Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Now that the Nintendo Switch has been revealed, how do you think Sonic 2017 will play on it?

Likely the same as the other versions.

But with it on the go that's more than enough ;) 

Would the title need updated now since it's no longer NX (will miss that name)?

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Now that the Nintendo Switch has been revealed, how do you think Sonic 2017 will play on it?

That depends entirely on the NX's hardware.

Imagine the NX version being a completely different game than what was advertised, like the Wii/PS2 versions of Unleashed.

... Jk, lol.

I don't see why they'd do that to be honest. As far as I can see, the Switch's main gimmick is that it's a portable hybrid, so the most diverse change you should expect is being able to play Sonic '17 on the move I'd think.

For that matter, even if the Switch does have all the motion and touch controlled gizmos that the WiiU did, I'd like to think Sega learnt a pretty valuable lesson from trying to shoehorn that shit into Lost World for no reason, given that they were at least aware enough of the backlash that they ended up patching most of that shit out later anyway.

7 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

I don't see why they'd do that to be honest. As far as I can see, the Switch's main gimmick is that it's a portable hybrid, so the most diverse change you should expect is being able to play Sonic '17 on the move I'd think.

For that matter, even if the Switch does have all the motion and touch controlled gizmos that the WiiU did, I'd like to think Sega learnt a pretty valuable lesson from trying to shoehorn that shit into Lost World for no reason, given that they were at least aware enough of the backlash that they ended up patching most of that shit out later anyway.

I don't think they patched it out but rather gave the option of using traditional controls as well but the point still stands: SEGA shouldn't force any sort of motion controls crap in Project 2017.

• Thumbs Up 4

Plenty of control options, the more ways to play the game the better. Motion controls for the people who like those better.

The reason why I thought that was because I amused that the NX was gonna be much weaker than all the other consoles Project 2017 was gonna be on, and that they would probably have to do that. Should have elaborated more, sorry, lol.

I honestly can't say I feel all too different about how Project 2017 will play on the NX. Mostly because when I get a PS4 I'll probably just buy that version instead..

If I do get it for the NX it'll be years down the line, long after both have gone down in price and after I've owned the console for a while. Kind of like what I did with Generations. 

I mean, it would be great to have 2017 wherever I go but I'm not really going outside when I'm playing. So I find it really hard to consider getting the Switch version as well when I'm already down on getting the PS4 and Steam version.

It's not like I ain't getting the Switch, I'm completely in but getting the Switch version of 2017? If it really is no different from the other versions, I'm not picking it up then.

I'm a lazy fuck who stays at home playing games either on a console, PC or handheld so meh.

4 hours ago, Soni.exe said:

I mean, it would be great to have 2017 wherever I go but I'm not really going outside when I'm playing. So I find it really hard to consider getting the Switch version as well when I'm already down on getting the PS4 and Steam version.

It's not like I ain't getting the Switch, I'm completely in but getting the Switch version of 2017? If it really is no different from the other versions, I'm not picking it up then.

I'm a lazy fuck who stays at home playing games either on a console, PC or handheld so meh.

i would say, wait until you see more of what the Switch has.

like an actual Metroid Prime game,  ;D

If the Nintendo Switch has any noticeable graphics discrepancies against the PS4 and Xbone (which it doesn't seem like it, barring the Pro/Scorpio versions), then I'd expect Sonic 2017 Switch to take a dip in resolution or on-screen effects, I would be surprised if Sonic Team allowed any version to fall below 60fps after Iizuka commented on how they did everything they could to make Sonic Lost World run at that framerate. It's clearly a priority for them, and it's one I applaud because Sonic games at a high framerate are delicious.

DELICIOUS

• Thumbs Up 9

Something tells me that Switch version of Sonic 2017 will be entirely different from others and be like an alternative DS version of a game with Dimps involved, like they usually are. Welp, we'll see I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

i could see that happening, if Nintendo would be discontinuing the 3DS in favor for Switch,

otherwise, i have personal assumptions that it maybe won't come to the Switch at all. Skyrim being a sort of example why.

5 hours ago, Spееdy said:

Something tells me that Switch version of Sonic 2017 will be entirely different from others and be like an alternative DS version of a game with Dimps involved, like they usually are. Welp, we'll see I guess.

...what exactly is telling you this?

• Thumbs Up 8

On 10/21/2016 at 0:48 PM, Fr0zenanus said:

otherwise, i have personal assumptions that it maybe won't come to the Switch at all. Skyrim being a sort of example why.

Errrr. but unlike Skyrim, the teaser for Sonic 2017 explicitly stated the new Nintendo console would be getting the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

They probably think the Switch would probably be too weak to handle the main game, and that they would have to make a different game for it to compensate for it, kinda like Unleashed PS2/Wii.

I don't know if that'll be the case or not, since we don't know it's specs, atm, but I'm pretty sure that won't be the case, especially since it's able to run Breath of the Wild in a cartridge.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that what really made a difference in Unleashed HD/Wii versions was the CPU power. This thing should have a more powerful CPU than the X1/PS4, so we're out of trouble.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Eeeh... My mind?

I'm sorry if I made it sound confusing like I'm a special source of information here lol. Poorly worded for sure, but I'm just a regular guy on the Internet...

Unless you're sarcasticly joking when asking this question then I understand.

Anyway, CuzEyeCan got my point right, thank you :)

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Sonikko said:

I think that what really made a difference in Unleashed HD/Wii versions was the CPU power. This thing should have a more powerful CPU than the X1/PS4, so we're out of trouble.

I don't know where you're getting that idea... for one thing Nintendo themselves said their focus is not power. I expect the Switch to be AT BEST on par with those systems, not better. This is a mobile tablet, having it be more powerful than the other consoles would probably make the cost skyrocket or kill battery life. The Tegra was meant for high power in a small form factor, and while it does impressive work from what I know, I doubt it'll be the biggest powerhouse this generation, even excluding the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One S or whatever they're calling it.

I do agree though that most likely, this time there won't be a big enough hardware difference for the Switch version of Sonic 2017 to be neutered in any significant way, at least not while docked. We don't know if there's any performance drop for mobile mode, so the Jury's verdict on that one shall have to wait.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 22/10/2016 at 9:09 AM, Sonikko said:

This is debatable. From what I hear the Switch uses a custom Nvidia Tegra SoC. I seriously doubt the CPU in the Switch is significantly more powerful. Besides the thing that makes the biggest difference graphics wise is the graphics card, which the PS4/XB1 almost certainly have an upper hand in.

The Switch is going to be a fair bit out from PS4/XBO power; for a rough estimate of what we're dealing with, Digital Foundry did a great look into things: