Awoo.

I have a plan to "fix" Game-Canon Amy Rose

Scape

Amy never stared in a game where you shoot aliens with pistols and drop minor swear words every 10 minutes. That's what hurt the series' image more than anything.

Plus, if we're talking about how Amy's "girliness" is a problem, why isn't Cream being talked about? Or Zeena - for fucks sake, that's her whole character!

1 minute ago, Scape said:

Amy never stared in a game where you shoot aliens with pistols and drop minor swear words every 10 minutes. That's what hurt the series' image more than anything.

Dude, Sonic 06 did far more damage than even ShTH - guns and swear words are a fraction of a very long list of things that hurt this series's image.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not because Amy is a girl. It is because her girly-ness is obnoxious and annoying. She is not likeable or useful.

*RANT WARNING*

Spoiler  

1. Her design is terrible. She is pink and whears a red tootu that shows her panties. She takes the term "monoeye" to the next level. She pretty much just looks like a dork.

2. Her abilities are too weak. In a franchise of elemental powers and time manipulation "hammer" does not stack up well.  Her hammer is not even strong enough to make her a power type and she cannot fly so she has to be a "speed" type despite being slower than knuckles! She can barely even defeat simple robots on her own. She is just a burden to Sonic. 

3. "I was afraid I would never be able to flirt with you again!"

4. Her gameplay is not good. The hammer is gimicky and unsatisfying to use. She is almost always painfully slow and never makes up for it. I would rather have fleshed out chaos powers or psychic abilities than derp around with a  hammer gimmick.

5. She makes the franchise look immature with her annoying girly girl stereotype trying to infect Sonic with her coodies. She even reflects badly on Sonic. I always here people say "Sonic can't be cool with such an annoying and unattractive girlfriend." Her very presence lowers the popularity of the whole fanbase. 

I apologize for the rant but I am really sick of people elavating this mediocre character to the same status as poor Knuckles or Tails.

In short I don't think Amy is a suitable member of the core cast due to her poor design, stereotypical personality,  and gimmicky playstyle. 

I think it is time I retire from this thread. I think I have allready made my point so I'll let all of you SonAmy shippers be for now.

These are some of the most immature reasons to dislike a character that I've read. How old are you, 13!?

First you say her not being a girl isn't the problem then you go on to list most of her girly traits as being problems, so you already destroyed your own point right there.

Then you say she's too much of a stereotype, when literally EVERY character is a two dimensional stereotype to some degree in this series; like when did being a girly girl somehow become more cliche than "Cocky stock Shonen hero", "Young child prodigy" and " Hot headed bruiser".

And then you cap it off by claiming that everyone who disagrees with you is somehow a Sonamy shipper, rather than thinking that maybe your reasons are a little shallow and unwarranted.

Jesus man, if you really think Amy being a girly girl reflects badly on the series or if you're letting people convince you of that, you need to reevaluate that opinion or start talking with other people because you're coming off as a child with an aversion to anything "girly". This isn't Kindergarden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 8

10 hours ago, reflection_of said:

I always here people say "Sonic can't be cool with such an annoying and unattractive girlfriend."

Has anyone ever actually heard a person make this complaint?

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Scape said:

ad hominem

(An attack directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.)

Ooow, that a interesting  thing. I'm writing it down to my little dictionary.

10 hours ago, reflection_of said:

It's not because Amy is a girl. It is because her girly-ness is obnoxious and annoying. She is not likeable or useful.

*RANT WARNING*

Reveal hidden contents

I apologize for the rant but I am really sick of people elavating this mediocre character to the same status as poor Knuckles or Tails.

In short I don't think Amy is a suitable member of the core cast due to her poor design, stereotypical personality,  and gimmicky playstyle. 

I think it is time I retire from this thread. I think I have already made my point so I'll let all of you SonAmy shippers be for now.

To be brief: you're arguments fall into three categories

1 opinions that are 100% subjective and obviously not everyone agrees with you (design).

2 arguments based on poor writting/gameplay fo one game, that doesn't mean that future games can't improve on (generations line, SA! gameplay)

3 idea that Sonic franchise doesn't have place for lighthearted character, like Amy or Cream (and Chaotix? Not sure, maybe I'm presuming to much)

And while I do agree that Sonic misses this "'action/adventure" spark these days,  I think there is room for lighter characters.

Lastly: Amy can be really awesome

Fair enough, how about this question: Amy can be love crazy sometimes, but does she have temperament?

Sonic X and Battle started this idea that Amy is somewhat hot headed , but older games, Pontac/Graff games and Archie Comics mostly seem to ignore it, so I was never sure if it's really part of her character.

Well I'm sure Amy would snap if she had a bad enough day but if we're talking about if Amy is natural hot-headed, I don't think so. It's kind of a reason why her portrayal in Battle didn't really do it for me; she was so aggressive to everyone, even to Cream ffs (and people thought she was bad in Heroes, plz). I mean sure she's a bit of ditz but I never really got a super aggressive kind of person from Amy to be honest.

I see Amy as someone that's rather hot blooded and has a rather stroppy temper, especially when she thinks she's being ignored or picked on. That's where it should end however, not along the lines of Boom, where she's an irritable grumpy old woman, or X, where she's a sociopathic bully who snaps from a pin drop.

I think one beef I have with Archie is how they treat or simplify this quirk of hers. They had this era she was pretty much the team's rabid guard dog they'd send out to maul terrified villains (in one case Monkey Khan had to quickly suck up to her after she got randomly red eyed to him for no reason). Though they downplayed it after, they then dissolved it altogether outside odd gags. It was only around the reboot they found a balance between being blandly placid and the team's psycho. It was just this overblown gag rather than a developed trait (even in X and Boom her temper at least had cases of substance like insecurities or brush offs from the team, in early Archie she was just schizophrenic).

• 1 month later...

I didn't know you could use hover shoes in Sonic Riders.

Figures, one of the games that helped ruin Amy Rose had depicted one of my ideas for making the character more pertinent-- Having her use those shoes indefinitely.

On 8/10/2016 at 5:26 PM, Scape said:

Subject: I have a plan to "fix" Game!Canon Amy Rose.

I get the feeling that it's become taboo to say anything about her, but I can't internalize my thoughts anymore. I think it's funny how defending Amy to the Sonic Fanbase is just like defending the overall Sonic series to the rest of the world. As an off-and-on Sonic fan, I already have a target on my back. On top of that, I'm getting sick of Amy not being a fun character. I'm getting sick of people saying things like "Amy was always terrible" "Amy needs to die" "Amy's fans are idiots" but when IGN says this about the Sonic series as a whole, they're up in arms.

So, in celebration of the 25th anniversary and Sega's big attempt to regain the goodwill that Rise of Lyric killed, I'm gonna attempt to explain how one of the most divisive characters in the series can be done better.

Spoiler

1. End the crush because most of SEGA's writers don't know what to do with it. After Sonic Adventure 2, her obsession with Sonic became her main defining trait to the point of being a detriment to herself and everyone around her. Tails had a similar relationship with Sonic, but eventually grew out of it, becoming absorbed in his work and almost dismissive of him. [which is probably becoming it's own problem but whatever] This contributed to making Amy look even worse. Sonic's friends are more interesting when they possibly have their own lives to lead. That's not to say she should go all "rah rah gurl power sonic is old news" Just let her affection towards him be background radiation. Don't make her dismissive of Sonic.

2. Dive into her interest in the mystical like fortune telling, dowsing and her possible psychic abilities. Have games of chance more likely to fall in her favor. When she's near a special item (hidden Item Boxes, Rings and Springs, Giant Rings, Red Star Rings, etc.) she closes her eyes and gets surrounded by hearts. When a hazard off-screen is nearby, an exclamation point appears above her head. And maybe have instances where Sonic Tails and Knuckles skeptical of all her mystical mumbo-jumbo even though their lives have been so strongly influenced by it.

3. Make her the one looking after those little animals that Sonic rescues. Whenever he opens a big capsule of them, she runs up and checks on them. As he rescues the critters by the dozens, she hangs back a bit, letting them flock to her and making sure they're cared for. As Sonic continues, Amy gathers more and more of them. By the end of the game, her and thousands of the critters storm the final stronghold with Sonic, breaking machinery, helping him traverse and giving him items.

4. Maybe have Tails make her these shoes [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0skVVddNibQ] Just cut out the middle man. She can now reach Boost-level speeds. Say that Tails gave them to her during her last birthday. He wanted to see if she'd be less frustrated with Sonic and understand him better, if she could reliably trail him. She begins running errands using the skates instead of her car out of concern for the environment, and becomes hooked. The sensation of the wind ripping through her quills, the feeling of being virtually unstoppable, and the knowledge that she could now theoretically catch up to Sonic without breaking a sweat. She eventually senses him run past her hometown and decides to go for it. She skates as fast as she can towards him until the shoes begin to lift her feet off the ground and propel her forward. After a while, she begins trailing him. Once he notices, his path starts changing erratically, making tons of zig-zags and sharp turns, but she mimics him beat-for-beat. He finally relents and slows down. Before he can speak, she says that she knows he doesn't owe her anything and promises to respect his privacy, but she would still like to just play tag every once in a while. After a moment of silence, He compliments the build quality of her shoes and how well she kept up with him. Then after another bit of contemplation, he pokes her and goes "Tag, you're it" before taking off.

If that couldn't make her cool, nothing could. We start thinking about Amy in a finer detail than “burn it to the ground and forget it existed.” What do you think?

Oh, thank goodness! I just noticed this topic for the first time today, and thought that you were planning to spay her. XP

6 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Oh, thank goodness! I just noticed this topic for the first time today, and thought that you were planning to spay her. XP

I was planning to reverse SEGA's mutilation

The only problem I see with Amy's character is how Sega can't seem to be able to make her characterisation consistant. 

Amy being neurotic and delusional is fine, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Some people are neurotic and delusional. It's a thing that happens. But going from "neurotic and delusional" in Sonic Battle and Sonic heroes to "Sonic's passive tag along" in later games is just jarring. There needs to be (a lot of) development and explanation for that. You can't just have her change her personality like that without reason.   

Otherwise, I see absolutely no problems with her. She has fun gameplay, has a cute and fun design (She probably only wears panties so that girls don't think that they can wear a tutu and not wear panties), has a likeable and nice personality, and is just overall a cool and cute character. Yes, she has flaws like being abusive, slightly stalkerish and quite forceful, but that's what makes her interesting and realistic. I like Amy a lot for this. 

Oh, and Amy is not supposed to be Sonics counterpart, Blaze is. Giving her similar speed to Sonic and all that additional stuff will just ruin whatever character development Amy actually had, while also invalidating characters like Blaze. Her hammer is already an incredible weapon, I don't see why she would need a buff.  

The general public thinks -all- of Sonic's friends are annoying and SEGA has been aware of this at least since Sonic 4. Being -the- annoying character in the cast is a death sentence, and I persist that it doesn't necessarily have to be Amy's fate. But if Amy being modified is out of the question, what chance does she have to avoid the chopping block?

So are you saying they're going to stop having Amy in games because you think the majority of the public finds her annoying?

4 minutes ago, Scape said:

The general public thinks -all- of Sonic's friends are annoying and SEGA has been aware of this at least since Sonic 4. Being -the- annoying character in the cast is a death sentence, and I persist that it doesn't necessarily have to be Amy's fate. But if Amy being modified is out of the question, what chance does she have to avoid the chopping block?

Give everyone a good, long break from the majority of the cast, take the time to fix the gameplay and learn to write the core characters to be likable, then trickle in the secondary characters over time, likewise focusing on making them likable. No drastic changes to the characters needed, just some healing time and refocusing on what's already worthwhile about them.

Or reboot the series and reintroduce everyone without 25+ years of baggage and lost focus.

• Thumbs Up 2

52 minutes ago, Apple Kid said:

So are you saying they're going to stop having Amy in games because you think the majority of the public finds her annoying?

Basically. I don't want SEGA to give up on her.

21 hours ago, Scape said:

Based on the fact that she's one of the few to make it into Lost World and Boom (and is one of the main characters in the latter), I think the evidence indicates Sega isn't particularly inclined to scrap her. I also don't really get why you seem to think that Amy is universally considered the "worst of the worst" of Sonic's friends or something. She's not super popular, but is she really that much more significantly more hated than other Sonic characters in the grand scheme of things?

And I think the only thing Amy needs to be less annoying is...being less annoying. No need to make sweeping changes, really. Sega just needs to make sure her depictions don't lean too much towards the stalker-ish, bratty, overly aggressive side and just make her a flawed, but likable, cheery, spunky, and compassionate character who is, when it comes down to it, one of Sonic's best friends and allies. She may be a little immature and irritating at times, sure, but that's not all there is to her. Sega just needs to emphasize that. I honestly don't understand why it can't be as simple as that, and why it's necessary and helpful to outright eliminate her crush on Sonic and tack on a bunch of gimmicks to her abilities.

• Thumbs Up 6

4 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

You know what I would do, take notes from Fleetway.

Fleetway Amy is really the best incarnation of Amy, her and Boom! Amy to a point

God no.

*I don't read Sonic the Comic.*

Amy shouldn't need fit into the stereotypical "cool" role like some other Sonic characters do. The quirkiness and lightheartedness and motherliness she brings to the table is why I like her. It's why I prefer her to Blaze. She shouldn't need to be some "Girl Power" stereotype that uses a ridiculously dangerous weapon and swallows her affection for Sonic, only for the prick to still fail to respect her.

Meh I really hate Amys cannon version, the crazy stalker girl thing is not my thing.

Sega Amy is definitely unstable wanting to force herself on Sonic, she is one of my most hated characteres in the main franchise.

Plus if you want quirkiness thats why we have Boom! Amy.

Actually I have very little against Boom! Amy and is one of the few things I like about the Boom! verse.

Plus if I may be blunt it was you who suggested this topic, if you didnt want outside opinions then the topic should not have been made.

13 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Meh I really hate Amys cannon version, the crazy stalker girl thing is not my thing.

Sega Amy is definitely unstable wanting to force herself on Sonic, she is one of my most hated characteres in the main franchise.

Plus if you want quirkiness thats why we have Boom! Amy.

Actually I have very little against Boom! Amy and is one of the few things I like about the Boom! verse.

Plus if I may be blunt it was you who suggested this topic, if you didnt want outside opinions then the topic should not have been made.

It was you who declared that Fleetway Amy is really the best incarnation of Amy

16 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Just as you have a right to express your own opinion, others have the right to disagree. It's a two-way street. Scape's reply to you may have been strongly-worded, but in no way was it indicating a disrespect for your ability to express your own opinions.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Scape said:

It was you who declared that Fleetway Amy is really the best incarnation of Amy

Well yes but it is mostly true.

For someone who has read Sonic the comic I assure you she is actually a well rounded character.

Granted when she first came into the comic she was the game Amy Rose but with character development over the years that comic was made she had become a worthy addition of the cast.

Sure she carries a crossbow but its another setting in Fleetway where things are a little more crazy than in mainstream sonic.

The biggest problem with Amy's segasonic version is that she is clingy, attention seeking and overall a terrible character outside of her gameplay.

I am more forgiving of characters like Cream as she is a child, but Amy?

She is just above big for the mainstream sonic characters for me and that is not a good place to be.

Sonic heroes really pushed my buttons with her character, sure she was annoying in SA1 and 2 but pushed over the edge in Heroes.

Again this topic is supposed to be how to fix Amy so as someone who is more a fan of Sonic non cannon incarnations than the games I have a unique perspective.

Now yes one can make Amy motherly, have her with mystical powers I agree.

But there isnt anything wrong with making her a tough girl to better fit with Sonic's crew, otherwise she is just yet another side character who is better in the dust bin of Sonic characters.

There can be a balance of the traits you want and the traits I want, sounds like a good character in there somewhere.

Just as you have a right to express your own opinion, others have the right to disagree. It's a two-way street. Scape's reply to you may have been strongly-worded, but in no way was it indicating a disrespect for your ability to express your own opinions.

Well as you can tell now i was going somewhere with that, sorry if I sounded rude I am just honest.