Awoo.

Super Mario Odyssey (October 27, 2017)

Adamabba

nmt.png

Nintendo teased a new 3D Mario in the Switch trailer! So far it looks pretty open compared to 3D World.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm always excited for new Mario. 

FlgFEGO.png

This part right here reminded me A LOT of Galaxy. It really resembles the opening ceremony type area before you go into space. But then it looked more like 3D World again.

I just hope that the controls of this game are a lot less... slow and sort of basic than 3D World's. 3D World is my least favorite 3D Mario for that reason alone.

• Thumbs Up 2

Desert stuff has me wondering if we could be in for a western themed game like how Galaxy was space and Sunshine was vacationy. Of course it could just be one world or level but just throwin' shit out based on what little we've seen.

In any event, they made sure to show us the triple jump, so I'm definitely thinking this'll be a Mario 64 like experience. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like a fusion of 3D World, Galaxy and Sunshine. Me likey. Me want.

Super Mario 3D Galaxy confirmed?

Seriously though, if this has multiple playable characters like 3D World, then I'd love to see an even greater variety to choose from this time. Yoshi and Wario would especially be great.

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly excited more for this than the Switch to be honest. Always up for a new 3D Mario, regardless which direction it took.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm liking the look of this game already, I definately got the 64/Sunshine vibe and makes me excited.

Not to mention, they seem to using quite a unique world from what I see, a Mexico setting which sounds very interesting and something I've never seen in Mario before. (I did in Rayman Legends though:P).

Maybe it's possible the levels could based on national continents. Now that would be something to see over the same overused level tropes in past games. 

I know it's way too early to discuss things regarding playable characters and story (the latter shouldn't be expected at all unfortunately), but I'd love to take a chance at speculation.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Staged is clearly based off Mexico. Mario Unleashed incoming?

Mexico?? They can't make that stage if we build that wall. No one said that with the wall that Mexico will be dead to America though. Hmm... :huh::huh:

This looks nice. It looks like an open world Mario game. And from the screen shots doesn't look like it's going to be 2D (and I know it's a 3D game but they make Mario games in 3D that are side scrollers.). Like Sonic Lost World mixed with GTA. 

26 minutes ago, Deemon Dude said:

Maybe it's possible the levels could based on national continents.

30255-mario-unleashed.png

Yeah.

In all seriousness though, I'm hyped more for this than the actual console. 3D Mario is my favorite Mario, and for me it's a win either way because I love Sunshine/64/Galaxy gameplay and 3D Land/World gameplay. This looks to combine the two, and that makes me a happy camper, especially when the art style is a bit out of the Mario "comfort zone".

• Thumbs Up 7

I think people need to calm down their hypes for a 64/Sunshine/Galaxy 1 styled game.  Galaxy 2, 3D Land and 3D World all had plenty of wide open courses that rewarded exploration while still having the eventual goal of just getting to the end.  None of the footage seen looks more wide open than courses like the ones first unveiled for 3D World in the E3 demos (Really Rolling Hills and Bullet Bill Base).  Both bits of gameplay have course design that seems to very much encourage a particular direction of travel on Mario's part for me, if they wanted to show off that it was a wide open exploration game the camera would likely be at a more diagonal, zoomed out, or off-centre view to promote the player going wherever they please.

I love 3D Land and 3D World and consider them two of the finest 3D platformers ever created, but I'd like to see them have another crack at wide open multi-goaled courses again but... yeah, way WAY too little footage to tell.

• Thumbs Up 6

WHile I like the open enviroments in 64/Sunshine, I honestly think the mission structure brought the games down a bit and kind of preferred Galaxy and 3D World rapid firing new shit at you.

A compromise would be nice. More open environments that let you make full use of Mario's moveset but you spend less time overall in theme.

I feel my ideal Mario game now would be one that perhaps has a number of expansive hub worlds filled with places to go, quests to complete given from NPCs, paths that can be found through playing around and exploring.  But would also have big entrances that lead to a more traditional map screen where you progress through a series of courses for each "world".  The path to the next world would always be obvious and fairly safe so the player can experiment and learn moves and techniques, while straying away from the path to the next world may lead to dangers more typical of general Mario gameplay, but with rewards for those who pursue their curiosity.

So basically imagine the game has about 15 worlds with about 5-6 levels in each, split across 3-5 big hub worlds, but then there could also be bonus stages, slides, captain toad, minigames, mystery houses, that sort of thing, that would also serve as rewards for exploring the hub worlds and doing Mario 64-esque gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't wait for this game! Always excited for a 3D Mario game! I'm hoping it's like the eariler 3D Mario games, though. Loved 3D World, but I did wish that game was a bit more non-linear.

• Thumbs Up 1

My main hope is for this new game to continue 3D World's concept of multiple playable characters available from the start.

Give us the five from the last game, along with some new guys like Yoshi (Mario 64 DS proves he can work as his own character), Wario (With his Wario Land/World moveset), and Waluigi! (Maybe utilize some wall-running or a double jump?)

• Thumbs Up 2

I too would love more playable characters. But I'd rather Yoshi be around for us to ride.That said playable is better than not present.

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks like it will have multiplayer, but the preview didn't show it.

Super Mario 3D 64 World: Samba de Amigo Edition

I'm excited for it. But like others have said it's to early to tell. I myself don't want yoshi or wario to be playable only cuz I want to see them in an original outing first.

Something I noticed from what little footage there is, and I can't say for sure, but Mario's controls look a lot looser here than in 3D World which was super constrained and put every action in a binary state. If this is true that'd make me sooo happy. The freer controls in 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy are so much more fun for me.

Also Mario's animations here are so good, like wow. Every action and how they move from one to the next is so fluid, and the actions themselves look really lively and appealing.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just as a heads up, while that Mexico-inspired level is a really cool thing to see, we probably shouldn't use that to assume anything about the rest of the game.  I mean, 3D World had a couple of Japan-inspired levels, and that didn't make the whole game Japanese styled.  It didn't make it a world traveling adventure either.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea what those NPCs are supposed to be based on?  I'm pretty sure they're a brand new type of thing.  Maybe they're based on calacas?

• Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, G-Force said:

Anyway, does anyone have any idea what those NPCs are supposed to be based on?  I'm pretty sure they're a brand new type of thing.  Maybe they're based on calacas?

Might be. It's hard to tell but they look skeletal to me. They've got spooky eyes at least.

9WK5StX.png

They might be Dry Bones, actually; the head shape looks kinda similar. I wouldn't bet money on it though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone notice that big floating heart in the second stage they showed? Wonder if that means Mario will have a health bar this time around.