Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Yeah, kinda sounds like folks were jumping the gun a bit over it lacking parkour...

I mean, fair enough we don't know what they have in mind other than it being very likely this'll incorporate the boost. But let's not jump to other conclusions this quick.

I'm not sure which part of that QA 100% confirmed boost formula, but knowing my luck it probably is.

What the actual game will be like in terms of level design and control beyond the simple inclusion of the boost remains to be seen though. I'm a bit sad, but honestly after the critical nuclear bomb that Boom was, its no surprise that Sonic Team are turning to something they know critics will like.

Eh, I'm not so sure if Boost is confirmed because of the trailer. Its very likely that boost is involved, because the moveset Sonic uses in the trailer appears similar to the one he had in the boost games and the game as a whole gives off Gens vibes, not to mention that its a safe choice that most people like after Lost World and Boom became points of contention for fans (and let's leave it at that...). But to say its confirmed implies that Sega's made a statement on the matter besides "Its not completely like Gens."

I'm praying for parkour. Seriously, boost and parkour would mesh so well together and it would be a great expansion on what Unleashed, Colors, and Gens. established. But we'll have to wait and see. I'd also be happy if they added co-op and made a worthwhile multiplayer mode-- maybe even some online functionality beyond being able to submit times to a leaderboard. I'm just hoping its not Wisps. I love, love, love Sonic Colors but the Wisps lost their story context when Colors' plot concluded and the timeline got restored in Gens, and no game has executed the Wisp gameplay as well as Colors (and in the case of Lost World, they weren't even executed well on their own merits). I'd rather Sega moved on from them. And dear god, I hope Sonic Team's not going to do that thing where they add some bizarre element to an otherwise good gameplay in an attempt to be innovative. If its going to add something new, I want it to make sense and be executed well.

Well that's interesting, probably just a one-off then but still interesting nonetheless.

But I instantly thought of "Oh boi, here comes the rise of Sonic's Shitty Friends meme", this outta be interesting.

One of my thoughts is what he means by "completely new"; because if Boom Sonic's the "new component" mentioned in the previous Q&A answer, then he'll prolly be on a "completely new" gameplay style due to this being Sonic Team's first time handling him.

I do think it's more likely to just be a "completely new" one-off villain a la the Deadly Six or something, but just floating ideas. 

9 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

And there's quite possibly a big one!

Well, I honestly saw that coming. New characters for new franchise installments tend to be the norm. Now, the role said new character(s) play(s), is the real meat of things.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Flare Sol the Snivy said:

Well, you really don't need the quote to know boost is confirmed. Just look at the trailer. 

So classic sonic has the boost too?

4 hours ago, Flare Sol the Snivy said:

Well, you really don't need the quote to know boost is confirmed. Just look at the trailer. 

Highly objectionable since all it really confirms are Sonic and his younger self working together again.

5 minutes ago, Scar said:

So classic sonic has the boost too?

It's not just specifically the boost, Modern Sonic showcases practically the entire boost game moveset during the trailer. That, and the trailer opens with a focus on "hey we made the boost games," glossing over LW. The latter's not especially solid proof, but the first one kiiiiinda indicates it's prolly Boost. 

I'm happy to know that we're back to the second most well received 3D play style and that modern Sonic can at least show consistency in their multiplatform releases. I'm excited to see the improvements they make. As for this new character, I'm thinking it's either another monster that betrays Eggman or another time traveling character, either way I'll be shocked if they leave a better impression than the Dreadfully Subpar did. At least Zeena still lives on through that special kind of fan art

Alright, proper translation courtesy of SourceGaming's PushDustIn; sounds like I was indeed very off

oh

15 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

It's not just specifically the boost, Modern Sonic showcases practically the entire boost game moveset during the trailer. That, and the trailer opens with a focus on "hey we made the boost games," glossing over LW. The latter's not especially solid proof, but the first one kiiiiinda indicates it's prolly Boost. 

Fair enough. I mean I've internally consigned myself to a boost game, but a guy can dream that they've made some significant changes in the last 3 years

Not sure what to feel. On one hand, okay a new character, who's it gonna be?

Then again, they'll be used only for this, and not so often. Except in Olympic Game events. (The others also appeared in Runners and that's it.)

33 minutes ago, CuzEyeCan said:

So, we're getting a new character in this game, huh? 

... Please don't be another hedgehog, please don't be another hedgehog.

Please let it be SOME kind of Mobian.

• Thumbs Up 3

There were three Death Egg Robots in the trailer. One for Eggman from the past, one for Eggman from the present, and one for the new character, Eggman from the future (not Nega), confirmed.

Really though, a new character of some sort isn't surprising, so I'm just gonna wait to see if/how they fuck it up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't get it.

If this game isn't a sequel to Generations, then why is the gameplay formula similar to it?

I'm confused.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

I don't get it.

If this game isn't a sequel to Generations, then why is the gameplay formula similar to it?

I'm confused.

More in a sense how Shadow has a similar gameplay formula to Heroes even tho the game treats it more of a sequel to SA2?

A new character, huh? What are the odds that it could be just Sticks? Not saying I think it is Sticks, but anything is possible.

When you look back at Generations and Colours, Generations wasn't really a sequel to Colours in name, but it certainly was in its gameplay and story. I honestly think that's the angle Iizuka is going for. 

Generations is the only mainline console game not to have a new character, so that's not really surprising.