Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

5 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

Nobody wanted CaC more than playable characters other than Sonic, Recolor Sonic, Wolf Sonic and Kid Sonic.

And CaC makes people even more angry, because Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Blaze have not been playable in 3D since 11 years ago. (Not counting BK)

Well...

We're kind of still in an era of consistently spouting 06 anytime characters come up. 06 is the counterargument anytime anything besides what SEGA is doing in the here and now with any aspect of a game is brought up really...

So many years...

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Well...

We're kind of still in an era of consistently spouting 06 anytime characters come up. 06 is the counterargument anytime anything besides what SEGA is doing in the here and now with any aspect of a game really...

So many years...

Ugh, SEGA don't be dumb is not cuz the characterswere playable that was the problem, it was because the characterswere slow, badly written, clunky...

I guess they don't realize that since 2008....

14 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

Nobody wanted CaC more than playable characters other than Sonic, Recolor Sonic, Wolf Sonic and Kid Sonic.

And CaC makes people even more angry, because Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Blaze have not been playable in 3D since 11 years ago. (Not counting BK)

knuckles,tails, and amy were playable in sonic boom ;)

This whole debate on existence of avatar creator in a Sonic game reminds me of the reception Fire Emblem Awakening got. Sure, the character creation was more expected there because it's a strategy RPG, but I do recall fans of the series disliking this idea. Yet when the game came out, a lot of people bought it, the critics and newer fans loved it, and it pretty much paved the future for the franchise. It did divide the fanbase into 2 and both were eating each others' throats for quite some time.

I think this game will have somewhat similar reception - newer fans and critics might like it, older fans most certainly will not (if they do not hate it already). I do want other characters to be playable and I still hope this OC creation is a one-off thing, like Classic Sonic should have been in Generations (I might defend OC creation, but I will never defend the inclusion of Classic Sonic in Forces, it's dumb), but eh, I'm not against it like many people here. 

3 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

This whole debate on existence of avatar creator in a Sonic game reminds me of the reception Fire Emblem Awakening got. Sure, the character creation was more expected there because it's a strategy RPG, but I do recall fans of the series disliking this idea. Yet when the game came out, a lot of people bought it, the critics and newer fans loved it, and it pretty much paved the future for the franchise. It did divide the fanbase into 2 and both were eating each others' throats for quite some time.

I think this game will have somewhat similar reception - newer fans and critics might like it, older fans most certainly will not (if they do not hate it already).I did want other characters playable and I still hope this OC creation is a one-off thing, like Classic Sonic should have been in Generations (I might defend OC creation, but I will never defend the inclusion of Classic Sonic in Forces, it's dumb), but eh, I'm not against it like many people here. 

Pls don't remind me of the FE fanbase. The divide is so ridiculous and it doesn't need to exist. But I could see a similar situation here,and if that happens then, RIP. We'll have another divide in the fanbase, which we already have enough of.

Just now, Joseph Mello said:

Well, so older fans are doomed if we think like FE.

Awakening is the end of Fire Emblem for a lot of fans, yet is the saving grace of the series.

*AHHHEM*

Why is this happening here? lol

The demand for an OC creator in games was definitely not there. By this I mean that I don't have proof in my hands that nobody wanted a character creator but I do check many places multiple times a day, everyday (yep lots of free time), and never a topic about a character creator jumped to my eyes in the last 10 years.

If somebody wanted it it was a very small minority. So I guess it's safe to say that the demand wasn't really there. 

Now that it's an official thing some fans might like it and say yeah it's a good idea, but it's not something that makes sense in a mascot platformer. 

From Wikipedia:

A mascot is any person, animal, or object thought to bring luck, or anything used to represent a group with a common public identity, such as a school, professional sports team, society, military unit, or brand name. Mascots are also used as fictional, representative spokespeople for consumer products, such as the rabbit used in advertising and marketing for the General Mills brand of breakfast cereal, Trix.

What does this mean? By putting the design of characters in the hands of fans they're giving up on something that's really important for Sonic. Design.

Mascots, Logos, everything that has to do with brands is very very important and must be very carefully designed. Every character of important platformers is always thoughtfully designed, and has charm and characteristics.

Putting bland, generic, overdesigned original characters in a main Sonic game, and promoting that as a game-selling feature is not a good idea imho.

Sonic's design for example, it conveys lots of things.

First of all the silouhette is iconic and recognizable.

Risultati immagini per sonic team logo

He's a hedgehog so he can curl into a ball, a main game mechanic. He's aerodynamic, 'cause he runs fast. What does the OC in the CGI convey? Nothing. The silouhette is generic, he's overdesigned and out of place with other Sonic characters and his design does not tell what he's about.

I just can't bring myself to think that this is good by any chance, and the fact that those designs look so hideous makes it even worse.

What really makes me mad is that they're ignoring what everyone else has been asking instead for years, multiple characters, more open boost design, less automation.

Man it took 5 years for Mania to be a thing after Sonic 4 Episode II. They're just not good at listening to demand.

24 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

Well, so older fans are doomed if we think like FE.

Awakening is the end of Fire Emblem for a lot of fans, yet is the saving grace of the series.

*AHHHEM*

Older fans got Echoes. So they're good.

11 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

The demand for an OC creator in games was definitely not there. By this I mean that I don't have proof in my hands that nobody wanted a character creator but I do check many places multiple times a day, everyday (yep lots of free time), and never a topic about a character creator jumped to my eyes in the last 10 years.

If somebody wanted it it was a very small minority. So I guess it's safe to say that the demand wasn't really there. 

Now that it's an official thing some fans might like it and say yeah it's a good idea, but it's not something that makes sense in a mascotte platformer. 

From Wikipedia:

A mascot is any person, animal, or object thought to bring luck, or anything used to represent a group with a common public identity, such as a school, professional sports team, society, military unit, or brand name. Mascots are also used as fictional, representative spokespeople for consumer products, such as the rabbit used in advertising and marketing for the General Mills brand of breakfast cereal, Trix.

What does this mean? By putting the design of characters in the hands of fans they're giving up on something that's really important for Sonic. Design.

Mascottes, Logos, everything that has to do with brands is very very important and must be very carefully designed. Every character of important platformers is always thoughtfully designed, and has charm and characteristics.

Putting bland, generic, overdesigned original characters in a main Sonic game, and promoting that as a game-selling feature is not a good idea imho.

I just can't bring myself to think that this is good by any chance, and the fact that those designs look so hideous makes it even worse.

What really makes me mad is that they're ignoring what everyone else has been asking instead for years, multiple characters, more open boost design, less automation.

Man it took 5 years for Mania to be a thing after Sonic 4 Episode II. They're just not good at listening to demand.

ok, now you're being way too dramatic and overthinking this.

The design shown were bad, but is the least of the problems and I think you are caring too much about what character people will make. If someone make a white Sonic called Cinos, whatever! Is not going to damage nothing! I pity the wasted creativity, but what can we do?

Not offense whatsoever.

10 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Older fans got Echoes. So they're good.

Now where is the dreamcast era being represented besides Ike :P

I mean I guess it could damage something

But that would require this game to be a level of ass that i'm not even suspect its going to be. 

Like unfinished, bad tone def story and customization optons level ass. Like sonic 06 and ROL had a child ass, and that child had all the worst aspects combined. 

5 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

Now where is the dreamcast era being represented besides Ike :P

Sega isn't Atlus, so I don't expect them to represent dreamcast folks, sorry.

ok, now you're being way too dramatic and overthinking this.

The design shown were bad, but is the least of the problems and I think you are caring too much about what character people will make. If someone make a white Sonic called Cinos, whatever! Is not going to damage nothing!

Not offense whatsoever.

I think there's a reason why nobody else in the mascot platforming genre ever did this. 

It's not a smart decision and the design of characters is very important. It's one of the first things people see.  There is a reason why every character goes through major redesigns before getting to the final design. It's a very important factor and it's not to be underestimated imho. 

I'm not saying that the Sonic franchise is going to die because of this OC thing, whatever. But it's just another thing in this mess of a game that bothers me to no end. 

If they really had to put OC in this thing they might've at least make them look like characters that belonged in the Sonic world and these things don't. They look more in line with the Sonic Boom designs. And those are very western inspired designes, while the main branch has always been influenced by Japan. 

16 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Putting Classic Sonic inside Forces IMO is a lot worse than OCs and more insulting to older fans. 

Just now, Bobnik said:

Putting Classic Sonic inside Forces IMO is a lot worse than OCs and more insulting to older fans. 

Just now, Sonikko said:

But it's just another thing in this mess of a game that bothers me to no end. 

2 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

Putting Classic Sonic inside Forces IMO is a lot worse than OCs and more insulting to the franchise. 

I actually agree with this. Classic is by far the most disappointing about this game. He doesn't need to be here and adds nothing at all.

2 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

I think there's a reason why nobody else in the mascot platforming genre ever did this. 

It's not a smart decision and the design of characters is very important. It's one of the first things people see.  There is a reason why every character goes through major redesigns before getting to the final design. It's a very important factor and it's not to be underestimated imho. 

I'm not saying that the Sonic franchise is going to die because of this OC thing, whatever. But it's just another thing in this mess of a game that bothers me to no end. 

If they really had to put OC in this thing they might've at least make them look like characters that belonged in the Sonic world and these things don't. They look more in line with the Sonic Boom designs. And those are very western inspired designes, while the main branch has always been influenced by Japan. 

That's true, but maybe we can customize more of what we have seen, like mouth, eyes...  Actually, the "edgy" rabbit's eyes are different from the ugly lanky rabbit from the trailer.

That's true, but maybe we can customize more of what we have seen, like mouth, eyes...  Actually, the "edgy" rabbit's eyes are different from the ugly lanky rabbit from the trailer.

They actually said that there are customizable body parts. For example, you can change the way the Rabbit's ears flop. They can both be up, one can be down, and both can be down. They said it in the stream.

Just now, blazefan519 said:

They actually said that there are customizable body parts. For example, you can change the way the Rabbit's ears flop. They can both be up, one can be down, and both can be down. They said it in the stream.

@Sonikko See? Maybe we can make something more in line with what we want in terms of design. We haven't seen much besides acessories.

I don't know what to think anymore. At this point I really hope that they've just done poor marketing and shown us the absolutely worst of what it's in the game, but I seriously doubt it.

This whole mess looks to me as if they're trying too hard to be cool and on board with the times.

originalthecharacter-853x375.png

Risultati immagini per how do you do fellow kids hipster

EDIT: Answering to both of you. Yep I'm sure that the customization is actually deeper than what they've shown, but even the design they went with for the CGI trailer is mediocre at best (and out of place). Remember when the silouhette came out with the Nintendo Direct footage and the most common critic was that it looked bland and generic?

That's a very bad thing, no character should be unrecognizable from its silouhette, it's not good design. That's not an opinion...

Especially when they're using this as a major selling point and a main game mechanic.

Don't see how that looks cool or with the times.

I wish they were being cool with the OC.
He looks lame, with the nerd glasses and generic shapeless body build.
I want Rambo Elvis the hedgehog, damnit. Not Bob the Accountant.

And besides, I would say the "Brainlessly shove in meaningless nostalgia everywhere" is a lot closer to trying too hard to fit with the times, since that's the era we're in now.
Them trying to be cool would be a breeze of fresh air.

1 minute ago, Sonikko said:

I don't know what to think anymore. At this point I really hope that they've just done poor marketing and shown us the absolutely worst of what it's in the game, but I seriously doubt it.

This whole mess looks to me as if they're trying too hard to be cool and on board with the times.

originalthecharacter-853x375.png

Risultati immagini per how do you do fellow kids hipster

I'm pretty sure showing Green Hill as Classic Sonic's first stage is poor makerting, knowing that this game WILL have more interesting level tropes than LW.

If the wanted to try to be cool, on board with the times, the guy on the right wouldn't be there too. They made much worse and they could do much worse. They are having a identity crisis.