Awoo.

Pokémon Spoilers Topic (Current Info Leaks - Scarlet/Violet DLC)

Sonictrainer

56 minutes ago, Mythical Panda said:

Do we have a full list of all version exclusive Pokemon yet?

I think this is everything:

Sword

Mawile
Rufflet and Braviary
Gothita, Gothorita, and Gothitelle
Deino, Zweilous, and Hydreigon
Turtonator
Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o, and Kommo-o
Farfetch'd and Sirfetch'd
Darumaka, Darmanitan
Stonjourner

Applin evolves into Flapple*

Shield

Sableye
Vullaby and Mandibuzz
Solosis, Duosion, and Reuniclus
Pupitar, Larvitar, and Tyranitar
Drampa
Goomy, Sliggoo, and Goodra
Ponyta and Rapidash
Corsola, Cursola
Eiscue

Applin evolves into Appletun*

Gyms: Fighting and Rock in Sword, Ghost and Ice in Shield

*I'm not 100% on Applin though. From what I've heard, it requires different items to evolve, but those items themselves might be version exclusive.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah, so Meltan and Melmetal ARE transferable? That's good to hear.

Seems a little odd to me that only the Unova and Alola legendaries are transferable, though. At least my event Lunala isn't solely relagated to the 3DS now...

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Ice Vec said:

So, basically like the gen VII games...did no one though of this before starting to rage all over the internet?

It’s still not all of them though.

So, I beat Shield. Random and incoherent thoughts follow:

Sword and Shield are good games. They're better than XY and SuMo in my opinion. But they feel lazy, phoned in, unambitious, short, shallow and safe. This was Pokémon's time to really step forward, and it really didn't. They jump from SuMo to SwSh feels like going from DP to HGSS. That's pants.

The series has totally done away with the concept of Pokémon being animals (/wild beasts), and your adventure is little more than a series of linear challenges that's laid out for you, just as in SuMo. I don't like these aspects, but they're amongst the most subjective of issues. The Gym Challenge you go on here is like the Island Challenge of SuMo in terms of how it's set up and conveyed to the player. You start at A and the game clearly tells you which order you'll go in. Once again you're not on an adventure as you were in Kanto, Hoenn, Johto or Sinnoh. It's not even like Unova where you were on an adventure that just felt linear. The adventure is gone. 

The games are still made with the mindset that they're sprite based GameBoy games. Seeing NPCS rigid movement as they slowly turn, stop, walk, stop and turn just to speak to you in cutscenes is almost embarrassing.

The excessive hand holding and exposition of SuMo have thankfully been rectified, but the game still feels limited and linear. The world never opens up for you to explore, evolution methods and Pokémon locations can still be so obtuse you need to consult a guide to find them. Moves and Pokémon have been cut out of the games seemingly arbitrarily. There's a huge lack of content. The EXP share kills any potential difficulty, and simply makes the game worse (I stopped fighting trainers and most wood Pokémon by gym 5 because I was constantly over levelled). The Wild area is a great concept that's undermined by the lack of content and linear nature of the game (not to mention the hideously bad performance if you're online). And in addition to that, just like all of the other recent games the are no dungeons or places to really explore. You get two linear caves in the middle of routes, Glimwood Tangle which is functionally just a regular route and that's it. No Granite Cave (RSE not the remakes) begging you to come back to explore later, no dangerous long routes with no Pokémon Centre/healer, no bases or hideous.  It's really disappointing.

I don't know how bad the hate got... But I think it might just be warranted? I really enjoyed playing truth Shield for the first time. I understand why others might not. And I have no faith that Game Freak will do any better next time.

On the subject of new Pokémon... This is the worst batch of starters to date. I picked Sobble, and while Inteleon has grown on me, I don't particularly like it. It's so human shaped, and not based around negative emotions like the two previous evolutions. Grookey gets the best deal, but it's still a bit rubbish. Cinderace is barely a Pokémon. What knock off cereal mascot did they steal? All of the final starter evolutions are pure types which is a bit of a shame, but not the worst thing ever. Cinderace looks like it wants to be a fighting type yet again though, so go figure. It's quite similar to Incineroar.

The new Pokémon are pretty hit and miss. My team ended up being Inteleon, Perrseker (love it), Galarian Rapidash, Runerigus (his would anyone figure out how to evolve this?), Falinks (again, love it) and Boltund.

Early on, a lot of Pokémon were looking like the base starter forms with big, spherical heads on top of tiny bodies. It was really annoying to see these similar designs pop up all over the place. And when the eventually started to kick in, the artstyle of Pokémon design is so soft, round and exaggerated compared to the older games. This has been an increasing trend with every Gen. Pokémon design quality probably started to dip in Gen 5 imo. I think that Pokémon designs now seem like they start with an idea first, and are worked backwards from them. Less and less often do the Pokémon look like "believable" animals now. They're more like individual characters.

There were still very few new Pokémon. About 80, I think? Plus some Galarian forms and evolutions, bringing up the number a bit. I dunno. It feels like the Pokémon aren't the focus of Pokémon games any more. It's the region instead. And that's strange. Also 50% of Galarian forms/Evolutions are from Gen 1, and all Gigantamax forms are Galarian or Gen 1. Urgh.

And Gigantamaxing as a concept... They all look like shit k bye.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

The series has totally done away with the concept of Pokémon being animals (/wild beasts)

How do you mean?

18 minutes ago, Noodle Panda said:

How do you mean?

Early on, a lot of Pokémon were looking like the base starter forms with big, spherical heads on top of tiny bodies. It was really annoying to see these similar designs pop up all over the place. And when the eventually started to kick in, the artstyle of Pokémon design is so soft, round and exaggerated compared to the older games. This has been an increasing trend with every Gen. Pokémon design quality probably started to dip in Gen 5 imo. I think that Pokémon designs now seem like they start with an idea first, and are worked backwards from them. Less and less often do the Pokémon look like "believable" animals now. They're more like individual characters.

The designs largely feel like characters, and gimmicky. When I look at a lot of newer Pokémon, such as Scorbunny or Polteageist, I feel like it's a specific character. Older Pokémon, like Growlithe and Charmander, are much more animslistic and  look like species. I'm reminded of the anime when there was the time they introduced a Puss in Boots theme Meowth; it was a specific character. And now they've introduced a Viking Meowth species.

It's not a blanket role, even in the older Generations there were Pokémon such as Mr Mime which were more character-like, and there are new additions like Drednaw which is animal-like. The ratio has shifted though. Maybe someone else can do a better job of verbalising this. They way that Pokémon are designed has changed a lot.

Oh yeah, in my previous post I didn't mention the story. It was crap, and barely there. Once again, you're not involved in the story at all. It just all happens around you and everyone loves you for it. Then the legendary on the box appears. The end.

@Blue Blood Thanks for your comments. I'm more and more convinced I'm not getting these games. I was very upset by most of SuMo's content and offering. Still love going back to FRLG, DPPT and HGSS occasionally and I miss alot of the spirit the older games had.

13 minutes ago, BlueFlare said:

@Blue Blood Thanks for your comments. I'm more and more convinced I'm not getting these games. I was very upset by most of SuMo's content and offering. Still love going back to FRLG, DPPT and HGSS occasionally and I miss alot of the spirit the older games had.

If you feel the itch to pay a new Pokémon game, then give one of these a go. They are decent games. And as someone who hated SuMo, I hope that stands for something. I thought XY were lacking too. Gen 5 and 6 are where many of the series problems really started to become big issues (although Gen 5 focused entirely on new Pokémon to begin with in BW, which was a very good decision).

But yeah, you aren't missing out. You know what to expect here. 

For Runerigus you need to have the Yamask take 49 damage at a ruins at night I think.

Which is really freaking ridiculous 

6 minutes ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

For Runerigus you need to have the Yamask take 49 damage at a ruins at night I think.

Which is really freaking ridiculous 

I've been looking up a lot of the new evolution methods on Serebii since I'm not getting the game but wanted to know more about the new Pokémon. I really want to know how the fuck people would have figured out any of these on their own without a guide. Like Sirfetch'd requires three critical hits in a battle, or the various ways to spin the joystick to get the different forms of Alcremie, or Yamask's requirements. For a series that has gotten increasingly more linear and handholdy in the last two or three gens, this is something I think they could actually drop hints for and find a way to teach. Hell, even Red and Blue at least mention that Eevee's forms can be obtained through different stones.

• Thumbs Up 1

They finally decided to do away with the ridiculous moss and ice rocks in random locations, and instead let you just evolve Eevee with the Leaf and Ice Stones to get Leafeon and Glaceon. Charjabug also evolves with the Thunder Stone now. So props for that. But considering that there are still ridiculously obtuse evolutionary methods such as have Yamask take 49HP damage and then walk under the stone arch in the Dusty Bowl or have Farfetch'd get 3 critical hits in a single battle suggests to me that it was probably out of laziness than a desire to streamline the game. 

A lot of the QoL improvements in SwSh feel like they're born from lazy ideas or misunderstanding. They're almost too streamlined at times. I'm on a second playthrough, this time using Sword. The game is riddled with just as many cutscenes as SuMo, interrupting you every time you turn a corner. The dialogue is better though, and and you're given some freedom outside of the cutscenes. I don't want to say that SwSh are one step forwards and two steps back, it's more like half a step forward and two steps to the side.

On 11/18/2019 at 6:47 PM, Blue Blood said:

If you feel the itch to pay a new Pokémon game, then give one of these a go. They are decent games. And as someone who hated SuMo, I hope that stands for something. I thought XY were lacking too. Gen 5 and 6 are where many of the series problems really started to become big issues (although Gen 5 focused entirely on new Pokémon to begin with in BW, which was a very good decision).

But yeah, you aren't missing out. You know what to expect here. 

Well, the thing is, I don't own a Switch and I'm not ready to get one because I need a bunch of reasons (games I like) to even consider getting one, like any other system.  I'm one of those "since day one Pokemon" dudes, but since, say XY, I've not been very happy with the series, though I enjoyed ORAS still quite bit (some call it the worst of the "next gen" games). Back when Gen 4 games came out, I bought a DS, for Pokemon and the Castlevania trio, then later updated my DS to New 3DS to play all the Pokemon DS and 3DS games. I know Switch only has two new Pokemon titles atm (Let's Go and SwSh, but I don't have a very strong trust in the series atm. For me it's been fading slowly but I still hope best for the series in the future.

In which case, yeah, you're making the right decision not to play. If the problems that you have with the newer games are the same as most other people, SwSh only mildly alleviate them at best or actually exacerbate them at worst. They shouldn't be treated as system sellers.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Noodle Panda said:

What if you’re playing in tabletop or docked mode?

You probably just have to hold the controller upside down instead. The Joy-Cons and Pro Controller have built-in gyroscopes, which are needed for Inkay's evolution.

Oh... that seems inconvenient.

Come to think of it, what with this and the TV issues recently mentioned in the main Sw/Sh thread, it kinda sounds like these games aren't exactly well-optimised for the Switch's docked mode. For the moment, at least.

7 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Nope, you have to undock the Switch entirely and have it in handheld mode. 

Wow. How typically Game Freak.

6 hours ago, NegaMetallix said:

Oh... that seems inconvenient.

Come to think of it, what with this and the TV issues recently mentioned in the main Sw/Sh thread, it kinda sounds like these games aren't exactly well-optimised for the Switch's docked mode. For the moment, at least.

The games aren't well optimised at all really. The Wild Area, as empty as it may be, runs mostly fine if the game isn't connected to the Internet. It might drop a frame or two here and there, but nothing that's really very noticeable. When it’s connected to the Internet though (which is the way that it's supposed to be played at all times), the performance is rock bottom. I don't know how best to describe it. You know how sometimes  almost any game will really tank under three most stressful situations,  such as when there are too many enemies around? The framerate will be so low that you can practically count it, it, it'll freeze for a few seconds, inputs are delayed by several seconds... It's that bad. 

I don't know how Game Freak let the game out of the door in that state. It's borderline unplayable.