Awoo.

Sonic Boom Fire & Ice review thread

Badnik Mechanic

20 hours ago, Mad Convoy said:

Actually, IGN backpedeled shortly after the video was posted and tried to claim that they were just goofing around and didn't really mean it. I take that as a sign that we got baited.

Not surprised that Twinfinite hated it-- yet again, its possibly due to bias considering the review starts with the old cliche "Sonic hasn't been doing well in recent years", says that Sonic is the only fun character to play as with no elaboration, speaks as though Sonic's in decline now (now as in, after the announcement of Sonic Mania), not to mention that it cites "no bugs and glitches" as the only positive change despite the fact that SC didn't actually have any major issues with bugs and glitches. :/

Tell me IGN didn't actually do that. Did they change the score? (I refuse to use their site or YT channel so can't check.)

Also re: Twinfinite...there's always someone who says that, isn't there?

1 hour ago, Amalgamous said:

Tell me IGN didn't actually do that. Did they change the score? (I refuse to use their site or YT channel so can't check.)

Also re: Twinfinite...there's always someone who says that, isn't there?

I was referring to their "Sonic was never good and its fans just want to have sex with Big the Cat" video, which they later backpedeled from once it gained controversy.

And yep. Always at least one lazy Sonic review, ready to complain about non-issues. I'd say we did better with Twinfinite than others in the past though as the writer at least brings up a fair amount of valid points and plays the game with reasonable competency-- its not nearly as bad as GI's Sonic Gens review (where the reviewer seemed to have decided before playing that the game would be crap and wrote accordingly) or GameRevolution's Sonic Lost World review (where the reviewer complains about non-issues like having to face enemies that require different approaches to beat, having to restart a level after you lose all your lives, and losing rings when you get hit by an enemy, and generally comes off like he only hates the game because he isn't very good at it). 

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Mad Convoy said:

I was referring to their "Sonic was never good and its fans just want to have sex with Big the Cat" video, which they later backpedeled from once it gained controversy.

And yep. Always at least one lazy Sonic review, ready to complain about non-issues. I'd say we did better with Twinfinite than others in the past though as the writer at least brings up a fair amount of valid points and plays the game with reasonable competency-- its not nearly as bad as GI's Sonic Gens review (where the reviewer seemed to have decided before playing that the game would be crap and wrote accordingly) or GameRevolution's Sonic Lost World review (where the reviewer complains about non-issues like having to face enemies that require different approaches to beat, having to restart a level after you lose all your lives, and losing rings when you get hit by an enemy, and generally comes off like he only hates the game because he isn't very good at it). 

IGN: Well, they've come a long way from their "people should play better games" response to reactions to their Black Knight review at least.

GI: GameInformer's always had a thing against Sonic: I remember the common consensus here about their positive preview of Fire and Ice a while back being "someone just got fired".

GameRevolution: Now this is just hilarious. How did that reviewer even het their job? xD

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

So were done with reviews? wasn't expecting this topic to go quiet so quick.

Literally nobody cared about this game considering the first one's reception, even if it just did ok. Everyone's focused on Mania and Sonic 2017 to care about Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Literally nobody cared about this game considering the first one's reception, even if it just did ok. Everyone's focused on Mania and Sonic 2017 to care about Boom.

Still, if your a game website shouldn't you not review a video game that just came out regardless if you don't care for it?

10 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

Still, if your a game website shouldn't you not review a video game that just came out regardless if you don't care for it?

I was referring to this site in particular. Its a pretty Gaiden game, so those don't get as much publicity or reviews as say, a main stream title would.

Not surprised at the lack of conversation really. Alot of people weren't looking forward to this game in the first place. Plus, it's not awful enough or good enough to warrant any interest. :P

Oh, there's been more reviews according to meticcritc and I'm too lazy to link them all here. There mostly what you expect, 6s and 7s. 

It was a 67 before but now its down to 61. 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/sonic-boom-fire-ice

I'm actually fine with the game getting 6 and 7s from critics, I mean I was impressed some reviewers gave it an 8 at all. But yeah, at the end Fire & Ice is a perfectly fine game but it's nothing revolutionary. But as I said in my ridiculously long sorta-review on it, it's a nice first step into regaining some momentum for the series.

• Thumbs Up 3

Most review sites got the game several days early, lots of other places only just got the game, might be one or two other reviews to come.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, CottonCandy said:

Not surprised at the lack of conversation really. Alot of people weren't looking forward to this game in the first place. Plus, it's not awful enough or good enough to warrant any interest. :P

Oh, there's been more reviews according to meticcritc and I'm too lazy to link them all here. There mostly what you expect, 6s and 7s. 

It was a 67 before but now its down to 61. 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/sonic-boom-fire-ice

While that is true. There are a few who looked forwards to it like myself but would likely talk about it when we actually give it a try. Not much to talk about otherwise. It's not doing anything amazingly special when you consider it's just a side sonic game based off a cartoon in the end.

Problem is I can't say much because my country hasn't released it yet.=/

It comes out tomorrow here and I won't be able to get it till Sunday...............

So I can't discuss a game that I haven't tried as of yet.^-^;;;;;;

There's not much conversation because the game got exactly what most people believed it would get.

Had it scored 9's or 8's across the board or been another bomb... then this topic would be 20 pages long.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah. Its not good enough fodder for the Boom haters. If the game had been getting 3s and 4s across the board, you bet the usual suspects would have come out of the woodwork to brag about how Boom will always be a complete failure, insult Sega for its stupidity, and mock Sega and Boom fans for continuing to support Boom. Which would start a couple pages of flamewar, flamebaiting, etc. if one of the mods didn't step in as soon as the arguing started-- or perhaps those would happen in spite of mods trying to step in. But 6s and 7s with decent enough gameplay/graphics/music/etc. don't provide good material for making Boom out to be a complete failure-- indeed, some would argue it a success and sign of a good game-- taking the wind out of their petulant sails.

Plus, for all its good aspects, its not GOTY material and everybody knows it. So while the fans have certainly been talking on the main F&I topic and elsewhere, and won over some people who were on the fence/skeptical, its not enough to get the interest of people who don't particularly care about Boom nor enough to be considered must-play in Sonic's handheld library.

But in a way, its probably for the better that its not controversial. We really don't need another RoL and Sega and Sanzaru didn't give us another RoL. Likewise, paranoia about getting more Boom games would probably be on high if the game did well in reviews-- seems most people would rather Boom be only a cartoon or die off altogether. The impression I get is that it shows that Boom games can be at least decent and gives a solid foundation to build off of for a sequel, should Sega and Sanzaru decide to make one. I doubt they're going to do that considering that both companies have other things they need to focus on now-- Sanzaru has its VR games to make, Sega has Sonic Mania and Sonic 2017 to work on. But yet again, I also thought that RoL/SC were going to be the last of the Boom games and look at what happened.

I doubt this would be the last title considering this has done well in SEGA's books, we just may not see or hear of another game until the show's 3rd season and thats a ways off.

But I do definitely want a 3rd title just to see what Sanzaru will improve on with feedback from F&I and hopefully it gets just as long as a development cycle as F&I did, the delay helped big time the 3DS games need more of that development time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Right now i will take average reviews, thats fine as even average and playable is a good start to break the sonic cycle.

As for me i am unlikely to play it unless it goes to android.

I rather not support nintendo these days

Um, what Sonic Cycle? The last two Sonic games that gotten bad reviews were the first two Boom games.