Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

To me, if they are going to add a new character, they should aim to make that character likable as much as they possibly can. They should develop the character too to make him/her look good. They can't just throw a character in, not do much with him/her and expect people to like that character. They should put more work into that character. I mean, they don't want to go the route they went when they introduced the Deadly Six, do they? Those characters weren't well developed, and not too likable. It would be an absolute waste if they were to make a character like that again. Hopefully, they will have learned not to do what they did with the Deadly Six and put more effort into that character, whoever it is, provided that they don't spend too much time with the Sonics.

Now that I think about it, what if the new character is Classic Knuckles? He hasn't been used since in any Modern Sonic game, and we didn't get to see him in Generations. He's new enough for Sonic Team to say he is a new character, but old enough to where they aren't being too risky.

I would wonder how his personality would be if he was in there.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, King of the Black Arms said:

Now that I think about it, what if the new character is Classic Knuckles? He hasn't been used since in any Modern Sonic game, and we didn't get to see him in Generations. He's new enough for Sonic Team to say he is a new character, but old enough to where they aren't being too risky.

I would wonder how his personality would be if he was in there.

sonic_generations_classic_and_modern_wal

ugh... then it really would be generations 2, also his personality, don't you remember sonic underground and sonic OVA?

wait...... knuckles could fly then

• Thumbs Up 2

Smart money is on the new face being a villain, MoTW or a "companion" character like Chip. I think I'd be honestly surprised if they went to the drawing board to develop a new player character. Particularly so after we already know Classic Sonic is back in the mix. Why play it safe by re-treading that ground, only to throw a curveball with another Silver/Shadow/Blaze/ect. ? 

Unleashed remains my favorite Sonic game, so I'm pretty stoked for the confirmation that they are continuing to move forward with that building block. They have to keep innovating and keep pushing creativity to get the most out of it, but I think that they have gotten better as time has gone on and I'd love to see what they can come up with this time. They borrowed a tiny bit from Rush in Gens, so lets see if this new one can up the bar even more. 

Why is everyone thinking the mystery new dude or dudette is 'Boom Sonic'? He's not a new character. Neither is Sticks.

Smart money says we have a new villain, and that villain isn't just primordial monster #45. But yeah, I don't really want to talk about this game until we see or hear something actually concrete, rather than debating the trailer and how Modern Sonic is an absolute travesty because he came to my house and ate my Nutella, and SOnic Team said nothing and because they're cowards or whatever.

but #b00st4lyf suckas 

• Thumbs Up 8

12 hours ago, CuzEyeCan said:

So, we're getting a new character in this game, huh? 

... Please don't be another hedgehog, please don't be another hedgehog.

This, so much this. If we're really gonna have a new character I'd really love it if they brought in an animal we've never seen as a sonic character before like an ant or an orca. Would be cool if Sega thought outside of the box.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

I'm greatly amused by the whole "Please don't be Boom Sonic" thing everyone's saying, given there's no indication on how he'd play (seeing as this'd be Sonic Team's first time using the character, and I'm very doubtful they'd go back to RoL style after that game's reception). Is the sports tape and scarf that offensive?

To me it's more like i just want to play as the other characters again since it's been a while, classic being included kinda killed the chances for that having 3 sonics playable even if they have different gameplay styles just feels..underwhelming that's all.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blacklightning said:

My issue with this is less the Boom subfranchise itself (though I'll reiterate as per usual that Boom seemingly only exists in its current state anymore to needlessly divide fanbases when now above all else they desperately need to be conglomerated) and more that we really should not need three fucking playable Sonics to fill certain niches when the supporting cast are equally if not much more suitable for it, and have been neglected for the better part of a decade. Hell, I already found it bad enough that Modern and Classic Sonics were made into separate characters to start with - this would just be taking the piss.

28 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

To me it's more like i just want to play as the other characters again since it's been a while, classic being included kinda killed the chances for that having 3 sonics playable even if they have different gameplay styles just feels..underwhelming that's all.

Completely agree with these folks. Can we play with someone else in 3D, please? It's already been reiterated a thousand times, just make whatever character that's playable a variation of Sonic. Sonic Mania and the Advance series can do it, I don't see why this new game can't.

• Thumbs Up 2

I shoud've known there'd be 2D gameplay in this but still...

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Getting sick of these 2D/3D hybrid games. 2D Classic fans already have Mania to look forward to, what's the point of having it in this game? I'm starting to loathe Classic Sonic now.

The 3D gameplay could be boost again, or it could be something different who knows. I just hope Modern Sonic won't have 2D sections at all

New character I won't be fussed about, I just hope the story is worth more than half a damn this time around. 

• Thumbs Up 7

10 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Well we don't really know what the premise is yet, we can't assume that this character's purpose is one that could be filled by an existing character.

Yeah, I don't know about you, but the premise as far as what we've seen sounds pretty clear just from the teaser alone - Eggman's gotten serious in his goals of world conquest and Sonic needs to step his game up with his Classic self to stop the madman. Almost Generations 2 despite claims that it's otherwise.

Depending on whatever other information they give us that says differently, it's a tough sell for this new character's purpose when an existing character from the cast we have in just the games alone could very well be used instead. And that's not getting into whether this is even a new villain, which risks coming off in poor taste when Eggman could use a lot more time being the one in control as the central villain unless this new character is a permanent underling.

Either way, we have more than enough material to work with without an entirely new character being created here, so they could hold off on the practice of making a new guy and just use what they've had before.

• Thumbs Up 1

it would be interesting to me, if the new character, was human. not an rich kid like Chris, mind you. but maybe someone more like Helen, or the main side characters like the storybook mains, (okay, they're not human but you get what i mean)

just don't have romance between them like Elise, just make it an sort of means to an end deal.

an race like the characters from Sonic Shuffle, would be acceptable maybe. or the plant-species from season 3 of Sonic X.

Sonic's Oneechan? 

Sonic Adventure made an attempt, but it was far from a full success. Sonic didn't even have a proper roll button.

Sonic didn't even have a proper roll button.

i popped an blood vessel,

Edited by Fr0zenanus
for silly reasons.
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

I'm going to steer in the opposite of my usual mindset and say that after careful consideration, assuming Modern Sonic's gameplay is a continuation of the Boost formula (I hate that term, can we change it to GoFast McHoldX?) I want to see it taken to its inevitable conclusion and build on its strengths in constant movement - meaning that, when we reach a 3D section, Sonic doesn't stop moving.

Now, that's not me saying it should be mindless quickstepping and sliding with the occasional drift; Sonic Dash is not what I'm thinking about here. 

So, Sonic & the Secret Rings basically...? 

I'll tell you what, if there's one thing this game absolutely needs, it's a proper camera system. I could excuse Colors for not having one since it tried to use literally every controller setup on the Wii, but it's outright annoying that Generations and Lost World didn't have any camera controls when they easily could've. Any 3D platformer coming out beyond the PS1 era should have camera controls; it just doesn't make sense for there not to be any.

What we know so far is that there's a third new gameplay component and that there is a new character. It's likely that that component is tied to the new character, but also is entirely possible that it's something for the two Sonics we have. Which that bursts a big bubble of mine.

You know, I really love Classic Sonic games. I've been so utterly hyped over Mania, but you know what Mania has that Project 2017 isn't sounding like it's going to have now? Playable characters that aren't Sonic. 

I'll be honest and bring up this year's SAGE to back me up in a concept that I've wanted to see. I've wanted to see a mixture of 3D and 2D elements of the franchise come to a compromise and match up their best elements to make a super game if you will where you could play as not only Sonic but as his friends as well in terms that each new character will add something to how you play the same levels. You know? It's like Sonic 3 and Knuckles. It's like what Sonic Adventure tried to do but then fell short of even though it was a really damn good first try at that in all honesty. When I play Sonic Utopia and GHP Act 2 I'm having so much fun and it's so easily capable to have more than just Sonic playable in either with their design that even builds upwards and downwards like a topographical map. It's a great way to design a Sonic game with multiple playable characters in mind and have them all play roughly the same but have their own unique abilities to add to the table. 

I'm not disgusted with the choice of this being Sonic Generations 2 in all but name. Let's just say it. A general audience liked what Sonic Team made for once. They even liked Sonic Colours. It's the most solid 3D formula Sonic Team has made. Sure, it's not impressive to Sonic fans themselves now. Sure, it's easily seen as lazy, that much is true. At the same time, they don't want to rock the boat but want to try to rock the boat. That want to rock the boat a bit anyways introduces us to this third new component. 

So what is this third new component of gameplay? Is it tied to the new character? Is this new character an actually new character or someone that they're treating like a new character? Speculation runs rampant now. 

I just hope for the best. I'd love this game to have a great new thing. I want this thing to be just as good as Mania is to me as this can be to fans of 3D Sonic. I just have some hope that this new character isn't another Sonic. Please, just don't let it be another Sonic. I want to play as someone who isn't Sonic anymore. With this game's tone, the last thing you need is an Army of Sonics in place of building up a Game Series cast of Freedom Fighters. 

I mean. This is a future ruled by Eggman. Obviously Sonic can't time travel or dimension hop and build an army of himself in place of building up a playable Resistance team. Right? Sega and Sonic Team should obviously put the time into making sure other characters could be fun playable additions to the franchise again. Right? 

• Thumbs Up 4

Chances are that we're not going to see any more of this game until after Mania is released, so that kinda stinks. I want to at least know what the game is actually called though.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Terriful said:

My money is on Sonic Resistance but my personal hope is that somehow it'll be Sonic Adventure 3.

it can't be because Iizuka apparently didn't notice fans wanted one

Just now, Neo_Fire_Sonic said:

it can't be because Iizuka apparently didn't notice fans wanted one

Yeah, but it's not too late to change the title. Especially when it currently comes out a year from now and currently is unnamed.

8 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

I heard that the game is called Sonic Genealogy somewhere... But where?

I sure hope not. That would be such an unfitting title. But it would explain Classic Sonic... I dunno.

I would lmao if Sonic GENEalogy isn't the sequel for Sonic GENErations.

"This isn't a sequel is a brand new experience" Yeah, sure xD

53 minutes ago, Terriful said:

Yeah, but it's not too late to change the title. Especially when it currently comes out a year from now and currently is unnamed.

Do you just want the name?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Do you just want the name?

The name is definitely desirable. We all know it's not going to follow the adventure-formula, so that'd be a reason to not call it that. It just seems to fit for some reason. I don't know why.

Just now, Terriful said:

The name is definitely desirable. We all know it's not going to follow the adventure-formula, so that'd be a reason to not call it that. It just seems to fit for some reason. I don't know why.

That makes no sense. This game doesn't resemble Adventure 1 & 2 at all, in terms of playable characters or gameplay. (From what we've been told)

Slapping the Adventure title onto this game would be a more underhanded lie than calling Sonic 4 a true sequel to 3&K.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, Forte-the-Bell-Tolls said:

Slapping the Adventure title onto this game would be a more underhanded lie than calling Sonic 4 a true sequel to 3&K.

Ok, you have a point there. The only reason I think they would is the fact that it would sell well if they titled it Adventure 3. I know it basically has nothing to qualify it as an adventure game, but SEGA wants money and I think they would go so far as to call it Adventure 3 to get as much as they can.