Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Initial impressions: I've very interested in this. It looks like they're bringing back the solid gameplay from Gens (though I'll hold off on commenting on that until we see actual gameplay) and it also looks like they're actually giving two shakes about the plot/story this time around. These are both two things I was heavily looking for and I'm glad that it seems to be coming. Even looks like modern has a little spindash going on there. I'm especially happy to see they're leaving the older consoles behind with a pc port added into the mix to! Please bring back an updated Hedgehog Engine.

But then again, I can only speculate even with this announcement trailer. For all we know, classic might not even be the gimmick of the game this time around and they actually showed off all the destruction and given circumstances for the plot to be the lead drive here. I mean, "Join the Resistance"? That has to be supporting the plot in some way.

While I understand the "grimdark" concerns... I can't say that I'd rather have the old mediocre comedy style over it. I want to see where they're taking this. If it's going to be like Unleashed or maybe even SA2 plot-wise then I'm all in. Also... those robots are eggrobos guys. I think we're safe from an 06 situation.

But again, I'm just speculating now. I literally can't stick my pin into the ground until we get more information. I like what was shown in the trailer but this wouldn't be the first time a trailer lead me to something that just wasn't good. I'll just have to wait and see.

Hopefully if there's something this game does take from Gens it's that a gameplay video isn't too far behind the initial review trailer.

• Thumbs Up 9

1 minute ago, Burnt Ash said:

IIRC, the first Generations gameplay trailer came out about a week after the teaser, so it's possible we won't have to wait that long to see the first bits of the game.

It's been long enough to assume this is well under way but... it doesn't even have a name? 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dizcrybe said:

Maybe the "Drop Dash" from Mania is gonna be in this game, too?

Looks like the stomp to me, or just Marza pulling a Sonic CD intro, if you know what I mean.

1 minute ago, Auto said:

If we get the multiple game styles thing again with more than two Sonics, or hell, even with just two Sonics, I hope they make gameplay style switching optional for how the player progresses, especially if fisticuffs kickboxing Sonic is included, no matter how good ST makes him play.

That's what I meant, yeah.

It's sorta like an S3&K situation, only it's one campaign and you choose a Sonic that best suits your playstyle or what you feel might be best for a particular level (like a level that has more enemies might be best for Werehog as he has a wider attack or something. And a level with lots of slopes is best for Classic Sonic). Sorta like a "class change" mechanic for Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

We'll hear more soon guys. Summer of Sonic is in two weeks and Iizuka is there. I'm sure we can pick some info there.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Sr101 said:

It's been long enough to assume this is well under way but... it doesn't even have a name? 

no it has a name sonic_generations_2____by_theshadowrush1

21 minutes ago, Burnt Ash said:

IIRC, the first Generations gameplay trailer came out about a week after the teaser, so it's possible we won't have to wait that long to see the first bits of the game.

I want you to be right, but considering this game won't be out until Holiday 2017 (over a year away!) I feel like we're going to be waiting a while until some proper footage and info is given out. I imagine Sega will probably show off more stuff related to Sonic Mania until then to fill the gap.

• Thumbs Up 4

Might be stating the obvious:

- I love the view of the city-in-ruins at 0:38 in the video. Looks epic

- the multiple giant egg robos give off an Egg-Pawn vibe from Heroes

- the setting feels very much like Crisis City, although obviously it's a different location.

- Both Sonic's are under attack. So could it be that they both work together in the same stage. How that would work I've have no idea? How about online co-op where one person plays as classic Sonic and the other plays as Modern?

• Thumbs Up 5

Oof. I'll share the opinion that it was all well and fine until Kid Sonic appeared. With a setting like that and the caption before the reveal, I was expecting someone else, like Knuckles, Shadow, or even a new character. The clash of tone was a little off.

This also knocks down the chance of story with a bit of good tension and plot. But maybe they can come up with something that will be okay to go along with. I personally can't think of anything though lol.

That said, I'm still interested to learn more about this game.

Just now, Dizcrybe said:

..you think classic Sonic will talk this time?

I don't think they will get White to voice him. But... that'd be cool though.

Just now, Dizcrybe said:

if he doesn't then i'm gonna send a bag of flaming poo to sega

just get jahleel white back he voiced sonic recently in a video and sounded like he did in the old days >.>

7 minutes ago, Sr101 said:

My memory is a bit fuzzy but I don't think we knew Generations's name at the time of the teaser either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gahhh I'm neutral about this!

On one hand aw yis darker story I guess and boost?

On the other hand CLASSIC WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?

I was hoping some of Sonics friends would show up but Nope. ?

(Typed on phone)

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Dizcrybe said:

I don't think I'm being too unreasonable by worrying ST's gonna go too far in the opposite direction they were going in as they've been wont to do.

Maybe the "Drop Dash" from Mania is gonna be in this game, too?

Maybe.

8 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Looks like the Jump Dash.

I feel like he normally uncurls in midair before touching the ground though.

Speaking of which, let me post the gifs I found, created by sonicjpeg on Tumblr:

tumblr_oar5jszX8Z1vxlawzo1_400.giftumblr_oar5jszX8Z1vxlawzo2_400.giftumblr_oar5jszX8Z1vxlawzo3_400.giftumblr_oar5jszX8Z1vxlawzo4_400.giftumblr_oar5jszX8Z1vxlawzo5_400.giftumblr_oar5jszX8Z1vxlawzo6_400.giftumblr_oar5jszX8Z1vxlawzo8_400.giftumblr_oar5jszX8Z1vxlawzo7_400.gif

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm gonna be the odd man out and say I'm more hyped for this than Mania. I don't like the Classic Designs, and while Classic Sonic is in this game, I have Modern Sonic to balance that out. I just hope that Pontac and Graff are kept away from this one.

• Thumbs Up 4

Here's my dumb headcanon.

Classic Eggman at the end of Sonic Generations knows what his future is going to be like with countless losses on his end so he can now have the advantage against Sonic always being one step ahead of him and Modern Sonic's timeline is changed because of that.

Edit: Yay, PC release!

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Sonictrainer said:

I feel like he normally uncurls in midair before touching the ground though.

He only uncurls if you let go of the jump button.

2 minutes ago, Dizcrybe said:

I'm not holding my breath, but the reactions to that would be hilarious. In fact, I think it'd actually mitigate the whole "nostalgia pandering" thing at least a little.

Its a shame since Modern Sonic can easily stand on his own, but his image is generally associated with the series` less than stellar record. So obviously the smart move is to pair him with a recognizable face in Classic Sonic. It makes sense and if Generations didn't already do it, I'd at least be interested. 

• Thumbs Up 2