Awoo.

Super Mario Odyssey (October 27, 2017)

Adamabba

Can I just be the first to say that I love how Bowser looks in this game? He just looks so fancy in his wedding getup. Also based on the looks of it he might even use his top hat as a weapon much like how gameplay will revolve around Mario hat. I'm excited for this game. Surprisingly though my brother who's usually the Mario fan of of the family ranted and complained that Mario was ruined because the game had no of the charm or creativity he liked from other games and even went so far to call it "The Sonic 06 of Mario Games." His response honestly confuses me, I don't see what he finds so much hatred in the idea. It seems like any other Mario game just on a grander scale, much how Galaxy was the one to step things up when it came along.

4 minutes ago, Azoo said:

I watched a trailer of Mario running through Station Square (complete with realistic human NPCs), doing parkour, and rolling down a hill. Also he went to Planet Wisp.

What is happening.

Sonic tried being Mario Galaxy, guess Nintendo did not like that.

Holy shit guys, Mario Unleashed. HOLY SHIT.

EVERYTHING GOOD ABOUT UNLEASHED BUT NOT WRAPPED UP IN AN UNPOLISHED MESS OF A PACKAGE.

I've straight up never been this excited for a Mario game. Maybe galaxy, but I was like 10 when that shit dropped. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Josh said:

Holy shit guys, Mario Unleashed. HOLY SHIT.

EVERYTHING GOOD ABOUT UNLEASHED BUT NOT WRAPPED UP IN AN UNPOLISHED MESS OF A PACKAGE.

BASICALLY. I don't have to suffer this year. I was never asking for much.

• Thumbs Up 7

Wow can't wait for Super Mario Adventure Colors Unleashed! (With rolling!!!)

But seriously this game looks to be brimming with creativity and is exactly what the Mario franchise needs coming off a rather stale phase of sameyness. New Super Mario Bros this is not. 

I've always wanted Nintendo to try sticking Mario in a proper city environment given his origins as a plumber. I think this title looks fantastic and I can't wait to see what it actually plays like. So glad Nintendo opted to do something extreme and unexpected instead of just giving into the cries for a Galaxy 3. The Galaxy games are fun and I'd even welcome another sequel eventually, but I'm happy to see that even after all this time Nintendo still knows how to reinvent the Mario platformer.

Wow. This may be the first main line Mario I'd actually WANT to play. That, and seeing Mario trek through a Mario-ized version of my hometown is...charming.

• Thumbs Up 3

I, for one, think it's really damn cool that Koizumi confirmed they were going back to the likes of 64 and Sunshine for inspiration with the title. Galaxy and the 3D titles were ace, but it's been a LOOOONG time since we've had a Mario title like this.

Seeing Mario is a realistic looking city with realistic looking NPC's to boot really threw me off in a good way. I definitely can't wait to play this!

First off I think they should have called it "Mario Adventure". First of all you have the city, secondly the complete rip off (for lack of a better word) of the opening scene (I mean come on. An overview of the city that slowly goes to a manhole cover that bursts open??) and most unbelievable of all... MARIO HAS A SPIN DASH NOW!?!?! I've said it before folks, this is the year to make Sonic great again. Sonic has 1 great game confirmed and a second game that from the looks of it will be great too and Mario has a game coming out that seems to be copying Sonic. I do have to say though it looked really nice. The graphics looked great and it completely fixed my problem with Mario games of the last few years, it's not just another side-scroller with a new gimmick. It looks like Nintendo is going back to the style of Mario 64, which is a great idea. From the city gameplay it looks like a mix of Sonic Adventure's controls and for some reason reminds me of the Manhattan in LEGO Marvel. The other stages look interesting. That rainforest totally reminds me of the Mystic Ruins' forest section. I hope they don't give Mario a "Light Coin Dash" haha. Hopefully in the future we will see other characters like Luigi and Yoshi. Maybe as an extra unlockable after you beat the game they can give you Wario and Waluigi to play with. Overall I think this will be one of, if not the best Mario game in the last 10 years. 

Was that actual speed and momentum picking up when Mario was rolling down that hill

Yup pack it in guys this kills the hedgehog lmao R.I.P. Project Sonic 17 we hardly knew ye

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, TCB said:

Was that actual speed and momentum picking up when Mario was rolling down that hill

Yup pack it in guys this kills the hedgehog lmao R.I.P. Project Sonic 17 we hardly knew ye

There's two Sonic games coming out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Nepenthe said:

The other one drops next to Breath of the Fucking Wild.

I repeat: Pack it up.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Josh said:

The other one drops next to Breath of the Fucking Wild.

I repeat: Pack it up.

face-with-tears-of-joy.png

Spoiler

Different demographics, scopes, and prices, so it'll probably be alright. But still.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

I'm just messin' around.

But damn, like Josh said one is out around BotW (Mania), the other (PS17) around Odyssey...woo boy. But hey; two platformers for the holiday season  I can enjoy is something I can look forward to.

Anyway, if this NYC-esque hub has a Nintendo NYC like location for special stuff in game that'll be cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

face-with-tears-of-joy.png

Hide contents

Different demographics, scopes, and prices, so it'll probably be alright. But still.

i mean it's not like releasing next to a big AAA hyped up game is gonna help it. Look at what happened with MGSHD releasing the same month as MW3 for example. Sure it had other issues going with it, but that sure didn't help.

and we thought SLW had t rough being released alongside 3D World but thats nothing compared to this slaughtering

I'm more concerned for the Crash N. Sane Trilogy and Yooka-Laylee which might get buried between BoTW, Sonic Mania and MK8 Deluxe

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

I'm more concerned for the Crash N. Sane Trilogy and Yooka-Laylee which might get buried between BoTW, Sonic Mania and MK8 Deluxe

Crash N.Sane trilogy is on a different console and Yooka-Laylee is multiplatform. This isn't gonna hurt them much.

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, Josh said:

l0ExpmAgBi6CgBJQs.gif

Pack it up. Sonic is done.

There is literally no need for Sonic to exist anymore. After Sonic Mania sends us off and Mario Odyssey releases, we can finally pack our bags and go home.

It's been a long ride, boyos.

Spoiler

I'm just (barely) kidding

• Thumbs Up 7

I definitely wasn't expecting the next Mario game to be like this. Still... I'm intrigued.

I like the return to a more open ended Mario game, and mechanically, I like what I'm seeing. The world traveling concept is pretty unique for a Mario game, too  (well, at least the way it's handled is). My only real design-related complaint is the vastness of the environments leading to a lot of dead space, but if anyone can solve that issue, it's Nintendo. So overall, I think I can call myself excited...

... except for the faux New York. That world looks ugly as hell. Should have gone the Unleashed route and at least do stylized humans. Right now, the NPCs look straight out of the Sims, and the environment is really poor looking IMO. Hopefully they can polish things up by release, though :)

• Thumbs Up 1

The NPCs being super realistic in the city is part of the joke. They make Mario stand out far more stylistically.

• Thumbs Up 1