Awoo.

Statuses Ignoring Borders

Nepenthe

Kinda self-explanatory: The text is leaving the cell and being cut off a little bit. Am I the only one this is happening to?

SSMB_statuses_zpsmdbt1eob.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Nope, you're not alone.

It seems to come and go, so I assume something specific has to happen on the front page--certain types of statuses, maybe--but I haven't noticed a pattern yet.

You're not the only one, as already been told.

Except, much already said, it comes and goes. Hasn't happened to me today, however.

This is to do with the "read more" functionality. By default the software truncates the status' text and forces you to go to its single status page (or use the "n replies" popup, which is a custom modification we coded) to read the whole thing. There's an undocumented setting in the original code which enables the "read more" link, but the code for it is broken - the status widget uses a particular method (in HTML/CSS) of stopping the box stretching when you have a particularly long word (as this topic is about), but it has the side-effect of making it impossible to extend the box downwards to match how big the text is - it just stays the same height and the link seems useless.

So, we disabled the anti-stretching behaviour in order to get the expansion behaviour working, since that seemed more important what with statuses being such a big part of the community here :) It's something I'd like to fix properly sometime, but I don't know if it's even possible without mangling the code beyond recognition.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm having this problem too, and meant to start a thread about it but never got around to it.

I can't think of any long words in particular that are causing it, but it typically happens whenever URLs are posted in the statuses that stretch the status box out, from what I'm noticing. Tried sharing the new STS for myself and then suddenly it went all Statuses Without Borders!

• 3 months later...