Awoo.

Super Mario Odyssey (October 27, 2017)

Adamabba

2 hours ago, Lucid Dream said:

No, I just generally dislike the rolling physics. Sonic has pretty crap rolling physics too, even the impressive genesis games have very suspicious, or outright wrong physics. At least it's abstractly based off real physics though. Sonic was just the comparison, since it's literally the only other game I know that has rolling physics. 

Also, half the post was about other things in the game. I just went over that more extensively because people seemed to think it actually makes sense. 

So let me get this straight: You want Mario games and Sonic games to have realistic physics that are accurate to how it is in real life.......Are you aware of the fact that these franchises never had realism in mind?

And what exactly would realistic physics accomplish for these games anyway? Shouldn't making them fun take priority?

• Thumbs Up 2

This trailer had me speechless.

Never have I tought I would be this hyped for a Mario game.

The graphics, the levels, AN ACUTAL STORY...

I am calling it right now, best Mairo game ever.

Honestly, the city is a great callback to Donkey Kong '91/Mario Vs DK GBA, which was a pretty standard looking city, so I have no issue with that

11 minutes ago, Goku Black (Diamond) said:

AN ACUTAL STORY...

Yeah, don't get too excited there. Remember this is Nintendo, Mario and Miyamoto.

The plot is probably something along the lines of "Bowser kidnaps Peach and many portals are opened up to other areas and you have to collect a lot of something to progress through a hub world" with little interaction between characters.

Maybe you get a flying companion to talk for you so Martinet doesn't have to do any real voice acting

• Thumbs Up 4

It's just likely to have more cutscenes than the average Mario, never assume a Mario platformer will have a story just because of some nice presentation.

The story may be the same at its core, but the way it is presented is different.

"Bowser intends to marry Peach, up to stealing her crown and replacing it with a wedding tiara, and bails to Brooklyn Land" is more attention grabbing than "Bowser kidnaps Peach and locks her up."

• Thumbs Up 6

He only locks her up in 2 games...but I get it. Taking her to his acid pool sauna and Keeping her in a dark aura bubble by his giant space throne isn't too different.

• Thumbs Up 1

With all other kidnapping cases aside from Sunshine, Bowser kidnapping Peach could be seen as simply getting political gain. Just a means to an end, that end being Koopa dominance over the kingdom. And in Sunshine's case, you can construe it as Bowser getting his son motivated to fight Mario like he does, something Jr. himself finds himself liking.

But here, there's a clear point of deeper motivations being made, and it invites a new angle to work with as far as interactions (in a Mario game of all things) go.

It's ironic. The newest main Mario game is bringing the quirky character stuff we typically see from Paper Mario, just as Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi are looking more and more by the numbers. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Much as I love the new flair to the story, a part of me hopes the situation changes at some point during the adventure.  It'd be a shame for Peach to just be back to her old kidnappee ways after the last two 3D games saw her break out of Bowser's confines temporarily in one and avoid them altogether in the other.

27 minutes ago, Jango said:

Seriously, this is Sonic Adventure. It's uncanny.

npVvH2i.jpg

I tried.

Seriously, that screenshot is beautiful, though. Glad to see Nintendo taking some risks with Mario after pretty much playing it safe since Mario Galaxy 2. This is the most interested I've ever been to see more of a Mario game.

• Thumbs Up 9

43 minutes ago, Jango said:

Seriously, this is Sonic Adventure. It's uncanny.

I just need to hear voice acting and see multiple playable characters for Super Mario Odyssey to be truly Sonic Adventure. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

C2DRmDfUAAAk4_V.jpg:large

Have fun with this

It funny how Mario is a human by mushroom kingdom standards but looks complete different to the human in this picture 

Japan had a gameplay demo for this game. Like a how to play segment.

HOO BOY I can't wait to see people speed run this one at AGDQ.

• Thumbs Up 8

Was just about to post that. Really loving the snappiness of his movements and the extra bits of character animation, such as his hat bobbing up and down during a run. Love it. <3

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh, so the spinning hat is indefinite...that's cool. And they kept the ground-pound jump for some reason, that's probably the most useless addition from 3D World. You could already jump out of a ground-pound, all this does is give you extra height.

I just noticed something in the trailer-- Each area has its own purple collectible. We saw the Doritos in the Dia de las Muertos level awhile back, but the city has normal coins, the Planet Wisp-like area has bolts, and the food level has turnips. Since they're each differently shaped, I'm thinking that they either go towards restoring something unique per world, or that they're a specific currency for the Crazy Hats store, where the levels have their own special power-ups for the hat in addition to normal power-ups, and the purple collectibles are what unlocks them.

Or it could be for the sake of collecting, but if that's the case why not a universal shape?

• Thumbs Up 5

There was a game in which, depending of the world you're playing, you collect different stuff, but it's just a cosmetic change, in the end it's just the same "coin"... And by God, I can't remember which game is this...

But hopefully, the different collectibles DO have something to do with the plot/progression.

39 minutes ago, Jango said:

There was a game in which, depending of the world you're playing, you collect different stuff, but it's just a cosmetic change, in the end it's just the same "coin"... And by God, I can't remember which game is this...

But hopefully, the different collectibles DO have something to do with the plot/progression.

DK64, and it was bananas, and they were different colors for different characters

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

DK64, and it was bananas, and they were different colors for different characters

Nah I don't think that's what they were referring to, they mean like the "collectibles" for each world were completely different objects, themed around that world, as seems to be the case with the purple collectibles here.  I feel like I have a game that did this on the tip of my mind's tongue too, just cannot think of what it was.

EDIT: I feel like maybe it was a mascot/licensed platformer from the 16-bit days?  This is gonna drive me crazy all day lol.

2 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Or it could be for the sake of collecting, but if that's the case why not a universal shape?

To be honest if each collectible had a unique but really satisfying noise when collected, that'd be justification enough for me.

• Thumbs Up 1