Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

I dislike the idea of Classic Sonic being a "little kid" too since he was always stated to be a teenager in the classic days, but I don't think that necessitates a separate continuity. I mean, I'm not too anal about the passage of time, it's a cartoony series not too heavy on consistency or clear, detailed continuity anyway, he can be a teenager then and a teenager now easily. It's not exactly a rare thing for fiction to feature the passage of time without aging.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I dislike the idea of Classic Sonic being a "little kid" too since he was always stated to be a teenager in the classic days, but I don't think that necessitates a separate continuity. I mean, I'm not too anal about the passage of time, it's a cartoony series not too heavy on consistency or clear, detailed continuity anyway, he can be a teenager then and a teenager now easily. It's not exactly a rare thing for fiction to feature the passage of time without aging.

I think I just might have a better idea than separating the universes. Let's have Classic Sonic be a year younger than Modern Sonic, then all the classic stages would be on South Island, while the Modern stages would be in a variety of locations. :P

I just wish they could change Classic's design to look more like that fan render. This Generations one just looks too cutesy and chubby to me. And maybe he could stand have the attitude amped up? He doesn't have to talk, but he could be like in Sonic CD or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gens doesn't really make much of a statement about how much younger Classic is than Modern, though. There's no explicitly stated age difference, it's not responsible for the difference in their designs, and any attempt to point to Classic not talking goes out the window because Classic Tails, who must be significantly younger than Classic Sonic, can talk just fine. I have no trouble imagining it as just a year's difference, or some relatively small but undefined amount of time.

• Thumbs Up 8

I've always put it at a four year difference myself. Specifically because of the AoSth mentality where it was insisted upon me that Tails was only 4 1/2 years old at the time.

However old he is, I don't really care though. I just don't want another time travel story. 

Please God no more. 

And no more "things from space" stories for a while too. Even Generations somehow managed to be that.

14 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Gens doesn't really make much of a statement about how much younger Classic is than Modern, though. There's no explicitly stated age difference, it's not responsible for the difference in their designs, and any attempt to point to Classic not talking goes out the window because Classic Tails, who must be significantly younger than Classic Sonic, can talk just fine. I have no trouble imagining it as just a year's difference, or some relatively small but undefined amount of time.

Pure headcanon, but I'm thinking as of Lost World, Modern Sonic is about 4 years older than Sonic circa Sonic 1 (Generations' Classic Sonic). I think the 16-bit titles and Mania take place over a year-and-a-half time frame. Half a year goes by as Sonic goes isometric and Eggman researches Chaos. Sonic Adventure takes place, and then SA2 just a month or so later (Tails being rewarded for saving Station Square is news to Eggman). This is followed by Heroes and Shadow, which also take place that year. Secret Rings happens that winter. At this point we're three years in. Unleashed happens during the following spring, followed by Black Knight and Colors early that summer. In late June, Generations takes place. In August, Lost World takes place. 

Im a psychopath. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Mod Tools would be great to see. I'm just glad they never condemned modding. At the last I expect future titles may have Steam Workshop. Which still and awesome step when it comes to mod support.

22 hours ago, VolatileMike said:

Pure headcanon, but I'm thinking as of Lost World, Modern Sonic is about 4 years older than Sonic circa Sonic 1 (Generations' Classic Sonic). I think the 16-bit titles and Mania take place over a year-and-a-half time frame. Half a year goes by as Sonic goes isometric and Eggman researches Chaos. Sonic Adventure takes place, and then SA2 just a month or so later (Tails being rewarded for saving Station Square is news to Eggman). This is followed by Heroes and Shadow, which also take place that year. Secret Rings happens that winter. At this point we're three years in. Unleashed happens during the following spring, followed by Black Knight and Colors early that summer. In late June, Generations takes place. In August, Lost World takes place. 

Im a psychopath. 

Except the games do not have a unified continuity. This has allready been confirmed by Iizuka. The closest thing we have to a unified cannon is Sonic X.

1 hour ago, reflection_of said:

Except the games do not have a unified continuity. This has allready been confirmed by Iizuka. The closest thing we have to a unified cannon is Sonic X.

What about SA2, Heroes, and Shadow?

• Thumbs Up 1

I was thinking earlier today about how Classic Sonic is back in the game (and I presume that means Classic Tails will be as well), and it got me thinking...maybe Classic Knuckles and Classic Amy will return this time as well? I really hope so. I really like the Classic 6 (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, and Metal Sonic), and I would love to see all of them with Generations renders. Who knows? Maybe other classic characters like like the Espio, Charmy, Vector, Mighty, and Ray will make cameos? And/or even Fang the Sniper/Nack the Weasel, Bean, and Bark? And why not through in Heavy and Bomb to boot :P 

I guess I just feel like "the resistance" could be really epic looking if it spans the supporting cast of Sonic's history. (At the very least, I hope it's as big as the Sonic Heroes/06 squadron).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mikyeong said:

Sonic Generations also mentions Colors and Secret Rings. So the events they remember

Sonic says that it was no crazier than colors or secret rings, he never says he remembers it

1 hour ago, MegasonicZX said:

Isn't the fact that he mentioned them at all indication that he DOES remember them?

No. He mentions it, if he would've remembered that then why was sonic going "that place looks strangely familiar".

Edited by Flare Sakitha Sol
I put tails instead of sonic like an idiot

11 minutes ago, Flare Sakitha Sol said:

No. He mentions it, if he would've remembered that then why was tails going "that place looks strangely familiar".

What place? Tails mentions Chemical Plant looking familiar, which makes perfect sense, so...?

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic not specifically saying he remembers the events of Secret Rings and Colors is arguing semantics. Anyone can put two and two together and realize it's implied that Sonic bringing up those very specific events that happen to be things sonic has done means he remembers it.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Flare Sakitha Sol said:

No. He mentions it, if he would've remembered that then why was sonic going "that place looks strangely familiar".

It was probably because Colours and Secret Rings were more recent adventures for Sonic, compared to Green Hill being one of his earliest, thus harder to remember.

9 hours ago, SonicEkkusu said:

What about SA2, Heroes, and Shadow?

Oh yes, the Shadow arc. Yet another reason to bring him back. But still, the main point is that the series as a whole is not connected canonically. You have to seperate it into chunks. Iizuka himself said that the at the genesis games are a separate continuity from the modern games. And the Adventure / Shadow arc games are there own continuity. 06 is its own continuity yadyadyada you get the point.

24 minutes ago, reflection_of said:

Oh yes, the Shadow arc. Yet another reason to bring him back. But still, the main point is that the series as a whole is not connected canonically.

Y'know, despite the fact that Generations goes out of it's way to tie them into a canon timeline anyway. Pfft.

• Thumbs Up 8

17 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

Y'know, despite the fact that Generations goes out of it's way to tie them into a canon timeline anyway. Pfft.

Generations does not count. It isn't tying together the cannon. It is just breaking the fourth wall. Hence why you go to Crysis City first even though it exists long AFTER the events of Colors and Unleashed. Yet you go to it first just because the video games came out in that order. Not to mention that the timeline that  Crysis City existed in was erased. The truth is that Generations is operating on external logic and doesn't really tie anything together. If you try to think about it from an internal perspective it just turns the series into a bigger mess.

The point of Generations was to revisit the levels from popular main games in chronological order from oldest to newest. The game itself probably isn't even cannon anyway. 

12 minutes ago, reflection_of said:

The point of Generations was to revisit the levels from popular main games in chronological order from oldest to newest.

While the characters remark on how these places seem familiar, cue fanservicing remarks to the point where Robotnik even regards his change to "Eggman".

Congrats. You just shot your own argument in the foot with that statement.