Awoo.

Sonic and his death ray eyes

Badnik Mechanic

w8tdtv.jpg

This is the kind of crap that happens when I leave you boys alone for 5 minutes

Thats pretty Errie BTW. Reminds me of

Christine640.jpg

But as one of the main contributors to the Gumball Brigade's short Reign, I gotta say,

that is freakin BADASS

Edited by Stuart Twentythree

Here I am! I remember this commercial, it's funny, knowing the actor, Jerry Cal

Ahh, I'd love one of these! I'd totally go after one if I saw one on ebay! It looks pretty awesome, and unique. Maybe its eyes have hypnotized me into wanting one. o.o

• 7 months later...

Damn, that's one scary badge. I mean it does remind me of the eyes of Hypnotoad, and if it could it would melt steel. But now I really want to try to track this down on ebay somehow.

• 3 years later...

BUMP!

Well... the mystery of this thing might finally be solved.

Since 2009 when I first found this video, a bunch of things have happened... several of the badges have been bought by members of SSMB (which still work!)

But more crucially, as of yesterday, a video showing the competition has been uploaded to youtube!

It seems that the reason you needed the badges was that during the show a signal was transmitted through the TV which 'activated' the badge, if the pin flashed/made a noise you had to ring the number shown during the show and claim your prize.

Managed to collect as much info on this as I can and I've done a new 'The Vault' article on TSS. Also, very special thanks to Luck for filming this for me too.

I managed to get one of these in December 2011, amazingly it still had the original battery inside and worked! I had to replace the battery after trying it out once, but it still works and the box was in good condition too.

If anyone here does speak Italian, any translation of the TV show would be very welcomed.

• Thumbs Up 5

First things first, that's not a pink rabbit. His name is Uan, a dog, and it was part of my childhood.

Ok, then.

-The hosts are surprised when Uan tells them that the Game Gear displays colors. Go figure.

- At 0:41 the female host says that she got to the last level of the game, while Marble Zone is shown. Yeah, right.

- She says that the graphics of the game are marvelous.

- 0:49 "You can't resist Sega Mega Drive and Sonic's likableness"

- Yeah, they are just saying "Sega Megadrive is great, Sega Megadrive is awesome, yadda yadda"

- Ok, the thing you are interested in starts at 1:35: With the Megadrive and Sonic 1 you also get the Sonic Badge. It comes with a coupon The same thing applies to the Master System, the Game Gear, the TVTuner , or when you buy 3 games at the same time.

- The badge could activate whenever you' re watching "Bim Bum Bam" (the show that aired during the afternoon) or "Ciao Ciao Mattina" (this one aired in the morning), If the thing turned  on, you had to call the number. The prizes are Sega consoles and a bajillion of games.

- See the coupon Uan has at 3: 04?  Who cares if the badge doesn't turn on? Quick, grab onto your DeLorean, you have time until the fifteen of january, 1993! Send it to "Giochi Preziosi! You could win either a Mega CD or a "Canta Tu", some kind of karaoke machine!

- 2:28, the demonstration of how the badge works begins here.

- No, they don't really say how the blasted thing works. They just mention some kind of impulse, but they don't specify anything.

- 3: 24, they start talking about the Game Gear, the first handheld game console with COLORS, wow.

- 4: 34, this is the real thing. The impulse is transmitted. Did you won?

So, yeah. You were right about pretty much everything.

Edited by Nald From Never Lake
  • Thumbs Up 6

someone should edit sonic into one of those farcy 3 blooddragon pics as a blood dragon XD or mod him in.... hmmmm

This is all well and good, but how did they know your badge had gone off if you rung up? Unless they had a frequency for each individual badge or batch of badges and knew exactly what serial number badge they had set off. What's stopping you from ringing and saying "Wow my badge is going nuts" but you just have it turned on rather than on TV mode.

The idea of the badge going off becauseof the tv is actually a pretty cool idea, never seen anything else like this.

This is all well and good, but how did they know your badge had gone off if you rung up? Unless they had a frequency for each individual badge or batch of badges and knew exactly what serial number badge they had set off. What's stopping you from ringing and saying "Wow my badge is going nuts" but you just have it turned on rather than on TV mode.

Yes, this makes me wonder... wouldn't be surprised if every badge went off. Diabolical!

With regards to the eyes themselves... well. Sonic.exe might have some competition. Double points since this is an official thing.

All in all, context is for the weak. I'm gonna nab that for a Skype avatar or something to see what sorts of reactions I get.