Tracker_TD

Sonic Neo Genesis

SzsIFg2.png

Sonic Neo Genesis is a fangame by Felik, attempting to recreate the feel and atmosphere of the Classic Sonic games with a 32-bit splash of paint and several features not found in the original titles. The game emphasises the 32-bit concept with clever use of 3D within the 2D atmosphere, and overall the presentation is wonderful; and the gameplay's pretty damn stellar too.

QF2vu6C.png

Being a traditional Classic-style Sonic game, your aim is to make it through each level, and defeat the boss at the end of each Act (we're on the S3&K structure here, 2 acts with a boss in each). Throughout levels there's plenty of power-ups and routes to find, as well as Sonic coins that unlock new abilities for Sonic such as the Super Spin Dash and Elemental Shields. The physics are relatively on-point, and feels just about right. 

FDiZnnA.png   

The current build of the game at SAGE has two levels, Tropical Madness Zone and City Lights Zone. City Lights in particular is utterly gorgeous. The music's also absolutely jammin', with CD-quality tunes all around. There's a lot of care put into the presentation, right down to the Sonic 3 style pre-rendered opening. Sonic's sprites are almost fully reshaded and... look slightly odd, but get the job done. 

znbeU18.png

I can't recommend trying this highly enough. It's a joy to play with incredibly clever level design and staggering production values. Well worth your time.

Demo available herehttp://www.sonicfangameshq.com/SAGE/2016/sonic-neo-genesis/

Is there any way to select characters? I've tried booting the game twice and it sends me off with Knuckles by default. I mean that's fine and everything, just a bit weird.

EDIT: Just tried again and I'm now with Sonic, again without a character select. How odd.

16 minutes ago, Joy said:

Is there any way to select characters? I've tried booting the game twice and it sends me off with Knuckles by default. I mean that's fine and everything, just a bit weird.

EDIT: Just tried again and I'm now with Sonic, again without a character select. How odd.

I wasn't even aware Knuckles was in there! How odd. Maybe it's a button code?

17 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I wasn't even aware Knuckles was in there! How odd. Maybe it's a button code?

It's entirely possible. Of interest, Knuckles has his full moveset from the word go and I don't think the Sonic Coins even appear when playing as him.

Just played it.

Image result for it's good gif

Superb. Pretty much what Tracker said. Impressive vast level design with creative gimmicks and boss fights. The visuals in the game are so nice. Music is equally good. It took me forever to get high enough in the first act of Tropical Madness to unlock the spindash, mainly because the physics - whilst good - aren't quite spot-on for tight platforming, a tad slippery. Also some of the visuals in City Lights Act1 looked like platforms when they are just background. It's was confusing when I thought I was landing on a platform and kept falling through them :huh:

Other than that, it's very impressive.

Thought I'd do a playthrough of Knuckles & Sonic. Such a good fangame. Tropical Madness stage design is impressive.

Unfortunately act2 of City Lights had a poor frame-rate for Knuckles & Sonic (so you may want to skip them). The other acts were fine though.

Sonic's quite noticeably heavy in the jump department...but that's not too terribly bad. It also took a while to figure out whether or not Sonic's acceleration was too slow. It's not slow, but he decelerates a bit faster than normal on slopes.

Doesn't work for me. I get as far as "Presented by Not Sega" before hitting a black screen of death. The "Save and Play" option in the launcher closes the launcher, but doesn't launch the game.

Playing this right now.

This game is absolutely beautiful, and I'm in love with it's soundtrack.

If the physics can be fixed, though, this game would be so much greater. And being the casual I am, all of those crushing platforms in City Lights Zone seemed like overkill and I feel like I died unfairly due to Sonic's weight and slipperiness.

The puzzles and level design of that zone, however, are top-notch. As soon as I saw the background, it took my breath away. Gorgeous game, absolutely looking to be a memorable gem in the Sonic fan games library. Is there anywhere to find the music, btw? I'd love to listen to it in my free time.

Just played it and enjoyed what I've played. It is the first Sonic fan game that I've played and surprised me how well it controlled plus the collision detection seemed spot on (have played a bunch of the hacks in the past though).

Graphically it is great. Sonic is an edit of his Sonic 3 self but have noticed a few new sprites in there. Robotnik looks amazing. Act 2 of the first zone, the background seems familar to me though but can't remember where from.

My first complaint when I played it was where's the spindash? I thought that either there was a control issue or purposely not in the game like Sonic 1. Turned out to be an unlockable and after finding a coin, it became much better to play. The blue box with the giant ring when you get hit does seem that they were inspired by Sonic Mania. Bosses were decent and had no problems reading the pattern after getting hit by them first.

I can highlight City Lights (where's Robson Green?) since that's a good zone. All I can say about the background. Wow... It feels like an early 90s arcade/Neo Geo game with so much detail. To me it feels like Carnival Night done right. It has a similar tone in terms of the level design however it didn't drag on and the idea of the back and forth springs were executed better here. Also liked the Sonic running away from the ball part reminding me of Yuji Naka wanting to do something similar to that in the games.

Just a couple of minor issues that I've encountered though. Well apart from the launcher doesn't launch the game so had to do it manually. Before the boss on City Lights Act 2 after you die on the boss to the nearest checkpoint, the screen doesn't move and I thought... Oh no.. I'm stuck but a jump fixed it which is weird. Must be an alightment issue that can be sorted. The physics while actually are good have a few problems such as spindashing up slopes seem slower than running up them. A couple of times, it somehow shifted a bit to the left in direction. Rolling up and down on the tube near the top of City Lights (1?) caused a stuck sprite. Also it does feel quite slippery and had problems jumping get on those elevating platforms in the first zone.

Apart from those, it was a great fan game to play and met my expectations.

@Person You're in luck, the music apart from the extra life jingle is at the same place as where you extracted the game. Just look for the BGM folder and with something that supports ogg files, you are able to listen to the songs. I actually listened to it before playing the game, it's quite good well the original stuff at least.