Awoo.

Ended: Survey - America Through Foreign Eyes

Bowbowis

Hey all, I'm conducting a survey on how the United States is viewed by people from other countries for my sociology class. Due to the nature of this survey I can't just administer it to people in my area like I normally would. That's where you, the fine folks of the SSMB, come in. I need some of you brave souls to volunteer to answer the following questions in the name of my GPA.

A few things before we begin:

• This survey contains a fair amount of political content and, due to the nature of the board, there is no way to give me your answers anonymously. If you are not comfortable posting your views for the entire board to see you can PM me your answers instead. I will not tell anyone what your answers were.
  • If there's still one or two questions you're not entirely comfortable answering feel free to omit them, still try to answer most of them though, your survey doesn't do me much good if you've only answered half the questions.
  • Similarly, due to privacy reasons, filling in your age and gender are optional. On the other hand, your home country is essential to the survey, it may not be omitted.
  • Do not worry if someone from your country has already answered. The more sets of answers received, the better. I can accept more than one from a given country.
  • Finally, just so we are absolutely clear: This survey is intended for people who are NOT from the United States. If you are an American and you take this survey you're response will not be counted, so don't bother. 

Now, without further ado, the questions are:

Home Country:

1. Have you ever been to the United States?

1a. If so why (business, vacation, study abroad program, visiting relatives, etc.)?

1b. How long were you there (If you have been to the US more than once please list the longest period you were there)?

1c. Which state(s) did you visit?

1d. How would you describe your experience? Was it positive or negative? Did anything stick out as being good, bad, unusual, or unexpected?

2. Do you have any relatives living in the United States?

3. What is the general attitude towards the United States where you live?

3a. What are your personal feelings towards the United States? 

4. What stereotypes of Americans are commonly found in your home country?

5. It’s commonly said in the United States that America has no culture of its own but is instead a mish-mash of various other cultures. What is your opinion of this statement? Is there anything that you would consider unique to American culture?

6. How familiar are you with the American political system? Are you aware of concepts such as the branches of government, the Bill of Rights, and the federal system?

7. As you have probably already heard the United States is currently in the middle of a presidential election. Have you been following the election at all?

7a. If so what is your opinion of Donald Trump?

7b. What is your opinion of Hillary Clinton?

7c. If you could vote in the election do you have any idea which one you would cast your vote for? Would you vote for a third party? Abstain from the election altogether?

8. America has two major political parties, the Democrats and the Republicans, how familiar are you with these parties and their ideologies?

9. The United States has earned itself the nickname of “the world’s policeman” due to its habit of getting involved in other countries’ affairs. Do you think America should continue to intervene in foreign conflicts, or should it let other nations solve their problems themselves?

10. Do you think that there is anything America could learn from your country’s culture or political system? Is there anything that you think your country could learn from America’s culture or political system?

Happy answering!

Home Country: Australia

Yes.

1a. If so why (business, vacation, study abroad program, visiting relatives, etc.)?

Holiday. Also to visit a good friend of mine.

1b. How long were you there (If you have been to the US more than once please list the longest period you were there)?

One week.

New York.

1d. How would you describe your experience? Was it positive or negative? Did anything stick out as being good, bad, unusual, or unexpected?

Nothing stood out too much. I think your tipping system is total garbo and that waiters and valets should get a decent wage.

No.

Mixed. Some folks like it others don't. 

It's O.K. I guess.

Hillbilles, 'Gansta Rappers' stuff you guys bring out here through your TV shows and such.

5. It’s commonly said in the United States that America has no culture of its own but is instead a mish-mash of various other cultures. What is your opinion of this statement? Is there anything that you would consider unique to American culture?

Your sports. Baseball, Basketball, NFL is especially American.

6. How familiar are you with the American political system? Are you aware of concepts such as the branches of government, the Bill of Rights, and the federal system?

Fairly familiar.

7. As you have probably already heard the United States is currently in the middle of a presidential election. Have you been following the election at all?

Yes.

Rubbish. The bloke isn't fit to hold a candle let alone be President.

Not too thrilled on her either. What she did to the Haitian people in preventing them getting a wage raise was scummy.  

7c. If you could vote in the election do you have any idea which one you would cast your vote for? Would you vote for a third party? Abstain from the election altogether?

I'd swallow my bitterness and vote Hillary. Third Parties are garbage and so is Trump... 

8. America has two major political parties, the Democrats and the Republicans, how familiar are you with these parties and their ideologies?

Both are a crapshoot sadly. 

9. The United States has earned itself the nickname of “the world’s policeman” due to its habit of getting involved in other countries’ affairs. Do you think America should continue to intervene in foreign conflicts, or should it let other nations solve their problems themselves?

The U.S.A. should really only intervene if the situation has gone to shit in country X. Otherwise use everything else instead. Also humbling yourself and NOT going into a country for your self interests would be a good idea. 

10. Do you think that there is anything America could learn from your country’s culture or political system? Is there anything that you think your country could learn from America’s culture or political system?

Our two countries are so alike that I really can't think of much...

Home Country: Canada

Yes

Visiting relatives

One week

New York and Delaware

It was alright. The amount of gun shops I saw there as opposed to the none I've seen where I live put me kinda on edge though. I also went to Downtown Manhattan once and I didn't enjoy my time there. It was so loud, crowded, and bright that it gave me a migraine.

Yes

It's generally seen as ok from what I've seen.

From what I've seen it seems just like Canada but more grimy. Also the south seems like a horrible place to live based on what my American friends that live there have told me.

Mostly that they're like us but louder and less accepting of immigrants.

I think that there's a distinct American culture, but not everyone in America falls under it. I think that film making is particularly unique to America, especially with it's place in the history of cinema and Hollywood's grip on the industry.

I'm somewhat familiar with them.

I haven't really been directly following it, but I've picked up on what's been going on from family, friends, and social media.

A horrible human being, not at all fit to be president. I honestly think he could potentially absolutely ruin the country and harm other countries in the process. As a Canadian that lives really close to the U.S. I'm particularly worried if he's elected.            

I don't really know much about her other than that she's apparently done some pretty scummy things in the past.

I'd probably vote for Hillary. Even if she's not great, she's the only one that has a chance to win other than Tump, and I'd rather have her in charge instead of him.

I'm only really familiar with them through extremists and how each side stereotypes the other.

Unless it's something that directly involves them in some way or if they're asked, I think they should let nations solve their own issues.

I'm not really sure. At the top of my head I suppose they should take notes from our health care system.

• 1 month later...

Home Country: Australia

1. Have you ever been to the United States?

No.

-

-

-

-

2. Do you have any relatives living in the United States?

No.

Some like it, others don’t. Mixed.

Personally I am Ok with the US. A country that is alike to my own.

Very loud.

I find the love and seen importance of guns as a part of American culture (although not all accept this practice of course).

Somewhat familiar.

I did not really follow the election but did look if I’d happen to come across related things on social media or told by friends. I did take interest on the final day however.

I do not think he is fit to be president. He has the ability to ruin the country and its connections (relationships) to other countries.

I do not know much, other than she hasn’t had the best history. But has the experience.

I would probably vote for Hilary. She at least seems better than Trump and no one else appears to have a chance.

8. America has two major political parties, the Democrats and the Republicans, how familiar are you with these parties and their ideologies?

Not that familiar.

Only go in if the situation in some way involves them, or invited in. There are some situations that should be solved by themselves.

Can’t think of any.

Home Country: Norway

1. Have you ever been to the United States?

Yes, once so far.

Visiting one of you awesome members!

Roughly three months, the maximum time allowed for general travelling.

Minnesota.

It was a great experience, one which will be hard to forget. As for anything sticking out as unexpected, there happens to be a lot of Norwegian blood down there.

2. Do you have any relatives living in the United States?

None that I am aware of.

For the most part, people who have travelled to the United States have spoken warmly of it from a tourist's perspective, from what I have gathered.

Personally, there are some things which I will never understand, along with things that scare me.
One of the things being the controvery regarding weapons. I do not think I would feel safe living in a country where weapons are so readily available, to the public and police both.
The other thing being capital punishment, an act which is long abolished in this and every remotely nearby country.

Those conflicting feelings aside, USA feels like an exciting country, and I would love to travel there again someday.

Lawsuits.

While I have no deep knowledge regarding how America works, I do feel that there are a lot of cultures that have come together, not least groups of people from various nations, the same way I feel how the English language absorbs many words and expressions from most other languages. I would say America is rich in culture, even if many of them theoretically could have originated elsewhere.

As a person with very little interest in his own country's political affairs, I am even less familiar with how the American political system works.

I have been paying attention to certain basics of the election.

After hearing some of the things he has said to the public recently, I was very shocked to hear about his victory, but as Clinton said not long ago, it is important that we give him a chance. 

I have not been paying all that much attention to Hillary Clinton.

I would have needed to research both parties a bit more. Either that or abstain.

8. America has two major political parties, the Democrats and the Republicans, how familiar are you with these parties and their ideologies?

I am not at all familiar with the two major political parties in America.

USA is a powerful nation, and with power comes great responsibility. I do not know enough politics at this point to say whether they should be involved in other countries' affairs or not, as I know there can be dire consequences either way.

America is diverse, big and powerful. I used to think that America could benefit from adapting to far less weapons and less capital punishment, but over time I realized that it is a completely different country in many ways. What works for the country I live in is not necessarily going to work well for America. As for political systems, Norway is technically a kingdom, but the royal family has absolutely no power other than veto rights. Instead, the government is the one in control. What's up with that? USA's president is at least not just for show, they do things, as far as I am aware anyway.

• Nice Smile 1

Home Country: Argentina

No

-

-

-

-

No

As in a lot of cases through Latin America, US reputation has been going down through mid/low class society. Most of the love comes from the mid/high class

I don't hate it nor love it. 

Mostly minor stuff like cheerleaders, the "captain of the high school football team" guy, south US citizens. Then there's the not-so-minor "The red button at the Oval Office to nuke some faraway country". Oh and the guns stereotype

From the top of my head...Rap, NFL, Country music. These I think are unique to US

Fairly familiar

Not a lot, but enough to get an idea what was going on

Terrible man, Xenophobic and classist. Like our current president but 100 times worse

That she shouldn't have been the Democrat candidate. I don't know what the Democrat party saw on her

I'd still would have voted Clinton before not voting. Still better option than Trump or simply not voting

It's pretty much two right wing parties. Just one is most to the right than the other

Any kind of conflict is bad...But I have that feeling that each time US intervenes, things don't get any better

Maybe an election system that doesn't elect a president through an electoral college since this not always represents the popular vote As seen this year

The deadline for the survey has been reached. Thanks to everybody who took the time to answer, you were a big help.

• Thumbs Up 1