Awoo.

Super Mario Odyssey (October 27, 2017)

Adamabba

trying to avoid most of the info, but I'm not sure i'm a fan of the hat gimmicks... however the game does seem to be looking pretty interesting

here's the seaside kingdom music. what is it with mario games and water levels having the best music in the entire soundtrack?

4 hours ago, blueblur98 said:

here's the seaside kingdom music. what is it with mario games and water levels having the best music in the entire soundtrack?

Where did this come from originally? It's from June and the Seaside Kingdom wasn't even shown off yet.

14 hours ago, Marcello said:

Where did this come from originally? It's from June and the Seaside Kingdom wasn't even shown off yet.

I believe it came from a trailer or perhaps a website. And it was "assumed" to be a Seaside Kingdom, not confirmed to actually be Seaside Kingdom. Before we knew the name Seaside Kingdom I think it was called "Underwater Kingdom".

It might've been at E3 or another event where they played some Mario Odyssey music between segments.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Zippo said:

They couldn't resist International Talk Like A Pirate Day could they?

There was a SMO preview event in Europe last week, apparently. This guy somehow got into the press kit and uoloaded the gameplay footage.

That channel is known for stealing and reuploading other people's gameplay footage and trailers so it's not too surprising.

cfGgJ62.jpg

A Shit ton of press previews releases today, and this isn't even all of them, not even close. Tons of new information revealed today. Nothing else to say other than it's looking fucking incredible.

I compiled a list of every outfit we've seen so far:

Main Mario outfit 
Classic Mario outfit
Cowboy suit
Wedding Suit
Wetsuit
Charging chuck outfit
Dr Mario Scrubs
Caveman garb
Black suit with fedora
Chef suit
Builder uniform
Black Maestro Outfit (Seen above)
Painter outfit
Golfer's uniform
Poncho
Explorer's outfit
Eskimo outfit
Vacation outfit
Swim Trunks
Blazer and Jeans
Clown Suit
Crazy Cap outfit
Some sort of white outfit
Pirate Outfit

I'm not even gonna bother watching any of it since I'm trying to go into Super Mario Odyssey blind, but can I just say that I haven't been this excited for a game in years? Yes, I wasn't even THIS excited for Breath of the Wild and I'm a huge Zelda fan!

Everything I've seen so far looks and sounds absolutely brilliant; the visuals, the music and the various worlds and gameplay gimmicks. And to think it's all on a handheld too! :0 27 October can't come soon enough, seriously! 

10 hours ago, Zippo said:

cfGgJ62.jpg

Black Maestro Outfit (Seen above)

Dat is the Super Mario All Stars outfit.image.png.db938a1f97b77da6b9e860a8473f6e6e.png

Well, it's close enough anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:
12 hours ago, Zippo said:

cfGgJ62.jpg

How come this reminds me of that entrepreneur episode from spongebob?20170921_095610.thumb.jpg.9ee6c283dd11cae02f02c7f8b7c764bf.jpg 

I'm really disappointed that this game isn't getting given the Collectors Edition treatment... I've ordered it and the Amiibo set already, but I would love something more celebratory of what's obviously going to be one of the best games of the year.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think I've seen more of Mario's nipples this month than I have the previous 29 years of my life put together.

11 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I'm really disappointed that this game isn't getting given the Collectors Edition treatment... I've ordered it and the Amiibo set already, but I would love something more celebratory of what's obviously going to be one of the best games of the year.

That's something that baffles me as well. Nintendo is weird sometimes. 

I finally got a chance to play this at EGX. Despite the long queues, this was a blast to play. I chose to go through New Donk City, and basically just spent my time looking around the area for hidden Moons. The game controlled brilliantly, and manoeuvring across the city was a lot of fun. Once I finally get a Nintendo Switch, this'll definitely be one of my first game choices for the console.

(On that note, this was also my first time using a Nintendo Switch, and I already love the feel of the controllers.)

• The title was changed to Super Mario Odyssey (October 27, 2017)

Looking back at the commercial reminded me of a question I still can't answer or understand... What does Mario Odyssey do with the whole "cartoony character in a photo-realistic world" schtick that Sonic didn't?

I suppose the main thing is that with Odyssey, there's a fair share of self-awareness to it. Mario himself looks no different from how he did in 3D World/Land... Or Galaxy 2... Or Galaxy 1... Or Sunshine... But unlike those games, his design is juxtaposed against extremely realistic environments and civilians that have next to nothing to do with Mario. Every Kingdom has it's own art-style, and photo-realism just so happens to be New Donk City's - The contrast is an intentional, stylistic choice made to set each Kingdom apart.

The developers know that Mario has no business running through Not!NYC, but that's why they're doing it. You can't say the same for Sonic because I don't think anyone working on '06 even knew Sonic has no business running through Not!France in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Depression Kong said:

Looking back at the commercial reminded me of a question I still can't answer or understand... What does Mario Odyssey do with the whole "cartoony character in a photo-realistic world" schtick that Sonic didn't?

I suppose the main thing is that with Odyssey, there's a fair share of self-awareness to it. Mario himself looks no different from how he did in 3D World/Land... Or Galaxy 2... Or Galaxy 1... Or Sunshine... But unlike those games, his design is juxtaposed against extremely realistic environments and civilians that have next to nothing to do with Mario. Every Kingdom has it's own art-style, and photo-realism just so happens to be New Donk City's - The contrast is an intentional, stylistic choice made to set each Kingdom apart.

The developers know that Mario has no business running through Not!NYC, but that's why they're doing it. You can't say the same for Sonic because I don't think anyone working on '06 even knew Sonic has no business running through Not!France in the first place.

Soleanna was based on Venice, Italy actually. I think it was Spagonia that was France-based.