Jump to content
Awoo.

Do you think SEGA will keep their promise with the "focus on quality"?


Guest

Recommended Posts

So as well all know from last year on SEGA started saying they wanna be good again and that they`ll be putting emphasis on being good rather than rushing things out for a holiday season of course the main aspect of it all was Sonic. SEGA doesn`t really have a good track record with Sonic games recently, the only good known games recently were Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations with the rest being either mediocre or just bad (when I say bad I`m looking at you Sonic 06 and Boom Rise of Lyric). As we all also obviously know they announced 2 brand new Sonic games at the Sonic 25th Anniversary Party event at the San Diego Comic Con which  were Sonic Mania a pretty much back to the roots games with a focus of looking like something ripped from the 90`s and a game without a title (or at least they haven`t told us the title) but so far it goes as Project Sonic 2017. From what we`ve seen so far it`s safe to say they both have a focus on quality but that`s mostly seen in Sonic Mania so far since we didn`t get any gameplay footage of Sonic 2017. But as the title of the topic says do you think SEGA will keep the promise and make Sonic great again or do you think this only applies to a few games and they`ll start giving us crap after them again. But before you reply to this please don`t start any baits or speak badly of anyone with a different that you don`t agree with. And please correct me if I was wrong anywhere it`s my first time making a forum topic like this lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is more appropriate for the Sonic Discussion subforum IMO but as for the question, yes.

I mean, the new CEO of Sega has clearly impacted the company to make sure whatever games SEGA makes will be up to the standard of the modern gaming industry. Like giving Fire & Ice a year long delay for overall polish and stuff, giving games like Mania and "Resistance" a good amount of time of development to make sure they're as good as it can be. I mean, when you really think about it since the near beginning of this series, SEGA was only ever focused on deadlines. I mean, if it weren't for deadlines we wouldn't have S3 and S&K as two different games (though the lock-on technology was a great plus because of that). I mean heck, if SEGA didn't rush Sonic Team with the development of Sonic Adventure; it wouldn't such a messy game that was going to age horribly in the future and all that jazz (though I guess it would age pretty badly either way but atleast it wouldn't be as messy as the Adventure we got). I could bring up several cases that aren't 06 and Rise of Lyric. 

So now for SEGA to say, "You know what, let's just focus on making games that are actually good instead of meeting stupid deadlines". I'd say it's only going to be a big change and a permanent one for Sonic, it's going to be for SEGA as well. And papa bless, a change like this was long overdue.

  • Thumbs Up 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for that, I thought since this was pretty much a question about the future I thought it would be a good idea to put it in the upcoming games section. I agree with you too cause not only will this benefit Sonic as one of the world`s biggest icons but SEGA will also gain profit from good games not only critically but also money wise. But if they wanna make more Sonic Boom games they REALLY have to rethink them twice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They do have something going with the gameplay for Shattered Crystal and with the small but noticeable improvements of Fire & Ice but even as someone who's the most excited to play it, the gameplay could use a good amount of changes before it can sit well with me if I want to see more of them. Also despite their recent games not being that great, Platinum Games would actually a really good choice for a Boom game, or atleast have them work with a company that can make good action platformers so we can have that good mix of high intense action and fast-paced combat Rise of Lyric would greatly benefit from while of course, retaining the tone for Boom. People might not like Boom's tone and overall feel but atleast keep it consistent throughout each Boom related media.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric could have been a decent game at least if BRB didn`t have to go trough the porting hell cause SEGA pulled out the exclusivity deal out of their ass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm taking their promise with a grain of salt. It would be nice if they could deliver, but I don't have any evidence that SEGA and Sonic Team can make good on their promise yet. For all I know, it could just be a bunch of PR bullshit, also not to mention that their definition of "quality" could differ from the fans' definition: better story, more characters, etc. So for now, I'm more or less cautiously pessimistic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Briraka said:

I'm taking their promise with a grain of salt. It would be nice if they could deliver, but I don't have any evidence that SEGA and Sonic Team can make good on their promise yet. For all I know, it could just be a bunch of PR bullshit, also not to mention that their definition of "quality" could differ from the fans' definition: better story, more characters, etc. So for now, I'm more or less cautiously pessimistic.

That may be very true also, although there is a difference between fan expectation and overall game quality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mat.W said:

That may be very true also, although there is a difference between fan expectation and overall game quality.

True, although it would be a hard sell if that while the games objectively work (as in, not being glitch-y messes), they still seem to do everything in their power to piss people off through half-hearted compromises and pandering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They did say that Sonic "might lose some fans" with the direction they`re taking it into and I think Classic Sonic has a lot to do with this for some reason.

1 minute ago, Briraka said:

True, although it would be a hard sell if that while the games objectively work (as in, not being glitch-y messes), they still seem to do everything in their power to piss people off through half-hearted compromises and pandering.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mat.W said:

They did say that Sonic "might lose some fans" with the direction they`re taking it into and I think Classic Sonic has a lot to do with this for some reason.

That's a possibility. From my point of view though, the Sonic '17 trailer has raised a couple of red flags for me. While I'm fine with a more serious Sonic, I'm worried that they're only doing it here as lipservice to the people complaining about the games' lack of seriousness and won't address the actual issue that the fans are really complaining about: the lack of narrative depth. The looming Giant Egg-Robos and the destroyed city could just be a shallow set pieces that have no real bearing on how the story turns out.

Secondly, Classic Sonic could be used like how the Wisps were in Lost World. It worked before, so Sonic Team re-uses the idea without understanding why it worked in the first place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Briraka said:

That's a possibility. From my point of view though, the Sonic '17 trailer has raised a couple of red flags for me. While I'm fine with a more serious Sonic, I'm worried that they're only doing it here as lipservice to the people complaining about the games' lack of seriousness and won't address the actual issue that the fans are really complaining about: the lack of narrative depth. The looming Giant Egg-Robos and the destroyed city could just be a shallow set pieces that have no real bearing on how the story turns out.

Secondly, Classic Sonic could be used like how the Wisps were in Lost World. It worked before, so Sonic Team re-uses the idea without understanding why it worked in the first place.

I dunno, Wisps were shoehorned into the game to have a gimmick to use with the wii u gamepad. Classic Sonic seems to have a major part in the story. It doesn`t seem like he`s there to ride the Generations train either considering the tone of the game. But I dunno I`m just saying what I`m thinking I`m most likely wrong anyways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mat.W said:

I dunno, Wisps were shoehorned into the game to have a gimmick to use with the wii u gamepad. Classic Sonic seems to have a major part in the story. It doesn`t seem like he`s there to ride the Generations train either considering the tone of the game. But I dunno I`m just saying what I`m thinking I`m most likely wrong anyways.

At this point, we're merely just speculating. We don't even know how the game will play and how Classic will fit into it. You have your reasons for looking forward to it and I have my reasons for being cautious. It could go either way, and I hope that when more is revealed that I could be wrong in my pessimistic impressions up to that point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Briraka said:

At this point, we're merely just speculating. We don't even know how the game will play and how Classic will fit into it. You have your reasons for looking forward to it and I have my reasons for being cautious. It could go either way, and I hope that when more is revealed that I could be wrong in my pessimistic impressions up to that point.

I just want good Sonic games, I`m pretty sure all of us here do. But apparently that`s wayyy too much to ask for unfortunately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Mat.W said:

I just want good Sonic games, I`m pretty sure all of us here do. But apparently that`s wayyy too much to ask for unfortunately.

Hey man, if you want to feel hopeful about upcoming games then go ahead. Don't let other people expressing negativity be a deterrent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Briraka said:

Hey man, if you want to feel hopeful about upcoming games then go ahead. Don't let other people expressing negativity be a deterrent.

the only thing that stops me from it are SEGA themselves lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whether Sonic "Resistance" turns out good is a bit independent of whether SEGA is actually focusing on quality. Certainly, failing to focus on quality guarantees mediocrity, but focusing on quality in and of itself isn't quite enough to gaurantee a quality game. 

It certainly appears that ST are focused on quality and "getting it right" this time around. The ~5 years they've been working on it is a testament to that. I can't say I'm confident it will be an excellent game, but if Sonic Unleashed's final product after its 2-year development cycle is anything to go by, "Resistance" ought to be a pretty beefy game. 

I'm predicting a 60-dollar price tag. From a business standpoint, they appear to be putting all their cards on the table. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, VolatileMike said:

Whether Sonic "Resistance" turns out good is a bit independent of whether SEGA is actually focusing on quality. Certainly, failing to focus on quality guarantees mediocrity, but focusing on quality in and of itself isn't quite enough to gaurantee a quality game. 

It certainly appears that ST are focused on quality and "getting it right" this time around. The ~5 years they've been working on it is a testament to that. I can't say I'm confident it will be an excellent game, but if Sonic Unleashed's final product after its 2-year development cycle is anything to go by, "Resistance" ought to be a pretty beefy game. 

I'm predicting a 60-dollar price tag. From a business standpoint, they appear to be putting all their cards on the table. 

good thing it`s coming to PC hehe..hehehe..he.. (I`m kidding)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No.


...That's all I've got. I'd love to type out a an elaborate post as to why, but by this point its honestly boiled down to my lack of faith in the series due to all of the mediocre, overhyped products we've received over the past decade or so. I won't believe that anything is worth playing until I actually start reading positive things about the games post launch.  It's more of a "prove me wrong" thing, really. All I know is that I won't be dropping full price on launch day for the vast majority of Sonic titles anymore, save for Mania which I'm sure is almost guaranteed to be fantastic due to the reputation of the people behind it (Stealth/Taxman/former S2HD members).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's already evidence of this; you just have to realise SEGA make games that aren't Sonic.

7th Dragon has released to generally positive reviews, and then there was Project DIVA: Future Tone; a game bursting with a ridiculous amount of content and also releasing to solid reviews. Project DIVA X, whilst I'm not fond of what I've played, was also met with solid reviews. Same goes for Yakuza 5 and last year's Miku: Project Mirai DX. Even something as simple as a compilation, SEGA 3D Classics Collection, was met with praise due to M2's superb work in the field.

So I'd say SEGA needs to maintain the promise, not that it remains to be seen. Given Sonic's their mascot, I think it stands to reason they'll want their recent standards to apply to him too. 

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tracker said:

There's already evidence of this; you just have to realise SEGA make games that aren't Sonic.

7th Dragon has released to generally positive reviews, and then there was Project DIVA: Future Tone; a game bursting with a ridiculous amount of content and also releasing to solid reviews. Project DIVA X, whilst I'm not fond of what I've played, was also met with solid reviews. Same goes for Yakuza 5 and last year's Miku: Project Mirai DX. Even something as simple as a compilation, SEGA 3D Classics Collection, was met with praise due to M2's superb work in the field.

So I'd say SEGA needs to maintain the promise, not that it remains to be seen. Given Sonic's their mascot, I think it stands to reason they'll want their recent standards to apply to him too. 

But this is "Sonic" stadium so I assumed..you know

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sega's produced good games all the while releasing shitty Sonic titles for years, so going "SEGA makes other good non-Sonic games, so they'll keep their promise" makes little to no sense. Especially when different teams are making other SEGA games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Sega's produced good games all the while releasing shitty Sonic titles for years, so going "SEGA makes other good non-Sonic games, so they'll keep their promise" makes little to no sense. Especially when different teams are making other SEGA games.

SEGA's statement to re-commit to quality came last year, after Boom and the like. Sonic 2017 is the first title being released under this re-focus; it's not unreasonable at all to assume the quality we've seen from other titles will be met here.

Even then, the last three in-house Sonic games ranged from mediocre to fantastic; so that's a weak argument anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To assume it won't be as bad as Boom isn't saying much. It can range from mediocre to great yeah, but if we have to settle with a expectation of mediocrity and treat it as a positive, well, that's a bit sad. 

 

Also so while it's not unreasonable to think it could be good, it's not unreasonable to be skeptical or not trust SEGA until the thing is in our hands either. Sorry we don't trust a big time publisher with tons of shit under its belt regarding the franchise to deliver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, KHCast said:

To assume it won't be as bad as Boom isn't saying much. It can range from mediocre to great yeah, but if we have to settle with a expectation of mediocrity and treat it as a positive, well, that's a bit sad. 

 

Also so while it's not unreasonable to think it could be good, it's not unreasonable to be skeptical or not trust SEGA until the thing is in our hands either. Sorry we don't trust a big time publisher with tons of shit under its belt regarding the franchise to deliver.

Sonic 2017 has been pushed as "the people that made Colours and Generations", which were particularly well-received. Even then, consider out of the last 3 mainline Sonic games, Colours and Generations are considered great and LW mediocre. 2/3 isn't too shabby. Hell, plenty of people like Unleashed a fair bit too nowadays. 

The bulk of Sonic Team's "shit" was like, a decade ago now; I think it's time to let that go. 

  • Thumbs Up 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that recent events indicate that SEGA kept or will at least, try to keep their word regarding quality with Sonic games. I mean, they are more then willing to push back major titles if Sonic '17 means anything, as that is missing the anniversary. It is a Winter 2017 game as well, so its the longest time we have from an announcement point too a release date in quite a long time for the Sonic series. 

I said this in many places but I honestly feel the happiest I've ever felt toward the Sonic series since 2012's Racing Transformed; everything they have been saying since the start of 2016 has been making me smile with confidence that 'They understand....' with Sonic Mania being one of the biggest examples of that. They know people want a new Classic Sonic game, so what do you do? Go to the fans that have been making fan games/sonic hacks for years to make an official Sonic the Hedgehog title. That is NUTS, to put it mildly and while I personally wanted that since playing Sonic Before the Sequel, it still shocks me Mania is even a thing. 

That alone tells me SEGA is trying hard to ensure the series falls into the right hands and developers, making me hopeful for things like Fire & Ice, Mania & Sonic 2017. Hopeful they keep their world, but really feel confident they will keep that going forward. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.