Awoo.

New Mini Mega Drive by Funstock

molul

http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/sega-mega-drive-genesis-wireless-retro-games-console-plug-and-play

http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/sega-mega-drive-genesis-retro-games-handheld

Apparently, a "new" Mini Mega Drive (desktop and portable) will be published on October 2016. It's looks just like the AtGames mini Mega Drive. Hopefully, being now officially licensed for Sonic's 25th anniversary and published (and built?) by a different company, will mean that sound emulation won't turn Green Hill into Silent Hill.

It's funny that it includes Sonic 1, 2 and & Knuckles, but not Sonic 3. Michael Jackson ghost is still haunting.

No streets of rage, just like on my PSP Megadrive collection :(
Also, man, why can't they just use the PC soundtrack for Sonic 3 if legal rights is constantly an issue?

Still pretty cool. And I love the timing of this thing, right after the mini NES. It's like they were waiting for it.

I've always liked the aesthetic of this particular console and the controllers are actually really nice for me. They're a lot more..."mushier" than the original pads and the feel isn't to everyone's tastes but I loved using them.

The new release isn't looking like it'll be fixing much though sadly. Unless I'm forgetting any, this'll be the fourth "iteration" of this particular console. 

1) First release, included 15 built-in games and wired controllers, PAL/NTSC region switch (This was the model I had).

2) Streets of Rage Limited Edition, same console with a slightly altered game selection, controllers still wired, region switch removed for automatic region detection.

3) 80-in-1 Console, controllers now infrared wireless, includes a cartridge containing a bunch of basic homebrew games.

3.5) I think at some point this version got a quite re-release with the homebrew games built-in instead of on a cartridge

4) Sonic 25th Console

The fact that the AtGames logo and the A/V ports are still on the unit says to me this literally is just a re-release with some games switched around. It's a shame because this might get a bit more attention than it ought to because of the NES mini. The timing of this just screams that it's a reaction to the NES mini and the Sonic anniversary is a happy bit of timing for them to plaster on the box but the console's never been built to compete with the likes of the mini.

If they've worked on the insides a bit then I'll happily eat my words, and the cartridge slot is a nice point in its favour, but with all the sound/compatibility issues it's got, it's heading for trouble.

It doesn't even use the right 25th anniversary logo, it might still be terrible and still no Sonic 3. No buy from me.

Is this a real Sega-endorsed product? The 25th anniversary logo they're using doesn't convinve me.

And where the hell is Sonic 3??

I read in another article that the device doesn't support saving, so that's probably why no Sonic 3 (as far as we can observe, the music licensing issues only come into play on ports rather than emulations).

All in all seems like a quick, cheap, shameful attempt to cash in on the NES Mini with a recycled subpar product.  This is the kind of thing shitty mobile game companies do, shame.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Adamis said:

It doesn't even use the right 25th anniversary logo

6 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Is this a real Sega-endorsed product? The 25th anniversary logo they're using doesn't convinve me.

There are tons of 25th Logos that licensees can use, I know this because I have a few on my desk which have not been used on anything yet. 

11 hours ago, molul said:

It's looks just like the AtGames mini Mega Drive. Hopefully, being now officially licensed for Sonic's 25th anniversary and published (and built?) by a different company, will mean that sound emulation won't turn Green Hill into Silent Hill.

Don't count on that, theirs nothing hinting at this being nothing more then AtGames version in another package.

If this has better emulation, great. It means The Lion King won't have Rafiki literally screeching at the game over screen when you get it at a certain level.

If not...well, I still have my Super Retro Trio. That thing works wonderfully.

D'oh! Well, I have my own retro system on Android. This console is something I'd buy, play for a few days, then box it again.

I think I'm good with this baby for a while...

MegaDriveCollectionVolumeII_TVBox-uk.jpg

Only 6 games. But it's 6 games I love!

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh I'm always extremely cautious on these since the emulation is more often than not pretty shoddy, especially the sound whenever someone tries to imitate the genesis. It might not be 80 games but I usually find just ebaying or going to a local used game shop and picking up a genesis with a large handful of games to be much better and without the worry, but hey, to each their own I guess. I do appreciate that it's probably bringing these to an audience that never could have experienced them before at least.