Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

9 hours ago, Ajavalo said:

BTW, I remember Aaron Webber saying in an interview a few months ago that SEGA is now in a much better position to receive and implement feedback from fans! And he's certainly someone capable of building sensible feedback out of the many different voices and cries directed towards SEGA!

Some previous games like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Unleashed got their main concepts from online surveys and general Internet talking and, while they were very successful sales-wise, they weren't too well received by the eyes of many fans -which proved that blindly listening to people on the internet isn't a wise thing to do-. But, if what Aaron was saying there is true and he makes full use of it, SEGA will now be receiving sensible, well organised feedback, and only good things may come out of this! Could Sonic Mania be an example of this new direction?

If it was, it would explain many things about these new games, especially Sonic Mania. Christian Whitehead is back, people love that. New classic game, people love that. More things on Sonic Mania, and you already get the drill.

But as for Project Sonic 2017... We don't have anything to prove SEGA is actually listening, as we don't have a lot of information. To properly judge this, we need more information. A CG trailer only says so much.

8 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

06 was made in less than a year. The last Sonic Team game was released three years ago, so it's pretty safe to say that this is a completely different case entirely. The only grounds for comparison between the two games so far is the tone, and frankly we still know far too little about that to draw a solid connection anyway. What we have so far isn't much better than judging a book by its cover, to be frank.

We don't know what SEGA will do so we can count it being released in 2016. I dunno remember where I heard this but the original release date for '06 was meant to be in 2007.

1 hour ago, Cheese the Ducking Chao said:

We don't know what SEGA will do so we can count it being released in 2016. I dunno remember where I heard this but the original release date for '06 was meant to be in 2007.

The game is already announced for 2017. It's literally currently only known as "Project 2017".

• Thumbs Up 9

17 minutes ago, Marcello said:

The game is already announced for 2017. It's currently literally only known as "Project 2017".

Then I apologize, I didn't watch the trailer.

15 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

...based on what?

Are we even reading the same thread here? Sega's PR has repeatedly taken the piss out of '06 and the circumstances surrounding it. Sega themselves have already specified that the game releases in 2017, and prior to that already straight up said they're focusing on quality first and foremost. The trailer in the opening post is literally titled Project Sonic 2017 Debut Trailer. And even if for some stupid reason they suddenly took back everything they've already said and push forward the release date for Christmas money, I need to reiterate that Sonic Team has kept this project under wraps since 2013, which already gives this game a head start of over two years worth over what 06 was given.

If you're basing this off anything other than childish superstition then I'd like to hear more, otherwise kindly don't make assumptions like this. To be blunt, it's obnoxious.

As I said, didn't watch the trailer. Just assumed it was an assumption for the game's release date. Again, I apologize.. Just said it kinda reminded me of what happened when '06 was being developed.

On 8/5/2016 at 7:17 PM, Adamabba said:

Aaron said that they need to nail down Sonic's gameplay first.

...hasn't that been said for years now, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

It would probably help considerably if every game didn't feel the need to radically alter the mechanics.

• Thumbs Up 5

5 minutes ago, Raccoonatic Ogilvie said:

...hasn't that been said for years now, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

It would probably help considerably if every game didn't feel the need to radically alter the mechanics.

One game. After one game they did that.

1 minute ago, Dizcrybe said:

One game. After one game they did that.

And yet, the fact they felt the need to change it up after the Boost Mechanic was largely positively received indicates cause for concern.

If there's a need to hammer down Sonic's mechanics, it stands to reason it should be that which was positively received.

I would not doubt it. After the new playstyles of Lost World and Rise of Lyric both failed, it would make sense to be conservative and go to what's largely been successful.

Mania is this sort of approach incarnate, probably being a true Sonic 4 despite its title. So I see no reason 2017 wouldn't try and go for the non-classic gameplay model that went over well with critics.

What with Mania, I just wonder if they're going to pay closer attention to Classic Sonic's gameplay in 2017 to make him more akin to the classic titles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Raccoonatic Ogilvie said:

What with Mania, I just wonder if they're going to pay closer attention to Classic Sonic's gameplay in 2017 to make him more akin to the classic titles.

It'd be nice, but probably not.

dfa0f25635eb3f411aac2076fbf8d20c.png

Yeah I'm pretty sure Classic Sonic is fully playable at this point, and is going to be one of the main focal points going forward.

• Thumbs Up 7

Was there really ever any doubt in the first place? They wouldn't show off classic Sonic and then not have him play a major role.

I'd honestly be happy with a new boost game. I still like the gameplay of Colors and Gens a lot, and its the most consistently good gameplay style that modern Sonic has. But I would hope that Sonic Team would try to expand on it somewhat-- I think the controls and style have been sufficiently refined for Sonic Team to have the liberty to make a few changes. I for one think that some stuff from Lost World would help here-- for example, wall running could facilitate good vertical exploration by giving Sonic more freedom traversing his environments while at the same time providing a challenge to players as they need build the needed momentum and boost gauge to wall run effectively.

I think somebody from Sega mentioned something about the fact that not all fans would be happy with the next product but that he think it'll still be good. That definitely hints towards Sonic Team finally picking a style and core mechanic to stick to-- a move which will definitely turn off people who aren't fans of that style or mechanic but is ultimately what the franchise needs as it is the first step to consistency.

As for Classic Sonic, I could take him or leave him. I don't have much investment in the Classic era, to the point where I'm kind of surprised that I'm hyped for Mania. But being a comparatively new fan, I haven't really gotten sick of him either. I guess I just don't want Classic Sonic to suck in this game-- if he doesn't suck, I will be a happy camper.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hear me out, I just had this epiphany. I wonder if Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic had a their level designs similar to Sonic Adventure 2. Like instead of playing the same level twice with different camera angles, how about different camera angles AND different versions of their levels, or even completely different levels like Knuckles and Rouges levels or something similar. 

Cause since it's new levels why not have different levels for each of Sonic's version, instead of playing the same levels twice, which felt kinda redundant to me the more I played Sonic Generations, just a thought. But I doubt it would happen.

It would at least give both Sonic's some more uniqueness. Instead of playing the same levels twice. Especially for Classic Sonic since I felt he got the short end of the stick. I rarely ever seen some one pick Classic Sonic during a random run during Sonic Generations. So it can at least give Classic Sonic more replay value. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Actually on that note, has it even been stated yet whether Classic will play in 2D only? I mean, knowing Sega it's probably a pipe dream, but some cursory tinkering with Generations has already shown that the classic gameplay can work in 3D - in some respects even better than Modern Sonic does - and I can't help but wonder how things would turn out if this were Sega's excuse to try to get slope physics working in 3D for once.

That being said I still don't like the implication of two Sonics being the only playable characters again, and the last tweet only seems to reinforce that? Goddamnit.

Maybe they could redeem what some people (like me) think about the very terrible  odd idea of having in classic sonic AGAIN and maybe put in multiplayer....without cutting it off anywhere during the story

4 hours ago, Joellui said:

Hear me out, I just had this epiphany. I wonder if Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic had a their level designs similar to Sonic Adventure 2. Like instead of playing the same level twice with different camera angles, how about different camera angles AND different versions of their levels, or even completely different levels like Knuckles and Rouges levels or something similar. 

Cause since it's new levels why not have different levels for each of Sonic's version, instead of playing the same levels twice, which felt kinda redundant to me the more I played Sonic Generations, just a thought. But I doubt it would happen.

It would at least give both Sonic's some more uniqueness. Instead of playing the same levels twice. Especially for Classic Sonic since I felt he got the short end of the stick. I rarely ever seen some one pick Classic Sonic during a random run during Sonic Generations. So it can at least give Classic Sonic more replay value. 

To be fair, it's more than just the same level with a different camera angle. The level layouts are still completely different in Generations. What SA2 does with levels is certainly cool, but the levels are so visually similar it'd be the same type of thing Generations has going on except with a different title card on the loading screen. I mean, levels like Egg Quarters and Death Chamber are so visually similar what would the point be of calling a level "Flaming City zone act 1 and 2" versus "Flaming City zone" and "Urban Ablaze zone" when they would still look pretty much the same, and have different layouts regardless.

Unless they would be totally different looking levels, but then that would sort of break the illusion that the Sonic's are helping each other since then they would be in completely different areas.

Maybe we will see some co-op system, which would be interesting to see especially in a 3D Sonic game, since they only tried it like twice in Shadow The Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II. But, I must admit, that wouldn't feel like an anniversary title to me, from my perspective it should be bigger than that. I would be glad to see Sonic and Classic Sonic having different looking levels, cause that will change up the gameplay in a good manner(Cough Cough Werehog Cough cough) and give us some new stunning level locations, which Sonic Team is already known for. 

If we're gonna split between 2D and 3D gameplay, I hope the modern Sonic stuff is entirely 3D. The full 3D portions of the Generation levels is ideal, only with the Sonic Adventure controls and mechanics. As much as I liked Generations, Sonic's "race car physics" were easily the biggest annoyance and obstacle for me.

• Thumbs Up 7

I just had a thought, earlier when SEGA came out and said 'they may lose some fans along the way', what if it means they are going to stick with the boost + an extra gimmick from this point forward? What if they're aware that lots of fans are tired of the boost formula but they're sticking to it as it fits the character and it's been the most successful since the classics? Maybe it's obvious, I dunno.

However I have felt (now this is mostly a baseless assumption) that Sonic Team believes that mostly everyone loved the boost formula since colors and generations were received so well and the day time stages in unleashed were praised. To the general public at least. But maybe they really look at these big threads reading what the hardcore fans think, and since we're a smaller crowd compared to the public, they beat us out, therefore 'losing some fans along the way'? Obviously they aren't going to lose their hardcore fans, but since so many fans want something different, the ones who want... say, full 3D Adventure esque Sonic again will eventually be lost?

While I very much enjoy boost, I'm really tired of the extra tagged on gimmicks (Werehog, Wisps, Baby Sonic), and I'm sure others are as well. But perhaps Sonic Team feel it is for the best they continue this streak, since it's what has worked so well for them. They probably brought back Classic Sonic because his image is very positive, it's that ''classic'' gameplay everyone loves so it doesn't feel alien like Werehog or Wisps, and for this anniversary it'd be a fitting inclusion. Maybe they need those extra gimmicks to accompany the short lived, fast paced boost gameplay.

I do agree that Sonic Team should definitely stick to one thing. So in the long run, this will probably be for the best. But I also feel that they should stick to one Sonic as well. Hopefully in the future we'll see Tails or Knuckles as the pace breakers for boost instead of Classic Sonic... or Wisps. 

5 hours ago, FunkDoc1112 said:

If we're gonna split between 2D and 3D gameplay, I hope the modern Sonic stuff is entirely 3D. The full 3D portions of the Generation levels is ideal, only with the Sonic Adventure controls and mechanics. As much as I liked Generations, Sonic's "race car physics" were easily the biggest annoyance and obstacle for me.

^^^^ It's not just the race car physics though. It's having race car physics on technical platforming levels. This design flaw has always baffled me.

• Thumbs Up 3