Awoo.

Yuji Naka and Naoto Oshima on Sonic & Mario action game

Ajavalo

It would be cool, Although I can`t imagine them doing both gameplay styles justice so it would probably be a fighting game or something.

I'll forever argue that Banjo-Kazooie/Yooka-Laylee is the key to making this idea work, because you're forced to think about what is effectively one entity and how it would handle obstacles and enemies from each respective series instead of two separate ones with disparate abilities that either don't match up at all or align with each other too much. It invites more strategic platforming and justifies even having the two characters in the same game in the first place.

Have the Mario half as the default Banjo where he deals more with more methodical platforming, static/slow enemies, and more binary jumping obstacles, and the Sonic half as the activated Kazooie where he allows you to run, perform long jumps, and get higher with the Homing Attack or LW's wall-running stuff. Allow switching to Sonic to be performed with a trigger button. For shared abilities between them like the wall jump, just have the animations alternate between the characters to have the visualization of team work. Keep power ups character-specific (or don't; whichever works best). Give it to Nintendo EAD or Playtonic and there you have it.

• Thumbs Up 7

I have wanted nothing more than to see an honest to god platformer starring these two. An ideal story mode for me would have at least four stories

1. Mario and Sonic (duh)

2. Tails and Luigi

3. Knuckles and Blue Toad or Donkey Kong

4. Peach and Amy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess a Mario & Sonic action game could be fun. *Imagines Mario racing through SLW tube stages*

I didn't hear anything about this at Summer of Sonic. Iizuka did say he loves making Sonic games and wants to keep making them.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, BenderMania said:

I guess a Mario & Sonic action game could be fun. *Imagines Mario racing through SLW tube stages*

I didn't hear anything about this at Summer of Sonic. Iizuka did say he loves making Sonic games and wants to keep making them.

He said that? That`s great news, then when he decides to retire he`ll put the franchise in the right hands.

Looking forward to what this brings, as I would be interested in Naka working on the series again :). 

Anyway, I think SEGA and Nintendo would use either the Generations set up (Mario & Sonic unique playstyles) or something like Lost World but more refined to work for both Mario & Sonic. 

Also, sick and tired of the revisionary history on places like NeoGaf which completely discredit the series and say it was never good.......just tired of the that mindset happening this year toward the series. 

11 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

I'll forever argue that Banjo-Kazooie/Yooka-Laylee is the key to making this idea work, because you're forced to think about what is effectively one entity and how it would handle obstacles and enemies from each respective series instead of two separate ones with disparate abilities that either don't match up at all or align with each other too much. It invites more strategic platforming and justifies even having the two characters in the same game in the first place.

Have the Mario half as the default Banjo where he deals more with more methodical platforming, static/slow enemies, and more binary jumping obstacles, and the Sonic half as the activated Kazooie where he allows you to run, perform long jumps, and get higher with the Homing Attack or LW's wall-running stuff. Allow switching to Sonic to be performed with a trigger button. For shared abilities between them like the wall jump, just have the animations alternate between the characters to have the visualization of team work. Keep power ups character-specific (or don't; whichever works best). Give it to Nintendo EAD or Playtonic and there you have it.

Sonic Heroes with Mario/Sonic? I'm down 

• Thumbs Up 1

Convincing Iizuka would be easy, imo. He's given the go-ahead on a lot of crossovers over the years, and though he's made some good choices over the years, (and a really good one in terms of Mania's handling) I doubt he's all that concerned about the smaller details of such a game.

It's Nintendo that'd take the actual convincing. They're pretty protective of the quality of their main IP now, and after SEGA got a contract for exclusive games on their consoles and released some of the worst failures in the series when using it, either sales-wise or quality-wise? Idk. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some trust issues between the two after all this.

Nevermind the actual logistics of how a game would work, what with how different their gameplay is and how poorly alternate gameplay is looked upon by the mass majority.

Regardless, I'd like to see it happen if only for posterity's sake, and the result of it would get plenty of interesting discussion going as well, high or low quality. And Naka returning to Sonic would always be interesting to see. Hope something comes of this eventually...

• Thumbs Up 3

^ I don't think anyone cares about alternate gameplay styles in a crossover. It'd be like complaining Smash had too much of a focus on fighting for Mario to be in it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd really like something done the Sonic Generations way: each stage has two "acts", one played with Mario and one played with Sonic. Each character's version of the stage would have their respective series' style, layout and gimmicks.

• Thumbs Up 2