Awoo.

"Before the Sorceress" - Short Stories by Spin Attaxx

Spin Attaxx

So I've had ideas constantly bubbling away in my head regarding the past of some characters in my project, The Sorceress of the Stars (which should hopefully be a game you can play sometime this lifetime). Since there's so many of these, I feel there's no way I could do most of them justice in-game, so I'm writing them down here. Who knows, maybe I'll even do some post-TSOTS stories involving Jessica and render the topic title obsolete.

To start off with, here's a story detailing how Lumina and Shade came to be, in particular how Shade began his crusade to prove he's pure evil.

Spoiler

The Birth of Light and Dark

It was a cold night in the outskirts of Pax Elixia, but Viola wasn't concerned by this. The young princess liked to take walks in and around the beautiful and shining city of magic, exploring every facet of her home and what lay beyond it. Her favourite place to go to, however, was a snowy plain where trees and clusters of crystals grew undisturbed by man, nature or magic. Red or green, thick or spindly, they came in a vivid spectrum that inspired awe in her every time she admired them.
But they were nothing compared to the sky above them. At night, the cloudy and dim sky faded to reveal a field of stars and nebula above; each shining brightly amongst the blackness of space and the purple cosmic dust. Viola loved to lie down in the snow, gaze up at the stars and imagine what existed beyond her planet. Enchantus was a wonderful place, the capital of Mystic civilisation across the universe even, but what existed beyond said civilisation never seemed to be a question anyone else asked. Not her parents, not the townsfolk, and certainly not her guardian, Wukong.

"I'm afraid I don't see the appeal in this," the old Air Elemental told Viola, sitting cross-legged on his cloud, "you've seen this well over a hundred times by now, surely?"
"Wukong, it's not what you see," Viola replied, her voice soft and kind, "but what you imagine. Doesn't it capture your imagination? The idea of a bigger universe beyond what you've always known?"
Wukong gave a small groan of thought, and replied, "Not really. The way I see it, every place is the same as everywhere else."
"You never thought of travelling much, did you?" Viola asked as she sat up, brushing some snow off her soft purple boots.
"No. If I did, I'd always be worried about the safety of you and your family."
Viola blushed. Even if Wukong wasn't the kind of person who'd tell jokes (or laugh at them), and something of a stick in the mud, he'd always stay loyal to you.
"I guess we'd better head ba-" Viola stopped herself as, in the corner of her eye, she saw a small glimmering light fall down a small distance from her.
She stood up and ran over towards it, Wukong flying after her in curiosity.

A small purple bat-like creature, sleeping on its right, slowly opened its large, gold eyes. It was drowsy, unsure of itself, and had no idea where it was. Looking over itself, it saw it had two wings, two stubby arms, a small tail, and two horn-like appendages on its head. As it gazed at its surroundings, it felt happy in its solitude. It rolled over onto its back and looked up at the stars. Unlike Viola, it only thought about how colourful the sight was and winced at it, not liking it.
Then it rolled over again, and saw another, very different creature lying down next to it, smiling at it and waving.
"AAAAAAAAAAAAGH!" it screamed, as it punched the other being in the face and jumped up and back in fright.

"Ow!" the other being shouted as it slowly sat up and nursed itself.
It looked very different; much more like a human. It had fair skin, blue eyes and bright pink hair, neatly cut and tied back in a ponytail. Atop its head were two spiky locks shaped just like the other creature's horns. It also wore clothing; a blue pendant, a sleeveless white dress with a gold trim and band around the waist, and white shoes with a gold strap. Said shoes caused the poor thing to stumble and wobble around as it tried to stand up.
"W-w-what are you?" the purple creature asked, flying above the ground.
"I... huh?" Neither one of them had any idea about what was going on.

"Hello," a third voice echoed. Turning around, the two saw Viola and Wukong walking up to them. "Tell me, who might you be?"
"We, uh..." the humanoid stammered. "We, uh, don't know..."
Viola turned to Wukong. "I can't believe this... I think we've found two newborn Elementals!"
Wukong raised his brow. "One, maybe, but TWO? At the same time? Impossible!"
The princess disregarded her guardian's skepticism. "Can you do this?" she asked the other two, as she held out her hand and a ball of pink magic surrounded it.
Despite neither one of them being consciously aware of it, they both did the same thing. Theirs, however, were different - the humanoid's was a brilliant bright light, while the purple creature's was pitch black.
Wukong was so startled he fell off his cloud. "P-P-Preposterous! Two different Elementals being created at the same time?! That's unheard of!"
Viola looked around for any sign of the two's Incubator - a mysterious object capable of creating Elementals. However, there was nothing but snow and crystals for miles. These two were very interesting to her - while the concept of twins was far from unknown to her, Incubators never gave out more than one Elemental at a time.

"What's your name?" Viola politely asked, kneeling down to the pink-haired humanoid.
"Erm..." it thought. Things became clearer for her, as they did for all Elementals after creation. It was a Light Elemental. It identified itself as a young girl. She thought of her name. "I guess it's Lumina," she replied, smiling.
"Lumina, that's a cute name!" Viola smiled, making Lumina blush. "And who are you?" she asked to the other creature.
Like Lumina, the same foggy thoughts began to make sense for him. It thought of darkness, of Viola's remark, of something that sounded like the opposite of 'cute'.
"Call me..." he proclaimed, raising his arms menacingly, "...SHADE!"
"Aww, that's just as cute!" Viola chuckled, patting Shade on the head as she stood up.
"Geh, buh, chi, I, guh-!" Shade stammered in shock. It didn't like her comment.
"Ahem, princess," Wukong spoke up, climbing back on his cloud, "this is all well and good, but I think we should be heading back to Elixia now."
"You're probably right," Viola admitted with a sigh. "Would you like to come with us?"
"Yes, please!" Lumina smiled, before wobbling as she tried to keep her balance.
Viola giggled. "Come on, I'll help you back to Paix Elixia - that big city in the distance."

A few days passed. Lumina and Shade lived in the palace with Viola for a few days, but this was until they could find their own homes. The three went to a quiet area in the city's outskirts, and Viola sat down in the soft grass. By now, Lumina had managed to walk without stumbling around like an idiot, and she sat down alongside the princess.
"So what do you think you're going to do now?" Viola asked.
"I think I'll stay here," Lumina replied. "I'd love to see more of it, plus I get to hang out with you~"
Viola blushed. "I know a good place for you to stay; there's an unused lighthouse over by a beach. With a little bit of fixing up, you'd be perfect for it!"
"Really? Thank you so much!" Lumina said, hugging Viola.

Shade, meanwhile, had grown bored of life here. Everything seemed too clean, too nice, too safe and non-threatening. No-one got mad at anyone, no-one dared to do anything mean or nasty. The only form of entertainment he got in Paix Elixia were juvenile storybooks featuring depthless heroes and over the top villains with ludicrous plans and who always reformed by the end. There was very little else besides these for media on Enchantus, so that was all he ever read. He was sick of reading about people doing wicked things he admired, only for them to abandon their different ideals and return to the safe, the harmless, the boring. The sheer dullness of it all and the contempt he held those books in eroded any admiration in the status quo he had.

Shade looked around and asked, "So, where's the nearest criminal hangout?"
"Oh, there aren't any criminals here," Viola cheerily replied. "Everyone here is good natured and friendly towards each other, and they can solve any problem peacefully."
"...and there's no violence? No stealing? No living in fear? Nothing like that anywhere?"
"Nope!"
Shade's eyes expressed disappointment. "That sounds really boring," he sighed.
Lumina looked at Viola. "Shouldn't we be concerned about Shade? Like, why would anyone WANT those things?"
"Don't worry, Lumina," Viola said. "He's just going through a phase. There are no genuinely bad Elementals."
Shade froze, his eyes sharply turning to meet Viola's. "Say. That. Again," he coldly whispered.

"I mean it, it's not in your nature," Viola said. "Every Elemental knows right from wrong, and they don't do bad things because they want to."
"Did you stop and consider that maybe... I like doing bad things?" Shade asked, his tone still subdued.
"I don't wanna agree with him," Lumina piped in, "but when I first saw him, I waved hello and he punched me in the face."
"I'm sure your brother felt guilty about it, though?"
The Dark Elemental thought about it. "No, not really. It was actually kinda fun."
"Again, I'm sure this is a phase," Viola said, unpeturbed. "No-one is ever truly evil. Deep down, everyone has a good heart."
Shade's blood began to boil. "You wanna put that to the test?" he growled, orbs of darkness bubbling up from his hands, which now shapeshifted from their stubby selves into long and thin arms with hands that had three claws each.
Lumina instinctively lept up and fired a bright ray of light at Shade. Being an Elemental, it couldn't kill him, but it still hurt.
"AAARGH!!!" Shade yelled as he recoiled.
"You're not doing anything funny while I'm around," Lumina said, poised to fire again.
"L-listen, I'm sure we can come to an understanding," the princess nervously said, trying to calm the two down.

"Understand this!" Shade said, flying into the air. His tone became booming, theatrical, almost over the top. "You can preach all you want about no-one being truly evil and all that garbage, but the fact is? True evil DOES exist, and I shall be the one to prove it to you! If not I, then someone else will show up in your happy-pappy perfect life, and they'll think, 'I wanna tear all this down'! Be warned; the next time we meet will be your DOOOM! YOUR DOOOOOM, I SAY!!! HAAHAHAHAHA!!!"
Lumina and Viola silently watched as Shade quickly flew away from the city to a distant area, beyond their sight.
"Sooooo," Lumina said, "you still think this is 'just a phase', and that my brother doesn't have a giant chip on his shoulder and a dire need to prove you wrong?"
Viola remained quiet for a few seconds. "Yyyyyess..." she slowly replied, half-convinced she was right. "L-listen, I'd better get back home; Wukong's probably chewing that metal bar of his in worry. You can find your way to the lighthouse, right?"
"Yeah, I think I can manage," Lumina said as Viola stood up and made her way towards the palace. "Thanks for everything!" she shouted as the princess went farther and farther away.

It took some doing, but Lumina eventually found the lighthouse she'd be staying in. The outside looked a little worse for wear, but as she made her way in and up the stone steps, she found the interior at the top rather nice. There was a single cozy room with a soft carpet, a warm bed and even a table. A door led to a balcony around the top, though poor Lumina was too small to see over it, and more steps led up to the currently-absent beacon. It had gone dark outside, and Lumina felt tired after walking so much, so she slid her shoes off and hopped into her bed for a nap. She couldn't wait to explore her new home the next morning

Elsewhere, far from Paix Elixia, Shade flew to a forest - one almost identical to those found on the planet Earth, not that it mattered to anybody as the creation of Earth wasn't due for another incomprehensibly large number of eons. Elementals, in addition to having near-instant maturation, are also innately aware of the extent of their magic, and Shade knew what he would do with it for now. Creating an orb of darkness between his hands, he tossed it into a large group of trees, where it grew and expanded as it sent all that it touched into a world of darkness, before disappearing entirely.
Creating another Dark magic ball, several large cycloptic "worms" comprised of small Dark orbs burrowed out from within and flew towards the clearing, where they solidified into brick-like constructs. In under five minutes, Shade had built a sinister-looking castle from darkness.

"Take THAT, Lumina!" he shouted out loud. "You were given a home, I built myself a LAIR!" He quite liked shouting monologues to no-one in particular. It made him feel like his own man, that nothing could tell him what do to (or more accurately, what not to do).
Entering the castle, he let his voice echo off the walls. "I christen thee, 'Castle Darkspire'," he monologued, again dramatically, "and from here, I shall prove to that NAIVE princess that there DOES exist an evil Elemental... FOR I AM SHADE, AND I WILL HAVE MY RECKONING!!!"
"...after I have slept," he added, flying off to his living room deep in the cellars. His mind was already forming various schemes and plots to inflict on Mystic civilisation, and Lumina. Mostly Lumina. Because screw her.

Haven't done story writing in donkey's years, so tell me how you found this!

• Thumbs Up 7