Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Just now, SonicEkkusu said:

Guess SEGA thought that if they bring Classic Sonic back for more games, they'd get a lot more attention and have more fans excited for upcoming Sonic games? Probably not the case, but it worked on me as I love the Classic design and aesthetics. 

I was hyped at first, but the more I think about Classic Sonic being in this, the more I'm like "eehhhh..."

I really hope the "not a sequel" thing is all in the title and I want his differences from Modern Sonic to just be playing like classic Sonic. If it's something like a buddy system or switching styles at any time, it's gotta be done well enough. Hopefully Lost World showed Sonic Team that they've gotta be extra careful with experimentation in Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 8

It's so hard to get excited without any screenshots or anything about this game. I hate CGI only trailers in every game. Sony spoiled me. And this is Sonic, still my favorite franchise (although R&C is getting much closer now).

Anyway, with the boost mechanic...I'm sort of have mixed feelings. I have to admit looking back, Generations' boost levels *suck*. Yes, the levels were beautiful, the controls have been refined and comfortable etc....but it was just too darn easy to go through them all. Very easy. No challenge, almost little skill required. I never really had a "heart in mouth" moment, that if I screw up in that particular moment, I'm going to pay the consequence for that (well, except for Chemical Plant). When people said "boost to win", they certainly got that right with Generations IMO.

Part of me wants THAT challenge I received from Sonic Unleashed. Many of those boost levels were challenging. Go through harder paths and get rewarded with secret shortcuts, timing your jumps, QTEs (yes some people hate that, but I had no problems with it in the game...besides, it got me to learn to press the buttons faster which helped me in other games such as Hatsune Miku)... I badly miss that challenge. Colors did sort of well too, although it was different due to wisps and 2D sections.

I much prefer Adventure gameplay over boost still, but if they can give me Unleashed boost style gameplay, I would also be over the moon. Give me a challenge that it will take me at least almost a week to complete, not 2 days like Generations did.

• Thumbs Up 2

The telling remark in that interview quote is "Let's see how Generations did."  Pretty clear implication that they'd think again about Classic Sonic if Generations did well.  Of course, the remarks about the game's timing also apply equally to the 25th anniversary.

• Thumbs Up 4

12 hours ago, Ming Ming Kanon said:

Part of me wants THAT challenge I received from Sonic Unleashed.

I agree that they should be more challenging, but I don't want Arid Sands Day level bullshit difficulty, like walls and spikes being thrown my way in boosting segments at random or falling into a pit for not turning at just the right angle.

• Thumbs Up 6

You know this game's really got me thinking deeply. It's had a longer development cycle than most other Sonic games, so I feel like it has to show for something. Being realistic, I don't think this game will be very long, nor do I think there will be other playable characters aside from the two Sonic's. I know a lot of people are banking the whole 'join the resistance' thing will mean more playable characters, but I feel like that's really reaching. It's probably just to sound cool and bring hype or whatever. I'm certain more characters will show up in the story, but not be playable. Still I can probably imagine the gameplay will be a more refined boost style for modern Sonic, and a more polished and developed classic Sonic that feels slightly more true to actual classic gameplay, I guess kind of how Sonic 4 ep 2 was in regards to ep 1. Better, but not quite.

Classic Sonic is most likely here to break the pace of the boost gameplay similarly to Generations and of course the Werehog. They probably still feel like modern Sonic can't stand on his own yet without some sort of pace breaker or gimmick. I still feel like Tails would be a much better character choice to break up the pace as opposed to another Sonic. Tails could function like pre-boost era Sonic with a flight ability. It seems perfect to me. But I guess in the modern story since Tails has become more of a handy man they feel he wouldn't fit the part. And maybe Knuckles wouldn't make sense in the context of the story they try to tell, I guess? And I would imagine someone like Shadow would be too risky at present because of past trauma and a potentially negative image he might still have to the general public. 

Maybe the longer development period will allow Sonic Team to really polish the control and feel of the game? I felt like Generations felt kind of too tight, Colors felt too stiff and restrictive in your movement, and Unleashed was a bit too loose. Control is really important. Having a good feel is important. Especially in a series like this one. The classics have such a unique feel of momentum compared to other games and I hope they can find something that works. Boost gameplay was a gold mine for a while, but a lot of people seem to feel like it's run it's course and it's very limited in what they could do with level design. I hope after this one they're a lot more comfortable and confident so they won't need to rely on classic Sonic and really discover what Sonic should be and play like in a modern setting.

I'm not sure if what I'm saying is very cohesive or makes sense. I'm still super excited for this game, it's just got me so fascinated. The trailer has given me way more questions than answers.

• Thumbs Up 4

Remember when they brought the Project needlemouse teaser a few years ago? that was in september. We heard about the actual game in February. So I dont think we will hear anything about 2017 this year, guess they begin to show stuff in february, march.

51 minutes ago, reflection_of said:

I hope we can all agree that having classic Sonic appear in project 2017 was a bad idea.

It wasn't a bad idea, just a strange one.

• Thumbs Up 3

I feel like bringing in Classic Sonic was just way too soon for me. Like I get it a lot of people like Classic Sonic, but come on how are we ever going to like Modern Sonic if Classic is always going to be around now. 

I was hoping we would see Classic Sonic with Modern Sonic in like the 50th game anniversary or something in the far future, not a game later.

Like we already have Sonic Mania which is great, I'm really looking forward for the game, but IMO I feel that Sonic Mania's uniqueness with playing as the Classic characters will get stale by the time Sonic Project 2017 hit's the shelves, unless there's other character's playable. I don't see the point of adding Classic Sonic back again with his Modern version self.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, reflection_of said:

I hope we can all agree that having classic Sonic appear in project 2017 was a bad idea.

I disagree.

For all we know, you could be able to play as Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles and be able to choose to play to as their Classic and Modern forms or with alternate outfits.

6 hours ago, reflection_of said:

It's questionable but I'm sure it'll be passable at worst if it's not Generations 2

8 hours ago, reflection_of said:

How was that a bad idea lol, there`s plenty of people excited because of his comeback

24 minutes ago, Mat.W said:

You can play with Sonic`s friends in Sonic Boom Fire & Ice if that helps anyhow 

I don't hate the 3DS Boom games but sadly it doesn't no.

• Thumbs Up 1

Classic Sonic showing up is strange but I think people are jumping the gun a bit, since we know nothing about what him being in the game means at this point.

Normally, I would say we could assume he will play like he did in Generations/the Classics, with some new mechanic (maybe they'll put the Drop Dash in here too, if Classic Sonic has the same gameplay as he did in Generations?), but the "it's not a sequel" comment means even that is up in the air. Maybe Iizuka was saying that for other reasons, but we also don't know that for sure yet.

Story-wise, it probably means time travel will be incorporated, since that is how Classic Sonic appeared in Generations, and since Classic Sonic is supposed to just be Sonic at a younger age, which in more meta terms, is just his older design from his early games. But we can't say for sure what that means. It could be that Classic Sonic decided to go to the future of his own will, or he got pulled forward in time by surprise again, somehow. Or maybe Modern Sonic went into the past to enlist his help himself. Or, as I've seen some people suggest, maybe this game will be the Sonic equivalent to X-Men: Days of Future Past, where Modern Sonic has to go back in time (or Classic Sonic has to go forward, either could work for this theory) to prevent a certain catastrophic event from happening, and by the end of the game, history will be changed, and this game will serve as a "soft reboot" for the Sonic game series and it's lore (i.e. it wouldn't completely rework it, but would change/update the lore to fix things that people don't like or don't make sense in general)...though in any case, the trailer DID seem like a homage to that film, even if it wasn't intentional, what with the Death Egg Robots being reminiscent of the Sentinels in X-Men, who had basically taken over the world in Days of Future Past.

Personally, I was initially just super excited that Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic were teaming up again, since I love Classic Sonic, and particularly the model he got in Generations. However, it did later realise how strange of a decision it was o bring him back when taking it in context, so I just remain cautiously optimistic about it. At the very least, I don't view Classic Sonic as being an explicitly bad sign for the gameplay, even if it's not exactly what most people wanted in the end. If you assume that he'll play like he did in Generations, then that's a guarantee he will be fun to play as and his levels will be polished, maybe with better physics and stuff than what Generations had. So I can't be mad at him coming back.

• Thumbs Up 4

I have a feeling this will be a new Sonic '06. When it was announced everyone was like "HOLY SHIT THIS WILL BE THE BEST GAME EVER", then it was rushed. I want Classic Tails and Modern Tails to be playable. Hey, imagine if Sonic('s?) had one story and that Tails('?) had another? THAT WOULD BE AWESOME WITHOUT THE SAUCE

16 hours ago, reflection_of said:

We haven't even really seen what the final outcome is yet to even properly judge if it'll help or harm the project. 

BTW, I remember Aaron Webber saying in an interview a few months ago that SEGA is now in a much better position to receive and implement feedback from fans! And he's certainly someone capable of building sensible feedback out of the many different voices and cries directed towards SEGA!

Some previous games like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Unleashed got their main concepts from online surveys and general Internet talking and, while they were very successful sales-wise, they weren't too well received by the eyes of many fans -which proved that blindly listening to people on the internet isn't a wise thing to do-. But, if what Aaron was saying there is true and he makes full use of it, SEGA will now be receiving sensible, well organised feedback, and only good things may come out of this! Could Sonic Mania be an example of this new direction?

^I always thought It was the other way around. With the critics/random internet people bashing unleashed while the fans praised it.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, ChikoLad said:

it's lore

IMO, there's really no lore to the Sonic GAMES post Sonic 06' or around that time. But from Sonic Adventure to like Shadow the Hedgehog, they were all connected some way or form. All had some sort of story to tell that ties in other games but now I feel like whatever lore that is in the Sonic games are pretty non existent or just does not make any sense. Like I know the Boost games have some sort of connection, but is so loose that it wouldn't matter what game you wanted to play first. Like there's no explanation on how Eggman got back out of White Space and get Orbot and Cubot back from space. That pretty much places Sonic Lost World any where in between any games.

Some times I feel the more recent games have the story, just so it would make sense why we are here to begin and why are we going through these stages.

And Sorry for the rant, I wish it would be something similar to it, but I just don't see it happening. Especially when they tried to have a soft reboot of sorts with Sonic 06' and that didn't turn out very well. I just want the Sonic Team to take risks, but risks that make sense. 

And some Lore of course. LOL

• Thumbs Up 5