Awoo.

Apathy for Classic Sonic games?

VolatileMike

I've gotta be honest: I really don't care much about Classic Sonic. It sounds harsh, but I need to be honest here. Anyone else feel this way?

Let me clarify that I do have tons of respect for that era, but when I think of Sonic, it doesn't really enter my mind right away. My preference for the 3D games couldn't have been fostered by objective quality, because nothing until Generations ever matched the classics. When that came out, I'd been playing 3D Sonic games for 10 years. 

I suppose my preference really is a testament to the power of nostalgia and brand association. There's no real reason to prefer okay-tier handhelds like Sonic Rivals over gaming art like Sonic 3, but I find myself doing just that. Completely weird, but completely true. 

Again, though, can anyone relate to this feeling?

• Thumbs Up 1

Same. I hate the classic games, yet I have a ton of respect for them. They are good games and loved by many and I will always respect that because those games are what made Sonic who he is. But having started with the modern games, I find them to be tedious at their core. True, I am spoiled by the boost and the extra perks Sonic has and such....but even without the boost I find games like Adventure 2 to be much more enjoyable to me than Sonic 3 and Knuckles. I find Sonic 4 to be the most enjoyable of the classics and I am a huge huge fan of Sonic 4 having started with that game in 2D.

So to answer your question, no I do not care about classic Sonic and it's gameplay. Unless they had a way to add more abilities like in Generations when Classic had a homing attack or others, then I don't think I'm going to enjoy it.

Not really? And I prefer modern Sonic.

Tho in my case, it's probably because my favorite Sonic game is from the Classic era, so I'm a lot more flexible and tolerant over the styles and eras. Heck, I don't even thing Generations or any Sonic game since has matched S3&K at least for me.

I don't hate Classic sonic games but I'm not so attached to them. To be fair, it probably might have to do me not growing up with the classics and having no nostalgia for them.

That also doesn't mean I think they're bad games. I think they're fun games, with Sonic 3 being my favorite. 

Him showing up in stuff isn't as exciting nowadays because he's been in almost every major Sonic release outside of Sonic Boom, since Sonic Generations. The only one he's missed is Lost World. And managed to get into an older release with him being in Sonic Dash now, too.

That being said, if every Sonic game had Classic Sonic as an unlockable skin/character or something, I'd totally be down with that. It may not be as exciting to have him in something as it was in Generations, but I do like Classic Sonic as much as Modern Sonic so I like having him there as an option. They do need to stop using him as the centerpiece after Project 2017 though, or else people will start calling him "SEGA's Lightning".

I have no issues with Classic Sonic.  Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles remain enjoyable to this day to me. 

My favourite game is S3&K, but I have no particular attachment to Classic Sonic; to me, he's barely more than one design of a single character, and the modern Classic Sonic isn't even that good a representation of the actual classic Sonic anyway.

Edit: Just realised that there's a huge ambiguity here over whether we're talking about "Classic Sonic [games]," or "Classic Sonic [the character]"...

• Thumbs Up 3

I grew up playing the games in order. I love all the games. But I don't care to see classic sonic anymore. To me he's the past and we should be moving forward, instead of using him as a nostalgia cash in. But I am pleased with Sonic Mania, I'm interested in the game, seems like Sega has found a way to keep classic and modern fans pleased. I don't want him in the modern game though. Modern should be able to stand on its own without relying on classic to create hype. I admit that my initial reaction to Sonic Mania watching the event was more disappointed that excited, but still interested. I was excited when I saw Project 2017, but then classics appearance felt like a disappointment. 

1 hour ago, ChikoLad said:

They do need to stop using him as the centerpiece after Project 2017 though, or else people will start calling him "SEGA's Lightning".

I could see portions of the Sonic fanbase complaining about the overabundance of classic Sonic (I mean, it's already happening now to an extent), but I doubt the general public will ever really complain about classic Sonic's presence. Hell, if Sega eventually just phased out modern Sonic and utilized classic-esque designs for everyone I'd imagine that the general reception would probably be the exact opposite of when the Boom designs were revealed, where the only people having real problems with it being members of the fanbase itself.

But to answer OP's question, I guess I can't really relate. The Sonic games I grew up with were more of the Genesis-to-Saturn variety, with the character designs and general aesthetic that came with them being one of the main reasons I became a fan of the franchise in the first place, so seeing Sega for the past few years try to align the series' visual identity with that of the early days is a bit of a dream come true for me.

And while I feel ecstatic that something like Mania actually exists, I do have some mixed feelings on classic Sonic's presence in Project 2017. Though I'm going to wait until Sega reveals more on how he's being utilized and why before deciding on if it was a bad idea or not.    

I prefer the Classic Sonic design, but the art design is not at all important to me.

I like something like Sonic Mania because, to me, that is what Sonic really is. That is Classic Sonic.

Sonic 4 would still suck if it had Classic Sonic in it.

I think they should rename him Young Sonic or Kid Sonic or Fat Sonic or Black Eyed Sonic or something because if he's in everything now there's nothing inherently classic about him. 

I personally think classic is the best design, but I certainly get no inherent thrill out of him and Modern running alongside each other. Seeing Sonic Mania, a game with classic gameplay, classic sounding music and classic aesthetic, was great. Seeing Classic show up in the 2017 trailer? I think a lot of us are pretty apathetic to negative on that one. I myself don't see a need for two Sonics, I would rather they just made it about classic, made it about modern, or made a new Sonic to go forward with. I don't want meta nostalgia pandering to be a staple of this series, and I want Sonic to stand on his own two feet, not be held up by his younger feet.

• Thumbs Up 5

I just think it is generally weird to have two Sonics. It's like having two Marios and two Links. 

It worked in Generations, but I can't say I'm thrilled to have it in a mainstray game. Hardly bothers me, but, it's very weird. 

I'm more annoyed but the prevalence of Sonic's classic design alongside his current incarnation, especially with how classic Sonic exclusively represents the Genesis styled games now, as if modern Sonic doesn't also represent those games. It undermines Sonic as he is now, as if saying he's incompatible with the Genesis gameplay, as if the design is what makes the classics what they are. It also further validates people who complain about Sonic's modern design by further disassociating Sonic with his roots.

It's like instead of trying to unify the vastly different styles, they instead test him like two different characters. Classic Sonic needs to go so that SONIC can represent the entirety of his series.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Rusty Spy said:

It's like instead of trying to unify the vastly different styles, they instead test him like two different characters. Classic Sonic needs to go so that SONIC can represent the entirety of his series.

I'm fine with Classic Sonic staying as long as he stays in the Classic games like Mania. Honestly, Modern Sonic is a bit tall and weird for a 2D space, his running animation looks a bit dorky, even in S4: E2. Classic Sonic suits the gameplay more.

But he needs to stay in 2D.

Ideally I would like to see Classic Sonic in the Classic games and Modern Sonic in the 3D titles. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Mel said:

I just think it is generally weird to have two Sonics. It's like having two Marios and two Links

It worked in Generations, but I can't say I'm thrilled to have it in a mainstray game. Hardly bothers me, but, it's very weird. 

Yeah, about that...

d1842dafd70f988f5fb0857f4427fae0.png

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, ChikoLad said:

Yeah, about that...

I meant in a normal Zelda game, like if Zelda 2017 had two Links running around.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Mel said:

I meant in a normal Zelda game, like if Zelda 2017 had two Links running around.

.....About that...

1 minute ago, ChikoLad said:

.....About that...

That's a secret unlockable, as if you put a Classic Sonic amiibo and got him as a buddy in Lost World. This is not remotely similar to this.

Like holy fuck dude, you know what I mean, why are you being deliberately difficult about this xD

Just now, Mel said:

That's a secret unlockable, as if you put a Classic Sonic amiibo and got him as a buddy in Lost World.

Like holy fuck dude, you know what I mean, why are you being deliberately difficult about this xD

It's not a secret when it's been advertised and shown off in-depth, not to mention it just requires you to buy a figure to use it. Aonuma has also said there is story significance to Wolf Link being able to show up in Breath of the Wild.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, ChikoLad said:

It's not a secret when it's been advertised and shown off in-depth, not to mention it just requires you to buy a figure to use it. Aonuma has also said there is story significance to Wolf Link being able to show up in Breath of the Wild.

But it's not a significant aspect of the story as its not in the base game. It's a lock on secret.

You know what, you know what I mean, and you are just trying to wind me up :P 

So, yeah xD

Just now, Mel said:

But it's not a significant aspect of the story as its not in the base game. It's a lock on secret.

You know what, you know what I mean, and you are just trying to wind me up :P 

So, yeah xD

Well we don't know if it's a significant aspect of the story yet. The game isn't out yet.

I'm not being difficult or trying to wind you up. There is little difference between Wolf Link showing up in BotW and Classic Sonic in Project 2017.

This also isn't the only Zelda game with two Links at once. In particular...

Spoiler

Ravio is the Link of Lorule in Link Between Worlds.

120px-RavioUnmaskedALBW.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't personally relate to the feeling, as I prefer the classic side of Sonic in most aspects (while still liking a lot of modern stuff too), but I certainly don't think it's a strange way to feel at all. How much something appeals to a person is affected by a lot of factors other than sheer "quality", such as their personal preferences - what appeals to them on an individual level - as well as their personal history with that thing. You're certainly not the only one who prefers modern Sonic to classic, anyway; it's not the most popular opinion, but it's not nearly as close to unheard of as you may assume. I know for a fact there are a fair few on this board who prefer modern Sonic.

I have to say though, I honestly despise Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic being seen as two different characters. They're just two different character designs for a single character - heck, they're not even very different designs. I really hate how divided the Sonic fandom is and there's no need to "validate" it with the utterly ridiculous notion that the series practically "changed main characters" when Sonic Adventure happened. It's just so dumb when, as characters, in terms of design, personality, anything, Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic are really very similar. Certainly more similar than the various different versions of Superman, Batman, and many other comic book and cartoon characters.

Instead of separating out the classic version of Sonic from the modern, how about just trying to epitomize the best aspects of all eras in a single Sonic? As a fan of classic stuff, I would far prefer that. I want "Sonic" as a whole to thrive. Stuff like Mania is cool and all, and in fact I would be perfectly happy for games like that to be continued to be made! But continuing to establish Classic Sonic as a separate entity in the main series - no thanks. Sonic is just Sonic as far as I'm concerned, regardless of his spike length or eye color. All this is doing is making it feel like the modern version Sonic doesn't symbolize the entire series, just the games with his current design. And I don't see how that's supposed to do any good.

• Thumbs Up 7