Awoo.

Sonic 2 not working on Sega Game Gear

SonicFan1989

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but I recently got my had on a Sega Game Gear with Sonic 2 but the backlight is very dim and there is no sound coming from the unit. I was super excited when I got it and started making an unboxing video but had to cut it short because of the problem. Has anyone seen this issue with a game gear before?

If anyone is interested the video is here:

This is incredibly common, I'm afraid; the Game Gear is known for being failure-prone. It's to do with the capacitors, if I recall.

I have two of the things, and neither work properly; all I can recommend is find a service that can fix it (I think friends have had some luck on eBay, but I'd ask around). 

• Thumbs Up 3

Sadly it is a very common problem with the Game Gear on what you mentioned and it means that it is failing, then soon enough stop working all together. Its all down to the capacitors that Sega used, they were cheap/dodgy, leak and even new units won't work anymore. It wasn't just the Game Gear that has this problem but also many electrical devices from the 90s suffer from this problem. The only thing that I can think of is get it repaired either by yourself with a kit or get someone else to do it for you.

I have a Game Gear and it was working when I was younger but now no longer works. I don't have the skills to fix it or know anyone who can.

Also, while this is specific to the Game Gear and the shitty caps that Sega put in it (NEC had a bad batch around the same time that kills a lot of PC Engines and Turboduos, and it plagues the Sega CD Model II as well), bad caps are a good starting place to look for any older electronics not working correctly.

7 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

I have a Game Gear and it was working when I was younger but now no longer works. I don't have the skills to fix it or know anyone who can.

Any computer or TV repair shop should be able to do it. Failing that, any independent shop that sells and services high end audio equipment would definitely be able to handle it.