Awoo.

Lion King Live-Action Remake (Directed by Jon Faverau)

AlphaRuby

My only reservations about this are whether or not it will fully embrace its musical origins and whether or not it'll be less gritty than the Jungle Book was. I want this to be more like Life of Pi than anything. But the general feeling right now is HYPE.

I'm have mixed feelings about this to be honest. I did initially freak out about this on Twitter but I loved the live action Jungle book movie, so I guess I'll give this a chance. 

I wonder if they'll include some stuff from the Broadway play such as Scar trying to seduce Nala or the scene where Nala officially decides to leave the pridelands.

I agree that I have mixed feelings about this, I love the animated film and don't really understand why they are doing a live action version. However, with Faverau directing, after The Jungle Book was a huge success (both critically and commercially) and also the success of the musical over the past few years, I am excited to see this being made and hope this is just as successful :)

1 hour ago, Nepenthe said:

My only reservations about this are whether or not it will fully embrace its musical origins and whether or not it'll be less gritty than the Jungle Book was. I want this to be more like Life of Pi than anything. But the general feeling right now is HYPE.

IMO, the worst thing about the new Jungle Book was the songs, so I hope they ditch them for this. Especially since the songs in The Lion King suck.

That said, I have always thought The Lion King was a bit rubbish, probably because of the super dumb music. I'm just waiting for them to get the balls to remake Dumbo. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I'm pretty pumped for this. I enjoyed the hell out of both Cinderella and The Jungle Book, and I think B&TB is shaping up quite nicely too.

It's quite funny as the same type of comments we are seeing now were originally levied against The Jungle Book when that was announced, then it actually performed well both critically and commercially.

I watched The Jungle Book last night and it was quite good! I think the team may make a decent film but I kinda doubt it'll be better than the original. But Disney. Listen closely.....

Bring James Earl Jones back as Mufasa.

That is all.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Hyp3hat said:

IMO, the worst thing about the new Jungle Book was the songs, so I hope they ditch them for this. Especially since the songs in The Lion King suck.

That said, I have always thought The Lion King was a bit rubbish, probably because of the super dumb music. I'm just waiting for them to get the balls to remake Dumbo. 

Next Star Wars film they need to take out lightsabers.

• Thumbs Up 7

Still need to watch the live-action Jungle Book film. But if what I heard about that one is true, then I can see this having potential.

We'll see at any rate.

I have mixed feelings about this. 

There's pretty much no doubt it'll be good, but I hope they tone down the realism a bit. The Lion King's lighter moments wouldn't fit the look.

I guess it doesn't have to be a shot for shot remake, but I can't think of many scenes they could mangle or cut out that wouldn't mess with the movie. A lot of them are iconic, so I'm hoping this remake is a bit more straightfofward.

6 hours ago, Hyp3hat said:

they are, with Tim Burton

I don't want to cast doubt on this because the recent live action remake of The Jungle Book turned out to be very good and the Beauty and the Beast one is looking great as well. With the quality stuff Disney has been churning out lately, this could work out well.

9 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Next Star Wars film they need to take out lightsabers.

Haha, It's not quite like that....

It's not like I dislike 'Bare Necessities' and 'I Wanna Be Like You' as songs (they are some of my favourite Disney jams), but I just thought they were totally jarring in The Jungle Book remake, especially the latter with its dumb new verse. That whole scene with King Louie is very foreboding except when he bursts into song, it just ruins the scene. 

That, and the songs in The Lion King are pretty lame, so they would stick out like a sore, stupid thumb with terrible lyrics. 

You are like one of the few people on Earth that thinks the entire Lion King soundtrack is lame. They're not getting rid of the songs, even if it means awkwardly inserting them in. A Lion King without at least the Circle of Life and Can You Feel the Love Tonight sequences would be utter trash, and I know I wouldn't watch it.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't think the song sequences are going to be an issue as far as inclusion goes. They did a good job in making sure each one has narrative significance to the point that they'd be noticeably missing even if they weren't popular. I think what we're going to see instead is elaboration on certain narrative points and characterization, such as how young Simba handles Mufasa's death after running away for example. It already subverts the Bambi Syndrome of "it's over and done; let's move on," but I'd be surprised if they didn't further go for the jugular on it.

You are like one of the few people on Earth that thinks the entire Lion King soundtrack is lame.

I am well aware of this! Not begrudging anyone for being hyped for it, mind.

I don't think the song sequences are going to be an issue as far as inclusion goes. They did a good job in making sure each one has narrative significance to the point that they'd be noticeably missing even if they weren't popular. 

If they do keep them in I wonder if they'll try to be loyal with it or if they'll be downplayed a bit like The Jungle Book. Adapting them to the same style would be REALLY difficult for something that ultimately wouldn't have the same impact, but they're too big a part to leave out. 

2 hours ago, Hyp3hat said:

I am well aware of this! Not begrudging anyone for being hyped for it, mind.

No, but you're basically saying that a major part of what makes the Lion King the Lion King would be better off removed.

Litterally every song in the Lion King is connected to the shakespearean themes and characterization that make the entirety of the narrative, with the "Circle of Life" representing the nature of life and finding one's place in it (that being the various characters and their roles in the plot), "I Just Can't Wait To Be King" representing young Simba eagerness and immaturity to his future role as king due to being a child, "Be Prepared" being a dark mirror of Scar's eagerness and immaturity as well as desire and narcissism towards a coup d'état of the throne, "Hakuna Matata" showing Simba's abandonment of his royal responsibilities, and "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" not just representing the reunion and budding romance between Simba and Nala, but bridging back to Simba's old responsibilities as King given Nala's lyrics. (Oh look there, these songs are connected like the circle of life!)

Simply put, if you're asking for any of these songs to be removed, you're not asking for the Lion King. There's more to those songs than them simply being classic Disney musicals, and a one of the biggest reasons why that movie has stood the test of time. That's why removing them is basically the equivalent of taking out lightsabers in Star Wars.

• Thumbs Up 5

Disney usually likes to act like their modified home video releases are the "definitive" versions so they can still royally go fuck themselves

12 hours ago, Wraith said:

If they do keep them in I wonder if they'll try to be loyal with it or if they'll be downplayed a bit like The Jungle Book. Adapting them to the same style would be REALLY difficult for something that ultimately wouldn't have the same impact, but they're too big a part to leave out. 

I don't think direct adaptation would be difficult because we're already jumping into a more fantastical head space than what's present in The Jungle Book given that there's no human actors in it. And honestly we don't get a lot of CGI sequences in these hyper-realistic films that border on being more abstract and artistic like the song sequences, which in and of itself would be fresher and still convey the spirit of communicating the songs' feelings in a visual manner. The only time I remember this happening in a major film was Life of Pi, and I think a stylistic direction like that would be fantastic.

8 hours ago, Sean said:

Disney usually likes to act like their modified home video releases are the "definitive" versions so they can still royally go fuck themselves

So that's why my stream of Beauty and the Beast came with that extra fucking song in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

So that's why my stream of Beauty and the Beast came with that extra fucking song in it.

I had no idea that these extra songs existed until last year. 

I knew of Morning Report.

No idea how the hell they thought that fit given all the other songs that worked with the Lion King.

That said, the only thing that raises an eyebrow from me is the "live-action" CGI, but I was hella impressed by the acting in Jungle Book beyond what I was expecting (tho it should be noted I didn't watch all of it) that I can't see them screwing up Lion King that easily.

I'm really just craving for animation these days than I am ranting against live action - I dunno, but I feel there's been such a dearth of them (which probably isn't true, just that I haven't looked at a TV screen for at least 4 years now when that was the case) that I've been drained of live action. So don't mind my concerns.