Awoo.

Sonic art book coming from Cook & Becker

PC the Hedgehog

Those who have received their books: does your centre spread open out correctly? Mine is stuck like so:

bPlhCnz.jpg

oAT1G9K.jpg

43 minutes ago, GucciBurr said:

le00T0W.jpg

so now we know what this was based on

Hide contents

tumblr_osseqr7ul11tug5afo1_500.jpg

2qJ5f50.jpg

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the resemblance, lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

So I did a video review of this...

Includes the bit where I discover a dead moth.

Summary of my thoughts... 

Initially, this is a fantastic book, the classic era alone almost justifies a purchase, there's a lots of content, some which has never been seen before. 

The presentation is also high, one of the finest books we've had, even one of the best artbooks you can currently buy. 

But... it's not perfect... there are some drawbacks.

* After Sonic Heroes, it... virtually stops, there is little to no concept art, any games are just 3D promotional renders and screenshots which we've seen thousands of times before. 

* The Sonic Boom section is great... yet doesn't include ANY pages dedicated to ANY of the games (I literally laughed at this).

* The merchandise/fan submitted section is practically gone. 

* No Knuckles Chaotix page.

* No fighters page. 

* Shadows game is missing.

* No ASRT/ASR/Tennis games.

* No Mania or Forces pages.

It feels like this should be volume 1 of a 2 part series, this being the classic era with the second volume being the modern era.

• Thumbs Up 7

On 14/07/2017 at 9:22 PM, Mayor D said:

So I did a video review of this...

Includes the bit where I discover a dead moth.

Summary of my thoughts... 

Initially, this is a fantastic book, the classic era alone almost justifies a purchase, there's a lots of content, some which has never been seen before. 

The presentation is also high, one of the finest books we've had, even one of the best artbooks you can currently buy. 

But... it's not perfect... there are some drawbacks.

* After Sonic Heroes, it... virtually stops, there is little to no concept art, any games are just 3D promotional renders and screenshots which we've seen thousands of times before. 

* The Sonic Boom section is great... yet doesn't include ANY pages dedicated to ANY of the games (I literally laughed at this).

* The merchandise/fan submitted section is practically gone. 

* No Knuckles Chaotix page.

* No fighters page. 

* Shadows game is missing.

* No ASRT/ASR/Tennis games.

* No Mania or Forces pages.

It feels like this should be volume 1 of a 2 part series, this being the classic era with the second volume being the modern era.

Maybe the moth was an Original Fan Character?!?!?!? Did you fire an email to them about that?

Great Video Review, I agree that while there is a lot of great content, there could have been more (even thought the book is 200+ pages) Would have loved to seen concept art for Sonic Heroes, Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations. Pity that Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic the Fighters weren't there

The print of the 3 Sonics is amazing and I love the protective cover as well

Overall, if you haven't got a copy, I would recommend picking one up as well

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, I'm probably going to hold off on it for now. I'll get it down the line no doubt because it does have some rare stuff, but there's not really enough there to warrant me making it an urgent purchase. 

I was very certain that I wasn't going to buy this when it was first announced, but a couple of months ago I changed my mind, and I'm definitely glad that I did. The book as a whole is a real treat to look at - the presentation could hardly be any better. Although it's missing a few key points and like Hogfather says it sort of stops after the Classic era, what is there is great... mostly. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to dedicate an entire page to a single  blown up Badnik sprite whilst cramming several pieces of never-before-seen concept art into a corner, but that's beside the point. I'm glad to have this book in my collection. 

Wait... What's up with the Japanese Sonic 2 Boxart having American Sonic? Is there a caption or something explaining it?

Taken from Hogfather's Video:

Screenshot 2017-07-19 at 11.04.23 AM.png

Hey guys, so today I got the book and I noticed something with the number of print from the collectors edition.

If I'm remembering correctly, Cook and Becker said that the numbers are first-come, first -served. As in, if you're the 100th buyer then you were going to get 100/2,500.

The source (that I'm trying to find) said 1 & 2 were not available because one was for Sega, and the other one for Cook & Becker. You were supposed to find your number in the order details and were guaranteed. I supposedly got 3 (got the book as soon as it went up).

My question is, did you guys get different number on your orders that match your prints? Does anyone remember this detail at all?

If I'm making it up then that's okay, but if not that's really crappy especially since it wasn't cheap and the delays it had.

ac1f1d18f443bd2f1ea48d30e10229c3.jpg37d6c2356a7401be217bc8842864b828.jpg

Can't provide a picture. But on my order it says '1'.

I ordered instantly yet my number is quite high.

Apparently it was random numbers after all. They used the number on the orders to keep track of stuff.

Yup, seems to be random. I completely forgot to check what number I got until I just seen your post. 

On the back of my image it says #28, but when I look in my emails I was #68. Interesting.