Awoo.

Sonic art book coming from Cook & Becker

PC the Hedgehog

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

Is it just my imagination, or would Boom Sonic look tons better if you got rid of the scarf?

latest?cb=20151218003623

...eh

• Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

That's not the same image/artstyle.

True, Boom Sonic without the scarf in general just looks off to me   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

To be honest I'm more put off by modern and Boom Sonics having the exact same facial expression.

Didn't Uekawa do a Sonic Channel wallpaper a while back where they gave Modern sonic his SA1 grin to differentiate him a bit more from Boom, and why wasn't it also done on this piece? Would've made a world of change.

• Thumbs Up 3

The exclusive print art looks great, but I am put off by how similar Modern and Boom are lookin' there compared to Classic. Yes, their designs are more similar to each other overall than Classic's is to either of them, but their poses and expressions are also very close while Classic's is not. In addition, I feel like there are more subtle differences with the general style of Boom that aren't portrayed here, like his proportions being a bit different and a certain...uh..."Western-ness" I'm not sure I can put my finger on exactly. Classic, on the other hand, is looking GREAT with an adorable expression and pose. Modern takes on Classic Sonic sometimes disappoint me, but certainly not here! (Of course, I suppose it doesn't hurt that that's my favorite design anyway ^^')

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cook & Becker's Twitter gave us some teaser images of the artbook, showing off some of the Sonic CD art.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't buy this sort of thing often, but that sneak peek, and the promise of awesome, never-before-seen concept art it brings, is pretty alluring. Too bad it looks like the release date will overshoot my birthday x)

• Thumbs Up 1

So remember how they were asking fans to help contribute to the book.

Yeah there is a thank you section with names of contributors, even those who don't have material published in the book are apparently listed... and I've just had an email back telling me that my name will not be included due to an 'oversight' 

Typical...

When I get around to it, I'm going to post all the photos I sent them here.

• 3 weeks later...

And an email just arrived saying that shipping will be delayed until late next month. 

tumblr_ooewdayZqA1tlfjtro1_1280.png

tumblr_ooewdayZqA1tlfjtro2_1280.png

On the bright side, gaming site Polygon will have an article up eventually showing off one of the chapters from the book that we can read a bit of.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just think, guys.

Every game ever with Modern Sonic.

It's there.

Taunting you.

There is no escaping Green Hill Zone.

Ever.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 weeks later...

I interviewed Cook & Becker CEO Maarten Brands, discussing the art book and the process they go through in working with SEGA on their projects. Give it a listen: 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 4/17/2017 at 1:17 PM, VEDJ-F said:

Eventually is now, complete with a mini-history lesson.

Plot twist: Green Hill Zone is partially why Sonic has green eyes. 

It also confirms that classic Sonic is the same age as modern Sonic. 

Obviously this is very late, but really interesting article! It makes me feel more interested in possibly getting the art book despite my thrifty nature.

Also, I really like how described it: modern Sonic isn't a different age from classic Sonic, he just has a "mature" look. I find it annoying when people forget (or imagine it was retconned?) that Sonic was always described as 15/16 even in the classic days just because Generations defined him as a younger Sonic. I mean, I can understand the plausibility of the idea and I don't mind younger Sonic looking more like his classic self in the Archie Comics or stuff like that (jn fact I actually find it kinda cool and a nice little nod), I just mind it when people use it to exaggerate classic Sonic's "cutesiness". Too bad Forces will probably reinforce this.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

After a couple of weeks or so of no updates on the book, Cook & Becker emailed people who preordered the book this today! 

Spoiler

DAyH0qgXoAAIwMZ.jpg

DAyH1ldXUAEIMMZ.jpgDAyH20gXsAApyAQ.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

So it's coming out on June 26? Surprised it's not June 23!

• 1 month later...

The art books are being shipped later this week and next week.

https://www.facebook.com/cookandbecker/?platform=hootsuite

Almost there! We have finalized the books, the box, prints etc. and everything looks really good! Attached to this post you can see some photos of the finished product(s). We will do a proper photo shoot soon.

We are packing and shipping out later this week and next week to everybody that pre-ordered. (Due the high volume of pre-orders we won't be able to get everything out the door this week.) We thought initially that we could service our European customers a week before the shipments to North America and the rest of the world but that proved to challenging logistically and now they are all shipping together.

The books will be picked up at the Italian book binder, shipped to our warehouse in Amsterdam and Los Angeles respectively (via air freight) where we already have labeled boxed ready. They will be send immediately on to you via USPS or your local postal service. We are not booking these book in our system as we would regularly do to save a couple of days but that does mean we likely won't have tracking numbers for these orders (currently looking this).

We would like to apologize again for any inconvenience caused by the delay, and we thank you for your patience while we sorted out the issues with the book. If you have questions or maybe want to cancel your order because of this delay, please contact us via our contact form on our website. Alternatively, you can ask us questions (semi) live here on our Facebook page.

Remember we will also email a 10% discount code for any future purchase at Cook & Becker to anyone who pre-ordered the Sonic book.

No automatic alt text available.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here they come!

It has taken longer than we would have liked - as you are well aware - but the official Sonic The Hedgehog 25th Anniversary art books are finally shipping to everybody that pre-ordered! Both ourselves and SEGA received the first books and Collector's Editions this week and we are happy to say that we are all 100% satisfied with the quality. So what are the timings?

- Our European customers should receive a tracking email or book tomorrow (Friday) or latest Tuesday next week. We expect almost all books will be delivered next week.

- Customers from North America should receive their tracking number early next week or the book later that week via USPS Priority. Most likely the books will arrive before the tracking numbers due to how we shipped these for speed purposes.

- Our customers from the rest of the world will receive their tracking number either tomorrow (Friday) or next week Monday or Tuesday. Shipping times will depend a bit on the various postal services but you will be able to track your package at least.

• Thumbs Up 2

I got my copy this morning ! And there's quite a lot of unseen stuff.

23s9auq.jpg

op762f.jpg

2e4f1qh.jpg2psndat.jpg

30ivpjd.jpg

UwRTUGS.jpg

LAzKFmM.jpg

0Z8yI2o.jpg

cdzJMxo.jpg

lqG2O5y.jpg

ve4GL73.jpg

FedElNL.jpg

IXjPEnU.jpg

qNanqSM.jpg

QDOauDi.jpg

The ARK :

5qdVOYr.jpg

zeZDLDO.jpg

9eZXcF6.jpg

R1l8wXT.jpg

YLkEbNM.jpg

List of contributors. I'm famous mom !

yxAY4jh.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8

Oh shit, Sonic Crackers concept art! That bubble mechanic looks crazy. 

Also total confirmation that Rouge the Bat was going to be Shadow the Bat originally (and that was early as 1998!). It amuses me a bit that they originally looked a lot like an eviler Amy Rose, I guess that was just the baseline that they developed from since the final Rouge is not that at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

wow this book looks really cool! congrats to everyone who could get it.