Awoo.

Scott Fulop VS Archie, New Lawsuit for a New Year

therealfalconpawnch77

8 minutes ago, Soniman said:

It makes me so angry just thinking about it, Fulop hasn't worked on the book in 20 years and now he's looking for compensation after he saw how Jen made out like a bandit. It just feels so disingenuous like he probably wouldn't have cared if he didn't see Ken pill it off first and doesn't give a shit about the creators or readers behind the current comic and wants to screw everyone over even more like Ughhhh.

I'm sorry but just reading this makes me so made I think I legit hate this person more then Ken because at least Ken was passionate about his shitty characters, Scott just screams wanting to make an easy buck 

I mean we can make assumptions about Scott's intent all we want.

That doesn't change the fact SEGA/Archie literally broke copyright laws.

Doesn't matter if it was a year after he left or 20 years. He is entitled to compensation whenever his characters are used, and they can't be used without his consent.

It's literally no different than if SEGA/Archie featured Mario in the Sonic comics as a major character, without asking permission or offering compensation to Nintendo.

This is really not good. I want to invest in all the classic comics digitally. Now I know the clock is ticking if its a worse case scenario, and I can't buy the old comics anymore.

I'm going to avoid making any assumptions about the possible results of this case, Fulop's motives, or anything else until we get more info. I'm not about to drive myself crazy for no reason, in case it turns out to not have serious consequences.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I'm going to avoid making any assumptions about the possible results of this case, Fulop's motives, or anything else until we get more info. I'm not about to drive myself crazy for no reason, in case it turns out to not have serious consequences.

Same, I'm just chilling on this thread waiting for new info to arise.

Man, was Archie really doing that much shady business during the 90s? I'd love to read an insider history on that.

All I'm saying is I'm glad I completed my pre-reboot digital collection when I did. Bet it won't be long before Archie locks all of those pre-reboot books away forever in fear of any additional legal repercussions.

This better not cause Mega Drive : The Next Level to be canned is all I can say. That first issue was pure gold.

Now that people bring it up, I do recall Penders ranting and raving on Twitter that if Archie lost the licence to another company, let's say IDW, that he would persue them and offer his characters/stories etc for a price so they could do reprints and new comics with his content. Perhaps this thing with Scott is the next step in that plan.

IF that was to happen, and it's a pretty big if, I would like to think IDW would turn him down, not only due to their contract to Sega, but doing research and finding out people seem to be enjoying the new direction the comics are heading with Ian at the helm.

Reprinting another company's comics would be a mess of legal permissions; I can't imagine IDW would be willing to go through that, even if they wanted to, which I kind of doubt.  If IDW were to pick up the Sonic comic license, even if they brought over the entire creative team from Archie, I have a hard time believing they would approach it as anything but a full reboot, or rather, a completely separate series entirely.  Of course, that's assuming that Sega would even want to license another Sonic comic, if Archie had brought them so much trouble.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

All I'm saying is I'm glad I completed my pre-reboot digital collection when I did. Bet it won't be long before Archie locks all of those pre-reboot books away forever in fear of any additional legal repercussions.

That's likely for the best.

The old continuity has been nothing but trouble

4 hours ago, FFWF said:

Reprinting another company's comics would be a mess of legal permissions; I can't imagine IDW would be willing to go through that, even if they wanted to, which I kind of doubt.  If IDW were to pick up the Sonic comic license, even if they brought over the entire creative team from Archie, I have a hard time believing they would approach it as anything but a full reboot, or rather, a completely separate series entirely.  Of course, that's assuming that Sega would even want to license another Sonic comic, if Archie had brought them so much trouble.

Hmm....I honestly don't mind a full reboot if that were to happen, assuming Sega would allow the comic to continue or not.

4 hours ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

That's likely for the best.

The old continuity has been nothing but trouble

Hmm....I honestly don't mind a full reboot if that were to happen, assuming Sega would allow the comic to continue or not.

I feel like a full reboot would be better anyways, considering it makes the comics easier to get into without having to tell people where a good starting point is even though the fact that you didn't read through heaps of garbage means you still don't fully understand how the world or it characters are shaped. As long as Ian Flynn is on board I'd have no issues. Just make sure Ron Lim isn't doing the art for Christ sake.

Ron_Lim_Bear_Ears.png

What the fuck is this?