Awoo.

Puyo Puyo Chronicle | 3DS, December 2016 [JP]

Indigo Rush

https://www.destructoid.com/super-cute-puzzle-rpg-puyo-puyo-chronicle-announced-380816.phtml

Puyo-Puyo-Chronicle-Ann-Init.jpg

Coming in December in Japan

Puyo Puyo is one of those criminally underrated series. Enthusiasts know about it and live by it, but the gaming public often drifts by in favor of other puzzle games. Hopefully the newly minted puzzle RPG, Puyo Puyo Chronicle, will help change that.

Announced today by way of Famitsu, it will launch on December 8 in Japan on 3DS, with both a standard and anniversary edition. It's essentially a celebration of the 25th anniversary of the series, featuring RPG sensibilities with 3D zones, a campaign, and 60 side missions.

Thankfully a standard puzzle mode is also included, with 17 rulesets and a boss battle mode for up to four players. My God -- this sounds amazing. Given that have a Japanese 3DS now, I think an import is in order.

Puyo Puyo Chronicle, a Puyo Puyo puzzle RPG, is in development for 3DS, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals. It will launch on December 8 in Japan at 5,490 yen for the standard edition and 9,490 yen for an “Anniversary Box” edition.

The 25th anniversary celebration title of the Puyo Puyo puzzle series’, Puyo Puyo Chronicle offers an “RPG Mode” where characters Arle and Carbuncle take on the role of protagonists.

The story of RPG Mode sees Arle sucked into the world of a book, and in order to return to her original world, she sets off on a journey with a mysterious girl named Allie. You’ll be able to freely explore 3D fields, and in addition to the main story, there are more than 60 sub-quests being prepared. The game promises a story of large volume.

In battle, you can form a team of up to three characters. To attack, you’ll erase Puyos, and Nuisance Puyos will go flying to deal damage to your enemy. Since simultaneously erasing and chaining Puyos increases the amount of damage you deal, puzzle game skills are important, but you can also deal big damage with a small chain through character development.

RPG Mode isn’t the only mode in Puyo Puyo Chronicle. You can also play standard Puyo Puyo. There are 17 types of popular rules available, including “Tsu” and “Fever.” Additionally, there is a local battle mode called “Boss Battle with Everyone” where up to four players can cooperatively take on a boss. It uses the RPG Mode’s battle system as its base, and introduces a “Chance Time” system where, by meeting certain conditions, you can enter Fever Mode to deal big damage.

Here are the characters confirmed to appear:

Arle (voiced by Mie Sonozaki)

Carbuncle (voiced by Tamaki Nakanishi)

Allie (voiced by Honoka Inoue)

Amity (voiced by Shiho Kikuchi)

Ringo (voiced by Asami Imai)

The “Anniversary Box” edition will include:

Special packaging

25th anniversary soundtrack

25th anniversary vocal tracks

25th anniversary drama CD

Puyo Puyo 25th anniversary 3DS theme

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/08/puyo-puyo-chronicle-announced-3ds#Vr0Oz8BAssWh125t.99

Sonic isn't the only Sega franchise to turn 25 this year! To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Puyo games, there will be a special RPG made for the Nintendo 3DS which includes not only standard role playing game mechanics, but will feature the good ol' usual Puyo Poppin' fun, with more rulesets than your body has room for. There aren't any screenshots or even a trailer yet, so we'll have to wait a bit for some visuals.

Unfortunately, much like Puyo Puyo Tetris before it, this wonderful game is not planned to make it to the West at the moment, and probably ever. Though there's a #PuyoChroniclesForTheWest movement going on over at Twitter, it's not likely to change much. We can dream, though. Puyo Puyo is a puzzle drop classic that no Sega nerd is authentic without having some sort of love for it's wacky characters and cute graphics which mask wonderfully brutal puzzle fighting combat. 

If you have never played Puyo Puyo before, what in Carbuncle's name are you waiting for? Play Mean Bean Machine, play Puyo Puyo 2, play Puyo Pop Fever, Magical StoneKirby's Avalanche, Puyo Puyo VSBootleg PuyoTimon and Pumbaa's bloody Jungle freaking Bug Dropsomething. 

If it's good enough to cross-over with Tetris, then it's good enough for you.

pp2_title.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

I've been doing what I can to convince Sega, or at least someone to bring the game over.

Doubt it'll do much, knowing Sega, but I do hope something can come of this.

For now, though, I'll probably have to save up for a Japanese 3DS.

• Thumbs Up 1

More Puyo is always great. A freaking RPG Mode? LOVING IT. Seriously, this game could be getting all of my hype - but as long as there's no localization news, I'm not even gonna start getting excited. The potential for disappointment is just too damn high.

At least some localization guys at Sega already got hit by the outcry of the Western fans, so there's that, at least - but yeah, not getting my hopes up. :/

• Thumbs Up 3

They really should at least consider a digital-only release so as not to worry about paying for the physical media if cost is an issue. 

Normally I'd say it shouldn't be a hassle to localize a Puyo game as they're not terribly text heavy, but this is an RPG this time...

• Thumbs Up 2

Seeing how we still didn't get Puyo Puyo X TETRIS over here my doubts are for a release here, even if it's digital.

On the other hand, with the past 12 months of localization efforts on SEGA's part that could differ.

• Thumbs Up 1

...am I the only one who immediately thought about how cool a Mean Bean Machine RPG would be?

7 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

...am I the only one who immediately thought about how cool a Mean Bean Machine RPG would be?

Provided it's made from the ground up and not connected to Puyo Puyo, yes it would.

7 hours ago, TCB said:

Seeing how we still didn't get Puyo Puyo X TETRIS over here my doubts are for a release here, even if it's digital.

On the other hand, with the past 12 months of localization efforts on SEGA's part that could differ.

Puyo Tetris can't be released here. Ubisoft own the Tetris license in the West. 

Screenshots!

l_57a95254ef702.jpg

l_57a95254f3581.jpg

l_57a95254f1641.jpg

l_57a95254ec47c.jpg

Dammit, I'm still standing by my point that I won't get hyped until we get a Localization Announcement, but goddamn, this is getting REALLY hard...

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's scans of the article

tumblr_oc27igSxxb1s2z1y6o2_1280.jpgtumblr_oc27igSxxb1s2z1y6o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_oc27igSxxb1s2z1y6o4_1280.jpgtumblr_oc27igSxxb1s2z1y6o5_1280.jpg

I really can't wait! Hopefully the #PuyoChroniclesForTheWest twitter campaign is convincing Sega to bringing it over

• Thumbs Up 2

AAH! Kawaii overload!! @_@

Yes, we must band together. Make a lot of noise, let our demands be heard, don't take no for an answer!

Just be sure to ask SEGA nicely, just because we are desperate doesn't mean we can be rude.

• Thumbs Up 1

I legit haven't been interested in a Puyo Puyo game since Mean Bean Machine--and then only because it was connected with Sonic--but throw in a decent story and RPG elements, and I'm actually interested in a Puyo Puyo game again.

Surprised nobody posted this.

https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/766696975018266624/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

It was a joking post in response to the movement, but they're aware.

Now, this doesn't actually say anything about the game's chances of reaching it to the West. For all we know, they may still say no. But they're aware, at least, and the fact that they even acknowledged it is, to me at least, a surprise in itself.

But if I were you, I wouldn't get my hopes up too much just yet. This doesn't mean anything, after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm really into the idea of this game. We got that puzzle and dragons mario game, so maybe this one has a chance too yeah? :>

Well, for those not hopeful for a Western release, I see Play-Asia already has it up for pre-order. Go to this page for the regular edition, or this page to pre-order the limited Anniversary Box edition.