Awoo.

Super Mario Odyssey (October 27, 2017)

Adamabba

That's not much of a surprise, considering that this is Mario and how much Edge loves Nintendo. Still, off to a good start. It's hard to believe that this is out in two weeks... and that I just happen to have time off work that week.

EDIT: According to a GAF user, Edge states that the number of collectable Moons is comparable to BotW's Korok seeds.

Keep in mind Edge has only given 19 perfect 10/10 scores in their entire run. This isn't a score to be taken lightly.

I'm expecting this game to get a lot of 9s and 10s across the board. And if the game sells really well on top of reviewing highly, then hopefully it'll send the right message to Nintendo that we want more explorey collect-a-thon Marios. Here's hoping!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I've purposefully not been keeping up with this game, I guess as per usual for me and games I'm interested in these days. But I've noticed there's been so much news about it. Outfits, levels, enemies and characters... Does anyone feel that too much has been shown off? 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a feeling there's a lot of outfits and enemies / characters we haven't seen yet, at least. As for worlds...I'm hoping there's at least a handful we haven't seen at all yet, but I'm not sure what to expect really.

To be honest I'll only be annoyed if they reveal post-game stuff and other huge surprises. IIRC a week or two the game came out, they revealed Rosalina was unlockable in 3D World. Like, why? That would have been the coolest surprise ever.

• Thumbs Up 2

Interestingly enough, that's a question IGN had in a video recently about if too much is being shown. 

My answer is nah. I don't think too much is being shown off. It's going to be a huge game and will still have a lot of stuff that'll blown our minds. I guess because the game is so big they're able to get away with showing so much as much as they have, but they been good at not really revealing story related stuff and of course post game stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just one more week, guys!

Also, someone got a hold of the Wedding Peach amiibo early, and...:

Spoiler

3305056-screen+shot+2017-10-20+at+10.54.21+am.png

Meh. Gerudo Link is still better.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

Ooooooh boi

here we gooooooo 

Spoiler

OFF THE RAILS DID YOU KNOW IT'S TIME RAISE OUR SAILS? IT'S FREEDOM LIKE YOU NEVER KNEEEEEEEW...

I don't even have a switch yet and the wait already gonna be super painful especially wirh the game leaking as off now

Also @Zippo is there Neogaf thread of this already?

28 minutes ago, Shiguy said:

Ooooooh boi

here we gooooooo 

Hide contents

OFF THE RAILS DID YOU KNOW IT'S TIME RAISE OUR SAILS? IT'S FREEDOM LIKE YOU NEVER KNEEEEEEEW...

I don't even have a switch yet and the wait already gonna be super painful especially wirh the game leaking as off now

Also @Zippo is there Neogaf thread of this already?

No, it's all on /V/. He's very early in.

1508600934054.png

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Derrick from GameXplain is goddamn angry. 

Now he can feel the pain I did when they spoiled the M&L dream team secret boss back when the game came out :)

Seriously though, its probably gonna be hard to avoid spoilers for this game when it comes out. Sucks that I can't get it for some time.

ahhhhh

I won't look anymore

I only watched the intro, but

Spoiler

That was so cool, aughhhh

Also, Bowser (kinda) talks. It's mostly grumbling, but he audibly says "Peach" and "Mario" in his voice-acting. Neat.

Mmmf, I'm going to try really hard to lay low and avoid spoilers

Wow, we essentially have 5-6 days left. I can't say I was hyped initially because I've been busy with school, work, and Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse 2 (which I still haven't beaten and I haven't even gotten the DLC yet), but playing the demo made me simply not care about any of that. I don't care if I'm not finished with Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse 2 because once this game comes out, I am going to purchase it at launch. Mario controls better than ever and long jumping and going into his rolling maneuver feels so stylish and so much fun and the world feels very open yet feels very focused since there is a main objective involved which caters to both Sunshine and Galaxy fans. In a sense, I would say this is like Breath of the Wild. The world feels like an open sandbox where you, much like you would with Zelda's physics system, would actually experiment with Mario's new abilities to explore areas at its fullest. I found myself using Mario's new rolling ability which when combined with his long jump makes maneuvering around so much fun. Just today, I watched someone play the demo and he had a lot of fun just zipping around as a Bullet Bill. 

This game so far seems very solid and the demo has made me even more hyped for the game. I really can't wait to get my hands on this game.

*Yawn* Just woke up, I think the leak is still going, I'll just che--

*Opens tab to find Mario finding a straight-up dragon*

Oh. Um, okay.

Oh, and there's the ending.

Peach just straight-up rejects both Bowser AND Mario. Bowser is left on the moon.

Looking up the leaks since it'll be a while until I can play the game myself (plus I don't mind spoilers, generally) and one of the first things I see is confirmation of a theory I had... (end game spoilers) 

Spoiler

...about the final world. There's been a lot of speculation on this and this is of course late game stuff, so I figured I'd DOUBLE spoiler tag it, lol.

Spoiler

Everyone guessed it'd be the moon of course, but I remember wondering if the final world would involve a church, and well...it does! It makes sense considering the game's plot and all, but it's cool to see something I had considered but not expected.

• Thumbs Up 1

Major spoilers from what i've seen so far of the streams. Watch at your own risk:

Spoiler

*one highlight is the transition to one of the late worlds, the Ruined Kingdom. Bowser just straight up attacks Mario with a dragon. And no, not a goofy cartoony one with googly eyes, a staight-up realistic-looking dragon. Shit's looking like Darkeater Midir from Dark Souls III. Oh, and you fight it, obviously.
*Captain Toad has been spotted here and there, doing its usual shtick of getting lost.
*Bowser's Castle world is a traditional chinese/japanese castle with statues and enemies themed accordingly. Mario can get a samurai costume. At the end Mario faces Bowser on a rooftop but the boss fight is a boss rush of the rabbits we've seen in the trailers
*final level is the moon, you get to see strange cubes but don't mind them too much. Mario gets to the church just in time to crash the wedding (for some reason major rapresentants of each world are there as the public, including Pauline, lmao)
*Bowser's fight is ok, you get to knock his top hat off and  use it as a power up
*suddenly the cubes are the enemy, Mario actually posesses Bowser (fucking called it) -in the process of the posession images of almost every Mario games appear in the background- and carrying Peach demolishes everything in sight
*after the final boss, Peach has to choose who to marry between Mario and Bowser... and she turns down both running away with the Odyssey, leaving them to sigh together on the moon. I guess status quo is too precious at Nintendo -sigh-
*post-game seems to involve extra worlds you unlock by collecting moons. First one is Peach Castle, and it's a 1:1 recreation of the Mario 64 version
*costumes spotted in the shop also include Luigi's hat (it's only cosmetic though, you still play as Mario, whythefuckthough), the Mario 64 model (blocky polygons and all, yes) and a skeleton costume that's super expensive

That's what i know so far, there is probably stuff i haven't caught during the streams and stuff yet to be discovered.

• Thumbs Up 2

Goddammit no! I’m avoiding all spoilers for this game so I’m definitely not clicking anything in this topic. Just a few more days to go...come onnnn. D:

Will also try and avoid gaming YouTube in case they recommend videos with final boss stuff. That’s the worst! 

2 hours ago, Gabz Girl said:

Goddammit no! I’m avoiding all spoilers for this game so I’m definitely not clicking anything in this topic. Just a few more days to go...come onnnn. D:

Will also try and avoid gaming YouTube in case they recommend videos with final boss stuff. That’s the worst! 

Yeah dont. I innocently was watching Cobanernani456's Sonic Colors playthrough. The next recommeneded video is Odyseesy's final boss

So, just tried a demo at my Wal-Mart. I only played maybe five minutes, but I liked it overall. A couple of issues for me, though:
- Mario has a lot of momentum in his run compared to other games. It caught me off guard at first. Also, something feels a little weird about how he turns. It's nothing game breaking, howevern Just something to get used to.
- In order to do a spin jump, you have to do a lot more running in tight circles so Mario starts spinning in place, then you can actually do a spin jump.

Overall, I enjoyed my time on the demo. Definitely looking forward to getting the full game.