Awoo.

Rick & Morty (Season 3 Concluded)

Ryannumber1gamer

rick_and_morty_s02_still.jpg

For those that don't know, Rick and Morty is an animated comedy series that's running on Adult Swim, and is quite possibly one of the greatest don't judge a book by it's cover shows out there. The series stars Rick Sanchez, an alcoholic genius scientist and his grandson Morty as they go through a bunch of weird and wacky adventures through space, different planets, and other dimensions. At first glance, the show is a relatively simple by the books comedy. We have some jokes that go across the line, we have some jokes that rely on toilet humor, but look deeper in, and you find a lot of varied and smart humor, a lot of genius movie references, and a whole lot more. It's a show that looks simple at the first glimpse, but if you give it a chance, you might just find yourself surprised at how really good this series can be. 

Outside of Rick and Morty, there's usually a second plot involving the rest of the family, including Jerry who is Rick's son in law, and is a screw-up who usually ends up in messed up situations, Beth, a horse surgeon and Rick's daughter, and Summer, Rick's granddaughter and brother to Morty. These adventures vary between slice of life and Slice of life that slowly gets more insane thanks to their demanding use of Rick's gadgets leading to weirder, and more dangerous consequences. 

For those who don't know, Season 3 is about to begin, and Season 2 ended on a really heartcrushing way, another reason this show gets really great if you stick with it. Season 1 had some moments where it can break your heart with tearjerkers, but Season 2's greatest strength is it's balance of humor with drama. The comedy in Season 2 is still there, and in the forefront and it's still amazing, and even potentially better than Season 1, but Season 2 also had the goal of diving into Rick as a character and breaking down that he isn't just some genius who always wins, but really gets down to his character flaws such as his self-destructive personality, and Season 2 ended on quite a cliffhanger.  (Warning: Season 2 Spoilers in the spoiler tag)

Spoiler

After all of Rick's actions came back to haunt him by getting his best friends killed at a wedding thanks to an undercover agent for the Galactic Federation as it's revealed Rick is part of the top wanted list in the entire galaxy, but Rick also screwed up life for the rest of his family, and causing them to be unable to return to Earth under threat that they'd torture the rest of the family to get information on Rick that they won't have. This led to them being forced to live on a similar planet to Earth that's on a far tinier scale, and can be literally explored in a few hours. After Rick goes looking for the North Pole, he finds the core of the planet, and begins overhearing a conversation between the rest of the family.

Jerry is trying to convince the rest of the family to turn Rick in for exchange for the rest of them, causing Beth to break down into tears about not wanting Rick to leave her again. Rick, overhearing the entire thing finally realizes what an asshole he is, and how he's practically destroyed the lives of all he cares about, and decides to do one of the few selfless things in his live, giving himself up to the Galactic Federation by telling the rest of the family he was going for ice cream, and then while flying in a ship, calling the Federation and pretending to be Jerry, giving them the location of where he's going, and telling them to promise to grant the entire family safe access back to Earth in exchange for him. The next few moments shows Rick sadly drinking his sorrows one more time, looking at a picture of him and his best friends, before throwing it away, and finally giving himself up, without the family knowing the sacrifice he made for the rest of them.

We see the family return to Earth, which is now part of the Galactic Federation, meaning that it's filled with aliens, and new technology, and while Beth, Morty, and Summer are completely miserable about the loss of Rick, Jerry is excited when a robot tells him how to get a job. Rick meanwhile is hauled off to prison for the rest of his years, and the show ends on it's most downer line yet.

Prisoner: "So what are you in for?"

Rick: "...Everything..." 

The song that comes with the scene also helps add the impact to it, the song being Nine Inch Nails' cover of Hurt.

All I'm gonna say is if you haven't watched the show, definitely give it a try, because it can surprise me. It certainly surprised me when it showed up on Netflix UK over the last few months, and it's grown to be one of my favourite adult animation shows. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Dizcrybe said:

Is there a date for the premiere?

None as of yet, just that it's meant to be before the end of the year.

Nice! I've just recently *burp* started watching this series on Netflix, and I've *burp* gotta say, it's pretty fuc*ing funny! I'm on season 2, episode 3, IMO, the second season so far isn't as funny as the first one, but I'll hope it will get better, and even better on season 3, wubba-lubba-dub-dub!

• 2 months later...

i did not see this thread before whoops. i am so pumped for season 3 holy moly. the fact that season 2 ended on a giant cliffhanger and a really sad line....it makes me sad and mad :/ i just want season 3 ;w; my fave character is morty. i think he's gotten a lot of character development over the 2 seasons. my favorite episode is Mortynight run. i find it hilarious even though there's a theory surrounding that episode that freaks me out but, still a good episode. i love the jokes and everything.

So, this is pretty awesome. It's a fanmade animation and VA but it's so good.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Season 3's officially begun airing. Every sunday at 11:30pm EST on Adult Swim. UK viewers will be getting episodes on Netflix but it's unsure how long we have to wait to get them (It's rumoured to be a week).

loved rickmancing the stone and pickle rick. i love the humor and everything in it. also summer seems to be developing more as a character this season which is always good c:

I swear Season 3 so far seems to be designed to just make you really despise Beth. 

Season 3 is really showing how much of a disfunctional family they all are, and it all goes back to Rick's behavior, it's clear he basically got Beth on an emotional trap, because of her own daddy issues, and she keeps ignoring it because of him giving her positive reinforcement for her actions, while also fueling her self destructive behaviour.

On another note, wow watching this episode while eating was a mistake.

i really hope that they fix beth and her issues and just the whole family's issues.. i dunno man this whole show is insane like..the family has so many issues it's not even funny. but at the same time it's interesting to see how dysfunctional they are and how much rick has affected the family, yknow?

Netflix UK's listed some of the upcoming Season 3 episodes. One seems to be based on telling stories based on the other universal versions of Rick called "Tales from the Citadel", seemingly referring to the Citadel of Ricks. Maybe it's gonna finally shine some light on Evil Morty too?

Also, Beth is getting a focus episode called the "ABCs of Beth".

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

That, or it's more along the lines of "Man, I get why autistic people like this game now!" Hard to say for sure

i took it as he indeed confirmed that he is autistic which would be cool to me. we always need more autistic representation in shows.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, not that I'm not for more characters in fiction representing autistics, but I'd rather not have people think autistics are like Rick.

• Thumbs Up 5

You know, honestly I can't help but feel Season 3 was relatively weak compared to Seasons 1 and 2. Stuff like Jerry and Rick's subplot was rushed and never got a conclusion to the point it was ultimately pointless, they were right about episodes getting darker, but they ended up losing a lot of the fun factor involved in it etc. The episodes I feel were strong was the ones that didn't try to ultimately change things. Rick and Ricklaxation, Morty's Mind Blowers, Ricklantis Mixup. Compared to episodes like Rickmancing the Stone which was based around just showing us Summer acting crazy, Morty getting psychotic and Rick trying to get around without them, they just felt weaker due to their attempt at making things darker.