Awoo.

Why does Cartoon Network insist on screwing over Sonic Boom?

RLS Legacy

Title. This continues to royally aggravate me. Even after the surprise success of Season 1 (averaging a million views per episode), CN are evidently trying to sweep Boom under the rug.

Season 2 fucking premiered this morning, and they put it on at 6AM, when very few people are awake. Did they not learn from this the first time around?

Plus they do no advertising, no commercials, absolutely no publicity whatsoever. Literally the only way you would know it was happening would be if you followed Sonic on social media, which most kids aren't doing. It's as if they're deliberately sending it out to die, and THEN they have the gall to fill the rest of the day with 50,000 episodes of Teen Titans Go.

Cartoon Network (and SEGA, I guess), listen up: IF-YOU-DO-NOT-MAKE-ANY-EFFORT-TO-PROMOTE-YOUR-SHOW-IT-WILL-NOT-SUCCEED.

Also, searching 'Sonic Boom Season 2 premiere' on Google for results within the last 24 hours yields practically nothing. No reviews, no news, no pirated episodes (yes, we're all thinking it) or anything. Do people just.... not care? If so, that's really sad.

Plus, the franchise in general seems to be absent out and about. I see no Boom merchandise, advertising, posters or any such stuff in shops/high streets, contrary to what SEGA promised way back when. Nor have I seen any kind of promotion or TV spots for Fire and Ice, not counting the fast food tie-in that happened over a year before the game released.

It honestly almost feels like all parties involved have given up on trying to push Boom to kids and are relying on the devoted fanbase/occasional word of mouth to keep it afloat.

Thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 2

It's sad really. These series have so much potential. Like with Regular Show, they're just trying to rush it out the door now. Cartoon Network doesn't appreciate that they have shows like BOOM and R.I.D. These are well known brands that could earn them a lot of publicity but CN can't get it together and actually do something beyond Teen Titans GO (Which sucks major balls). And SEGA doesn't necessarily control how CN controls the advertising of their show, but I agree, SEGA should be doing some promoting themselves as well. 

• Thumbs Up 8

12 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

It's the same with Transformers Robots in Disguise and Pokémon. Cartoon Network really doesn't care for anything they don't have full creative control over.

And even so shows that they have creative control over get screwed over like young justice, Ben 10 omniverse etc

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel your pain.

The fact that CN does this makes me incredibly upset. Boom deserves better than this, as do the other third-party shows that CN airs. And yes, I suppose some of the fault lies on SEGA for not helping to promote it.

The worst part is, the cartoon is pretty much the biggest factor in helping to keep the entire Boom sub-franchise afloat. If it fails, all the money SEGA spent on it will have been for nothing.

Something needs to be done about this. And if that something is to prove to SEGA and CN that this show is still popular and tune in, so be it.

Though there have been some advertisements for F&I. I've seen 'em on TV.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, they should have just made it a Netflix Original Series or something, and release all of the 52 episodes at once, or if not, just throw out like two episodes every week. It would get far better treatment than what CN is giving it now.

At least Boomerang UK treats the show with some respect, and ends up getting paid off in the end because of it, considering it is, or at least was their highest rated show at one point.

• Thumbs Up 8

CN doesn't really care about shows that it doesn't get merchandise money from and Sonic Boom is no exception to that rule. It really is as simple as that.

Its kind of sad that news places aren't really reporting it, but at the same time, most of the early articles about Season 1 were of the "OMG this doesn't suck unlike the games" variety so I think a lot of people in the news simply never had a lot to report on. Plus we have Sonic Mania and Sonic 2017 to report on now which would draw more traffic to news websites. You still get articles and stuff about Boom but the initial controversy is gone, so there isn't much to say. Everybody knows the show isn't as bad as the games now, and while it has done well considering the situation in the ratings, the ratings aren't so incredible as to warrant calling it a trendy show.

Its kind of a shame. Maybe we Boom fans should start making our own advertisements for Boom or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

It's the same with Transformers Robots in Disguise and Pokémon. Cartoon Network really doesn't care for anything they don't have full creative control over.

1 hour ago, Dejimon11 said:

And even so shows that they have creative control over get screwed over like young justice, Ben 10 omniverse etc

Adding to this, this nowadays largely applies to shows that have a significant element of action in them, which all the shows you mentioned qualify; despite having a pretty large focus on comedy, it seems Sonic Boom falls under this category as well. CN show management has fallen into the same trap as other networks--if show doesn't fit their mold of their most popular cartoon(s); they're going to give it very subpar treatment. It really says something that even shows that are part of cash cow franchises in their own right or do pull in ratings (Beware the Batman and Ben 10 Omniverse concerning the former, Young Justice in the latter) get thrown under the bus.

Personally speaking, I myself think the show is, at best, a step or so above-average. But I really don't understand why CN even bothered to greenlight it for a second season if this was how they were going to treat it; especially since in terms of padding out their schedule slots, they currently seem content to run Teen Titans Go! to extremes, a la Nick did with SpongeBob during the late 2000s/early 2010s. They should had shuffled it off to Boomering, or dropped the airing rights so the producers of the show could shop them elsewhere. Speaking as someone that's a longtime fan of the network and many of their shows (of the past and today), it's really a shame the network still engages in such mismanagement for their programs.

In terms of picking a network/platform for the show to air on, Cartoon Network was a big mistake.

• Thumbs Up 4

It leaves me surprised that they keep going to CN for this stuff. It's been going on for years with Transformers. All the way back to Armada, I think, save for when Hasbro tried their own thing with The Hub.

I can only guess that whatever the case, they're still getting a good deal out of it, even if it looks lousy to us.

I'm not sure if it's actually CN actively screwing over Sonic Boom as much as Sega, or whomever is in charge of distributing the show, not putting any amount of money into promotion.  It's one thing to get your show on the station, it's another to convince them it's worth advertising for.  Even back in CN's most pivotal years, there were many shows that went completely unadvertised.  I have to admit that despite CN's programming being arguably better (despite lacking variety), it does lose a few points to Nick in terms of how long they're willing to keep a show consistently on the air and at a reasonable time.  If a show isn't immediately popular, it  doesn't get aired on the main channel after a few months at most.  No second chances.  Whereas Nick, as bad their programming is, will at least give their programs a chance to improve, beyond a reasonable level of commonsense.

Still, despite CN not placing Boom at a particularly huge level priority, I think it's the probably the best they could have done.  From what I hear, Nick exerts a huge amount of creative control over their shows, and given how bad the quality of their current lineup is, I think we can all agree that Sonic doesn't need that right now.  Discovery Family would be a nice alternative, but they're also exclusive to certain cable plans.  I don't know if there's any other appropriate cartoon-based channels (in the US) they could go to beyond that, though.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/29/2016 at 10:42 AM, SBR2 said:

That new transformer show sucks though, I'm surprised that unfunny and badly animated garbage is still on. I'm not hating on Transformers, I just don't like the new series at all. 

12 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Fortunately the series has been surviving thanks to teletoon that treats the series way better than Cartoon Network.

2 hours ago, SpongicX said:

That's new transformer show sucks though, I'm surprised that unfunny and badly animated garbage is still on. I'm not hating on Transformers, I just don't like the new series at all. 

But it is good, sure it struggled in the beginning but it has been increasingly finding its footing and gotten better with time, especially since the writers are getting more comfortable with more serious themes to the point there's an ongoing plot about Cybertron's corrupt council that hates Optimus and his crew because they consider him the cause for the war and would silence anyone who tries to defend them. They even recently had a tv six episode event featuring the return of Starscream. But of course it's still your opinion, if you dislike the show that's alright.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, Pumpkin Spice Tara said:

I'm not sure if it's actually CN actively screwing over Sonic Boom as much as Sega, or whomever is in charge of distributing the show, not putting any amount of money into promotion.  It's one thing to get your show on the station, it's another to convince them it's worth advertising for.  Even back in CN's most pivotal years, there were many shows that went completely unadvertised.  I have to admit that despite CN's programming being arguably better (despite lacking variety), it does lose a few points to Nick in terms of how long they're willing to keep a show consistently on the air and at a reasonable time.  If a show isn't immediately popular, it  doesn't get aired on the main channel after a few months at most.  No second chances.  Whereas Nick, as bad their programming is, will at least give their programs a chance to improve, beyond a reasonable level of commonsense.

Still, despite CN not placing Boom at a particularly huge level priority, I think it's the probably the best they could have done.  From what I hear, Nick exerts a huge amount of creative control over their shows, and given how bad the quality of their current lineup is, I think we can all agree that Sonic doesn't need that right now.  Discovery Family would be a nice alternative, but they're also exclusive to certain cable plans.  I don't know if there's any other appropriate cartoon-based channels (in the US) they could go to beyond that, though.

While I will agree with that sonic booms marking has been for like... all of its aspects mostly nonexistant. And when it does exist its actively confusing and kind of fighting itself. In cases where CN or AS are involved in a shenanigan, I'm going to blame them. There is a lot of pre existing data suggesting that CN Even under new management has weird ideas of what success is, and a lot of times its quite narrow. And if shows don't fall into that, they don't care , maybe try to kill them off, even their own shows. Instead of adapting and understanding barometers for success is different, they refuse and continue to live in their narrow minded world. I'm gonna blame CN for this one.

I have not forgotten " Oh girls are watching this super hero show , and people aren't buying toys, and the audience is a bit older, those things cant happen. We can't adapt to our new growing audience and sell things that appeal to them and actually make money,And possibly make more shows that this new growing audience would like. That's never happened before on this channel * he says as he stands in front of an old toonami poster* burn Young Justice into the ground".

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, SpongicX said:

That's new transformer show sucks though, I'm surprised that unfunny and badly animated garbage is still on. I'm not hating on Transformers, I just don't like the new series at all. 

Well that's just like you opinion man.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty much all of the above complaints describe what CN has become now. The people running it no longer care about putting out good quality cartoons and just care about putting more money in their pockets from merchandise sales and what not. Gone are the days of good quality shows that get kids to watch it every day after school and Saturday mornings (which unfortunately, are now mostly gone as of 2014). And the last two semi-decent cartoon series will be ending in the next two years and likely to be replaced by even more garbage.

Anyone here watch CN in the 90's?

15 hours ago, sonicgirl313 said:

But it is good, sure it struggled in the beginning but it has been increasingly finding its footing and gotten better with time, especially since the writers are getting more comfortable with more serious themes to the point there's an ongoing plot about Cybertron's corrupt council that hates Optimus and his crew because they consider him the cause for the war and would silence anyone who tries to defend them. They even recently had a tv six episode event featuring the return of Starscream. But of course it's still your opinion, if you dislike the show that's alright.

Thanks for understanding what an opinion is. Most people get really rude and defensive over any opinion I give. I don't say things to upset people, I say things to express what I like and don't like. I don't expect anyone to have to agree with me, yet so many people take it the wrong way, and resort to insults and name calling. 

5 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Well that's just like you opinion man.

I know it's my opinion, I didn't say anyone had to agree with me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

" Oh girls are watching this super hero show , and people aren't buying toys, and the audience is a bit older, those things cant happen. We can't adapt to our new growing audience and sell things that appeal to them and actually make money,And possibly make more shows that this new growing audience would like. That's never happened before on this channel

Last I checked, I believe Paul Dini said that was a decision on DC (or WB's, I forget) end, not Cartoon Network's.

Just now, Pumpkin Spice Tara said:

Last I checked, I believe Paul Dini said that was a decision on DC (or WB's, I forget) end, not Cartoon Network's.

Hmm Last time I had checked they legit gave specific reasons as to why it was canceled which was a combination of reasons, one of the primary ones being toy sales. And while i'm not going to put DC or Especially WB doing some bull crap behind them. The output they are putting out now especially in the animated sector is kind of diverse as ever, the idea they would cancel a show because of demographic problems. Along with that netflix is doing a 3rd season of the show, so... clearly DC/WB whoever, doesn't really care if this show exists if someone is willing to house the show. 

But hey I dunno

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Hmm Last time I had checked they legit gave specific reasons as to why it was canceled which was a combination of reasons, one of the primary ones being toy sales. And while i'm not going to put DC or Especially WB doing some bull crap behind them. The output they are putting out now especially in the animated sector is kind of diverse as ever, the idea they would cancel a show because of demographic problems. Along with that netflix is doing a 3rd season of the show, so... clearly DC/WB whoever, doesn't really care if this show exists if someone is willing to house the show. 

But hey I dunno

I mean, I'm certainly not saying it's a good thing.  Paul Dini admitted there was sexism involved in the cancellation; the primary reason being that it would force the marketing team to, you know, do their jobs.

10 minutes ago, Pumpkin Spice Tara said:

I mean, I'm certainly not saying it's a good thing.  Paul Dini admitted there was sexism involved in the cancellation; the primary reason being that it would force the marketing team to, you know, do their jobs.

hmmm, that's legit interesting. Not completely far fetched, I believe you. I'm not going to pretend their recent output doesn't have those problems rear their head, but it seemed like they were going for everyone. But I get you, a show more complicated than brain dead " this show is for boys, and this show is for girls". Though I dunno, you would think they would let the handsome youngmen, and actually complicated story threads involving romance, speak for themselves but yeah I feel you. WB Gonna WB at the end of the day,  Not good

Hmm, i'm gonna ask around about this

For those confused and want clarification, Dini's statement on the matter can be read here.

Rereading it again, I guess it was CN's decision?  My mistake.

DINI: "They're all for boys 'we do not want the girls', I mean, I've heard executives say this, you know, not [where I am] but at other places, saying like, 'We do not want girls watching this show."

SMITH: "WHY? That's 51% of the population."

DINI: "They. Do. Not. Buy. Toys. The girls buy different toys. The girls may watch the show—"

SMITH: "So you can sell them T-shirts if they don't—A: I disagree, I think girls buy toys as well, I mean not as many as f***ing boys do, but, B: sell them something else, man! Don't be lazy and be like, 'well I can't sell a girl a toy.' Sell 'em a T-shirt, man, sell them f***ing umbrella with the f***ing character on it, something like that. But if it's not a toy, there's something else you could sell 'em! Like, just because you can't figure out your job, don't kill chances of, like, something that's gonna reach an audi—that's just so self-defeating, when people go, like… these are the same fuckers who go, like, 'Oh, girls don't read comics, girls aren't into comics.' It's all self-fulfilling prophecies. They just make it that way, by going like, 'I can't sell 'em a toy, what's the point?'

DINI: "That's the thing, you know I hate being Mr. Sour Grapes here, but I'll just lay it on the line: that's the thing that got us cancelled on Tower Prep, honest-to-God was, like, 'we need boys, but we need girls right there, right one step behind the boys'—this is the network talking—'one step behind the boys, not as smart as the boys, not as interesting as the boys, but right there.' And then we began writing stories that got into the two girls' back stories, and they were really interesting. And suddenly we had families and girls watching, and girls really became a big part of our audience, in sort of like they picked up that Harry Potter type of serialized way, which is what The Batman and [indistinct]'s really gonna kill. But, the Cartoon Network was saying, 'F***, no, we want the boys' action, it's boys' action, this goofy boy humor we've gotta get that in there. And we can't—' and I'd say, but look at the numbers, we've got parents watching, with the families, and then when you break it down—'Yeah, but the—so many—we've got too many girls. We need more boys.'"

SMITH: "That's heart-breaking."

DINI: "And then that's why they cancelled us, and they put on a show called Level Up, which is, you know, goofy nerds fighting CG monsters. It's like, 'We don't want the girls because the girls won't buy toys.' We had a whole… we had a whole, a merchandise line for Tower Prep that they s***canned before it ever got off the launching pad, because it's like, 'Boys, boys, boys. Boys buy the little spinny tops, they but the action figures, girls buy princesses, we're not selling princesses.'"

The only thing CN wants... ....Is to make TTGO AND PPG 2016 MORE POPULAR THEN THE GOOD CN SHOWS (Steven Universe, Pokémon and Sonic Boom)

I hope what CN are going to do for their 25th anniversary next year, like showcase a marathon of old CN shows (Ed Edd n eddy, KND and Scooby-doo on Zombie Island), show more of their new shows for 2017 and onward, greenlight the 3rd season of Sonic Boom and more!

Sadly though.. They might show more TTGO AND PPG 2016 onto your faces and kill off many good CN shows.

27 minutes ago, TheMarioAmigos said:

I hope what CN are going to do for their 25th anniversary next year, like showcase a marathon of old CN shows (Ed Edd n eddy, KND and Scooby-doo on Zombie Island), show more of their new shows for 2017 and onward, greenlight the 3rd season of Sonic Boom and more!

That's not actually CN's decision, what with it being an externally-created show. I believe SEGA themselves are in charge of that, but I'm not entirely sure.

2 hours ago, GhostlyWind said:

That's not actually CN's decision, what with it being an externally-created show. I believe SEGA themselves are in charge of that, but I'm not entirely sure.

Yeah of course! But let's hope they don't milk the bad shows and label them as good shows to kids