Awoo.

#Performancematters! Support your favorite VAs!

Klinsy

I have seen some of the voice actors I follow mention this on Facebook. It truly is a disaster that major game companies don't appreciate them nearly as much as they should. Ugh... It's hard enough for them as it is, seeing as some have to have a second job to make ends meet. 

4 hours ago, Sunlit Bastet said:

TV actors who work for the union are doing this too.

let me guess, Will Wheadon. right?

anyways, i'm all for a little better pay. but this doesn't effect me because i dislike a majority of voice actors who are associated with the dubs for Naruto/Bleach, or popular anime/japanese videogame dub actors like Laura Bailey/Kate Higgins/Ben Disken. who take up the voice acting of nearly anything these days, while lesser-knowns barely get any recognition, and former popular v.a like Rachael Lillis, get ignored from ever getting another popular role in their lives. despite moving to L.A recently.

EDIT: case in point, any lesser-known, or former popular va. is still gonna get the sharp edge of the stick, even if they happen to support this movement.

Edited by Fr0zenanus
minor edit.

12 hours ago, Fr0zenanus said:

let me guess, Will Wheadon. right?

anyways, i'm all for a little better pay. but this doesn't effect me because i dislike a majority of voice actors who are associated with the dubs for Naruto/Bleach, or popular anime/japanese videogame dub actors like Laura Bailey/Kate Higgins/Ben Disken. who take up the voice acting of nearly anything these days, while lesser-knowns barely get any recognition, and former popular v.a like Rachael Lillis, get ignored from ever getting another popular role in their lives. despite moving to L.A recently.

EDIT: case in point, any lesser-known, or former popular va. is still gonna get the sharp edge of the stick, even if they happen to support this movement.

Whew, bitter much?

Anyway, I saw the full list of games that are apparently being affected by this, and aside from Crash and Call of Duty it's stuff no one cares about. Based on that, I doubt this will be very effective in the long run.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ideally, the AAA video game industry should be hearing the demands of pretty much everyone working in the field. I do think that if this succeeds this opens the window of other creators in the industry to step up and demand better working conditions (especially since the AAA industry is a bad time when it comes to overtime hours and payment), and that voice actors are being pushed to do more fields of work like motion capture, so it's understandable. Best of luck to them.

• Thumbs Up 3

19 hours ago, Dizcrybe said:

Whew, bitter much?

Anyway, I saw the full list of games that are apparently being affected by this, and aside from Crash and Call of Duty it's stuff no one cares about. Based on that, I doubt this will be very effective in the long run.

how i'm i bitter just because i state my dislike towards Voice Actors, i heard for thousands and thousands of times?

please don't tell me, you frequently visit BTVAS.

This might sound like overkill, but I feel the game companies should be treating the actors like they are at a 11-star hotel, not the garbage way they are being given.

One thing is for sure, when my friend and I start hiring them for games, we will treat them with respect and kindness.

5 hours ago, Fr0zenanus said:

how i'm i bitter just because i state my dislike towards Voice Actors, i heard for thousands and thousands of times?

please don't tell me, you frequently visit BTVAS.

Besides the fact that part of your reasoning for hating them is because they eclipsed the careers of "lesser-knowns" and "former popular v.a.s"? It's like you're being jealous on their behalf.

And no, I don't. That white line doesn't hide the text.

8 hours ago, Dizcrybe said:

Besides the fact that part of your reasoning for hating them is because they eclipsed the careers of "lesser-knowns" and "former popular v.a.s"? It's like you're being jealous on their behalf.

And no, I don't. That white line doesn't hide the text.

well, it's because games (especially japanese ones) can't have this weird union. that has many of it's actors working in said union. have many roles as they can forever.

and i barely tried to mudsling the Voice Actors, all i said was. that i dislike them, and prefer hearing the actors i want to hear. please don't try to calculate that as pure-hate.

the line text is an joke btw.

2 minutes ago, Fr0zenanus said:

and i barely tried to mudsling the Voice Actors

I never said or even implied anything about mudslinging.

...this is getting off-topic.

As this Tweet points out, a lot of the problems are due to the contracts being made when video game voice acting was near non existent. 

It's like not letting a kid who wasn't able to ride the ride at a theme park due to his height when they were 5 still not ride after he has a major growth spurt when he is 17, times have changed, we need a update.

i say the first tweet response has an point there, 

but i thought the whole voice acting contract situation. was updated two years later, in 1996.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.sagaftra.org/files/struck_video_game_productions_list_0.pdf

It is with a very heavy heart that I report which games will be affected by this. :(

Some of the games you are looking forward to will probably not be recorded unless the companies start treating the actors like VIPs.

The remaster of Crash Bandicoot, Kingdom Hearts 2.8, Team Fortress 2 and some Legos are going to be affected by the strike.

So, I'm still a little bit confused on how this'll affect older games like TF2. Does this mean they're simply no longer recording new lines, or are they gonna be removing the characters' voices completely?

Seeing Injustice 2, KH2.8 and the Crash remasters on that list does upset me. As for the others, the vagueness of game titles leaves me scratching my head, wondering what they are. I can at least assume that 'Lego Marvel 2' means LEGO Avengers, right?

54 minutes ago, Captain Metallix said:

So, I'm still a little bit confused on how this'll affect older games like TF2. Does this mean they're simply no longer recording new lines, or are they gonna be removing the characters' voices completely?

They're most likely just not going to record new lines. Their prior recordings belong to the company that makes the game and last I checked, voice actors don't get royalties, so they wouldn't be able to force companies to remove voices from games that have already been fully acted. Besides, because taking away files the computer was expecting to have can potentially create a programming nightmare, most companies would reprogram the game never to play the voices instead of outright deleting them from the games' files-- meaning that a crafty fan can just restore the audio in a mod. And this all assumes that this is a computer that plays nice with patches-- some consoles, like the Nintendo DS, can't accept online patches at all.

In short, its pointless to request companies to remove voices from old game, and even if voice actors did have the authority to force such a thing, most companies would take the simpler (and legal) path of just taking down or halting production for the affected games.

-----

But yeah, I think its ridiculous how underappreciated voice actors are. They basically define the lines of games-- a bad voice actor can ruin a good character and good dialogue. On the flipside, a good voice actor can salvage badly written characters or dialogue-- from a personal perspective, I don't think I could tolerate or find any humor Boom!Knux if it weren't for Travis Willingham's standout performance for the guy. And whoever said that nobody cares about the voices-- to one of the most popular and prolific voice actors, no less -- is very, very dumb and ignorant. We definitely need to be supporting our voice actors better-- or at least giving them more pay.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Captain Metallix said:

Seeing Injustice 2, KH2.8 and the Crash remasters on that list does upset me. As for the others, the vagueness of game titles leaves me scratching my head, wondering what they are. I can at least assume that 'Lego Marvel 2' means LEGO Avengers, right?

If I understand, sometimes game companies will use working titles when giving auditions, before the final name is officially decided.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2016 at 2:47 PM, KHCast said:

I thought 2.8 already recorded most of the stuff though. Damn. Hopefully this doesn't result in more delays.

Doubtful. Disney will just replace whoever is striking. Shame to say that, but it's not like cartoon companies give a shit either. As for how this is handled, I'm still not exactly sure how much money the voice actors want for these projects. A better chunk of the initial pie seems very reasonable but if they're demanding The Simpsons treatment they're going to end up making no headway. Just for the record "The Simpsons treatment" is 300,000 to 400,000 dollars per actor per production (as in per episode with, so in games cases it'd be per game which isn't nearly as MUCH but no one is going to pay most voice actors 400,000 dollars per gig).

2 hours ago, Conando said:

Doubtful. Disney will just replace whoever is striking. Shame to say that, but it's not like cartoon companies give a shit either. As for how this is handled, I'm still not exactly sure how much money the voice actors want for these projects. A better chunk of the initial pie seems very reasonable but if they're demanding The Simpsons treatment they're going to end up making no headway. Just for the record "The Simpsons treatment" is 300,000 to 400,000 dollars per actor per production (as in per episode with, so in games cases it'd be per game which isn't nearly as MUCH but no one is going to pay most voice actors 400,000 dollars per gig).

I completely agree with you on the Simpsons voice actors. They are being way too greedy with it.

From what I understand is that the union wants resuduals, which is part of The Simpsons treatment. Publishers will never play ball with that. They need to focus on better pay per job and increasing comfort as to not overwork the actors' voices, which I believe some are offering, but getting rejected because residuals are off the table.