Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Heroes is also a game without genre roulette and multiple playable characters. The same would also go for Gens. There's been various 3D games that have done it to varying degrees of success, some worse than games with genre roulette, but hey Sonic 06 is more fun to shit on.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Ajavalo said:

It seems many of you guys are very pessimistic on how the game's story will turn out. What did you think about Runners' Sonic Team interactions? I think they were great for a game of that style, and Knuckles' portrayal was the right one!

One thing I'd LOVE to see here is Knuckles back to the spotlight.

I don't want Amy to be absent from another Sonic game ever again.

3 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Heroes is also a game without genre roulette and multiple playable characters. The same would also go for Gens. There's been various 3D games that have done it to varying degrees of success, some worse than games with genre roulette, but hey Sonic 06 is more fun to shit on.

Wait.... Gens? What other characters did that have besides Sonic?

I consider Classic and Modern Sonic two separate entities in the same way that I consider Sonic and the Werehog two separate entities in Unleashed, from a gameplay perspective.

• Thumbs Up 6

33 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

I consider Classic and Modern Sonic two separate entities in the same way that I consider Sonic and the Werehog two separate entities in Unleashed, from a gameplay perspective.

Well, I guess. But I'm thinking they're more of referring to games that have one core gameplay style that each character follows. 

If we're talking about one single gameplay style, I wouldn't count Gens. If we're talking about "genre roulette" then I would. It depends on how you're defining the differentiation between different types of Sonic platforming.

59 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

If we're talking about one single gameplay style, I wouldn't count Gens. If we're talking about "genre roulette" then I would. It depends on how you're defining the differentiation between different types of Sonic platforming.

Right. Well, I'd want Sonic 2017 to have Modern characters that follow a core Modern playstyle and Classic characters that follow a core Classic playstyle.

On 12/9/2016 at 0:45 AM, Sonic The Badass said:

I'm on PC but personally 4K isn't that big of a deal to me. Yea it's nice but its not like it makes 1080p look butt ugly or something so I probably won't end up moving to 4K for a long time if at all.

I prefer my 1440p monitor over 4k I do not really like 60hz limit of this monitors, I hope Sega focus on achieving 1080p @ 60 fps on consoles, play Sonic games at 30fps is awful.

Overall I'm expecting Unleashed/Generations like visuals which should be fine to do in 60fps on consoles. Unless they decide to do something very graphically demanding.

On the subject of other characters in 2017... there was that whole shabang a while back regarding Rouge's voice actress having a new Sonic game listed on her resume that hadn't come to light. If I recall correctly it kinda fell in line with the whole Sonic Mach 2 stuff, that Iizuka eventually said was a working title for Fire and Ice (I think). As it stands, Rouge isn't in Fire and Ice and from what we've seen, Karen Strassman doesn't appear to be playing any other character in F&I, so either A. Rio 2016 had a weird codename at one point, or B. Rouge is in Project 2017, at least in some capacity. 

Or of course C. I'm reading into things too much or D. I've forgotten something important regarding the whole tale.

Speaking of Project '17, I have a theory that, while a bit off topic, is what I'd like to share. I have already shared this with two other members by PM, so I thought it would be okay to publicly share this. It is just a theory, nothing confirmed, so keep that in mind. That said, this theory is also about the NX. Now, we all know the NX is one of those consoles '17 will be on, right? Well, with that said, I think that If we don't get anything at TGS, then maybe when the NX is finally revealed, and we know what console the game will be for, they may reveal Project '17 through the NX version, and we will see more of the game on the NX first.Like I said, it is just a theory, but you guys think this sounds reasonable?

1 hour ago, Flamerstreak said:

Speaking of Project '17, I have a theory that, while a bit off topic, is what I'd like to share. I have already shared this with two other members by PM, so I thought it would be okay to publicly share this. It is just a theory, nothing confirmed, so keep that in mind. That said, this theory is also about the NX. Now, we all know the NX is one of those consoles '17 will be on, right? Well, with that said, I think that If we don't get anything at TGS, then maybe when the NX is finally revealed, and we know what console the game will be for, they may reveal Project '17 through the NX version, and we will see more of the game on the NX first.Like I said, it is just a theory, but you guys think this sounds reasonable?

Well, I don't Nintendo reveals SEGA games at the revealing of their consoles. That really really shows what's going through their heads if they do that.

Edited by FlareSakithaSol

8 minutes ago, FlareSakithaSol said:

Well, I don't Nintendo reveals SEGA games at the revealing of their consoles. That really really shows what's going through their heads if they do that.

I thought they showed other third party games as well, not just Nintendo.

Anyway, in case they haven't, or not yet, go ahead and sue me. It was just a thought.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wish we had more info on it besides the trailer, Sonic Mania already has more info coming out but they only have a trailer with no gameplay on this game. 

Mania is probably coming out quite some time before Project 2017, though; I think that's the biggest reason for the relative paucity of information on Project 2017.  If Mania is coming out first by months, then not only would you expect there to be more information available about it, it would also receive more focus as it's a more imminent prospective purchase.  It is possible that the NX reveal is a factor in the quiet surrounding Project 2017, but not the deciding factor, in my opinion.  If the NX reveal is planned to have some kind of early third-party sizzle reel - not unlikely, given that third-party content is one of people's bigger qualms about Nintendo consoles these days - then Sonic's a pretty good candidate for it, I should think.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, SonicsSpeedNews said:

but they only have a trailer with no gameplay on this game. 

That's because it's just a teaser. And even if we wanted more information, Mania comes out long before 2017, so it really makes sense as to why Mania has more information.

• Thumbs Up 4

I wouldn't count on it. The only Sonic game you'd probably be pressed for time to beat in one day is unleashed, and that's only because of the medal collecting.

1 hour ago, SonicEkkusu said:

I hope this game is actually decent length. I don't want this to be another Colors-length game where you cam beat the main game in about a day.

Yeah, here's the thing. Most Sonic games can be beaten in a day, including Adventure, Adventure 2 etc depending on how good you are at the game. I actually beat Adventure DX in a day last January. 

I think the only Sonic game where the short length stood out to me most was Generations, and that was because it legitimately was short even for a Sonic title.

18 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Yeah, here's the thing. Most Sonic games can be beaten in a day, including Adventure, Adventure 2 etc depending on how good you are at the game. I actually beat Adventure DX in a day last January. 

I think the only Sonic game where the short length stood out to me most was Generations, and that was because it legitimately was short even for a Sonic title.

I beat Colors in about 5-8 hours. We definitely need some longer Sonic games, though.

2 minutes ago, SonicEkkusu said:

I beat Colors in about 5-8 hours. We definitely need some longer Sonic games, though.

Yeah, but if you were to play through Generations' story, I legitimately think you could have it done within four hours, it's that short. 

A lot of Sonic games are really short to be honest, and there are fewer exceptions that have an actual decent time that doesn't involve padding. Secret Rings for example is long, but that's because there's a crap ton of additional missions, and you need to take random guesses to which ones are needed to progress, and which ones were just there as additional stuff.

Unleashed did a decent job, the medal hunting excluded, seeing as it had it's fair share of additional acts, missions, and story, and it took me a good 10 hours or so to get through that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, SonicEkkusu said:

I feel like Sonic's best games are the short ones that are replayable. Making Sonic games longer would require either more and longer levels (which, given the average pace of gameplay, would involve tons of R&D and cash), slowing Sonic down to an uncomfortable pace or adding other gameplay mechanics to add fluff.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Indigo Rush said:

I feel like Sonic's best games are the short ones that are replayable. Making Sonic games longer would require either more and longer levels (which, given the average pace of gameplay, would involve tons of R&D and cash), slowing Sonic down to an uncomfortable pace or adding other gameplay mechanics to add fluff.

It doesn't necessarily have to slow Sonic down, or feel padded. There could at least be more levels that you can speed through, or there could be multiple paths that could get you to the goal faster, or slower (six minutes at max.). Multiple paths wouldn't need to be a maze, but have them be easy to navigate to get to the goal.

Another option I think should happen (but likely won't due to the forbidden other characters.) would be multiple campaigns. They wouldn't be forced on you, but they would be optional. You'd have to play through just one to get the final story. I see people complaining about being forced to use characters they don't care about in the Adventure games, and that'd be the reason for making it optional.

The most likely option, however, would be DLC. Maybe add big level packs or something?

• Thumbs Up 1