Awoo.

Tim Miller (Deadpool) Joins Sonic Movie

Wraith

Not sure if this is the right place but felt it was newsworthy enough for a topic. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-director-tim-miller-developing-sonic-hedgehog-movie-sony-942661

Tim Miller, director of Deadpool has signed onto the Sonic movie. This will do little for the writing, but going by the more visually interesting parts of Deadpool, the action should actually be in good hands!

Thoughts? 

• Thumbs Up 5

This is probably like the first promising sign we've had of this project. Another potential director is Jeff Fowler who's worked at Blur (and subsequently on Sonic cutscenes before), and the producer is the guy who does the Fast and Furious films. Crossing my fingers a little bit.

• Thumbs Up 9

29 minutes ago, Soniman said:

god theyre still getting staff together? This movie will never get done

This movie will never get done

never get done

Dude it comes out 2 YEARS from now

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh boy, they are doing an animated-live action family film (and Sony are involved). That means they are trying to rip off The Smurfs, or a ripoff of a shitty film. I've lost hope in this, if it was darker or PG-13 grade (like originally planned) it would have been somewhat noteworthy but it's now going for an Alvin & The Chipmunks wannabe. It would have been saved if Pontaff wrote it, but I doubt that's happening either. 

Also, I don't think this should be in the "Upcoming Sonic Games" thread, it should be moved from there to the main forum or locked?

5 minutes ago, Sir Laptop said:

That means they are trying to rip off The Smurfs, or a ripoff of a shitty film.

It's sonic the frigging hedgehog man, when did anyone say it was gonna rip-off of anything else.

5 minutes ago, Sir Laptop said:

or locked?

It got made 12 hours ago and gives us info on something new to something people are looking forward to, why would it get locked?

3 hours ago, Flare Sol the Snivy said:

It got made 12 hours ago and gives us info on something new to something people are looking forward to, why would it get locked?

Because there's already a topic for the Sonic movie.............

1 hour ago, Soni.exe said:

Because there's already a topic for the Sonic movie.............

Mirage saloon got its own topic.B)

Let's hope Sonic DOESN'T have a DEADPOOL side in this movie (Breaking the 4th Wall)

1 hour ago, TheMarioAmigos said:

Let's hope Sonic DOESN'T have a DEADPOOL side in this movie (Breaking the 4th Wall)

Colors did it and it wasn't too bad, so it wouldn't be crazy horrible if it was in this

Well this is quite the surprise. But I'm still on the fence about this movie since Sony is overall a pathetic excuse of a movie studio.

17 hours ago, Flare Sol the Snivy said:

Colors did it and it wasn't too bad, so it wouldn't be crazy horrible if it was in this

Oh yeah thanks for reminding me of this (not mad though) ;)

Well be damned, the pre-rendered cutscenes in Shadow were great, and they are more than 10 years old. Hopefully they won't come with any photorealistic hedgehog or something shitty looking like the fan-film. Just keep his model exactly like the games.

7 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Yux7yHjLSdo6sMubfWSKqU_n2xzOcxQlhVRM8TxT

Tim Miller & Jeff Fowler in the credits of Shadow the Hedgehog (2005).

Hey, I made that image! It's cool that it's spreading around.

Anyway, I always thought Shadow's cutscenes looked really well done, especially the opening cinematic. So, seeing that they both worked on those has made me a little bit more excited for this movie. I mean, now we have people from both Blur Studios and Marza Animation Planet working on this. So, at the very least, it should look really nice.

It'll probably look jarring though. Sonic works with cartoony humans, anime humans and everything in between, but 06 proved semi-realism is no good, never mind live action footage. Although the animation will still be nice.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, NeoZero said:

It'll probably look jarring though. Sonic works with cartoony humans, anime humans and everything in between, but 06 proved semi-realism is no good, never mind live action footage. Although the animation will still be nice.

We don't know if they're going for Sonic 2006 when it comes to tone and designs here. Cartoon characters in a live action setting don't have to look realistic. Like, there are of course a lot of recent movies that have done it like that, but also movies like Who Framed Roger Rabbit have shown that cartoons combined with live action can work well.

Of course, it's also possible that they'll go the Smurfs/Alvin and the Chipmunks route and try to make Sonic characters look realistic. In which case, this movie's fucked.

2 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

You should watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It can be done well. :V

Except the whole story was made around the idea of cartoons crossing over into real life... meaning they were not suppose to match at all! Which is why it doesn't work great on most other films where it isn't even often the concept of the story.

10 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Except the whole story was made around the idea of cartoons crossing over into real life... meaning they were not suppose to match at all! Which is why it doesn't work great on most other films where it isn't even often the concept of the story.

The story doesn't have to explain them being cartoon characters for them to look like cartoon characters though. And Roger Rabbit isn't the only example:

43ODASi.png

Then again, looking at more recent movies that are live action/CG hybrids, the trend is to have the cartoon characters look realistic. Thankfully companies have been moving away from that more recently, with them going for fully animated movies instead (see Smurfs). But still, hopefully they won't go the "realistic cartoon" route and instead try to retain the original designs. Marza Animation Planet doing the animation is promising at least.

Though either way, I imagine that it would still not be similar to Sonic 2006 in tone at least. Having realistic versions of cartoons is a trend in hollywood, but making them dark and edgy isn't. :V

I know that this can be considered outdated since he's no longer with the project anymore but Van said like 2 years ago that Sonic movie won't go for the Chipmunks/Smurfs route.

But that might change with the new crew, hopefully that doesn't change but you never know 

Since Marza Planet is involved with this I'm sure that the CGI will be beautiful I wish it was just a CGI film instead since I can't recall many live action/CGI films being good and since this is Sonic we're talking about it could go either way.

I highly doubt the movie will go for realistic approach like The Smurfs movies. I mean if Sonic Team was so against Sonic Boom's early concept designs then I'm pretty sure they wouldn't support realistic CGI sonic. 

Interesting to hear that Tim Miller and Fowler worked on Sonic in the past. CG Cutscenes in Shadow the Hedgehog were pretty impressive to see. With Marza's talent on board, there's no doubt that the animation portions of the movie will look spectacular. Hopefully the writing will be on the same board.