Awoo.

Quake Champions, PC (2017) - Now Entering Early Access on Steam

Polkadi~☆

A return to classic fragging mayhem, in good ol' id Software fashion! BEHOLD THE ROCKET JUMPS!

Quake Champions is a new entry in the Quake series, known best for Quake III: Arena, though it's other games are just as good. This is a purely multiplayer game, where you can play across a variety of modes with a variety of characters. No loadouts, high skill ceiling, and a hell of a lot of fun. Of course, you don't need to be highly skilled to have fun, either. Promising PC only, unlocked framerates, 120hz by default and e-sports potential, this is definitely built for PC play.

There are a wide range of characters to play as, all with their own abilities. We have veterans like Ranger, Visor, Sorlag, Slash and Anarki coming back, and newcomers like Nyx, Clutch, Galena, Scalebearer and more. More characters will be revealed over the coming days.

Closed Beta signups open.

https://quake.bethesda.net/

Honestly, this looks exciting. Though the abilities worry me, especially since Quake has never had this beforehand, it's quite promising. And I've been craving arena games for a while, now. Knowing the game is in good hands at id Software, I'm sure it'll fulfill that crave. Also, Wolfenstein, DOOM, and now this? Commander Keen remake confirmed.

What do you guys think?

I've been playing all kinds of different AFPS since my clan died on Q3 in 2012. I'm glad that they are finally making another game. Abilities do worry me still. But as long as they balance it right we could be getting a great game. It's definitely not going to be the Overwatch clone people are crying about. This game is being balanced to handle FFA and Duel which Overwatch can't even dream of due to its rock paper scissor characters. 

I'm interested to see how they handle the abilities deal. I think it could be an interesting concept if they scattered energy across the map to fill a skill bar or something. It would add another element to item control. It would be quite fun to see people going ape shit on each other over energy that just spawned near them.

Also I'm not happy about Visor's wall hack. But it could still be redeemed based on how they handle abilities.

And why did they have low level players make frag movies for the trailer when they said they've had Quake Live Pros testing the game?

Isn't there already a Quake Champions topic? I'm sure there is. Either way, the opening post in this one is miles better.

But gutted isn't even the word when this was announced a few months back. But seeing that it's not a single player campaign involving the Strogg (Quake 2/Quake 4) or a Gothic Dark singleplayer shooter with some multiplayer (Quake) I feel as if I'm not missing much.

Just wake me up when there's a Quake game with a campaign! 

Just now, Scott said:

Isn't there already a Quake Champions topic? I'm sure there is. Either way, the opening post in this one is miles better.

But gutted isn't even the word when this was announced a few months back. But seeing that it's not a single player campaign involving the Strogg (Quake 2/Quake 4) or a Gothic Dark singleplayer shooter with some multiplayer (Quake) I feel as if I'm not missing much.

By the way things sound. I think they may make a single player game. Machine Games (Wolfenstein New Order) has interest in making one, and released an Quake 1 episode 5 for Quake's 20th birthday. Tim Willits made it seem like they may have interest making another Quake single player, John Carmack also expressed interest before leaving. I think they're just focusing the esports Quake 3 crowd right now. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Quake 1 Lovecraftian singleplayer in the next few years. I'd be happy with either. I don't think Strogg will come back though, not that I would want it to.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5 August 2016 at 5:38 PM, Scott said:

Just searched it up, yes, there is already a Quake Champions topic. And yes, the opening post here is miles better.

On 5 August 2016 at 5:38 PM, Scott said:

Ooh, I believe MachineGames are up to something...

• Thumbs Up 2

The game had a behind doors presentation at QuakeCon for attendees to play.

I'm gonna guess no one went to QuakeCon, did they?

Nope :P I'd like to go to Quake Con though at some point in my life. But that would also require a flight to Texas!

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone want some leaked footage? Get 'em while they're hot!

There are a lot out there, even one with four minutes of gameplay that I forgot to bookmark

So far, the complaints look... Justified. It looks way too much like Overwatch, all the way down to the HUD. And all the characters have set health, something that (in my opinion) should not be in Quake.

I am not looking forward to this if it stays this way.

• 5 months later...

Going to PAX East? The game will be available to the public to play, for the first time! Just go over to wherever Bethesda put their booth.

Closed Beta signups open on the same week.

Wolfenstein, DOOM, now Quake? What year is this?! What's next, Serious Sam? Unreal Tournament? Quake Arena was lit, this looks great. Too bad my PC won't run it :/

The game is said to be designed so that you can run it and play it, even on the lowest settings. Besides, AFPS games have always been gameplay over graphics.

Also, there is a new Unreal Tournament, and it's free. Go wild.

• 2 weeks later...

Gameplay for Nyx is up.

Her ability is basically Phase Shift from Titanfall 2, except she can see her enemies.

Scalebearer comes on the 15th.

The ever so classic Camping Grounds (or Campgrounds, or Q3DM6) is getting reimagined as a new map in Champions, and here is a tour!

Welcome to the Blood Covenant, combatant.

id has finally decided on a business model for Quake Champions. It'll be a free-to-play game, with an option to buy the Champions Pack for the full experience. Here are the details:

• For F2P players, the only indefinite Champion available is Ranger (the player character from Quake 1, remember?).
  • Other Champions can be unlocked for a limited time (we don't know how long) through the in-game currency, favor (you don't pay any money for favor, don't worry).
  • Favor will be easy to earn, and it can also be used to buy backpacks, which allow access to rune challenges; conquering these will give you reliquaries, which can be opened for new Champions and skins.
  • If you want to, you can buy the Champions Pack to get unlimited access to every Champion, current and future.
  • F2P and premium players will share maps, compete in the same brackets, and be on an even playing field. The way you gain the ability to play as other Champions is the only difference.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Heeere's Scalebearer!

Smashing people with his charge, and goomba stomping, too!

Anarki up next.

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I just want another Quake like the original. With Trent Reznor behind the sound direction of course.

MachineGames might be doing something related to Quake, but I'd assume they're busy with Wolfenstein: The New Colossus right now.

4 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I just want another Quake like the original. With Trent Reznor behind the sound direction of course.

That's funny, I was JUST wondering how Quake made the jump from "gothic Lovecraft influences" to "army vs cyborg frankenstein race". It's like Quake 1 and 2 have literally nothing in common with each other besides a few superficially similar staple weapons, and to be honest I really hate that they stuck with the latter for most games after that point.

Well, Champions aims to be mainly Lovecraftian, but with a touch of the whole Strogg thing.

It works, so far.

I would like another purely singleplayer, purely Lovecraftian Quake some day. Even a HD remake of the first game would suffice.

18 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

That's funny, I was JUST wondering how Quake made the jump from "gothic Lovecraft influences" to "army vs cyborg frankenstein race". It's like Quake 1 and 2 have literally nothing in common with each other besides a few superficially similar staple weapons, and to be honest I really hate that they stuck with the latter for most games after that point.

Yeah, because the latter just came off as really generic, and devoid of the atmosphere of the former. The original Quake just has this atmosphere that's absolutely palpable from the moment you play the opening level. I blame Romero leaving, Romero and Carmack just absolutely needed each other whether they like to admit it or not.

• 2 weeks later...

You wanted pure, unscripted gameplay footage?

You've got it. Watch id's ZeRo4 tear through the competition as Anarki at speeds only Quake can deliver.

On 05/04/2017 at 7:02 AM, SonicWind said:

You wanted pure, unscripted gameplay footage?

You've got it. Watch id's ZeRo4 tear through the competition as Anarki at speeds only Quake can deliver.

Actually, ZeRo4 is a professional Quake player. Everyone else (like 'sponge') is id's own players.