Awoo.

Super Mario Odyssey (October 27, 2017)

Adamabba

I am legit impressed. First, obligitary Mario Adventure joke but no seriously, this looks fucking awesome. It's something new, a proper open world Mario game inspired by the likes of Sunshine's HUB, but adding in a ton of personality and fun to Mario's idle animations too and overall looking like something that could rival Galaxy? Fucking awesome.

• Thumbs Up 2

Aside from the show-ending BotW trailer, this was the only good thing to come out of the conference as far as I'm concerned. Looks absolutely incredible.

Looks like what Sonic Team was going for with Sonic Adventure, but it's most definitely going to have way, way better execution.

6 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Looks like what Sonic Team was going for with Sonic Adventure, but it's most definitely going to have way, way better execution.

We should hope that a 2017 game has better execution than one from 1998.

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah honestly, that shouldn't be surprising. I'd find the better comparison to be Sonic 2006 and Unleashed, what with the juxtaposition with the real World (2006) and the world hopping elements (Unleashed), and boy does it easily kick the shit out of those.

696ff7cae198343a9f0524b02c56cbfa.png

This appears to be the same level we saw in the initial teaser and elsewhere in this trailer...day / night cycle? Probably not, but you never know with how wild this game seems to be.

Maybe there's a 64/Sunshine/Galaxy mission select and levels can be at different times of day depending on which mission you choose?

2 minutes ago, Conando said:

Yeah honestly, that shouldn't be surprising. I'd find the better comparison to be Sonic 2006 and Unleashed

disgusted-clint-eastwood.gif

But you're totally right.

I find the real world juxtaposition to be a little off-putting. The more cartoonish/whimsical scenes and areas in the trailer were a lot more appealing and fitting for Mario. Gameplay looks great as usual, but I'm a bit skeptical of the sandbox style. I loved Mario 64 and Sunshine and have always wanted to see them return to that... but now that they have, I'm just wondering if they'll be able to retain that careful level design that made the Galaxy series and 3D World so great. 

• Thumbs Up 3

With how obsessed with open world sandbox games this industry has been lately, I'm hoping Nintendo didn't do it just because it's a fad.

I don't think they did. They're a little odd when it comes to listening to fan feedback, but people have been asking for a Mario game more like 64 and Sunshine for years now. The team just finally picked up on those requests.

• Thumbs Up 9

I've noticed that there seems to be a focus on hats/caps in this game, what with Mario's Rareware Playtonic googly-eyes cap and its new uses, the hat-shaped ship that Mario flys around in, those "Crazy Cap" ads and shops in the worlds, and Bowser's Pimpin' Royal Wedding Top Hattm. I'm wondering if this could mean the power-ups in this game could also harken back to Mario 64's various caps, and perhaps some older ones too. (Bunny Cap from Mario Land 2, anyone?)

It's kind of odd to see Bowser (presumably) bring in some new henchmen instead of the Koopalings (not that I'm complaining, mind you). And yet, those rabbits are strangely reminding me about that supposed Rabbids crossover game...

Anyway, this looks incredibly promising so far. A pity that it won't be out until much later in the year, but it's still something I'm keeping an eye on.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's really not odd at all, the 3D games only ever have new enemies type bosses...3D Land being a major exception.

I'm wondering if perhaps the rabbit-looking gang is one boss fight where you fight them each of them consecutively.

6 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

I'm more concerned for the Crash N. Sane Trilogy and Yooka-Laylee which might get buried between BoTW, Sonic Mania and MK8 Deluxe

Crash N Sane would bury Sonic Mania, not the other way around. 

Otherwise, it is a pretty big concern, but I'm pretty sure Sony would have already taken it into account. Yooka-Laylee...poor thing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Josh said:

l0ExpmAgBi6CgBJQs.gif

Pack it up. Sonic is done.

Heh, well in both cases, Sonic's got multiplatform to help him out.

phoenix-confident%28a%29.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Heh, well in both cases, Sonic's got multiplatform to help him out.

phoenix-confident%28a%29.gif

Sales aren't the only thing I'm talking about there.

Mario is the only platformer I would love to have a completely open world game with and this is perfect! I'm definitely looking forward to this. I love the new hat mechanics, it's pretty creative and smart. A few of those stages look pretty good too. Now I can play around with Mario to my hearts content without getting bored of the setting. 

But yea, honestly people are pushing this up way too high. I know people love to pretend everything about Mario (and Nintendo) is perfect and amazing, but honestly, it's not. Music is still undeniably largely generic and mediocre. The stage themes are there and are pretty nice occasionally, but the designs are bland, and aren't too interesting. Mario is still really slow, although at least he has some speed up when he runs down and has his leap to help. 

l0ExpmAgBi6CgBJQs.gif

Those rolling physics makes absolutely no sense and is physics defying. Acceleration does not work like that. Mario moves at the same velocity for a while, suddenly gets a speed boost (via magic), and moves at the same velocity again. I'm not sure if you can call that acceleration. Sonic has rarely ever been so awful in rolling physics. 

Yes, I know this will be controversial, because I am not praising everything about Mario. Mario is still very slow and has awful rolling physics, he hasn't beaten Sonic in those respects at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Lucid Dream said:

Yes, I know this will be controversial, because I am not praising everything about Mario. Mario is still very slow and has awful rolling physics, he hasn't beaten Sonic in those respects at all. 

It'd only be controversial because it's a daft argument.

Sonic is a game that (when it's doing itself right) is built around rolling physics and the like. Mario isn't. He's not supposed to be moving at speeds akin to Sonic; and I'd disagree he looks particularly slow here. It's a bizarre nitpick to have.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

You just reached really hard to defend Sonic from some honestly pretty harmless jabs.  

No, I just generally dislike the rolling physics. Sonic has pretty crap rolling physics too, even the impressive genesis games have very suspicious, or outright wrong physics. At least it's abstractly based off real physics though. Sonic was just the comparison, since it's literally the only other game I know that has rolling physics. 

Also, half the post was about other things in the game. I just went over that more extensively because people seemed to think it actually makes sense. 

58 minutes ago, Josh said:

Sales aren't the only thing I'm talking about there.

I knew that.

Regardless, I'm sure they'll both succeed in their respective routes, albeit I'm currently more sure on Mania at the moment since I haven't gotten to see enough of Project 2017, but upon a well enough spotlight and marketing campaign, I'm positive that'll rock alongside Mario too!

Although I guess Sonic'll always have it that he beat Mario to having a game announced for the Switch. Heh, gotta go fast after all.

Figured out the deal with New Donk City.

Mario is traveling through time. The ape inhabitants of DK Island and built a Manhattanesque civilization. 

Wow. 

I mean, just... WOW.

This is everything I wanted in a 3D Mario game: (minus multiple playable characters and a new villain) A massive, open-world sandbox to play in, unique aesthetics that don't fall into the cliche' NSMB eight World themes, a versatile moveset Mario can utilize at any time- and the fact that it's just so dang gorgeous is the cherry on top! I'm really looking forward to exploring every last inch of these massive worlds and finding all kinds of secrets! The plot's a little concerning, though- If Mario fails to stop the wedding, I imagine the Game Over screen will look something like this:

I fucking love the weather and lighting effects the trailer showed off. My favourite shot was Mario in the rain overlooking the city while there's huge billboards of Bowser and Peach's "royal wedding" everywhere. On that same note, I really love Peach and Bowser's wedding designs.