Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

It's been years since I've played it, but I remember Sonic's and Caliburn's banter being pretty decent.

• Thumbs Up 4

The Storybook series did have great in-game dialogue and quite frankly, the banter between characters in Rise of Lyric was just as good.

15 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

I personally find it hard to believe players could get used to the constant chat whenever Sonic boosted in Unleashed. Something both Colours and Generations did fix, making him far more tolerable. 

Well, I find it kinda cool. It gives this energy into his character and, if you know what you're doing, you won't hear it often. 

And, well, it makes sense for Sonic to keep talking to himself. Because he's awesome and he knows that. Also it can shorten a cut-scenes when I look back at it. It would allow to keep the game story flow.

9 minutes ago, Kfarc said:

Well, I find it kinda cool. It gives this energy into his character and, if you know what you're doing, you won't hear it often. 

And, well, it makes sense for Sonic to keep talking to himself. Because he's awesome and he knows that. Also it can shorten a cut-scenes when I look back at it. It would allow to keep the game story flow.

Oh no if you like it thats fine was just my opinion as I find the constant 'Woo!' grating when I go back to the game. :) 

Thats partially why I find Colours and Gens more appealing

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure if this is true, since it's been a while since it's been a while since I last played it, but I hear you were able to turn off the voices in Unleashed if you didn't want them on.

Again, can't confirm this, though, since I only heard you could, and I never tried did check to see if you could at the time.

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

How many examples of well-written, not-annoying character chatter are there in the series? Doesn't make much sense to scoff at "only four" when it's pretty much every time the series has tried it.

I think it just depends on what you consider well-written and not.

I don't want in game chatter if it's anything like pretty much any time they've tried it. As Jez said, put some good writers on it and WORK WITH THEM so the characters react to what's going on in fun ways and aren't throwing out stock garbage lines. If that sounds difficult,  just don't do it. None of the new Sonic games have it, so I'm guessing they decided to be sensible and admit it wasn't worth pursuing

• Thumbs Up 1

They've done both every time. Stock lines and comments on what's happening in the level...the only thing people don't want is the former. 

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

They've done both every time. Stock lines and comments on what's happening in the level...the only thing people don't want is the former. 

The writing and performances have to be  good too.  We haven't really gotten there yet

Just now, Wraith said:

The writing and performances have to be  good too.  We haven't really gotten there yet

That's debatable, as are so many things amongst this and many other fanbases.

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

That's debatable, as are so many things amongst this and many other fanbases.

I mean, I guess, but this series didn't get mocked for years for it's  voice acting to the point that they changed the cast and direction for no reason.

In my ideal hope, Sonic '17 will feature a very light story and focus solely on Sonic's fight against Eggman. I also hope Classic Sonic is closer to the true Classic Sonic as represented in the Classic Sonic titles. In Generations he was too cuddly and cute, something I fear will carry over in Sonic '17 (as the trailer presented him that way). I mean, he was cute in Generations, but I would rather have the REAL awesome Classic Sonic than Generations Classic Sonic.

I also liked the way the trailer had no dialogue. Hopefully the game follows suit. One thing Generations actually did right was make Classic Sonic silent and convey his character through expressions. If the whole of Sonic '17 followed that suite, I predict good things.

The best Sonic story as far as I'm concerned is Sonic CD, an awesome Classic Sonic title that really captured a dark atmosphere. Sonic '17 would do best to follow in its shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Pixel said:

. In Generations he was too cuddly and cute, something I fear will carry over in Sonic '17 (as the trailer presented him that way). I mean, he was cute in Generations, but I would rather have the REAL awesome Classic Sonic than Generations Classic Sonic.

I don't think they can really get the awesome classic sonic you want without him frowning all the time or by smiling with an eyebrow up a lot.

9 minutes ago, Pixel said:
10 minutes ago, Pixel said:

In my ideal hope, Sonic '17 will feature a very light story and focus solely on Sonic's fight against Eggman. 

The best Sonic story as far as I'm concerned is Sonic CD, an awesome Classic Sonic title that really captured a dark atmosphere. Sonic '17 would do best to follow in its shadow.

Dude this is a modern sonic game, where sonic talks, makes a couple quips, and optionally has tails to follow him. How is sonic team gonna just forget all of this and have sonic run through the whole game silent and have sonic pantomime some cutscenes of "sonic looks up, sees eggman, looks straight again and starts running."

• Thumbs Up 1

Sure, it's a Modern Sonic game, but Sonic Team can still be brave and go for a more subtle and silent approach. And silent, minimalist plots don't have to be pantomimes, look at ICO or Shadow of Colossus. Sonic would massively benefit from a similar silent but dark atmosphere. Especially Sonic '17.

Also, it's more in line with Sonic CD, which should set the example as a Classic Sonic game.

3 minutes ago, Pixel said:

Sure, it's a Modern Sonic game, but Sonic Team can still be brave and go for a more subtle and silent approach. And silent, minimalist plots don't have to be pantomimes, look at ICO or Shadow of Colossus. Sonic would massively benefit from a similar silent but dark atmosphere. Especially Sonic '17.

Also, it's more in line with Sonic CD, which should set the example as a Classic Sonic game.

Yeah, they're being brave and making mania

• Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, Pixel said:

In my ideal hope, Sonic '17 will feature a very light story and focus solely on Sonic's fight against Eggman. I also hope Classic Sonic is closer to the true Classic Sonic as represented in the Classic Sonic titles. In Generations he was too cuddly and cute, something I fear will carry over in Sonic '17 (as the trailer presented him that way). I mean, he was cute in Generations, but I would rather have the REAL awesome Classic Sonic than Generations Classic Sonic.

I also liked the way the trailer had no dialogue. Hopefully the game follows suit. One thing Generations actually did right was make Classic Sonic silent and convey his character through expressions. If the whole of Sonic '17 followed that suite, I predict good things.

TBH if the game still features a light story despite that teaser, it wouldn't surprise me. The current Sonic Team in my mind do know how previous plots turned out in the 'edgy' phase.

Since Classic Sonic is here I'm pretty sure it's another time travel story (duh). As I mentioned a while back though, it'd be pretty cool if the plot was for Modern Sonic to go back in time to fix time Eggman may have created where he won, but runs into Classic Sonic who'd agree to help him save the future. Something similar to Sonic CD. 

Imagine if the stages were so expansive for the sole purpose of destroying the Robot Generators to create a good future. 

Not going to lie. I would LOVE that. How about a Metal Sonic race as a tribute to that game? ;) 

Classic Sonic always looked kind cute to me, even before Generations, tbh, at least with the Japanese artwork. Look at some of these images

Spoiler

sonic-the-hedgehog-cd.png

sonic03_32.png

a493e9d27211a456611e1c49f16c6c30-650-80.

I guess if they wanted to him to look cool, they could use his American design, but I don't think a lot of people want to see that design again, hehe.

Idk. Could just be me. It's not like he can't be cool and cute at the same time.

5 minutes ago, CuzEyeCan said:

Classic Sonic always looked kind cute to me, even before Generations, tbh, at least with the Japanese artwork. Look at some of these images

Reveal hidden contents

sonic-the-hedgehog-cd.png

sonic03_32.png

a493e9d27211a456611e1c49f16c6c30-650-80.

I guess if they wanted to him to look cool, they could use his American design, but I don't think a lot of people want to see that design again, hehe.

Idk. Could just be me. It's not like he can't be cool and cute at the same time.

Felt that he was a hybrid of cute and cocky. I felt Modern Sonic kind of took some of that away but not a problem since Classic is still awesome.

His design is down and is here to stay. Maybe just be a wee bit more badass but no big deal. Mania so far has nailed him down.

They can't use his American design for plenty of reasons. Most obvious being that the mohawk would look friggin' ridiculous in a 3D graphics setting.

Frankly, making Classic Sonic cute is a necessary evil. 

I mean, while both Modern and Classic are pretty much the same Sonic but my (messed up and totally wrong) mindset is telling me that if you make Classic Sonic as cool as Modern but I'm trying to rebut that by trying to see how you could make Classic Sonic look more cooler than what he looks like outside of the Classic games without compromising Modern's cool but nothing really comes to mind.

Spoiler

besides i'm wrong anyway so who cares lol

Sonic was always cute in the Classics but he became a cuddly baby teddy bear in Sonic Generations. He was adorable but he wasn't the legendary Sonic from the true Classic Sonic titles.

I'm hoping they manage to recapture the real Classic Sonic in '17. Classic Sonic in Generations is simply a pale imitation of the awesome Classic Sonic. Hopefully we can see the real Classic Sonic in '17!

• Thumbs Up 1