could display a randomly generating OC upon start up.

Just now, jacoblebeaureal said:

This game looks so dull and generic that it makes Mario have personality. 

Mario has much more personality nowadays than Sonic. It always had personality in the first place, Sonic was just "coolest", in the West at least.

5 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

I don't know about that...

It will be a pretty spot-on master when it comes to the boost game play itself. It's just the stage layout and enemy placement/incompetency that's more the issue I think when it comes to Modern Sonic.

5 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

That basically goes into my reasoning of the Game Play itself for Boost feeling mastered since it will be very familiar and fine tuned in various ways but the stage layout and enemy incompetency being the problematic aspects of Modern Sonic, such as bowling pin gatherings, homing chains...

The core Game Play itself will be great I think. It's the locations you're playing and who you're up against in the stages causing a problem.

Considering level design is like 50% of the equation with the platformer genre this is kind of a meaningless bit of praise.  It's like saying the food is great at a restaurant that serves gourmet food using dirty disease-covered sewer grates for plates.  It doesn't matter at all that the food is great, because the manhole cover thing ruins the entire experience.  Who cares if the boost gameplay is "perfected" if there's nothing good to play it on?

And for boost gameplay fans such as myself, even if they do get the level design spot-on this time (beyond the boring piss-easy first stage of course) Forces has failed to provide a perfect experience of it because it's still only half of the game at most for the fourth time in a row.

Just now, Sonikko said:

Mario has much more personality nowadays than Sonic. It always had personality in the first place, Sonic was just "coolest", in the West at least.

Yeah. Heck, even the new super Mario bros games have more personality than this. At least they looked good, even if rehashing. Sonic forces also has no identity, in face they should've called this "Sonic identity crisis" instead of "Sonic forces," which is an awful name, by the way.

2 minutes ago, Kintor said:

Eh, I say the 2D picture is more cat and less wolf/dog(?).

Makes me wonder if the guy from the Custom Hero trailer is going to be the default OC when players boot up the character creator for the first time. Alternatively, I suppose that it could display a randomly generating OC upon start up.

Take the joke, man. I just decided to whip-out that infamous character-creator tool to see how close I could get. And you can get pretty damn close!

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

Take the joke, man. I just decided to whip-out that infamous character-creator tool to see how close I could get. And you can get pretty damn close!

Infamous for you I suppose? Looks pretty harmless to me.

Nevertheless, your success in copying Sonic Forces design does show that the character creator Sonic Forces will resonate strongly with anyone who enjoyed using that earlier character creator, since both share many common aesthetic options.

20 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I hope this doesn't sound patronizing, but I greatly recommend for anyone who's not feeling excited for this game to at least check out Mania. I understand that most people in this topic are tired of people singing the praises of Classic games and would prefer something more along the signs of early Dreamcast Sonic. But, I think Mania is at least still worth checking out, if for nothing else than experiencing a Sonic game with a clear direction for once, even if it's not the one you prefer.

You never know, you might end up enjoying it. I dunno, it just seems more productive to me than wallowing in despair over this game and how far Sonic Team has fallen. 

Trust me, I'm good. The Classics just don't do it for me. I'm sure it'll be fun, but I could have the same experience watching someone play, than me actually playing it myself. Sorry.

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Really?

Because the fact you can make something so similar so quickly with an online flash browser thing only makes this game look all the more amateurish and the creator look even more basic and lacking any depth or thought.

And this comes from someone who thinks they used it.

I did use that when I was 11, so barely 12 years ago, and I literally made a blue Tails with Sonic shoes. I'm not expecting much better designs to come out of this. They're not going to be recolors of the main characters only because the races are not available at all.

5 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Really?

Because the fact you can make something so similar so quickly with an online flash browser thing only makes this game look all the more amateurish and the creator look even more basic and lacking any depth or thought.

All it shows is that Sonic Team understands the popular aesthetic styles among people who like to create Sonic OCs and indeed any kind of anthropomorphic fan character. Which incidentally, the Sonic franchise has been influencing for years, thanks to the sheer size of the Sonic fanbase and the prominent place of Sonic games in popular culture. Things are just going full circle with Sonic Forces, as Sonic Team is now able to tap into that creative energy which has always existed around OCs.

Just now, Kintor said:

All it shows is that Sonic Team understands the popular aesthetic styles among people who like to create Sonic OCs and indeed any kind of anthropomorphic fan character. Which incidentally, the Sonic franchise has been influencing for years, thanks to the sheer size of the Sonic fanbase and the prominent place of Sonic games in popular culture. Things are just going full circle with Sonic Forces, as Sonic Team is now able to tap into that create energy which has always existed around OCs.

So you're basically saying they embraced the bland designs instead of at least doing better if they really had to put a character creator in a main game.

3 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Trust me, I'm good. The Classics just don't do it for me. I'm sure it'll be fun, but I could have the same experience watching someone play, than me actually playing it myself. Sorry.

I'm curious. Does something about them turn you off or did you just simply not enjoy them? I do know a lot of people tend to shy away from them since the more overzealous fans (myself included :V) tend to treat them more favorably at the expense of most of the 3D games.

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I'm curious. Does something about them turn you off or did you just simply not enjoy them? I do know a lot of people tend to shy away from them since the more overzealous fans (myself included :V) tend to treat them more favorably at the expense of most of the 3D games.

No, the games are perfectly fine. I just don't get the same kick out of them that most other people tend to do, and I mostly just like the 3D games more (minus Rush, I really love that game). I can see myself getting the game in the late future, but there's nothing that's giving me all the incentive to go out and buy it Day 1, y'know. I would never let a fanbase stop me from playing a game that I'll think I'd enjoy (I guess Forces may be a good example of that lol), even if there are some elitists/overzealous fans, my opinion on the game wouldn't really change.

10 minutes ago, Kintor said:

All it shows is that Sonic Team understands the popular aesthetic styles among people who like to create Sonic OCs and indeed any kind of anthropomorphic fan character. Which incidentally, the Sonic franchise has been influencing for years, thanks to the sheer size of the Sonic fanbase and the prominent place of Sonic games in popular culture. Things are just going full circle with Sonic Forces, as Sonic Team is now able to tap into that creative energy which has always existed around OCs.

I mean... and I don't mean this as a slight to anyone who did since everyone has their own personal levels of creativity.  But the people who EXCLUSIVELY used these creators to make characters?  Basically meant they wanted to take part with the whole OC thing but were too uncreative to come up with their own ideas.  Some creativity is still involved, but really it's the least creative way to make a character.  So really by saying Forces' own OC creator is "tapping into" something like this, one is only really saying it's tapping into the needs of those less creative fans to the full degree.

The most hardcore, passionate OC creators who design everything themselves are going to be forced to make compromises or just give in and design a new character within the limitations provided that won't feel nearly as much "theirs" as their own original ideas are.

Regardless though, moreso than either group, the target audience here is far more likely kids who have never designed an OC before.  Attracting anyone who took part in the ol' OC days and are now adult fans is kinda just a bonus.

6 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

So you're basically saying they embraced the bland designs instead of at least doing better if they really had to put a character creator in a main game.

By design the OC chosen for that trailer was something of an everyman, incorporating some common design themes that virtually all fans of OC characters can generally agree on. The remainder of the trailer then hinted at some of the more unique character options available, like that suit of armour. The idea is to encourage not to intimidate, this way anybody watching the trailer can feel they have a shot at creating a cool looking OC even if they've never drawn anything before.

The worst thing I can think to say about the design primarily featured in the trailer is that it uses the body type that 98% of the cast uses anyway.

If there's no other options for that sort of thing (which seems likely) then yeah that's a shame, but I'm not really surprised either.

2 minutes ago, Celestia said:

The worst thing I can think to say about the design primarily featured in the trailer is that it uses the body type that 98% of the cast uses anyway.

If there's no other options for that sort of thing (which seems likely) then yeah that's a shame, but I'm not really surprised either.

Didn't the stream on Thurday say there were more body type options tho?

Spoiler

SonicForces_Hero_Screen_02_1493934626.jpg

Risultati immagini per sonic forces oc

Spoilered for size, but the cgi character honestly looks better than any other option we've been shown so far. And we've been arguing about how bland it looked just going by the silouhette.

EDIT: I really can't get over how bad that pink cat looks.

I figured the lack of depth that it seems to have was intentional, or at least, done because the people who are really hardcore into the OC thing aren't really who they're aiming for. Rather, it's for the younger fans and the people who won't be too fussed about the lack of depth or detail to the creator. Chances are the people are that into making an OC wouldn't like the way they handle the story surrounding the custom character anyway - as it'd probably end up being generic and somewhat bland in terms of characterisation, the polar opposite of what anyone that into it would want their OC to be like.

Regardless, put yourself in Sega's position: Are you going to make a character creator with depth that few will appreciate, or would you focus on appealing to the majority of people by giving it just enough detail to satisfy the more common, average player? It makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Hero said:

Regardless, put yourself in Sega's position: Are you going to make a character creator with depth that few will appreciate, or would you focus on appealing to the majority of people by giving it just enough detail to satisfy the more common, average player? It makes sense. 

If I was in Sega's position I wouldn't be doing either.

But if I had to do one, I would've tried to make a better one than this.

20 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

If your game had a character creator tool... you show off how advanced it is so people can create a wide diverse range of freaks. Not basic generic crap.

The purpose of the Custom Hero trailer wasn't to show off the full extent of the character creator but rather to simply annouce that Sonic OCs are now officially endorsed by Sega. This is why we got to see an everyman OC and only a hint at some of the customisation options. Further elaboaration can wait for another trailer, the idea itself was enough for the reveal.