Awoo.

What Would You Rate Each Sonic Game?

Nightly

I thought it'd be interesting to see how everyone would personally rate each Sonic game they've played on a scale from one to ten. You can elaborate on why you rated them the way you did, but don't feel inclined to if you don't feel like it. Also I want to reiterate that none of these scores should be seen as "objective". There is no objectively "best" and "worst" game, the quality of a game is totally dependent on the individual, how much they value certain aspects of a game, and what they consider good and bad game design.

With all that said, I'll start off with my list mostly only really rating games that I've played within the past few years.

• Sonic 3 & Knuckles: 10/10
  • Sonic 2: 9/10
  • Sonic Generations: 8/10
  • Sonic Rush: 8/10
  • Sonic 1: 7.5/10
  • Sonic Colours: 7/10
  • Sonic Unleashed: 7/10
  • Sonic Adventure: 6.5/10
  • Sonic Heroes: 6/10
  • Sonic Adventure 2: 5/10
  • Sonic Spinball: 5/10
  • Sonic CD: 4/10
  • Sonic 3D Blast: 4/10
  • Sonic 4 Ep 2: 4/10
  • Sonic Lost World: 3.5/10
  • Sonic 4 Ep 1: 3/10
  • Shadow the Hedgehog: 2/10
  • Sonic 06: 1/10

If anyone wants to know why I rated certain games the way I did, feel free to ask and I'll gladly elaborate.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

I put my games in tiers (Unleashed has been split into day and night, so people don't whine that it got put in the Average category):

Best: Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles, Colours, CD.

Very Good: Adventure 1 & 2, Unleashed (day), Generations, Sonic 1, Rush (Adventure), Advance.

Good: Heroes, Lost World (WiiU), Sonic 4 Episode 1 & 2.

Average: 3D Blast, Secret Rings, Black Knight, Spinball.

Shit: 06, Unleashed (night), Lost World (3DS)

Steaming pile of dog shit: Boom Rise of Lyric & Shattered Crystal, Shadow, Free Riders.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok, I'll bite - in vaguely release order, only stuff I've played.

Sonic 1 - 7/10 (Everything's there, just... not quite right)

Sonic 2 - 9.5/10 (Masterpiece, imo)

Sonic 3&K - 8/10 (As good as Sonic 2, but with overly long levels, crappy special stages, and a few other problems making it not my fave).

Sonic CD - 7/10 (A nice spin on Sonic 1, but I'd hesitate to call it more fun, or better)

Sonic 3D Blast - 2/10 (Nauseating to play, poor slippery controls, isometric sprites look crap, only a few good songs on the (Megadrive) OST, rubbish)

Sonic Spinball -  3/10 (It's a game for somebody. That somebody isn't me. 3 poiints for Toxic Caves being a stonecold jam)

Knuckles Chaotix - 4/10 (A nice idea, shame about the absolute lack of challenge or exploration of that idea. Too long, nothing to do)

Sonic R - 5/10 (Astounding and best game ever of my childhood in theory, clunky and short in practice. Soundtrack is dope as hell, mind, but last time I tried playing it I couldn't get on with it at all)

Sonic Adventure - 8/10 (Has aged poorly, but the word to use is 'charming', I think. Sort of dopily grins through its problems,and the basic gameplay is fun enough to excuse some of the presentation, or Big and Gamma's presence)

Sonic Adventure 2 - 7.5/10 (Takes great strides ahead from SA1, only to make some regrettable steps backward. Most heinous crime is either forcing you to play levels you don't want to in the story, or bringing back mech gameplay, because Gamma was everybodies favourite, only to make it slower and insanely platform heavy.)

Sonic Heroes - 4/10 (Oh dear. A nice idea, with lazy level design, and the requirement to play the entire game 4 times with no variation in level order or anything else destroying any goodwill that idea engendered in the first place. Also, the voice acting is absolutely dreadful. Also, Charmy fucking Bee.)

Shadow The Hedgehog - I REJECT YOUR ARBITRARY RANKING SYSTEM, THIS IS WHO I AM/10 (I loved this game when i was a teenager, which I am so ashamed of. For a game with such hilarious nonsense in it, it's so unfunny. At least SA2 had a sense of humour about it. But everything in this game is murky, boring, slippery garbage, taking Heroes' worst game mode and making it even worse. Also, Charmy fucking Bee.)

Sonic Advances - 7/10, 7.5/10, 4/10 (Didn't get much time with any of these, sadly, but I had the most fun with 2, the least with 3, and 1 was a pleasant way to waste an afternoon)

Sonic 06 - 1.5/10 (I gave it a point because, honestly, this game is hilarious after a drink, but in any other situation it is risible. I also gave it half a point because it doesn't have Charmy fucking Bee in it)

Sonic Chronicles - 1/10 (At least Sonic 06 has made me laugh)

Sonic Rush - 8/10 (When I succeed at doing things in this game, I feel like the coolest motherfucker on earth, also Hideki Naganuma is jesus. Even when you do poorly, this game is a lot of fun, and instinctively thrilling)

Sonic Rush Adventure - 6/10 (The song remains the same, and I even don't mind the boat minigames, but the cutscenes destroy any feeling of pace or levity or joy or even reward for beating a level. Also, Sonic can get Tails to build a giant Sonic statue on the island)

Sonic UnWiished - 3/10 (Everything in this game works in conflict with everything else. Fundamentally misjudged)

Sonic Unleashed - 6/10 (What's good is the best Sonic's been since Adventure 2, what's bad is derivative and dull. Insane replay value of day stages gives it an extra point for me)

Sonic & All Stars Racing - 7/10 (Functionally amazing, addictive racer, that you can't help shake the nagging doubt in your mind that you really should have bought a console that can play Mario Kart instead)

Sonic Colours 8/10 (Smartly designed, visually striking, fun, Sonic's a complete dork, encourages repeat play, but controls still aren't quite there yet, and some gameplay decisions don't work. Actually the best that Sonic's been since Adventure 2, taken as a whole) 

Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed - 7.5/10 (Functionally amazing, addictive racer, that you can't shake the nagging doubt in your mind that you should buy an N64 off ebay and play Diddy Kong Racing instead, which I played way more than Mario Kart, hence the extra half point.)

Sonic 4 Ep 1 - 4.5/10 (I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. Feels, to all intents and purposes, like a bootleg Sonic knockoff.)  

Sonic Generations - 8.5/10 (Fuck. yes. Hits right in the endorphins, has only really two dodgy things in an entire game, and whilst the game is short, mod support is a lifesaver. Docked a point for Charmy fucking Bee, but Vector rescues half a point with his utterly absurd challenge. On the whole, satisfying and plays like a joy)

Sonic 4 Ep 2 - 6/10 (I guess they fixed some of it, and visually it's pretty impressive, but enough of the problems of Ep 1 exist to not really be thrilled by it)

Sonic Lost World - 5.5/10 (Oh dear. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, this one. Weird controls, unexplained mechanics, writing that literally depresses me, repeated level designs. Gets by on dope score, some charming moments and set pieces, and the sheer joy in kicking the shit out of the Deadly Six. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Spoiler

I havn't played a lot of Sonic games since chilhood yet, but I can remember most of them well. Subject to change when I replay a few of them. I also havn't played some Sonic games. No, none of my scores are based on nostalgia (I never played SA2B as a child for example). 

For some games, I'll seperate my scores into enjoyment and what I actually think they deserve if I think there's a significant/important difference between them.

• Sonic 1: 7/10
    Sonic 2: 8/10
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles: 8.5/10
    Sonic CD: 9/10
    Sonic Advance: 8.5/10 (Enjoyment 7.5/10)
    Sonic Advance 2: 8.5/10
    Sonic Advance 3: 7.5/10
    Sonic Rush: 9/10 (Enjoyment 10/10). Favourite (and best) 2D Sonic game IMO. 
    Sonic Rush Adventure: 8.5/10 
    Sonic 4 Ep 1: 5/10

• Sonic 3D Blast: 5/10
  • Sonic Adventure: 6.5/10 (Enjoyment 8/10)
  • Sonic Adventure 2: 7.5/10 (Enjoyment 9.5/10)
  • Sonic Heroes: 7/10
  • Shadow the Hedgehog: 4/10 (Enjoyment 8/10)
  • Sonic and the Secret Rings: 6/10
  • Sonic and the Black Knights: 6/10
  • Sonic Colours: 8/10

• Sonic Spinball: 7/10
  • Sonic Labyrenth: 3/10
  • Sonic R: 4/10
  • Sonic Battle: 6.5/10 (Enjoyment 8/10) 
  • Sonic Chronicles: 6.5/10 
  • Sonic All-stars Racing Transformed: 8/10
  • Thumbs Up 1

Like Sir Laptop, tiers are more my thing.

Favorites: Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Rush, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed

They're Alright: Sonic Adventure 2 (only really liked Sonic/Shadow levels), Sonic 1, Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Heroes, Sonic R (honestly, it's only here cuz of the soundtrack)

Meh: Everything Else

Never Played: All the Boom Games, Lost World

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 1: 8/10
    Sonic 2: 8/10
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles: 9/10 *only with original mj boss track otherwise a 7
    Sonic CD: 7/10
    Sonic Advance: 6.5/10
    Sonic Advance 2: 6.5/10
    Sonic Advance 3: 6/10
    Sonic Rush: 6.5/10
    Sonic Rush Adventure: 6/10
    Sonic 4 Ep 1: 5.5/10

Sonic 3D Blast: 5.5/10
    Sonic Adventure: 8/10
    Sonic Adventure 2: 8/10
    Sonic Heroes: 6/10
    Shadow the Hedgehog: 7/10
    Sonic and the Secret Rings: 6/10
    Sonic and the Black Knights: 6.5/10
    Sonic Colours: 6.5/10

Sonic Spinball: 5.5/10
    Sonic Labyrenth: 5/10
    Sonic R: 8/10
    Sonic Battle: 9/10
    Sonic Chronicles: 7.5/10
    Sonic All-stars Racing 10/10

Sonic 06: 8/10

• Thumbs Up 1

These are just the ones that I've played. Bearing in mind, I consider a 5 to be average instead of terrible so they might seem a bit strict especially when it comes to one fan favorite game however I do consider a 6/10 to be good rather than above average.

Mainline Sonic games:

Sonic 1 - 8/10 (8.5/10 for Taxman version) A start of a mixed to great series and started quite well. Fantastic music, good level design and good graphics making it the reasons why I still play Sonic 1 to this day. What I like is that it is more platform focused but it is jarring that you have fast stage, slow stage then fast stage again. Just a couple of annoying issues in the game prevent it from being higher such as the jump bug and the special stage could have been smoother scaling that luckily the Taxman version fixes them.
Sonic 2 - 9/10 Fixes what's wrong with Sonic 1 due to having better flow of the games thanks to streamlining the platforming to work with Sonic's strength, better special stage but still has what made Sonic 1 great with more levels. Sky Chase prevents it from having the highest score due to being dull.
Sonic CD - 8/10 (8.5/10 for Taxman version) Great animation, good level design mostly and excellent music for both versions. Fantastic special stage and one of my favorites of the series. For some reason, it feels more stable than the Mega Drive Sonic games as in less bugs, must be due to the different programmer. There are a few problems though; object placement is off as it displays objects for all 4 variations of the levels but only a couple can be reached so you can see rings that are stuck on the level that you can't collect, spin dash isn't as useful, physics are slightly off but not enough to ruin enjoyment and mixed opinions regarding Wacky Workbench as in a good idea in paper but could have done better however I don't hate the level like many people. Taxman version fixed the few issues such as the spin dash and the physics, hence the extra half a point.
Sonic 3 & Knuckles - 6/10 (6.5 for Sonic 3 Complete hack) Has great controls, choice of characters and good music but the rest let me down from really long levels with some being annoying to play and a couple are even boring, downgraded graphics to unenjoyable special stages and some bugs that lowers my enjoyment of the game. The extra half a point of the hack fixes most of the bugs and has the option for the better Sonic 1/2 sprites but doesn't improve the rest.

Sonic Adventure - 6.5/10 Back in the day, it would have got a higher score but not that much more. It has a charm to it for an early Sonic 3D based game that none of the later 3D games have so while it isn't as polished that it could have been, it isn't super buggy and any glitches were usually good ones like other characters getting into other levels however it does have a couple of control issues and falling through levels. It has off beat voice acting, decent characterisations even though I'm not an Amy Rose fan and some memorable lines, the style isn't too gritty or light hearted but rather a good balance. Some great music and decent graphics. It had some variety where each part felt different. Really like the Sonic/Tails stages since while different to the other games felt fitting for the character, Knuckles weren't too bad and felt like an explorer. Big isn't too bad either since it is a demo of Sega Bass Fishing, a guilty pleasure. Also quite liked the boss battles.

Sonic Adventure 2 - 5/10 A mixed bag and started to feel a decline in the series so while I did have a decent time playing and enjoyed it, it could have been a bit better. The Sonic/Shadow stages while are the best of the 3 have issues. First stage was great especially the music but the later ones started to get annoying especially by Final Rush due to an issue that I go on later on. Tails/Eggman just can't remember them but Knuckles/Rouge ones have cheesy music and a level design issues where Pumpkin Hill was fitting and tighter due to platforming segments but Meteor Herd/Mad Space felt like a large sandbox with not much there. It dragged on and on until you found the emerald due to a weaker detector so it went from a good bit of exploring to I better find the emerald part soon and want it done. Story is also a mixed bag as it was a decent story however I wasn't keen on the tone. It has a few annoying control issues such as jumping turns into a homing attack and you die as well as rail collision/collision detection issues.

Sonic Heroes - 3/10 It is a game that has the heart in the right place but the execution is terrible. While it has some good music and like the light hearted style; it has annoying cutscenes/dialogue, over glossy main character graphics that make it look a bit ugly, annoying character switching that while is the main part of the game should have handled better and from memory level design issues with some such as Bingo Highway. Also it feel repetitive as there isn't much difference between the teams (Sonic = Normal, Dark = Harder, Rose = Easier) apart from Chaotix so playing it 4 times is a bit much. Plus it is buggy, buggy and more buggy. Lost count how many times that I died from normal gameplay due to jumping problems, camera issues and falling through platforms/rails. This was the game that put me off the main Sonic series until Generations due to how disappointed I was.

Sonic Unleashed - 8/10 While I might not love it like many people here who consider it their favorite however it is a strong like. Has fantastic graphics that held up really high and great music. The day time levels are great and the night time levels while a bit long are and controlled well. Most annoying part for me are the QTE boss battles that put me off until I had a more responsive TV to clear them and that a couple of parts didn't seem as polished as the rest of the game such as Empire City or Jungle Joyride like the console couldn't cope but way more polished compared to the previous 3D Sonic games as in that I didn't fall through the ground once and most of the time, when I died it was my fault. Story was actually good balancing between the lighter and darker moments, sometimes literally but after one playthrough it doesn't hold up as well. Plenty of content. Was actually surprised since it was known to be decent but had a better time playing than I thought.

Sonic Colours - 8/10 Good, great, but not quite amazing. I quite like the light hearted tone of this game and the cutscenes are entertaining. Great controls, good graphics considering the Wii and very nice level design. Like Unleashed onwards, the game is solid enough so poor play is my fault rather than an issue of the game and performance is good. The Wisp gimmick fits in well as well. I can't remember the issues with this game but I had fun.

Sonic Generations - 8.5/10 The game that got me back into the main Sonic series after Heroes. Both Sonics are great to play. Graphics while in a different style to Unleashed are still great looking and seems to be performing better with no issues. Good music, well remixes, great level design as in that they were inspired by the levels but not copy and pasted and most of the boss battles were all right. Classic Sonic does seem heavier like he did in CD though. Only thing really preventing me from a higher score is that it was a fun ride but just too short and could have done with an extra level as well as the Time Eater seemed rushed and was mainly boosting through.

Sonic Lost World - 6/10 I actually like this game, it's just some issues preventing me from a higher score. It has a great graphical style and choice of enemies, multiple ways of playing a level giving plenty of choice and good music. Bosses are okay and so are the cutscenes. Making it worse are a couple of control niggles, level design gets worse from Frozen Factory onwards and the parkour doesn't work as easily as some other games (e.g. Prince of Persia Sands of Time). Just needed a bit more polish past the half way mark.

Alternative Sonic platformers:

These ones aren't the ones that Sonic Team were involved with so they are 8 bit games and the handheld/Dimps games.

Sonic 1 - 7/10 More no frills than the other Sonic games but just as fun for me since it is still a decent platformer with decent controls. Great music, good level design and decent graphics. Just that the dodgy collision detection lets it down making it more frustrating that it can be.

Sonic 2 - (7.5/10 for Master System version, 3/10 for Game Gear version) Improves the first 8 bit game with more Sonic touches and much better graphics, slightly better collision detection but still has the good music and level design. Has an unusual first zone that I like. Only issue for me seems to be the harder difficulty level even when compared to the classics and getting the emeralds is more luck than skill. (This and Spinball are the only two that I haven't beaten due to difficulty) The cropped screen lets down the Game Gear version making it really hard to see where you are going and makes it much harder than it should be unlike the first game where it was at least sort of adapted.

Sonic Chaos - 5/10 It just feels dull in terms of the levels except Gigalopolis and the graphics seem more desaturated especially the sprites that I'm not keen on. Music is decent, decent controls and slightly better collision detection. It's okay in its purest form.

Sonic Triple Trouble - 9/10 While this might be my favorite Sonic game, it is the Game Gear itself that is preventing me from the highest score. Great graphics, good level design with no annoying issues, plenty of moves, fantastic choice of main bosses making it like CD + 3&K + Fang, good music for the hardware, great special stages and really fitting level gimmicks that are unique to the game (mostly). Only problem is the slowdown but it can't be helped considering the hardware.

Sonic Blast - 2/10 Oh dear, oh dear. Ugly graphics, a broken engine where Sonic can't even go through a loop if you jump, depth perception problems and depressing music. Also disappointing coming from Triple Trouble. Only reason why I have gave it 2 was mainly because of a choice of Knuckles who has his moves.

Sonic Advance - 8/10 Love the multiple character choice but not Amy and has a nifty graphical style. Good controls, physics and level design being one of the strongest of the Dimps games. Enjoyable bosses. Not keen on the depth perception issues of the special stage. Music is okay but could be better with only a few good tracks and most of those were from Sonic 1.

Sonic Rush - 8/10 Has fantastic music, good controls and mechanics, good characters with Blaze being a good addition to the series. Level design is a bit more streamline more so than Sonic 2 but it fits with this style of game. Only issue is sometimes I die into a bottomless pit because I'm going too fast to react but it is more my fault than the game. Said bottomless pits sometimes took quite a bit of space on a level.

Sonic Rush Adventure - 8/10 Music is still just as good as the first game even though it is in a different style. I really liked the special stage options, well not quite special stages but more variety to live up the game. Not keen on Marine though. As for the level design, they are slightly better with less bottomless pits. The issue with the previous game is still there though. Everything else is like the first game, just with more cutscenes.

Sonic Unleashed - 3.5/10 What happened to the Wii version? Unskippable cutscenes for the 1st half of the game and then switches to cheap dialogue text. The daytime levels are just too short and there's only a few in the game, padded with missions from the same level to get a bit more use of them. The night time stages aren't too bad. Some levels whether as Sonic or Werehog are a bit annoying making it more like trial and error. Relating to that it is very skinny when it comes to lives as in you really have to do a lot just to get more than the default 2 and some levels really do go through them especially Eggmanland so it is Game Over after Game Over. Graphics could also be a bit better as well looking much duller especially on the Werehog stages. Controls are actually decent considering the Wii is really hit and miss regarding this (either it works or is broken) however they could also be much better as well especially when it comes to shopping trolley Sonic where he is really hard to control and sometimes the lock on doesn't show for the Werehog. At least it still has the same great music as the HD version.

Sonic Colours - 7.5/10 It still has what made the Rush series great with Wisps. Like the main game, it has some good music and done well for the DS. For some reason it isn't as rememberable as the previous Rush games or the main game itself. It has less characters to choose from (just Sonic now) and mixed regarding the extended cast hosting the missions. It also doesn't seem as polished hence the lower score but still enjoying the game.

Sonic 4 Episode 1 - 4.5/10 In two minds, in one as in that it has a heart, some good composition in terms of the songs and a great replica of Cameltry for the special stages. On the other hand it has poor physics, handholding level design as in homing attack enemies to get past and the instruments aren't great. It also doesn't feel original with the levels being rips off of Sonic 1 and 2 with the card level being the most innovative of the lot. Graphics are mixed as in great style but iffy and cheap looking execution. It just feels like a low budget game or even a bootleg rather than coming from Sega/Dimps, it doesn't even feel like it came from the latter either.
Sonic 4 Episode 2 - 4/10 While it has better graphics and slightly better physics than the first part, it has some other issues. The level design went the other direction and some parts feels like completing is from luck rather than skill due to placement issues. Music has slightly better instruments apart from the Desert level, most of it feels more bland except the Stardust Speedway remix and the final boss.

Sonic Generations - 6/10 A functional Sonic game but half the game just feels too recycled, literally taking the original level designs and slapped them on. The gameplay feels solid enough, graphics are decent too for an early 3DS game and is one of the easiest ones that I've played so lesser replay value.

While it is too early to judge, Sonic Mania looks like between a 7 and an 8 at the moment (8 at reveal, 7 when Taxman mentioned more recycled zones).

Spinoffs:

I consider Sega Superstars Tennis to be part of this since it is the same developer as the Sonic All-Stars Racing series and Sonic is there front and center on the box art.

Sonic's Edusoft - 5/10 One of the few who have played this game and while it isn't released, it is pretty much complete enough. Decent to good graphics apart from Sonic's sprite in the hub where it is a bit iffy, decent music that while not Sonic like is fitting for the type of game it is and the questions seemed fine for learning. For an edutainment game, it is actually one of the better ones since it is balancing learning with fun and often it is one or the other. The mini games needed some work. The balloon shoot is broken. The Marble trampoline is easy to get a Game Over due to the position of between Sonic and the trampoline. Sonic is also too fast and his sprite is pretty big in the Green Hill mini game making hard to react.

Sonic Drift - 4/10 Graphics are colorful and runs decently enough. Music is repetitive, characters don't make much difference and there isn't much difficulty so the game ends quick. It feels like a ROM hack of the 8 bit Super Monaco GP game with a power up included.

Sonic Spinball (16 bit) - 4/10 While I do like pinball, it isn't a good pinball game due to unrealiable physics and iffy frame rate (both not good for the genre) that lowers the score quite a lot. Saying that, graphics are hit and miss with some parts looking better than others with the style that matches the grungey look, the boards have variety with each one feeling different and music is okay. The minigames were good though and seem to not suffer as much problems as the main game. I personally feel a remake would fix some of the issues and perhaps make it a better game.

Sonic Labyrinth - 4/10 It isn't as bad to me as people say it is but as a Sonic game, it is unfitting. Graphics and music are actually quite good and there is some variation of the levels. It's just the speed being really slow and a clunky spindash to make it more Sonicy makes it longer than it should be and has the usual poor isometric controls.

Sonic the Fighters - 6/10 I consider the game a novelty tech demo rather than a serious game, if it was serious it would get a lower score considering this is AM2 of all developers who worked on the game. It has great graphics and has great facial expressions (very rare to see a game having a pure cartoony look that even lighthearted cartoony based games don't have). As it is a novelty, it is just something to play for a quick go but not enough to play for a while like many fighting games.

Sonic 3D - 4/10 It had a nice idea being a sequel to Flicky but it doesn't really work as a Sonic game due to the slower pace. Graphically it is mixed with some parts of the level being better than others, Sonic looks iffy. Controls decently for an isometric game though that is usually one of the weakest regarding the style. Music is decent for both versions. Sadly it just gets boring after Diamond Dust and have not completed the game.

Sonic R - 6/10 I actually really enjoy playing this game since it has great graphical style, courses with plenty of paths and cheesy yet loveable soundtrack that takes me back to the 90s. Just lack of replayablity after Super Sonic is unlocked putting it down as well as balancing issues (really hard to complete/impossible with Amy or Eggman, easy with Sonic/Knuckles and super easy with Super Sonic).

Sonic Riders - 5/10 Graphically great especially the cutscenes. It also feels polished and strangely feels a non-Sega like game especially the music that gives me more a Namco touch. Sadly the control scheme lets it down making it very hard to play like the Gun Valkyrie of Sonic games, if it wasn't for that it would be much higher.

Sonic Rivals - 4/10 Pretty dull both the level design and graphically, poor presentation, very short and lack of replay value. Most of the music is repetitive, generic and bland with only the first level and Sky Park having anything decent. It doesn't seemed polished enough. It feels like it was made quickly so the PSP players have a Sonic game to play.

Sega Superstars Tennis - 7/10 A great Sumo Digital game based on the Virtua Tennis engine, most likely a tech demo of their VT 2009 so it has simple but addictive gameplay with good graphics [except the DS version having Commodore 64 style Eggman], fitting music and well playing minigames some that are really faithful towards the games that they are based off however there isn't as much content as the main Virtua Tennis games themselves due to no career mode.

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing 7.5/10 - It's no OutRun 2006 even though it is an enjoyable racing game from Sumo Digital.
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed 8/10 - Still no OutRun 2006 even if it does have a stage inspired by it, still enjoyable though. Roster is a mixed bag with some good choices and ones that are obviously for marketing purposes that I don't like to play. What makes it a higher score is due to more content and originally composed music.

The ones that I consider N/A are Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06, Sonic Storybook, Sonic Chronicles and the Sonic Boom games. Not just because I haven't played them apart from a demo of Shattered Crystal but also they just don't interest me and personally consider them too poor in gaming quality to even give them a try due to either the bugs, glitches, gameplay ideas that don't work very well, control issues, the nonsensical story aspects of the games or all of them. If I played them, they would only get low scores anyway. Apart from Fire and Ice that is considered to be a decent game however there is no interest for me in the Boom series apart from perhaps the cartoon.

• Thumbs Up 1

A'ight, I'll go off the mainline games and basically convert my tier list for this:

Sonic 1: 8.5/10

Sonic 2: 7/10

Sonic 3&K: 9.5/10

Sonic 4 E1/E2: 5/10

Sonic CD: 8.5/10

Sonic Adventure: 9/10

Sonic Adventure 2: 6/10

Sonic Heroes: 2/10

Shadow the Hedgehog: 2/10

Sonic 06: 4/10

Sonic Unleashed HD: 8/10

Sonic Unleashed Wii: Can I rate in negative numbers? Please?

Sonic Colours: 6/10

Sonic Generations: 8.5/10

Sonic Lost World: 5/10

• Thumbs Up 2

• Sonic Unleashed: 9/10
  • Sonic Generations: 8.5/10 (would be a perfect 10 if the story wasn't such shit)
  • Sonic Rush: 8.5/10
  • Sonic Adventure: 8/10
  • Sonic Adventure 2: 8/10
  • Sonic and the Black Knight: 7.5/10
  • Sonic Colors: 7.5/10
  • Sonic Riders Zero Gravity: 7.5/10
  • Sonic 4 Ep 2: 7/10
  • Sonic CD: 7/10
  • Sonic Unleashed Wii: 6.5/10
  • Sonic and the Secret Rings: 6/10
  • Sonic Lost World: 5.5/10
  • Sonic 4 Ep 1: 5/10
  • Sonic Heroes: 4.5/10
  • Sonic Free Riders: 4/10
  • Shadow the Hedgehog: 3/10
  • Sonic 06: 2/10
  • Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric: 1.5/10
  • Sonic Labyrinth: 1/10

Feel like I might have made some enemies with this...

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll do it in tiers, because Idk what to rate the games, lol.

Spoiler

I Like: 

Sonic Adventure 1, Sonic 2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Finally getting in to it.) Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, Sonic Lost World, Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Riders, Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, Tails' Adventure

I'm meh towards:

Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic 3D Blast, the Advance games, Sonic Rivals 1 and 2, Sonic 4: Episode 1 and 2, Sonic 1, all the Game Gear titles (except Tails' Adventure), Sonic CD

I Dislike:

Sonic Spinball and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.

Haven't played (either never did, or haven't played in years)

Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06, Sonic Rush, Sonic and the Secret Rings (I remember liking it, though), Sonic & the Black Knight, Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal, Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice, Sonic R, Sonic Shuffle, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Free Riders

So far, the only Sonic games I dislike were Sonic Spinball, and Boom: Rise of Lyric, and I honestly didn't hate them. Just didn't like them very much. The rest I didn't really care for or I actually liked (although some are guilty pleasures).

Then again, I tend not to be hateful towards things, so maybe I'm just too generous with them, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Strickerx5 said:
  • Sonic Unleashed: 9/10
  • Sonic Generations: 8.5/10 (would be a perfect 10 if the story wasn't such shit)
  • Sonic Rush: 8.5/10
  • Sonic Adventure: 8/10
  • Sonic Adventure 2: 8/10
  • Sonic and the Black Knight: 7.5/10
  • Sonic Colors: 7.5/10
  • Sonic Riders Zero Gravity: 7.5/10
  • Sonic 4 Ep 2: 7/10
  • Sonic CD: 7/10
  • Sonic Unleashed Wii: 6.5/10
  • Sonic and the Secret Rings: 6/10
  • Sonic Lost World: 5.5/10
  • Sonic 4 Ep 1: 5/10
  • Sonic Heroes: 4.5/10
  • Sonic Free Riders: 4/10
  • Shadow the Hedgehog: 3/10
  • Sonic 06: 2/10
  • Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric: 1.5/10
  • Sonic Labyrinth: 1/10

Feel like I might have made some enemies with this...

Nah, I think I might:

Sonic 3D Blast: 10/10

Sonic 1: 9/10

Sonic 2: 9/10

Sonic Advance: 9/10

Sonic Riders: 8/10

Sonic Unleashed: 8/10 

Shadow The Hedgehog: 8/10 

Sonic Heroes: 8/10 

Sonic 4 (as a whole): 7.9/10 

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: 4.5/10 

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's my list of all the games that I've played and completed:

Sonic 1 - 8/10.

My first Sonic game, long-time favorite for 23 years and introduction to Sonic. Never forget.

Sonic 2 - 8.5/10.

I like it slightly better than Sonic 1. It is faster, has better gameplay, stages and better mood overall.

Sonic 3&K - 9/10.

The best of the first three (not counting CD here). The most diverse and gameplay wise the most solid experience. Good music, visuals and the progression between stages is amazing.

Sonic CD (2011) - 9/10.

I really love this one. Great visuals, cool level themes, the best music (JP/EU) in the series, introduction to awesome Metal Sonic and animated intro/ending videos. Such a brilliant piece of Sonic goodness in my eyes and heart. Even with its flaws this is probably my favorite 2D Sonic title ever, I could rate this even higher than Sonic 3&K, but I always seem to feel equal love toward both games. Sonic CD still has that something I can't find in Sonic 3.

Sonic 3D Blast - 5/10.

This one was interesting. I found it pretty hard to play and perceive. As a whole it was still quite interesting to play this and complete it as a kid. I don't have much to say about, I didn't find this game very important and great to me.

Sonic 4 series - 1/10.

The most disappointing entry in the series for me. I waited this for a long time, I even felt hyped for this. I expected a solid 2D Sonic game which it wasn't in any way. I have to give this game one point just for completing it.

Sonic Spinball - 6.5/10.

I've completed this a couple times and loved it as a kid. Not as much nowadays. It is difficult, sometimes I struggle a lot playing this. Sonic as a spinball game is a nice idea. I like the music in this game and those bonus stages are cool.

Sonic Unleashed - 6/10

I mostly only liked the day stages, night stages usually felt too long and repetitive. The visuals in this game are very nice. I also like most of the music even though I prefer classic Sonic type music over modern style. I think the learning curve goes up way too much towards the end. Final bosses pretty much suck in newer Sonic games, here too. Sorry.

Sonic Rush series - 7/10

I liked both Rush games. Good music, nice level themes and entertaining gameplay. Not really a fan of boosting, linear level desing and lack of exploration, something that the classic trio (Sonic 1 - 3&K) offered. Still I find these games quite enjoyable to play.

Sonic Generations - 7.5/10.

For me, this is the better Unleashed. I'm usually more of a classic Sonic guy, but in this game I liked modern Sonic better. Classic Sonic doens't feel right, but it's not bad. It doesn't play like it should, I wish it felt as fluid as it used to back in the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Too lazy to review them all, so only the classic games.

Sonic 1: 6/10 (6.5 for the Taxman version) (Only Green Hill & Starlight are good, every other Zone sucked, either had bad platforming section or where TOO SLOW, mostly since Sonic is a game about going fast, and you would get so many game overs, wich in the Gen vesion is a problem since Game Over = Playing the game from the very beggining, thanks Taxman, also the Special Stage sucked)

Sonic 2: 7/10 (7.5 for Taxman version) (While the level design's better than the Sonic 1 design, later there's parts that are even more unfair, Mystic Caves had the infamous pit of death, aswell as unfair spikes, metropolis had unfair enemy placement and frustrating jumps, and the final boss was just trial and error, and same game over problem from Sonic 1, the special stages were better tho.)

Sonic CD 6/10 (7 for the Taxman version) (Unfair & Messy level design, stupid time travelling system, men this game had potential, the special stages weren't good but better than Sonic 1's)

Sonic 3 & Knuckles 9/10 (A Sonic Masterpiece, finally having a save feature, meaning no annoying game overs, and if you liked the game over = go to the very beggining, then it's an option, amazing level design that is huge and offers great exploration, and isn't as messy as CD's, plus there's character only paths wich is great and allows for greata replay value, great storytelling, you don't need dumb text boxes, no, show don't tell is this game's... game, world transitions are also neat, the graphics look even better than the previous games, man this game's great, the only flaw is that you need to buy both Sonic 3 & Sonic & Knuckles to get the full experience, plus the special stages sucked)

SPECIAL STAGE:

On 25/10/2016 at 7:06 AM, baba_944 said:

Nah, I think I might:

Sonic 3D Blast: 10/10

Sonic 1: 9/10

Sonic 2: 9/10

Sonic Advance: 9/10

Sonic Riders: 8/10

Sonic Unleashed: 8/10 

Shadow The Hedgehog: 8/10 

Sonic Heroes: 8/10 

Sonic 4 (as a whole): 7.9/10 

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: 4.5/10 

How can Yo love such Descent - Mediocre at best games, yet hate a Masterpiece such as Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

Based on what I’ve played:

Terrible (1 to 2.5): None, but that’s because I didn’t play RoL, 06, or Secret Rings

Bad (3-4.5): Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Lost World 3DS

Mediocre (5-5.5): Sonic Heroes, Sonic Forces, Sonic Generations 3DS, Sonic Rivals

Okay (6-6.5): Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 4 Episodes 1&2, Sonic Rivals 2, Sonic Lost World, Sonic Adventure, Unleashed HD, Unleashed Wii,

Good (7-7.5): Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Colors, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Colors DS, 

Great (8-8.5): Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic CD, Sonic Generations

Awesome (9-10): Sonic 3&K, Sonic Mania

This is for what I've Played:

Sonic the Hedgehog (5/10): I'm just one of those people who just can't get stuck into the classic games. I can't get past the third zone and I find the platforming to be very sluggish at points. Music was great and I have huge respect for it starting such a recognisable franchise.

Sonic 2 (4.5/10): I'm just not into the genesis games. I was born in 2001, and my points with Sonic the Hedgehog remain here. However, I find it slightly worse than Sonic the Hedgehog. Could never get passed Chemical Plant Act 2 because of the bullshit with those block platforms always blocking my jump to the other block platform.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (6.5/10): My points remain about the previous two games. But Sonic 3 was better than both as it had an actual story and Hyper Sonic was extremely fun to play with. Knuckles was a great character introduction.

Sonic CD (8/10):The best classic game by a long shot, incredible graphics, amazing soundtrack and speed was balanced perfectly with the platforming.

Sonic 3D Blast (3.5/10): Don't get me started, that game is just plain boring and has no interest factor whatsoever. The music is quite nice though. 

Sonic Labyrinth (0.5/10): By far one of the worst Sonic games I've ever played, it competes with Sonic 06 for fucks sake!

Sonic the Fighters (6/10): Really fun and is great to play with friends, however there are major flaws with the controls being delayed at points.

Sonic Adventure (6.5/10): I'll give it probs, it's better than Adventure 2 and has such much more great gameplay styles. I liked all gameplay styles apart from Amy and Big.

Sonic Adventure 2 (5.5/10): Never was a fan of the Adventure games. However Adventure 2 lacked control and was sluggish from start to finish. This is one reason why I couldn't stand the speed stages. The mech stages were the best part about the game. The soundtrack and story were fantastic.

Sonic Heroes (7/10): I loved it, thought it was great. Playing it now however, I only like it due to nostalgia.

Shadow the Hedgehog (7.5/10): For what ever reason, it was always my guilty pleasure. I just loved it, but it was always painfully mediocre at best and borderline bad at worst. The story was crummy, but the music and gameplay was enough to make up for it in my eyes.

Sonic Rush (8.5/10): Fantastic game, it always delivered great thrills and excitement. Blaze had a fantastic introduction, and it is a shame we don't see her much nowadays. 

Sonic 06 (0/10): Hands down the worst video game I ever played, I would compliment the music but it's just so out of touch for a Sonic game. The graphics were nice, but they were glaring as the fancy smanchy art style did not go with Sonic. The game was unplayable and the story was a massive mindfuck. Bestiality and time travel, need I say no more??

Sonic Rush Adventure (9.5/10): Loved it from start to finish, better than the original Rush.

Sonic and the Secret Rings (4/10): Hated it, the repeated Seven Rings in Hand gets ruptured into your head anytime you enter the menu from a stage. The gameplay was wonky, and all of it was on rails. The art book styled cutscenes were a neat touch, and the Party Mode was the best part of the game. So fun, and had really good memories with it (party mode that is).

Sonic Unleashed (10/10) (X360 & Wii): My first ever Sonic game, and the best VIDEO GAME to ever exist. It has the best music and vocal themes in the series. The graphics are phenomenal. The medal collecting is an addictive side quest from the main game. The story is the best story in a sonic game. People seem to loathe the Werehog, but he's great. His platforming was fantastic, he controlled fine. The combat was very fun, and it was awesome unlocking new combos. The day stages were incredible, they were so filled with adrenaline from all the fast paced gameplay and it just was the greatest. Though Eggmanland was a pain in the arse, it was still so fun and exhilarating despite losing so many lives on that stage in my first run through. Nothing will ever surpass this masterpiece in my book.

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (7/10): It was a fun racing game, the story was good and the graphics were nice. Music was very upbeat and funky with it being a very good soundtrack. There were however some major flaws.

Sonic Chronicles (6/10): Intriging story, and fun for levelling up the characters by playing the battles. The art style was pretty good, but the soundtrack was utter crap (with the exception of the battle theme and Green Hill Zone). 

Sonic and the Black Knight (8/10): Never understood the hate for this game, the story was great. The music was some of the best in the entire series. The gameplay was really fun too, however the game was too easy and that was it's biggest flaws. The graphics are incredible. 

Sonic Colours (5/10): The game was painfully mediocre, horrible voice acting (Tails and Eggman being the exception). Horrible story and alright gameplay, it was fun at times. But it was very basic level design and the 2D sections or should I say 85% of the game! It was just blocky  platforming with a childish gimmick. The music was pretty good and the graphics were very pretty for the Wii (SATBK looks better imo). 

Sonic Generations: (9/10): Great game, despite it being extremely short and having a bad story. The gameplay for modern and level design more than made up for it, Classic Planet Wisp was awfully designed and so was the 2nd half of moderns planet wisp. 

Sonic Lost World (6/10): It's alright, it's fun at times. Only really played the 3DS version though. Major flaws.

Sonic Forces (7/10): I like this game, yeah I said it. I really  liked modern sonic and classic, avatar was horrible for me though. Platforming was terrible and felt wonky, Mortar Canyon was the best stage in the game. It's the best looking Sonic game to date, the soundtrack is amazing. But flaws like the level design, awkward controls at times and automated sections just watered down the experience for me. It's nothing bad, amazing or mediocre. It's just a barely good for me.

Based on what I played.

Sonic the Hedgehog - 9.0/10 
Pretty much what you would expect from the first game. Speedy levels followed by a tedious level and after it another speedy level etc. 

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 9.1/10

There are not that many mechanics that slow you down as in the first one. Casino Night and Metropolis are a little bit weak spots (sloppy pinball mechanics and too complicated design).

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 -9.5/10

Apart from Marble Garden act 1 which is a bit blend imo it was a show of what Genesis is capable of.

Sonic and Knuckles - 9.4/10

As well, a game showing good capability of Genesis hardware, though there are more cons than Sonic 3, mainly Flying Battery act 2 (those slowly rising platforms) and Sandopolis act 2 being well, hell for some. But it´s still better than Metropolis from Sonic 2.

Knuckles´ Chaotix - 6.5/10

Chaotix is interesting thing on its own (and yes I just got through 2 levels). But the mistakes are evident. Too finicky level design = all levels are just too much vertical. It still has some good flow though.

Sonic CD - 9.3/10

Sonic CD was just... well, there is a reason why Christian Whitehead admires it. When you get the level design a bit in mind, it´s perfect game. It´s hell if not. Special Stages are one of the hardest, if not the hardest.

Sonic Adventure - 8.7/10

Hub worlds are fine, but I believe they are just a little bit hard to navigate (as in Sonic 06). The gameplay is sure different from classics, but it can please people with good aesthetics. I won´t talk about automation, boostpads or anything other really.

Sonic Heroes - 7.8/10

Heroes is a good spiritual successor of both Adventure games and I was really digging into Seaside Hill when I played demo years ago. It even has many memorable stages too, but... rails are absolute rubbish (yes, Rail Canyon and Bullet Station) and pinball is sloppy as always (Casino Park/Bingo Highway). Oh and I still have to talk about those curved roads in Grand Metropolis/Power Plant.

Sonic Generations - 8.3/10

I haven´t played Unleashed or Colors, as I don´t like consoles too much. Generations for PCs is a good game even though I am not personally a fan of boost. The stages are pretty much fine (mainly as said by all modern Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill). Classic Sonic feels a bit wonky, but still fine to play with.

Sonic Mania - 9.4/10

Beautifully crafted game by Christian Whitehead, Simon Thomley and co. Iizuka made it a lot more "celebration of Sonic" than developers wanted (or they didn´t want it at all, but Sonic Team :D ) Anyway, the remixed stages were spot on, new stages were great (well, with a little setback of Press Garden Act 1). 

Sonic Forces - 6/10

With Forces there were many things that were destined to fail. Classic Sonic feels like an another character, while Avatar, your own character, that didn´t have anything with Sonic taking the role of No.1 friend, basically. Therefore any spotlight given to the other characters felt like "Oh, they actually are here." Add to that the level design built by, well, lead designer being the one who did very little on Sonic Lost World and two others whose experiences are mobile games and voila we have a mediocre game. Ruining the character development of Tails on top (saving Sonic twice against Eggman in Colors and LW, whilst after those being scared of Chaos 0 that has "the same skills as the original"... sure, seems legit).

Sonic Battle - 9/10

Also giving Amy the new move Girl Bomber.

Sonic Heroes - 8/10

Amy's levels are to short but the game is still good.

Sonic Boom Fire & Ice - 5/10

Characters don't feel animated at all in the gameplay.

Sonic Advance - 9/10

Sonic Advance 3 - 10/10

Great multiplayer and single player.

Sonic Chronicles the Dark Brotherhood 8/10

Music is poor but it adds Blow Kiss for Amy the story and gameplay is excellence.

Sonic Force - 9/10

Sonic Riders - 10/10

Sonic Riders Zero Gravity - 8/10

The story is not as good as the first one.

Sonic Lost World - 6/10

Zeena & Zavok are the best parts out of that game.

• 2 months later...

Okay, lemme see.

Sonic 1 - 7/10

Pretty boring at times, has way too much cheap shit in it (Especially in Scrap Brain Zone) and the final boss is pathetic.

Sonic 2 - 10/10

By far the best 2D Sonic game. The speed, the variety in level themes and gimmicks, and the bombastic bosses truly make it a franchise-seller. 

Sonic CD - 6/10

Level design sucks, time travel mechanic has no reason to exist, Amy has no reason to be in the story whatsoever, and the Metal Sonic fight is underwhelming. But, hey, at least the intro is cool.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - 8/10

I mean, it's Sonic 2, but with a bunch of pointless crap thrown in, like Knuckles, who doesn't fit the gameplay style, the level gimmicks can be downright irritating (Carnival Night barrel, Sandopolis ghost switches, etc), and a whole ton of bullcrap, like having to get the Chaos Emeralds TWICE. Still, it has it's fair share of good moments, so, pass, I guess.

Sonic Chaos - 6/10

A more platform-heavy, cheesy and sloppy bastard child of Sonic 2 and Sonic CD. But, hey, at least it's portable.

Sonic Triple Trouble - 7/10

Basically just Sonic Chaos but with a few changes for the better. 

Sonic Spinball - 5/10

A chaotic mess of a game (Both the GameGear and Megadrive versions), with huge difficulty spikes and wonky physics. Pretty bad if you ask me.

Mean Bean Machine - 8/10

It's freaking Puyo Puyo with AOSTH robots in it. I mean, you can't make the OG Puyo Puyo bad.

Sonic Labyrinth - 5/10

It's a bad SONIC game, but it's not really as bad if you look at it from a non-Sonic perspective.

Sonic Blast - 6/10

GameGear Sonic&Knuckles. Eh, it's okay.

Sonic the Fighters - 6/10

Where's the game?

Sonic Drift - 5/10

It's generic and boring. That's all.

Sonic Drift 2 - 7/10

Sonic Drift, but actually playable. 

Sonic 3D Blast - 3/10

Because collecting fragile as fuck birds and throwing them into a basketball hoop is what I want from a Sonic game!

Tails' Adventure - 8/10

The only Sonic game where Tails actually does something. Plus, the only GOOD side-character-centric spinoff.

Tails' Skypatrol - 5/10

Boring and frustrating game that has barely anything to do with the Sonic series.

Knuckles Chaotix - 5/10

Looks nice, plays like shit.

Sonic R - 3/10 

Sonic Drift was better than this one, honestly.

Sonic Adventure - 7/10

Edgy DeviantArt Sonic redesigns fight destruction gods. Sonic, Gamma and Knuckles play alright, everyone else is shit.

Sonic Adventure 2 - 6/10

They took the only enjoyable things from the first game and made them more tedious. Thanks, Sega.

But, at least the story and music are good. 

Sonic Shuffle - 4/10

Let's take Nintendo's overpriced minigame collection and make our own version of it! Except that this minigame collection is even worse!

Sonic Advance - 6/10

It's like Classic Sonic, but worse.

Sonic Advance 2 - 7/10

Cream is here, and she kicks ass. 10/10, best Sonic to ever exist.

Sonic Advance 3 - 6/10

Somehow, they fucked this one up. 

Sonic Battle - 6/10

It's like Sonic the Fighters, but now you can actually play the game.

Sonic Pinball Party - 4/10

The only good thing to come out of it is this commercial

Sonic Genesis - 2/10

You've made a Classic game play like shit. Sega, you bastards!

Sonic Heroes - 5/10

Stupid, boring and glitchy. What a sad way to go cross-platform.

Shadow the Hedgehog - 4/10

It's like Heroes, but infinitely better and infinitely worse at the same time.

Also, obligatory "Shadow sucks, bring back Green Hill" joke.

Sonic Riders - 5/10

Good premise, not so good execution.

Sonic Rush - 6/10 

Press X and occasionally mash the right trigger. That's the game.

Sonic Rush Adventure - 7/10

Australian robot pirates hunt down Sonic and Blaze. What a story.

Also, boat levels, for some reason.

Sonic Chronicles - 6/10

Could've been a decent line of spinoffs, had Penders not taken all of his precious enchiladas away.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games - 4/10

A fanfic turned into a minigame collection that's worse than Sonic Shuffle.

Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) - 5/10

At least it doesn't have teamwork and missions. Still not very good tho.

Sonic Unleashed - 7/10

Boost to win, but now in 3D. Also, werewolf Sonic is here.

Sonic Colors - 6/10

Chicken Little aliens ruin an okay boost game for the Wii. 

Also, the writing makes me want to rip my ears out.

Sonic And The Secret Rings - 1/10

Wii motion controls ruin a Sonic game so badly, that it somehow becomes worse than Sonic Genesis

Sonic And The Black Knight - 5/10

At least it's better than the last one. The controls still ruin everything tho.

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity - 7/10

The PS2 version is great, and the Wii one suffers from motion controls.

Also, you play as Amy in the Babylonians' campaign. For some reason.

Sonic Free Riders - 0.5/10

They ruined EVERYTHING. EVERY SINGLE THING!

Also, yeah, no more Y-Gi-Oh voice actors for you, Sonic.

Sonic Generations - 8/10

Is it good? Yes!
Is it worth 60$? No, because it's too short!

Sonic All Stars Racing - 9/10

Sonic Kart, except that instead of Pink Gold Sonic we have classic Sega Characters.

Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed - 10/10

Best 3D Sonic game. Ever.

Sonic Lost World - 4/10

Shitty Mario Galaxy clone with bad everything. 

Also, who came up with the idea of making the Tellytubbies the main antagonists?

Sonic Boom Rise Of Lyric - 2/10

Feels more like a rushed TV show license, than a standalone title.

Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal - 3/10

It's like they didn't even try with this one.

Sonic Boom: Fire And Ice - 6/10

Holy shit, they improved!

Sonic Mania - 6/10

Soulless nostalgia cashgrab. Plays good, but has barely anything original about it.

Sonic Forces - 3/10

This is what happens when you develop the graphical engine more than the actual game.

Sonic 1 - 5/10. I respect what this game is trying to do but I don't think the level design takes enough advantage of what makes Sonic fun. I just don't have that good of a time with it.

Sonic 2 - 7.5/10. Now we're talking. Good levels. Tails. Spindash. FIRE ass soundtrack. This is the Sonic I like. The level design is kind of clunky sometimes and last 3 levels or so suck but that's about it.

Sonic 3. 8.5/10. The closest Sonic has come to platforming perfection. The level design is near perfect, there's an actual story, and the soundtrack is one of the best in the series. The special stages don't suck for the first time so going the distance and getting 100% is fun with a surprise waiting for you at the end. 

Sonic CD - 6/10. This game's level design doesn't gel with me at all but aesthetically it's a perfect game to me. I also think it's really good at worldbuilding and being devoted to it's themes. I really want a game like this with Mania level design. 

Sonic Adventure - 7.5/10. This game isn't very good from a technical perspective but I love it, personally. Station square has a comfy vibe that isn't really in the rest of the series. The story being non linear and developing the characters in new ways makes it interesting. Controlling the characters in 3D is genuinely fun with some of the fun coming from how exploitable the physics and movesets are. A polished up version of this game would just be less fun, so I like it the way it is. Some stuff is undeniably rough though, like Sonic falling through the stage or being a little wonky at high speeds. Not a good look.

Sonic Adventure 2 - 6.5/10. This game's kind of what I was talking about above where a more polished version wouldn't be as fun. Sonic feels a lot easier to control in general here though, and the twitchy reflex based levels are genuinely fun to speed run. There's a lot of good tweaks made to his movement like the instant light dash and the bounce bracelet. I don't have a problem with the bigger treasure hunting levels and I actually prefer them like this. They can  miss me with the shooting levels though and some of the levels just felt kind of rushed or half baked regardless of the style. Imo this game has a lot going for it though introducing two genuinely likable mains with Shadow and Rouge and having a unique soundtrack. The multiplayer mode gave it a boost because that mode was fun as hell. I think with a few tweaks this could be up there with Sonic Adventure.

Sonic Heroes - 4/10 I don't have a lot of love for this game upon revisit. The aesthetic and soundtrack are wonderful but a lot of the gameplay ideas just don't really work. 

Shadow the Hedgehog - 5/10 Aight look if you look past the aesthetic this game is a better version of heroes. The sheer amount of joy I've gotten from this game undeniable with the insane shit it keeps pulling in both story and gameplay. The branching paths system is actually really cool and it should come back.

Sonic Unleashed - 7.5/10 I really wish I could rate this game higher but there's too many missteps. It's a wonderful experience if you're willing to meet it halfway though. Those fast paced twitchy levels just work when you learn the layout and really get into it. There's nothing else like them in the series. Some of the werehog levels are a slog but I honestly enjoy some of them and the combat got better as the game went on so it didn't bother me that much. The whole world tour atmosphere was wonderful and unique. I loved the NPCs and the towns and everything. 

Sonic Colors - 6.5/10. Another aesthetically near perfect Sonic game that has level design I don't like asjnkcnkervnkelrgne third time's the charm. You know the drill. Music's wonderful, visually it's wonderful, but the game as a game isn't there for me. It also started the whole Sonic and Tails standing around joking thing which is lame but it's not as bad in this game. THe good thing is that there are no real "lows" and the game is consistently eh to kinda fun throughout. 

Sonic Generations - 7/10 This is probably the most purely fun sonic game and the one I'd recommend to newcomers first since it's easy and polished and just a good time. Not a lot of it sticks out in my memory though compared to the other games on this list. The classic levels don't grab me whenever I replay the game either. I honestly think a lot of those missions were fun though.

Sonic Lost World - 3/10. Aesthetically control wise level design this game just doesn't vibe with me on any level. The soundtrack is waaay weaker than the other games too. I don't have much to say about it because I only played it once unlike pretty much every other game here.

Sonic Mania - 8/10. Okay level design wise? This game is the fucking shit right here. These levels are such a joy. Even the old ones have so many new gimmicks to play with. The addition of the drop dash makes controlling Sonic flow so much better that I legit hope they go back and put it in the other classic games. The soundtrack is also fucking awesome and the best modern soundtrack since colors. Cons would be the wack boss fights, wack story and weird lack of polish in some areas, but it's a slam dunk otherwise. 

Sonic Forces - 3.5/10 - This is barely a game, but getting to high 5 Sonic puts it above lost world. 

Classic era:

• Sonic 1: 8/10
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles: 9/10
  • Sonic CD: 8/10
  • Sonic Mania: 5/10 (9 minus 4 penalty = only 5 for making Eggman already know about Phantom Ruby instead of having him only know about it in Sonic Forces, which creates the damn split timeline)

Adventure era:

• Sonic Adventure: 10/10 (the best of them all, I have yet to see a game better than this one)
  • Sonic Adventure 2: 9,5/10
  • Sonic Heroes: 9/10
  • Shadow the Hedgehog: 8/10
  • Sonic Riders: 8,5/10
  • Sonic Riders Zero Gravity: 8/10
  • Sonic 2006: 6,5/10

Modern era:

• Sonic Unleashed: 7,5/10
  • Sonic Colours: 6/10
  • Sonic Generations: 4/10
  • Sonic Lost World: 2/10 (the worst of them all)
  • Sonic Forces: 3/10 (7 minus 4 penalty = only 3 because Classic Sonic)
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1