Awoo.

The Best Voice Acting in Sonic

Yoko/葉子

I figured since Chikao Otsuka's passing upset many fans, it might be time to share who in our opinions have been the best for their roles. I have not listened to many of the Japanese versions, so not many will be listed on my end.

You may talk about any Sonic voice actor of any language

To start off, I tend to like the New York cast the most for English.

I think Jason Griffith was the best Sonic and Shadow. I could hear the confidence and wildness in his voice for Sonic and the cold, but vulnerability in his Shadow.

Jay Snyder/Dan Green was an awesome Knuckles. I think he captured the serious and almost thug-like cluelessness pretty well. He sounded tougher than the Dreamcast era voice, which I really liked.

Chikao Otsuka sounded like he had a lot of fun with Dr. Eggman. He had plenty of experience with comedic and maniacal villains beforehand, so it helped his performance.

Of course, Mike Pollock is an excellent Eggman. He gives off this comical narcissist vibe in his performance, which adds to the doctor's charm.

On the Japanese side, I liked how Joji Nakata handled Gamma, even though it was partly done with a voice filter. You could hear the blind dedication to his mission in the way he talked.

Tony Salerno made a comically adorable Chip. The naivety was so cute. "Want some chocolate?"

Rebecca Honig sounded so sweet and lovable, as Cream. The way she sounded just made me want to give her a soft hug.

Lastly, Erica Schroeder/Bella Hudon had plenty of experience in theatre before voice acting, so her Blaze sounded very professional. The calm, but socially shy and serious feel was easily one of the best voice overs in the series.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Roger Craig Smith is by far the best voice Sonic has ever had. So natural-sounding and smooth, perfectly capturing Sonic's laid-back attitude. After a lifetime of Sonic sounding like Urkel (which, admittedly, I think kinda fits) or belting out  his lines in a forced character voice (Griffith is a great actor, but was horribly miscast as Sonic, IMO), Smith was a breath of fresh air for the character.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Lime/Key said:

Jay Snyder/Dan Green was an awesome Knuckles. I think he captured the serious and almost thug-like cluelessness pretty well. He sounded tougher than the Dreamcast era voice, which I really liked.

Really? It never really stuck me as being quite like that, he kinda struck me as friendly, but tough, and perhaps a little silly. Did strike me as fitting though. I'd say Travis has got more or less the same quality to him, though he bigs up the silliness for Sonic Boom for obvious reasons.

I stick to my guns on the opinion that Black Knight had some of the best performances in the series, be it the 4Kids cast or otherwise.  It's what makes Griffith edge ahead of Smith as my favourite Sonic voice, but that's less performance based and more sound based.  Be it Eggman, or Robotnik, the guy doesn't seem to have a bad interpretation.  However, I always find Baldry, Pollock's, and maybe Cummings, as the big stand outs in the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd say Ryan and Jason probably have the most fitting sound for Sonic's voice, and for me Jason kinda wins out over other English voice actors currently for his later performances.

Junichi's a tough one to place, I'd say he edges slightly over Jason largely because of acting ability but his voice is a little odd (I can't even explain why) and strikes me as dorky rather than cool. There are a few things that very much make him stand out though, his sarcastic tone is so thick you could cut it with a knife, his bashful tone is adorable and so his his laugh.

• Thumbs Up 1

For Sonic, Shadow, Amy, Rouge, and Eggman, I prefer the Sonic Adventure/Heroes era. The voice-acting in the first game was kinda off, but the VAs really put their A-Game in when doing the sequel.

Then came Sonic X.. Hoo boy. Jason Griffith sounded a lot like Ryan, but lacked a sense of energy Ryan brought to the role. Amy was a bit more loud and shrilly, and Tails sounded like a girl. Knuckles grunted with every line, and Rouge sounded like she had a smoking problem. But the 4Kids era brought us the incredible Mike Pollock, so I guess every cloud does have its silver lining.

I liked Tails best in Generations. I love Travis Willingham as Knuckles.

I love Mike Pollock, but growing up during the Adventure era, I'll always have a soft spot for Deem Bristow. RIP. Mike is a very, very, very, very, very close second.

With all due respect to Roger Craig Smith (He's great as Batman and Belson) But I don't think he's the right guy for Sonic. It's been 6 years now, and I still can't get used to that voice. I don't know about you guys, but It doesn't sound very laid-back to me. He sounds like he's annoyed a lot, and has a much deeper tone to his voice. Ryan sounded more youthful and carefree, he embodied Sonic perfectly, IMO.

• Thumbs Up 3

Roger is definately Sonic's best voice for me, although Jason had improved a bit by the end of his run. Jaleel fit Sonic's American early 90's personality perfectly too, but only that incarnation; I honestly can't imagine his voice coming out of any incarnation of classic Sonic unless it's the AoStH/SatAM model.

My favourite Tails voice would probably have to be Christopher Welch (AoStH), of all the young boy actors Tails had, I thought Welch's performance sounded the most natural.

The angle Dan and Travis both do for Knuckles is probably my favourite too.

For Amy, Cindy Robinson is a good match for her Boom incarnation, but not so much for her mainline incarnation. For that one, Lisa Ortiz was my favourite.

Shadow's is hard to choose. All three of his English VA's delivered differing portrayals that all sounded good in different ways. Yes, even Kirk Thornton, who I've only recently began warming up to.

Rouge's Adventure era and post-4kids VA's were more fitting for her canon age, but at the same time, her 4kids VA was weird for me in that it matched how she physically looks. Sure, Rouge is supposed to be 19(?) but her design makes her look more closed to her 30's.

Jon St. Jon is best and most adorable-sounding Big. Nuff said.

For Cream, I'd have to say 4kids VA for this one, who I believe succeeded in both sounding emotive and sounding gentle and sweet. Her Adventure era VA sounded a bit too energetic, and Michelle Ruff, while I liked her at first, was perminantly ruined for me by that one annoying as hell mission in Generations.

Silver's 4kids VA is still the one I always default too in my head since I've heard nowhere near enough of Quintin Flynn's performance to get to know it properly. Same goes for Blaze.

All of Espio's voice actors perform the character in mostly the same way, so I don't really have an opinion on any one in particular.

It's hard to pick a favourite voice for Vector; his Heroes VA made him sound like a gentle mobster, which I liked, and his VA's from 4kids onward bring out the more goofier aspect of Vector. Which I also like. As a side note, when it comes to his 4kids VA, Carter Kathcart, I mean his portrayal from ShtH onward: his original interpretation in his first Sonic X appearance was awful.

For Charmy, 4kids wins this one again. Unlike his Heroes VA, who sounds like an obvious woman-trying-to-be-a-little-boy, his 4kids VA actually sounds like a hyperactive child. His post-4kids VA kinda does the same, but there's something missing that I just can't put my finger on.

Mike Pollock is a brilliant Eggman, and Deem Bristow was brilliant two, both in different ways. Deem brought out Eggman's maniacle, dictator side very well, whereas Mike makes him sound a tad more relatable as a man.

• Thumbs Up 1

For some reason I forgot to mention Roger, I kind think he' fitting for Boom! Sonic; he strikes me as older, and Roger's lower tone is fitting to his less cheerful personality. He's definitely improved since after Lost World,too, so I'll be keeping an eye out for how thing's go in Project 2017.

Yeah, I like Smith quite a lot. Otherwise, it really doesn't bother me all too much to be honest.

Sonic: Roger; he's the most laid back voice actor and he's grown on me since Generations; Ryan and Jason are equal second since they are both good in their own way!

Tails: I actually like Connor Bringas the most, he genuinely sounds like a kid and is a lot better than his brother in Adventure. Kate Higgins is very close second, since it doesn't sound overperformed like the 4kids actor and isn't obnoxious like the Heroes actor (It's a fake?!)

Knuckles: I liked the one from the Adventure/Heroes era (Forgot his name?!) since he's sounded much better than his successors.

Amy: 4kids actor. No contest.

Vector: Heroes VA, I never liked the 4kids actor as much. Same goes for Espio.

Shadow: David Humphrey wins; Jason sounds too much like Batman and sounds too dark but Kirk Thornton makes me want to put a drill through my head (I've only heard him in Generations)

Eggman:

hqdefault.jpg

If I had to pick one, it'd probably be Mike Pullock. Deem Bristow is very close second.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm also jumping on the Roger love train. He's probably the only VA with a Sonic voice I actually like the majority of his performances. He puts as much emotion and life as he can into his lines and it shows. Plus I don't really mind Sonic having an older sounding voice considering that he is supposed to be around 20 years old as of now. I think he shines best in Boom, probably because he's not being given crappy lines all the time.

My favorite Tails voice would be Christopher Welch's voice for the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. I normally don't like child voice actors as they tend to speak in monotone due to inexperience and be somewhat incomprehensible, but Christopher is definitely a worthy exception. He sounds really cute as Tails, and emotes in a believable way. Too bad he's older now and has an aged voice to match.

Favorite Knuckles voice (and favorite VA ever for the franchise) goes to Travis Willingham. He has a way of nailing lines that would otherwise sound terrible, as best demonstrated by Boom where he saves otherwise lackluster lines from being intolerable. I don't think I would find anything Boom Knux says to be funny if it weren't for him.

My favorite Eggman is Long John Baldry's voice for the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. It got an inimitably distinctive style, perfect for the evil doctor. It also conveys his ham and greed perfect, and he can sound really menacing when the situation calls for it.

2 hours ago, Sir Laptop said:

Knuckles: I liked the one from the Adventure/Heroes era (Forgot his name?!) since he's sounded much better than his successors.

He had two during that time. Well, three, if you count Ryan Drummond's forgettable stand-in performance in Sonic Shuffle.

Jason Griffith is my favorite sonic voice. Sorry rodger just sounds like an old man trying to be young and hip to me.

Dan green is my favorite knuckles but I like all of knuckles older voices, his newer one is okay too.

Lisa is my favorite amy.

lani is my favorite rouge.

David is my favorite shadow but jason comes close too for me.

Mike pollock is obviously the best eggman and the best in general. Mike Pollock is god, I mean, have you heard his ella.

In all honesty I liked all of tails voices.

My favorite silver voice is pete.

My favorite blaze is Erica.

I could keep going but I think this is enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Add me to the Christopher Welch fan club. For a kid, he sure knew how to act, and his voice was very fitting. Close second goes to Colleen O'Shaugnessey for sounding like Kate Higgins, but without the weird Jimmy Neutron-esque quality. Amy Palant would have been great if she was directed to sound a little gruffer, and the Bringas brothers would've sounded fantastic if they were better actors. As for his Heroes and OVA voices...let's not even talk about them, shall we?

• Thumbs Up 3

Ryan Drummond's my favorite Sonic. Everything about his voice just fit Sonic's character to a T. Part of me kinda wishes they didn't end up switching to the 4Kids cast back then.

5 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

He had two during that time. Well, three, if you count Ryan Drummond's forgettable stand-in performance in Sonic Shuffle.

Oh, I was referring to the one from Adventure 2/Heroes.

I'm still on the weaboo side with the Japanese cast being the most consistent in voice acting and has stayed the same till now. I like that Jun'ichi Kanemaru doesn't sound cool, and that he doesn't try hard to make Sonic sound cool. He just gives him his own confidence, despite how much of a dork he can be. But, he can still be a badass despite that. He makes him very quirky and since he has a vast emotional range, he is very fun to listen to. The fact that he's still doing this to this day is awesome.

On the English side, Mike Pollock just kept on getting better and better and better as Eggman. He can be as hilarious and threatening as Eggman needs to be. Really glad SEGA just kept him on board. Though, Long John Bradley is up there right with him. Good lord, is that guy fun to listen to. Jim Cummings is amazing as well, even though it is a different type of Robotnik character. It'd be awesome if he did try his hand in the Eggman character one day, though.

Colleen Villard and Christopher Welch are probably my favorite Tails. Travis Willingham is hilarious as Knuckles, even though I don't like that they made him ridiculously dumb.

The voice acting in the Black Knight is pretty good for the most part, too. Kind of a shame Jason Griffith stopped being Sonic. In other anime projects after that, he really grew up to be quite an amazing voice actor. It would've been fun to hear how much his performance would've changed afterwards.

• Thumbs Up 1

There are so many good V.A's from both the games and the TV shows, I thought to be fair I would split it into Games and TV: -

Sonic -

T.V - Jaleel White

Games - Roger Craig Smith

Honorable Mentions - Jason Griffith and Ryan Drummond

Tails -

T.V - Colleen O'Shaughnessey

Games - Corey Bringas

Honorable Mentions - Kate Higgins and Christopher Welch

Knuckles - (I couldn't pick!! :-p)

T.V and Games - Travis Willingham and Dan Green

Dr Eggman -

TV - Long John Baldry