Awoo.

The Future of Sonic the Hedgehog #2 - The start of a new era?

Solister

SonicProject2017Header.jpg?resize=1920%2

Into a directly continue of my other topic The Future of Sonic the Hedgehog - Is this the really end of Sonic Boom era?

But. before we start, let's do a little review of the conclusion of the last topic.

We know that Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal are bad games. We see too that the toys and books lines weren't bad, and the series is a successfully project. We also have the Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice coming September of this year. If this game be good, we can continue with the Sonic Boom franchise, if be bad, we just cancel the game and becomes just with the TV series and toys line.

The Start of a new era?

Recently, we know two Sonic games in Development, Sonic Mania and Project Sonic 2017 (See more at the first edition). Sonic Mania will be a 100% Classic Sonic game, and Project Sonic will be a 50% of Classic and Modern game. Will be and injustice tell that, considering a new era after the announcement, this is the continuation of the modern era, as see we have a 75% game-play of Classic Sonic and just 25% of Modern Sonic game-play. We also some rumors that Sonic Boom or Adventure Sonic will appear in the game, but this are just rumors, and in fact, if they appear, Sonic Classic will continue with the highest percentage.

I don't know if correct to say that we backed to the classic era, because we probably will have other Modern Sonic games. But it also wrong say that we continue in modern era (In my view).

We can separate the Sonic timeline in this:

sonic03_32.png

Classic era (1991-1998) - Sonic the Hedgehog to Sonic R

362055-sa_sonic_06.jpg

Adventure era (1998 - 2006) - Sonic Adventure to Sonic Riders

Modern_sonic.jpg

Modern era - (2006 - 2013) Sonic '06 to Sonic Lost World

sonic_boom_era_by_nibroc_rock-d9mrzli.pn

Boom era - (2014 - 2016 (?)) - Sonic Boom Rise of the Lyric to Sonic Boom Fire & Ice)

genxqdte.jpg

New Era (2016 - Future) - Sonic Mania\Project Sonic 2017

Also will be wrong say, that we're in the new era, but we can suppose that it coming. This new era isn't just characterized if the possible end of Sonic Boom Games. But that we will have the back of a real Sonic Classic game (Sonic Generations doesn't count). It's a little hard to define this new era with just 1 trailer of a game, but we know that will be different to the classic and modern eras, something like the two mixed in one era.

What we can preview?

It's hard to preview something with just so little information, but we can say, that probably we will start to have 2 Sonic games, one with Classic Sonic and other with the Modern Sonic. May we have some crossover with the Sonic in specials events, like their anniversary game. So, what you think, we will have a new era? Or this is just hype from the Sonic Anniversary? What types of games you'll like to see in this new era?

Crossover titles would get VERY annoying after a certain point and would ruin it being "special".

After Project 2017, I really want Classic to stay in his own series of that's what Sega wants to do. Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited for the new game, but it really doesn't feel that special to see the two Sonic's teaming up after generations.

• Thumbs Up 3

I know people generally think of '06 as being part of the 'modern' era because of how the eras were presented in Generations... But in hindsight, shouldn't it be considered along with the Adventure games as part of that era? It calls back to story points from those games (matter of fact, I'd say it's like a direct sequel to Shadow the Hedgehog) and has a lot of similar gameplay elements to the Adventure titles. Starting with Unleashed day stages, we saw a new type of gameplay and story presentation that continued with Colors and Generations. Even Lost World, though it has a completely different type of gameplay, is stylistically similar to those games. So though nobody may agree with me, I personally think of the modern era as starting with Unleashed and ending with Lost World. As hated as it may be, '06 is the spiritual and literal successor to the games in the Adventure series so I consider it part of the Adventure era.

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I know people generally think of '06 as being part of the 'modern' era because of how the eras were presented in Generations... But in hindsight, shouldn't it be considered along with the Adventure games as part of that era? It calls back to story points from those games (matter of fact, I'd say it's like a direct sequel to Shadow the Hedgehog) and has a lot of similar gameplay elements to the Adventure titles. Starting with Unleashed day stages, we saw a new type of gameplay and story presentation that continued with Colors and Generations. Even Lost World, though it has a completely different type of gameplay, is stylistically similar to those games. So though nobody may agree with me, I personally think of the modern era as starting with Unleashed and ending with Lost World. As hated as it may be, '06 is the spiritual and literal successor to the games in the Adventure series so I consider it part of the Adventure era.

06 continued from the Adventure games the same way Adventure continued from the Classic games.

I don't like to think this is the start of a new "era" for Sonic, but rather a revitalization of Sonic's core games and, in a more honest sense than ever, truly returning to his roots. Not just copying what the old games did for nostalgia points, but re-establishing Sonic's fundamental design and potentially rebuilding the formula based off of the foundation that it originally started on.

Though, I only come to this conclusion based solely on Sonic Mania; taking it as a sign that Sega and Sonic Team are actually trying to recommit to making games that match the quality of the Genesis games, rather than using shallow nostalgia pandering to sucker people into buying more fundamentally flawed games  that fail to actually recreated what it's trying to sell. Though I have a hard time even believing that since it's all to convenient for Sega to outsource a faithful classic styled Sonic game to Stealth and Taxman; they practically had to gift wrap working builds of Sonic CD on current gen consoles in order for Sega to consider letting them develop the re-releases of the Genesis games, and letting them make their own brand new 2D Sonic game would be a win-win scenario all around with barely any effort of Sega's part.

But to try not to sound too cynical, this return to form with Mania, and whatever Sonic 2017 implies, at least tells me that Sega have finally had a fire lit under their asses and are putting some effort into Sonic again, if the horrible sales of Lost World and Sonic Boom are any indication. Sega realize Sonic's brand recognition is finally starting to run dry and the only way they're gonna keep people buying Sonic again is to actually put out good games.

So as far as seeing a new "era", I don't think so. I have reason to believe Sega has finally decided that doing radically different games is a recipe for disaster and are finally going to focus on games that build off of a stable foundation rather than constantly creating new ones. So not a new era, perhaps an evolution... or a perpetuation of the status quo and a steady stream of rehashed material that only wallows in the nostalgia of previous games without ever daring to try and evolve from that.... but that's just cynical me again.

• Thumbs Up 2

The idea that Project 2017 is using both Classic and Modern Sonic as an indication that, from now on, they'll be embracing the legacy of Classic and attempting to move forward with both classic-style games and modern-style games is a generous one... but it might just be true.  I think that's quite a positive interpretation.

13 hours ago, Sparky said:

06 continued from the Adventure games the same way Adventure continued from the Classic games.

Personally I would avoid eras at all, since no one agrees on them, BUT, if we insist that in 2011 there were 3 eras (classic, adventure, modern), then 06 is part of adventure era.

I know it's a black sheep and no one wants it, but it's way closer to Adventure games than Unleashed or Colors. It has serious story, mulitple characters and no boost or 2D sections. It's a Adventure game, just in the most bastard version possible, like Sonic 1 GBA is bastard version of Sonic 1 or Mighty no 9 is bastard Megaman game.

If you really want to "disown" it, then assume that 2005-2007 was a 4th "dark era" or something. But maybe it should end in 2009 with Black Knight, maybe Heroes should be part of it, maybe dividing Sonic into eras is a major headache.

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Personally I would avoid eras at all, since no one agrees on them, BUT, if we insist that in 2011 there were 3 eras (classic, adventure, modern), then 06 is part of adventure era.

I know it's a black sheep and no one wants it, but it's way closer to Adventure games than Unleashed or Colors. It has serious story, mulitple characters and no boost or 2D sections. It's a Adventure game, just in the most bastard version possible, like Sonic 1 GBA is bastard version of Sonic 1 or Mighty no 9 is bastard Megaman game.

If you really want to "disown" it, then assume that 2005-2007 was a 4th "dark era" or something. But maybe it should end in 2009 with Black Knight, maybe Heroes should be part of it, maybe dividing Sonic into eras is a major headache.

06 is only as similar to Adventure as Adventure is to the classics. Sonic Adventure was similar to Sonic 3K, but expanded and in 3D and stuff. 06 is an evolution of the Adventure games in a similar fashion. Sonic 2 evolved from Sonic 1, Sonic 3 evolved from Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure 2 continued from Sonic Adventure, and... 06 continued from Sonic Adventure 2 and stuff, and Heroes and Shadow05 to an extent. But it's still the start of a different era the same way Adventure was the start of a new era. From what I remember, it was called 'the next generation' and some people referred to it as Sonic Next Gen or Sonic Next or something. 

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

06 is only as similar to Adventure as Adventure is to the classics. Sonic Adventure was similar to Sonic 3K, but expanded and in 3D and stuff. 06 is an evolution of the Adventure games in a similar fashion. Sonic 2 evolved from Sonic 1, Sonic 3 evolved from Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure 2 continued from Sonic Adventure, and... 06 continued from Sonic Adventure 2 and stuff, and Heroes and Shadow05 to an extent. But it's still the start of a different era the same way Adventure was the start of a new era. From what I remember, it was called 'the next generation' and some people referred to it as Sonic Next Gen or Sonic Next or something. 

Really? Classic games are 2D, 16-bit, with barely any story, focused on fighting Eggman

SA1, SA2 and 06 are 3D platformers, with voice acting, darker tones, multiple playable characters and evil monsters from the past trying to destroy the planet and usurp Eggman as main villain. Heroes and Shadow have most of those elements too.

Again, I would avoid splitting into eras, but I think it's safe to say that SA1 has more in common with 06 than classic games. The only major differences are art direction and quality of the game.

Besides if 06 was "start of a new era", then it was the shortest era ever, since future games took lighter story, drastically changed gameplay, removed most of Sonic's friend, added 2D sections and overall try to avoid eye contact with 06.

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Really? Classic games are 2D, 16-bit, with barely any story, focused on fighting Eggman

SA1, SA2 and 06 are 3D platformers, with voice acting, darker tones, multiple playable characters and evil monsters from the past trying to destroy the planet and usurp Eggman as main villain. Heroes and Shadow have most of those elements too.

Again, I would avoid splitting into eras, but I think it's safe to say that SA1 has more in common with 06 than classic games. The only major differences are art direction and quality of the game.

Besides if 06 was "start of a new era", then it was the shortest era ever, since future games took lighter story, drastically changed gameplay, removed most of Sonic's friend, added 2D sections and overall try to avoid eye contact with 06.

Sonic Adventure 1 is very similar to the classics, while of course introducing the elements commonly associated with the Dreamcast Era, which SA2 expanded upon. But SA1 itself is the closest to the Classic games. Pretty much the classic gameplay in 3D and stuff, in the case of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles.

11 hours ago, Sparky said:

Sonic Adventure 1 is very similar to the classics, while of course introducing the elements commonly associated with the Dreamcast Era, which SA2 expanded upon. But SA1 itself is the closest to the Classic games. Pretty much the classic gameplay in 3D and stuff, in the case of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles.

You keep saying that, but arguments you're giving are lacking. How much different is 06 gameplay from SA1 gameplay? In fact 06 don't have gimmicks like fishing or treasure hunting, so one could argue that gameplay wise 06 is closer to classic games.