Awoo.

Gene Wilder dies aged 83

Big Panda

He was a truly incredible actor.  Nearly everything he did with Richard Pryor was comedy gold and his Willy Wonka was Oscar levels of brilliance.  I hope he rests easy and makes some more laughs with Richard up there.

You know, I was listening to the Willy Wonka soundtrack a week back and thinking "Man, Gene Wilder must be pretty dang old by now".

Welp. Now I know how old he was for certain. RIP Mr Wilder. 

My Dad called me moments ago about the news and I'm really bummed about it. I loved him in Willy Wonka as it's one of my favorite movies. I'm going watch it when I get home tonight in tribute. RIP, Gene Wilder.

• Thumbs Up 1

The original Willy Wonka remains a very nostalgic movie for me, and I don't feel like the remade version did the film nearly enough justice.  So much color and imagination just bursting from the screen, and Gene Wilder's acting really sold me on the character.  I don't think there will ever be a replacement for the charisma he displayed.  I admit I don't know much about his other movies, but this one is definitely a huge influence on me and it's sad to see such a pivotal player in it leave us.

Rest in peace.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd originally posted this on my Facebook

Whenever anyone would ask me what my favourite film is I would always say "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory", it gets you a bunch of strange looks sure, but the timeless appeal of that film spanned across generations.

This is from a variety of different reasons, such as not setting it in any particular country - due to there being a mix of British and American accents whilst the movie was filmed in Germany.

But of course one of the best aspects of the film was Gene Wilder. He brought so much to the role, he refused to even accept it without being able to do his somersault upon the initial reveal of his character as it would add an... " element, of "who knows? is he lying, or is he telling the truth?" is what my main motor was. And I liked that; it appealed to me a lot."

This death, among the many in 2016, has hit me particularly hard. But as Wonka himself would like to say

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams

• Thumbs Up 1

Very sad news. Was brilliant as Willy Wonka as well as the variety of roles he played in Blazing Saddles, The Producers and Young Frankenstein. He shall be sorely missed

I loved his performances in Willy Wonka, The Producers and Young Frankenstein, among others... but I'm sorry to say that I kinda thought he had already died.

Man, this really hits home. Willy Wonka was one of the earliest films I remember watching as a kid. Such amazement and wonder, all led by this wonderful man. Hope where he is is just as if not better than his world of imagination.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Producers is one of my favourite films of all time, and one of the greatest comedies. His work with Mel Brooks is pretty much my favourite comedy ever, especially Blazing Saddles.

I only saw Willy Wonka once, tbh, so it's personally weird that that is his best known role. Makes sense, but he's always been The Waco Kid for me.

• Thumbs Up 1