Awoo.

Sonic Utopia

PickleBrows

Hm, interesting to see how many little touches they used to keep the player oriented. None of those things I noticed consciously, but I didn't have much trouble keeping myself pointed in the right direction so I guess I was picking some of them up subconsciously, so they worked exactly as intended.

• Thumbs Up 7

Those subtle visual cues are really interesting. Makes me want to pay attention not only in future levels of this project, but games in general--just to see how they go about doing that sort of thing, if at all.

Also, yeah, I figured the "actual" levels in this game would be less open, this definitely felt more like a proof of concept demo.

Looks like a case where being too subtle made things unnoticable for many.

They might want to add more to the levels to guide players to the direction if that's the case. Or reduce the size somewhat.

I can't say I had any issues in terms of knowing where I needed to go. Since I haven't memorised the level I don't always know specifically where I'm going to end up next when I'm exploring (I enjoy the mystery in all honesty) but the moment I decide to start making progress towards the goal it's plain to me which direction I should be heading.

The level is certainly very open, but all of its winding geometry is contained within the 'bowl' that's formed by the two large walls at either side of the map. Apart from the couple of hidden areas, there's never really a time where you aren't able to see those two walls and so you know that, as long as you aren't running straight towards one of the walls, you're making progress.

I notice that the game doesn't really make you run uphill too often. There's plenty of slopes for you to roll down as you travel though so on the off-chance you unknowingly do a 180 and start heading back to the start, the abundance of uphill slopes, along with the other examples listed above should be enough to indicate that you need to turn around.

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2018 at 3:16 PM, ClassicKnuckles said:

Sorry for the necropost, but is this still active? Are they still planning on continuing this?

They're still working on it. What we've seen so far is little more than a technical demo - it's just a working concept. I wouldn't expect to hear much more until significant progress has been made, which could take years. Fan games like this a a huge undertaking. 

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

They're still working on it. What we've seen so far is little more than a technical demo - it's just a working concept. I wouldn't expect to hear much more until significant progress has been made, which could take years. Fan games like this a a huge undertaking. 

Indeed. I mean 2D ones usually take ages. 3D ones? Those will take forever. I don't think I've ever seen a complete 3D fangame...

I've talked a little with MurasakiFox (the programmer of the game) and she says that there'll be a demo for SAGE 2018, with some new things in it that currently can't be talked about. In the meantime, get hype. Time for the fans to take the reins and keep bringing the good times. Between this and Sonic Islands, expect great things, guys.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

19 hours ago, Scar said:

Indeed. I mean 2D ones usually take ages. 3D ones? Those will take forever. I don't think I've ever seen a complete 3D fangame...

Sonic World R8?

Almost a year later, I still don't see what's so special about Utopia. It feels just like a patched SA1 Sonic without the glitches.

13 hours ago, Korke said:

Almost a year later, I still don't see what's so special about Utopia. It feels just like a patched SA1 Sonic without the glitches.

...so the best iteration of actual 3D Sonic-y gameplay in a polished form and true to the classic aesthetics and design?

You might think it's a patched SA1 without the glitches, but it actually goes much further than that and expands on Sonic's moveset in a way none of the official games ever did.

It doesn't even feel as good as SA1, actually. Sonic's air control is really limited, and he can't take sharp turns or brake particularly well by comparison.

On 1/18/2018 at 2:38 PM, Korke said:

Me neither... I don't understand why people think this is good, and I hate it when "Sonic Fans" say "lol oh my god 3d boost sonic is trash cuz sonic utopia is better!". I hate how people use this to "justify" that boost (and 3D Sonic games in general) is trash.

6 hours ago, ClassicKnuckles said:

Me neither... I don't understand why people think this is good, and I hate it when "Sonic Fans" say "lol oh my god 3d boost sonic is trash cuz sonic utopia is better!". I hate how people use this to "justify" that boost (and 3D Sonic games in general) is trash.

Don't get me wrong, I did have a good time playing this, it feels kinda like how SA1 could had been if the right numbers were set in the varies.

My only complaint was how the colors and the terrain were set. It gave me headaches, especially when running at high speed.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:53 AM, ClassicKnuckles said:

Sonic World R8?

Not to put down what it did but sonic world doesn't really do all that much in terms of its level design and about the only real notes of progression that game ever really had was just adding more characters.

• 11 months later...

@Detective KaitoAccording to Lange in that same tweet above, he said that there should be a demo coming our way before the full release, too. With 2 zones even (The full game apparently coming with 6 zones to run through).

Just the right type of news I wanted to hear to get my day started.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/27/2016 at 6:19 AM, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Figured out the problem on my end

What was the problem, I'm getting it too and have no idea how to solve it. I've tried rebinding the controls and have no controllers plugged in, only keyboard and mouse.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Over 5 years later, still hyped.

A couple of years ago, The Great Lange shared a few things from Utopia's development, in a long Twitter thread. Didn't see anyone posting it here yet.