Awoo.

The Future of Sonic the Hedgehog - Is this the really end of Sonic Boom era?

Solister

sonic-25th-anniversary-1.jpg

So, now is official, we will have 2 games, Sonic Mania, and an unnamed project (Usually referred as Project Sonic 2017). Sonic Mania will be a typically 2D Sonic game, and it have been called as "Official Sonic Fan-Game". And Project Sonic 2017 have been called as "Sonic Generations 2 or Sonic Adventure 3", even Takashi Iizuka saying that will be "A new Sonic experience". 

sonic_boom_hd.jpg

After two unsuccessful, Sonic Boom campaign, Sonic Team announced Sonic Boom Fire & Ice, and it be released in September 27th, 2016. Fortunately, yesterday (Or today according to your meridian position). We don't have surprised with another Sonic Boom game. Please note that, this wasn't the finish, besides Sonic Boom Fire & Ice, we have some rumors that Sonic Boom Rise of the Lyric will coming to Steam, but we don't have much information about that. And We'll have the second season of Sonic Boom.

So, what we really can believe? Is the end of Sonic Boom era or not? What we can have more about this new Sonic games?

We know, that Project Sonic 2017, will have Madeon musics in your trailers, an something not so officially, that Crush 40 and Julien-K can be behind the inside game music:

Crush 40, was said something similar in the start of the year, but the Tweet was deleted.

Sonic Mania will be produced by Christian Whitehead, and much probably will be made in Retro Engine. Hyper Potion & Nitro Fun will made the game music. Sonic Classic things are added to other Sonic contents, like Sonic Dash.

Sonic-Mania-960x540.jpgSonic-Resistance-960x540.jpg

We also will have a Crossover with SEGA series, SEGA Blast Heroes, and Sonic was confirmed to appear.

segablastheroes.png

But yeah, all information about Sonic Mania, Project Sonic 2017 and SEGA Blast Heroes are mismatched, so I don't have 100% sure that all things I said here are official and confirmed. If I write something wrong, I'll try to fix. And moderators, if I put in the wrong place, or they thing that this topic can be deleted, please do what youconsider right.

What exactly do you mean by "Boom's Era"?

We're getting season 2 and the show is successful. As for the games, I think it depends on how bad Fire & Ice sells. If it does terribly, I definitely see them just relegating future Boom games to mobile. It's not going to be the franchise's main focus, but it never was.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Marcello said:

We're getting season 2 and the show is successful. As for the games, I think it depends on how bad Fire & Ice sells. If it does terribly, I definitely see them just relegating future Boom games to mobile. It's not going to be the franchise's main focus, but it never was.

I say that we never will see another game of Sonic Boom, beyond Sonic Boom Fire & Ice, all the next game will be only with Classic or Modern Sonics. The series it's another matter, it was been very accepted (Same that was cancelled in Brazil), but have a great audience in all world. All I wanted it's we have a principal series game focused in the modern Sonic, something that we don't see since 2013, and some peoples say that Sonic Lost World wasn't a good Sonic game, and the last good game we have is Sonic Generations in 2011.

As long as the show is doing well, Boom isn't going to die anytime soon. I mean, Fire & Ice is getting some positive rep from E3 so yeah. I mean, it's likely that Fire & Ice will be better received than Shattered Crystal but whether it sells well or not is up to debate.

Not really showing it's signs that it's ending. 

There's a season 2 on the way and apparently there could be more sonic boom games. Depends on how well Fire and Ice will be in both critically and sells wise. 

If this is the end of Boom, good riddance. 

The Sonic Boom games were trash. Rise of Lyric was unplayable garbage, and Shattered Crystal was bland and forgettable. Fire and Ice just looks like another Shattered Crystal with an unintuitive  gimmick.

The only good things to come out of Boom were the cartoon and the short-lived Archie comic.  The characters are likable enough and the slice-of-life stories amusing enough in both to stay tolerable despite being based on terrible games. This supplementary material is the one positive aspect of the Boom subseries, and I'm legitimately happy to see the cartoon get a second season.

The games, though? It's time to pull the plug on this failed attempt to "reinvent" Sonic. I can only hope the higher-ups learn from this travesty, and never attempt anything like this again.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't think Boom is entirely dead. As everyone said before, the show is still a thing and is still going strong despite the mistreatment from the networks.

But I do believe that the games and the ambition SEGA had for them certainly is dying with Fire & Ice being what seems to be a final attempt at seeing if Boom works as a game series. If not, SEGA might just keep everything to mobile while Modern Sonic stays on the game store shelves.

I'm not sure how the toys are selling, so I can't really give any input on what Tomy wants to do with the Boom line in particular.

29 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

If this is the end of Boom, good riddance. 

The Sonic Boom games were trash. Rise of Lyric was unplayable garbage, and Shattered Crystal was bland and forgettable. Fire and Ice just looks like another Shattered Crystal with an unintuitive  gimmick.

The only good things to come out of Boom were the cartoon and the short-lived Archie comic.  The characters are likable enough and the slice-of-life stories amusing enough in both to stay tolerable despite being based on terrible games. This supplementary material is the one positive aspect of the Boom subseries, and I'm legitimately happy to see the cartoon get a second season.

The games, though? It's time to pull the plug on this failed attempt to "reinvent" Sonic. I can only hope the higher-ups learn from this travesty, and never attempt anything like this again.

I agree. I don't considering that the end of Sonic Boom, is SEGA don't release anymore with the logo "Sonic Boom". I just want, that we don't have another Sonic Boom game. We can use somethings in the original series, like Sticks, I don't think she's a bad character. I Just want that we have more "Normal Sonic" content that 90% of content released is related with Sonic Boom. We can continue with the series, toys and books. I just don't want so many games of Sonic Boom in a little period of time, where Classic and Modern Sonic never appears.

The Boom series has been responsible for a game nobody played and Rise of Lyric, a game so bad that the especially cynical are calling it perhaps the worst of this generation. The most SEGA will do is occasionally release mobile or handheld games to capitalize on the successful cartoon, but other than that and the show's continuation I'm expecting the line to remain dormant. No big games or events, just quietly continuing to exist. The time to be adventurous or outgoing with Boom has ended by SEGA's own hand.

Boom's place as this massive multimedia thing for Sonic was pretty much gone by the end of 2014.

The TV show is pretty much the face of Boom now and it's still doing well for itself. As long as it continues to do so you'll probably still be seeing some toys, T-shirts, pencil cases etc.

Future games depend on how well Fire & Ice does. There's the argument that they'll keep making games as long as the TV show keeps going but if they aren't selling then they'll disappear too. 

Boom was always a secondary thing, it's just that we've had no main content for a few years so it's had the stage to itself. Now that Classic and modern are coming back in full swing, Boom's place will start to feel a bit more apparent.

As long as the show is still going strong, then SEGA would be foolish not to monetize one of the most up front and visable parts of the Sonic brand. That means we will be seeing more Boom stuff, more content on the comics side (even if the Boom series has run it course) and finally yes, more games.

The games were never meant to be the anchor for the Boom Franchise anyway. It was apparent pretty early on to a lot of us that the cartoon was the lynchpin here. It was the piece of the brand with the potential to reach the widest audience, and it quickly established itself as the center of the Boom universe by preforming well in both ratings and general acceptance.

As long as that cartoon has legs, the Boom  franchise isn't going anywhere.

It was a franchise reboot that Sega got cold feet on actually going through with long before the first game came out. It's surprising, and almost certainly more due to the success of the show than anything, that it has survived as long as it has.

• Thumbs Up 5

To me, Sonic Boom IS the cartoon.  The games and merch are the 'spin-offs', if you like.  Just like any number of Cartoon Network shows.  SEGA have made no secret that they want Sonic to build as a general entertainment icon.  The cartoon does that well.  The fact that they're actively evolving and developing the series says to me that they have little intention of ending the 'Sonic Boom era'.

At the is point, the games are almost incidental.  I'm sure Fire and Ice will sell well enough and I'm sure there'll be another game... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think there ever really was a "Sonic Boom era," tbh.

I mean to me, it seems like Boom was always going to be a spin-off, but after the failure of Rise of Lyric, & Shattered Crystal, SEGA decided to just keep it to the TV Show.

On 7/23/2016 at 10:06 AM, Marcello said:

I think if the games turned out well they would be. There were a lot of loaded statements in the beginning tgat made it seem like boom was suppoused to hit a lot harder than it did.