Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

I expect better roling for classic parts of a game and lack of 2d in Modern parts. That's all I truly need (In terms of gameplay, that is)

For Modern Sonic I'd really like it if there are wider levels with more crossover with platforming and maybe a little bit of exploration, and that sonic's controls aren't super stiff. Like instead of having bits where you only go running in a straight line boosting and bits where you're only doing blocky platforming, I think it'd be really cool if the levels were big enough to encourage a combination of the two. Like maybe in a big environment there could be a ramp where, if you're boosting, you can get enough air off of it to get to a secret area or another pathway or something. And if you're not boosting, there could still be platforms and secrets and alternate paths in the world and it wouldn't feel like you're doing less cause the levels would be bigger and less linear and Sonic doesn't control super stiff. Basically, having the boost be more of another move in Sonic's arsenal instead of just having levels designed around that one mechanic.

As for Classic Sonic, I'd pretty much just like him to control like he did in the classic games, so like for momentum and rolling to actually, like, matter. Also for the level design to be open enough to explore, but also small enough to speed through it if you want to.

• Thumbs Up 8

We've had the boost be fuelled by rings, enemies, trick combos and even aliens on one occasion. What if instead, the boost metre was filled on kinetic energy?

Basically think the Advance 2 boost mode where you gradually build up a boost by running but this time with a metre to let you know how much energy you've stored. Once you've maintained your flow for long enough the metre fills and you can then press a button to trigger your boost. The metre would gradually drain with no means to refuel it mid-boost however you could freeze the depletion by continuing to stay on the move. The rate of drainage would vary depending on your speed; maintained speed freezes it while coming to a stop would quickly drain it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Personally, I would love to see Sonic Team expand on what they have successfully done with the 3D level design of Modern Sonic and include some more of the platforming found here in this fan game play through (more evident at 1:30 mins in the video). Do not have any beef with the Modern Sonic 2D segments as long as they are not as frequent and contain better platforming.

I truly believe they are making improvements to both gameplay styles from Sonic Generations. They are fully aware of the complaints of Classic Sonic physics and level design (I hope anyway) and the brief moment of Modern Sonic spin dashing to the ground has me more convinced the team are updating the latter with an updated moveset.

I wonder if this game is gonna have Dreamcast Sonic? There are Youtube videos explaining the rule of thirds (there's a big empty space next to one of the Sonics in the trailer.), and talking about how they have every main gameplay style except for Adventure, and how Dreamcast Sonic was gonna be in Generations, but they had issues getting Ryan Drummond to voice Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, SonicEkkusu said:

I wonder if this game is gonna have Dreamcast Sonic? There are Youtube videos explaining the rule of thirds (there's a big empty space next to one of the Sonics in the trailer.), and talking about how they have every main gameplay style except for Adventure, and how Dreamcast Sonic was gonna be in Generations, but they had issues getting Ryan Drummond to voice Sonic.

I certainly hope so. If Sega put dreamcast Sonic in this game It would finally adress one the biggest and angriest sections of the fanbase. As a result the overal mood of the fanbase could improve dramatically.

Oh, sure. A couple weeks of peace, before someone decides their Sonic still isn't getting enough attention, and then it's back to the same old fights again. They're already juggling 3 Sonics as it is, adding a fourth isn't going to improve things.

• Thumbs Up 7

Three would be a crowd to be honest. The closest I want to a DC Sonic in a Generations type game is to have the boost style replaced with or made closer to the former.

• Thumbs Up 2

Adventure Sonic and Modern Sonic are so similar design wise that I'm not sure what people want him to look and act like, for starters. I don't really like that Classic Sonic is a thing either, but at least there's some difference in mannerisms and stuff there. 

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

Adventure Sonic and Modern Sonic are so similar design wise that I'm not sure what people want him to look and act like

sonic_dreamcast_era_by_nibroc_rock-d9mvv

This with soap shoes? (Source) Not much of a difference, I'm aware, another reason why that wouldn't be practical.

That model was made just for fun, but it is used in a lot of speculative Generations 2 covers and clickbait video thumbnails

7 minutes ago, Auto said:

sonic_dreamcast_era_by_nibroc_rock-d9mvv

This with soap shoes? (Source) Not much of a difference, I'm aware, another reason why that wouldn't be practical.

I really like this render, but yeah. Just goes to show that this really isn't a good idea. The design alone showing up would throw a lot of things about the game off. 

Like, I get it Adventure fans, but we gotta be reasonable here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What if they added "Adventure Sonic" but used his '06 design.

That's the only Adventure era design that looks significantly different from Modern Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 5

Honestly I find the idea of splitting Sonic up into "Classic" and "Modern" as separate characters rather pointless as is. I don't mind it as an aesthetic throwback like they're doing for Mania, as I do prefer Classic Sonic's design, but to separate it into a whole other character just makes the Sonic brand more confusing to the public at large. 

That said the difference in design between the two is different enough that it's easy enough for people to understand, but the idea of having an "Adventure" Sonic that's just a slightly tweaked Modern Sonic would only be more confusing to a mass audience.

• Thumbs Up 3

Why on earth are we dismissing a character based off his design and "he's the same character", when that's what Classic Sonic is? Art style is design. Adventure Sonic was always more angular, stouter, and disproportionate compared to Unleashed-and-onwards Sonic. And, modern Sonic has been muted, smoothed out, and toned down in almost all regards compared to Adventure Sonic, in design, dialog, and general personality. He'd be plenty different.

Classic Sonic would be the pudgy, silent and "cute" Sonic, Adventure Sonic would be the rougher, "tougher" (seriously just look back at his dialog again, as cheesy as it is) Sonic, and Modern would be the fully grown, sleeker, and snarky Sonic. Not as big a difference as last time, but the difference exists.

Adding "Adventure Sonic" wouldn't be justified considering that Boost gameplay can potentially be pretty close to Adventure gameplay if it had level design similar to those games.

Case in point:

6 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

Why on earth are we dismissing a character based off his design and "he's the same character", when that's what Classic Sonic is? Art style is design. Adventure Sonic was always more angular, stouter, and disproportionate compared to Unleashed-and-onwards Sonic. And, modern Sonic has been muted, smoothed out, and toned down in almost all regards compared to Adventure Sonic, in design, dialog, and general personality. He'd be plenty different.

Classic Sonic would be the pudgy, silent and "cute" Sonic, Adventure Sonic would be the rougher, "tougher" (seriously just look back at his dialog again, as cheesy as it is) Sonic, and Modern would be the fully grown, sleeker, and snarky Sonic. Not as big a difference as last time, but the difference exists.

As Sonic fans we would understand the difference, but would a general audience just looking at the franchise at a distance? I don't think so. 

If Sonic needs anything right now it's a good image in the public eye, and confusing people with slightly different Sonics in design would only make him more confusing to people a first glance.

Not to mention the fact that Adventure Sonic doesn't even have a consistent style. SA1 DC Sonic looks different from SADX Sonic, and SA2 Sonic looks different from either of them

• Thumbs Up 4

It'd be justified if they removed Gens' amount of 3D platforming sections, and instead went back to the (superior :V) direction of Unleashed: Running forwards mainly, with tougher reaction-based gameplay. Obviously no QTEs, but it's a vast difference compared to Gens' slower and easier direction.

Then Adventure Sonic would have 3D gameplay all to himself and have the ability to actually flesh out the 3D platforming arena, rather than the weird middle ground Gens was going for.

1 minute ago, Nightly said:

As Sonic fans we would understand the difference, but would a general audience just looking at the franchise at a distance? I don't think so. 

If Sonic needs anything right now it's a good image in the public eye, and confusing people with slightly different Sonics in design would only make him more confusing to people a first glance.

Not to mention the fact that Adventure Sonic doesn't even have a consistent style. SA1 DC Sonic looks different from SADX Sonic, and SA2 Sonic looks different from either of them

SA2Battle was one of Sonic's biggest hits, especially for the 3D era. Slap some SOAP shoes on him, and I have no doubt that the general public wouldn't have any trouble recognizing him.

Well, no less than Classic Sonic identity problems

"Is that... Sonic's Son?!?" - The Internet, Generations Reveal Trailer

:V

Unleashed's difficulty was cheap at times and QTE's aren't fun at all imo, I'd rather not have that in another Sonic game. It doesn't really fit.

• Thumbs Up 3

The idea that every character model that gets slightly modified, more detailed and more developed as time goes on needs to be treated as a new Sonic is actually ridiculous. People are only going so far as to suggest 'dreamcast Sonic' is because they want gameplay that's more like the Adventure games. I would say I probably love the Adventure games more than most people but to actually suggest another Sonic for that is reaching so hard.

Some tweaking to the current modern gameplay is all they need, and that could possibly lead to really great things. 

• Thumbs Up 3

19 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

SA2Battle was one of Sonic's biggest hits, especially for the 3D era. Slap some SOAP shoes on him, and I have no doubt that the general public wouldn't have any trouble recognizing him.

Well, no less than Classic Sonic identity problems

"Is that... Sonic's Son?!?" - The Internet, Generations Reveal Trailer

:V

My point is that I don't like the idea of splitting Sonic up into multiple Sonics at all. Not to mention that within Adventure fans there's a lot of different opinions on what makes an Adventure game an Adventure game. Some prefer SA1 and some prefer SA2. What would happen if a supposed Adventure Sonic took more from one of those and not the other? Then that would split that fraction of the fanbase further with one side asking for their version of Sonic. Then what if Sega tries to appease them by making two separate Adventure Sonics with slightly different gameplay? Then what if Heroes fans want their Sonic represented, or if 06 fans wanted that one, or the Riders fans wanting that one?

Doing that would be a very slippery slope imo.

• Thumbs Up 2

Really the only thing left to fix pre Lost World Sonic is to make Sonic turn smoother when he's not boosting, honestly. Not just slightly more smooth than the last entry, it's gotta be near perfect.