Awoo.

News of the World "Sunday" Sonic Strips Archive

Lucky

This is neat! I just finished reading Sonic the Comic and I liked it a lot; a very interesting take on Sonic. These strips are like a bonus. Kudos to everyone involved.

Yeah just to add to this. 

This was... a seemingly impossible task at one point. Whilst we had a few of the strips between us, ebay prices for these things were going from £15-£30 each, not because it was Sonic, but because it was an old newspaper and when you have one guy selling them and suddenly people start buying, they whack up the price.

So it wasn't financially viable to keep buying them.

We even contacted the News of the World directly at one point (before they were shut down) and they had no idea what they were so they were no help either.

Almost nobody had a complete collection, it was a damn miracle we got half of the strips, let alone all but 2 of them. Lucky has been absolutely instrumental in getting this collection online and available for everybody, she deserves the most credit out of all of this. But huge thanks need to go to Richard Elson, without him this would not be anywhere near complete.

But hey, in about a year we went from around 7 of these things scattered in different places in poor condition. To a near complete collection scanned to a very high level of detail.

• Thumbs Up 6

Thank you! I love these early adaptations based on the games, before Dic and Archie came and "polluted" the franchise.

Pity that the 29th May 1994 and 13th November 1994 strips are missing, though =( Any UK Sonic fans here that have them?

Wow, never knew this existed.

I'd so like to thank the dedicated people who unearthed these, it's a great feeling seeing a piece of Sonic media that I never knew about, especially something that's nearly impossible to have a complete set of.

The stories are certainly simple, and there are some annoying dialogue tics, but overall, these are as cute as heck, and the art is really great (particularly Richard Elson's). Just classic Sonicy goodness in its purest, simplest form. Nothing not to love, really. Though, while the Sonic & Robotnik solo action was certainly enjoyable, it's a slight shame Tails only appeared in one story. It's awesome that such a rare piece of Sonic media is now available to all - good work, and thank you so much! <3

They've found em! They've found em! I can't wait to read some of these!

EDIT: "CATERKILLER RECEPTION COMMITTEE!"

EDIT: Noticed a handful of original robots in the comic. A robot designed to look like a Pocky/J. Lightfoot, Lavasaurus (an upgraded "super" version of Rexxon), "super" versions of a few other Sonic 2 badniks, a large pale-green octopus, a large vulture badnik with a rather Don Martin-ish head (Sonic calls it the "Freaky Flying Dude"), 2 purply semi-realisitic fish (are those meant to just be normal fish?), and a moray eel badnik that looks like Masher.

Wow! Thanks to everyone who helped make this a reality! 

Any chance some of the other franchises featured in these magazines could be released. I think they had a really good Power Rangers comic among others. 

• 5 years later...

Hey! Sorry to necro an old thread, but I didn't know where else to post this. I actually have one of the missing strips. Below is the 29th of May 1994 to add to the archive.

spacer.png

I know I definitely used to have the other missing one too, but I haven't been able to find it. If it turns up, I'll post it here too.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

On 2/14/2022 at 5:36 PM, ninjaconor said:

Hey! Sorry to necro an old thread, but I didn't know where else to post this. I actually have one of the missing strips. Below is the 29th of May 1994 to add to the archive.

spacer.png

I know I definitely used to have the other missing one too, but I haven't been able to find it. If it turns up, I'll post it here too.

Great stuff, thanks!

Are you sure about the date though? Sonic Retro has a very low quality black and white photocopy and says it's the 13th November 1994 strip. https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(News_of_the_World_comic)

Do you have the magazine itself? If so, it would be great to have a scan of the full page, with all the non-Sonic strips on it. 

On 2/17/2022 at 12:30 PM, Pengi said:

Great stuff, thanks!

Are you sure about the date though? Sonic Retro has a very low quality black and white photocopy and says it's the 13th November 1994 strip. https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(News_of_the_World_comic)

Do you have the magazine itself? If so, it would be great to have a scan of the full page, with all the non-Sonic strips on it. 

Yes! You're right! I mixed up the date with the other missing one. It is the 13th of November.

I don't have the full magazine, but I do have the full comic page. My grandparents used to get News of the World and they'd tear the page out and save it for me. Full scan below.

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 5